PDA

View Full Version : An interpretation.

turgid_blood
08-03-2005, 10:29 AM
This song, the lead in song to Parabola, is about a mother and child simply put - but so much more. In order to show this, allow me to break it down one part at a time.

"So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now.
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild."

Merely a prelude, or glimpse of what is to come after the birth of the child. The form being held is a newborn child by, presumably, it's mother. Wide eyed means observant of astounding possibilities, yet oblivious to it's limitations in this world, which is why it is also referred to as hopefully wild - for if you don't know your limitations, your hopes and dreams may be far-fetched.

Which brings us to these verses, a flashback to a time prebirth, mother and child en utero.

"We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside..."

'We barely remember' is a thought shared by both the mother and child, although for differing reasons. The mother simply has never felt so much joy in her life - despite the pain- that all memories are faint and she cannot recall anything prior to the moment. The child is becoming aware for the first time, so it has no past TO remember.

The second line speaks of both the mother's will to have the child and the child's choice to be born. The reason I said the latter is because some religions believe that, before we inhabit our earthly bodies, we are fully aware and make an actual conscious choice to be born, and to whom we will be born to.

'Hold on, stay inside...' is mother speaking to child, knowing that this thing she nurtured in the womb will now enter the world, and she will no longer be able to protect the child from the harsh realities of life.

"This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion."

These are the child's thoughts. 'This body holding me' is an almost direct reference to the mother's body. 'Reminding me that I am not alone in (this world)' - an inference necessitated by the circumstances I've laid out in previous paragraphs. When a child is born, the bond between mother and offspring is so strong that there seems to be an almost telepathic quality to the relationship. That is the reminder that the child is not alone - there is someone to nurture it further, outside the womb.

A feeling of being eternal is a reference to our ignorance of mortality at such an early stage. It could be that existence prior to birth is so lackluster and devoid of feeling, that mortality is even more cherished for the abundance of experiences available in this reality. Pain being an illusion is signifying of this as well. That, despite the reality of pain, we will regard it as a temporary illusion during our existence, is simply our mortal minds clinging to the hope that we will not experience the pain that goes along with the joy in living.

It may even be taken literally, that pain is our brains interpretation of what our body is feeling. Relating pain to electrical impulses, neuron transmissions, chemical reactions, and pondering the nature of how and why our brains interpret these inputs as pain, seems to make it all the more an illusion.

I feel the lyrics are inspired by MJK's mother and his son, Devo.

Comments are welcome. I may or may not do a followup post involving Parabola. Time will tell.

bluefire
08-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I would alter your statement slighty, i dont think its through the mother's eyes, but maynard's own. Upon his child's birth, he realizes that there is more to life than himself, that he is connected to this child because it is a part of him. My guess is that child birth significantly changed maynard's perspective of life.