PDA

View Full Version : Metaphor for a relationship?

johndoe
02-16-2003, 02:37 AM
I think there can be two valid interpretations of the song. On the more superficial level, perhaps it is a song addressing the issue of abortion, and the feelings that coincide with the decision to abort the fetus. Maynard is never subtle on any issue, therefore "Pushit" could literally mean pushing out the fetus. On a slightly deeper level, perhaps it is simply a metaphor for all relationships. Perhaps Maynard feels that sooner or later all relationships end with people who are diametrically opposed to one another. So much in fact that he will do anything to end the cycle of abuse. There are probably deeper truths to the song than I have listed or can think of.

choking
03-15-2003, 12:19 AM
I always kind of thought it was sort of a response, if you will, to Stinkfist...

In Stinkfist, I think it's two people in a relationship, and one (person X) is pressuring the other (person Y) into something-whether it's sex, drugs, anything (I'd imagine most likely to be sex)...X says if you love me you'll do it and show we belong together (Show me that you love me and that we belong together.) and little by little, Y gives in (the progression from fingerdeep to knuckledeep) . After awhile though, X thinks its sad that trying to have any intimacy has had to come to this (Something kind of sad about the way things have come to be-desensitized to everything-what became of subtlety), but decides to find more in the relationship besides sex. I think X, because after that, Y gives in more easily (elbowdeep to shoulderdeep), like Y realized X wants more than just sex, so Y has become more comfortable with going farther...

***I know this is the Pushit secion, but I had to explain what I got out Stinkfist before I could explain the former***

So Pushit, it's like Y responding to all the pressure put on them in Stinkfist. They'll just put up with it until they're ready to go through with it (I will choke until I swallow). They keep getting pushed and pushed to do something they don't really want to, even though X says they love them (You still love me and you pushit on me).

All the pushing just keeps adding up and eventually, Y is going to snap and just blow up at the X (Rest your trigger on my finger, bang my head upon the fault line {fault lines eventually crack when earthquakes happen, eh?}, Take care not to make me enter, cause if I do we both may disappear). X still pushes Y to do more.

Despite all Y's stubbornness, Y seems to feel alive when X is touching and pushing Y, and everytime it happens, they end up where they began (Slipping back into the gap again, I'm alive when you're touching me, alive when you're shoving me down). However, Y would trade all the feeling of being alive just to have some say in the sexual relationship (But I'd trade it all for just a little bit of piece of mind).

Everytime X & Y are together, Y doesn't want to be there, Y doesn't want to see what is going to happen next, and doesn't want it to happen again (Put me somewhere I don't wanna be. Seeing someplace I don't wanna see, Never wanna see that place again).

I think Y strats to think X is just going to ask for more, but instead X starts to look for more in the relationship, but Y begins to push themself and X away from each other (Saw that gap again today As you were begging me to stay Managed to push myself away And you, as well).

When X is working at the relationship, Y just responds how if they stay, any say or opinion Y has will fade away (If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay). No matter what, X controls Y, but Y wants that to change (You minimize my movement anyway, I must persuade you another way).

Y finally concludes that Y is scared to love X, so they can't (There's no love in fear {If you were scared of the relationship and the person, then how can you love them?})

Y thinks about what will happen if Y decides to stay wit X or leave them-like Y is analyzing the relationship and what will happen depending on whether they stay or leave (Staring down the hole again {it seems like a pretty hollow relationship} Hands upon my back again, Survival is my only friend {not having the pressure is survival, and thats the only plus of leaving}, Terrified of what may come)

I think Y decides to stay and tells X that they love X, but that Y is going to be the one in control now, and that is what the relationship will be like until the end (Just remember I will always love you, even as I tear your fucking throat away, but it will end no other way)...

Yeah, I've thought about all that and how it fits together for a while, this is just the first time I've written it out.

Disclaimer:
In these forums, you will find fans' observations about Tool songs, videos, and more. They may be "wrong" (not what Tool intended), but this section is not about "what it means" -- it is about "what it means to me."

That's exactly what this post is-what "Pushit" means to me. Hrmm, yeah. And sorry it was so long.