PDA

View Full Version : Tool's Old Production Habits

TurdEye13
08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
What happened to Tool?

Remember between Undertow and Aenima? The time between the release of those two albums is the shortest to date. I personally believe it is all these mediocre side projects that get in the way of Tool's real potential. Don't you guys wish it was like that all the time?

Really, if you think about it, we may have had three more albums to date.

Opiate(EP)-1992
Undertow-1993
Aenima-1996
Salival-2000
Lateralus- 2001
????????-2005/2006

Hman
08-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Why rush them?

Dirty Sanchez
08-02-2005, 04:47 PM
They fought with their record company between aenima and lateralus.

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
They fought with their record company between aenima and lateralus.

Bingo. And opiate was a teaser/"appestizer" for undertow, as salival was for lateralus.

triad636
08-02-2005, 05:01 PM
just wait man.. im sure we will be blown away by the new album .... sure its better to bang out albums quick if you want to hear crap....thats why opiate + Salival were'nt full albums... cuz i have a feeling if opiate was a full album then a year later undertow wouldnt be as good as it was.... think about it...

BatterY316
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I think they get to busy with their kniting

Chris_Brightwell
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
What happened to Tool?
Lateralus was actually delayed due to legal issues. Then they toured on it for 18 months. If they'd gone right back and recorded a new album, do you think it would be worth listening to?

Honestly, I'm glad to hear that they're out working with other people (Adam w/ The Melvins, Justin w/ Isis, Danny w/ PLC and Skinny Puppy, and MJK w/ APC). It gives them an opportunity to find new influences and widen their ability and their overall sound.

All of those new tweaks and influences help the new album to be more than the last album. I welcome that.

Chris_Brightwell
08-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Bingo. And opiate was a teaser/"appestizer" for undertow, as salival was for lateralus.
It was a debut EP to see how well the market would receive them, which they did. It's what put them on the map and on Lollapalooza in 1993.

Bogart
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
i dont think its because of the side projects at all, ive read in interviews several times where tool members want time to grow before they release albums

flipmojo
08-03-2005, 01:53 AM
What happened to Tool?

Remember between Undertow and Aenima? The time between the release of those two albums is the shortest to date. I personally believe it is all these mediocre side projects that get in the way of Tool's real potential. Don't you guys wish it was like that all the time?

Really, if you think about it, we may have had three more albums to date.

Opiate(EP)-1992
Undertow-1993
Aenima-1996
Salival-2000
Lateralus- 2001
????????-2005/2006

I think I get what you mean. Tool was a different band before Lateralus. That is a true statement. Everything they had went into Tool back then. Now, they do spread themselves around alot. But they are still Tool and they will not disappoint.

Noumenon
08-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Honestly, I'm glad to hear that they're out working with other people (Adam w/ The Melvins, Justin w/ Isis, Danny w/ PLC and Skinny Puppy, and MJK w/ APC)

And of course, it gives them the opportunity to make wimpy girlie sounds in other bands, keeping Tool a true heavy metal experience! me-TAAAAAAAAAL!

Chris_Brightwell
08-03-2005, 02:58 AM
And of course, it gives them the opportunity to make wimpy girlie sounds in other bands, keeping Tool a true heavy metal experience! me-TAAAAAAAAAL!
I haven't thought of Tool as a metal band since Opiate.

Noumenon
08-03-2005, 03:09 AM
I am not always to be taken seriously. But kudos for trying :)

dracomordag
08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Actually, It looks to me like there's about 4 years between each major album...

Undertow: April 6, 1993
Aenima: October 1, 1996
Lateralus: May 15, 2001

Undertow -> Aenima = 3 years, 5 months, 26 days
Aenima -> Lateralus = 4 years, 7 months, 14 days
Lateralus -> ?????? = 4 years, 2 months, 22 days and counting

It may have been shorter between Undertow and Aenima, but I see a lot more growth between Aenima and Lateralus (whether or not you count that growth as a good thing is your own opinion). Not to mention legal issues.

What I'm trying to say is that Tool is basically on schedule.

Archetypically
08-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Actually, It looks to me like there's about 4 years between each major album...

Undertow: April 6, 1993
Aenima: October 1, 1996
Lateralus: May 15, 2001

Undertow -> Aenima = 3 years, 5 months, 26 days
Aenima -> Lateralus = 4 years, 7 months, 14 days
Lateralus -> ?????? = 4 years, 2 months, 22 days and counting

It may have been shorter between Undertow and Aenima, but I see a lot more growth between Aenima and Lateralus (whether or not you count that growth as a good thing is your own opinion). Not to mention legal issues.

What I'm trying to say is that Tool is basically on schedule.

I have always preferred quality over quantity/timeliness. Nice job... patience people.

Citizen Erased
08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm very eager for the new material to be showcased, but at the same time I want them to spend as much time on the album as possible.

For me, Lateralus is the pinnacle of their sound. I know for older fans, this may not be the case. Older fans may want the new album to sound something like Aenima, but in my case I would like it to be a completely new sound. Just like when Lateralus was released after Aenima, it was a new direction. From reading all of the information provided, I can see that it is going to be in a new direction, and i'm glad.

I'm anticipating a tour to go with, and a chance to see them for the first time.

:)

Dirty Sanchez
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm actually starting to like this place again, now that a lot of new member is posting.

That, and i'm stoned.

bentTOOL23
08-09-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm very eager for the new material to be showcased, but at the same time I want them to spend as much time on the album as possible.

For me, Lateralus is the pinnacle of their sound. I know for older fans, this may not be the case. Older fans may want the new album to sound something like Aenima, but in my case I would like it to be a completely new sound. Just like when Lateralus was released after Aenima, it was a new direction. From reading all of the information provided, I can see that it is going to be in a new direction, and i'm glad.

I'm anticipating a tour to go with, and a chance to see them for the first time.

:)

i wouldn't call it a new direction from aneima to laterlaus. i think theres a growth in aenima and laterlaus is the bud/flower at the end of it (lateralus being the growth from bud to flower...blooming) so itd be cool if the new album focuses on the subtle beauty in going back down after blossuming

Citizen Erased
08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
i wouldn't call it a new direction from aneima to laterlaus. i think theres a growth in aenima and laterlaus is the bud/flower at the end of it (lateralus being the growth from bud to flower...blooming) so itd be cool if the new album focuses on the subtle beauty in going back down after blossuming

Didn't realise death was all that glamorous.

Intertwined
08-09-2005, 05:58 PM
It's probably going to sound different then all their old stuff including lateralus. They like to evolve over time into different things.

Gouldius
08-09-2005, 10:35 PM
If it only improves on Lateralus by a small amount, I will be extremely happy...

Archetypically
08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I have a feeling I will be happy no matter what. I have yet to hear a Tool song I don't like, and I haven't heard a new Tool song in what 4 years now? I'd be glad just to hear something new.

fraz
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I think most of us are happy to wait for the new album but would appreciate getting a decent update on the official site as to whether we can expect a new album this year or next year and whether we can expect the live DVD this year or next year or never. I know Blair has said they're being secretive for various reasons but even just some sort of ballpark figure would be nice

Archetypically
08-09-2005, 11:37 PM
I think most of us are happy to wait for the new album but would appreciate getting a decent update on the official site as to whether we can expect a new album this year or next year and whether we can expect the live DVD this year or next year or never. I know Blair has said they're being secretive for various reasons but even just some sort of ballpark figure would be nice
Agreed... it sure would be nice to know. Until then, I am forcing myself to listen to other bands. Hard to do.

Tertius Oculum
08-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Agreed... it sure would be nice to know. Until then, I am forcing myself to listen to other bands. Hard to do.

Check out Autolux, they're pretty good.

something_Dark
08-10-2005, 01:50 AM
To quote Maynard to the best of my memory

" We dont make albums that only last a month or even a year, when we sit down and make an album we want it to be something that will last for a long time" -MJK

not sure what interveiw that came from but I know he said something like that..

Dont rush something that you know is going to be well worth the wait..Geez

Tertius Oculum
08-10-2005, 02:09 AM
I just hope it will last me until the end of the world.

(2012)

dracomordag
08-10-2005, 11:34 AM
The world ends in 2011, not 2012. Thought I'd let you know. My source is definately reliable, too.

Chris_Brightwell
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
The world ends in 2011, not 2012. Thought I'd let you know. My source is definately reliable, too.You must be one of those people who think that the new millenium started on 01 January 2000.

s ti N Kfizt
08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
yeash.. I wait it so muchh.. but it's only good when they work long time with it.

I think that the new album will be much harder to ''listen'' musically.. but the lyrics have to be quite similar.. It'll be Tool's best at least musically i believe.

Spongebob
08-10-2005, 01:44 PM
dharma and greg huh.

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 06:43 AM
You must be one of those people who think that the new millenium started on 01 January 2000.

Nah, it def started 01 Jan 2001. But, 2011 is the way to go.

...wtf are we even talking about?

Wretched
08-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I feel we are on schedule. Don't you all? If you check the newsletters/news prior to the release of Lateralus (2000-2001) you'll notice that there was just about as much bullshit from blair as there is now. Hell in the second newsletter in the archive, he even talks about a BBQ bash. Then in 2005, he talks about BBQ'n again. The dates are almost the same.

bentTOOL23
08-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I just hope it will last me until the end of the world.

(2012)

thats not the end of the world.

thats the year i start my revolution against america... (whos with me?!)

they world ends in 2013.

Intertwined
08-13-2005, 06:51 PM
2014 when google releases Epic and the world vanishes.

metalforever
08-16-2005, 01:04 PM
i also heard that the world was going to end in 2011, i dont remember where though