PDA

View Full Version : My meaning - anti abortion

TTM
07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought parabol and parabola had an uncanny resemblance to some sort of abortion discussion.

"This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion."

This sounds like a mother bearing a child, and the mother is contained in some sort of heavinly body. The pain could be refering to child birth, a pain which contains a holy and 'eternal' feel.

"Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing."

refering to a child being born. the child should recognise that being born is a holy gift.

the music video also makes me think of an anti abortion message though. The small person makes me think of a developing fetus, and the blobs crushing him as the abortion its self. Also when the man cuts him open, i think he does it to show how undeveloped the fetus is, but also how human like it is.

Just my thoughts

Wave.Existance.Tears
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Thats one way to look at it, and an interesting one at that.

dirkz
07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I thought parabol and parabola had an uncanny resemblance to some sort of abortion discussion.

"This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion."

This sounds like a mother bearing a child, and the mother is contained in some sort of heavinly body. The pain could be refering to child birth, a pain which contains a holy and 'eternal' feel.

"Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing."

refering to a child being born. the child should recognise that being born is a holy gift.

the music video also makes me think of an anti abortion message though. The small person makes me think of a developing fetus, and the blobs crushing him as the abortion its self. Also when the man cuts him open, i think he does it to show how undeveloped the fetus is, but also how human like it is.

Just my thoughts

Good points, really, but I'm not sure Maynard was writing a political statement. Just because the song discusses a child being born doesn't automatically mean it's anti-abortion. But what the hell do I know.

Travis
07-06-2007, 05:50 AM
I think that "this body holding me" is your own body. I also think that the blob killing the little guy is supposed to be God, or chance, or fate, or whatever would be identified as the mechanism controlling destiny. I think the little guy is supposed to represent an animal, or someone who is more prone to a simple animalistic existance, but is still something the main character cares for. Your explanation is pretty good too.

Ghostwriter
07-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Nice interpretation but I think this song isnt JUST about abortion if it is at all. I see it more as one mans (perhaps resembeling Fibonacci) journey that ends with him reaching his God-head Chakra.