PDA

View Full Version : A story.

LeoDV
02-14-2003, 07:03 PM
This is a true story, about trying to think for myself, and questioning authority one day after the next.

Don't expect to read about anything grand, anything that will at least attempt to actually liberate me from this self-consuming Leviathan that is the society we live in. I do simple deeds of deconstruction, a little bit of anarchy here and there. I try to tell myself that I'm putting that one grain of sand in the mechanism, that one that will make it grind one day, overheat and, hopefully, explode, but in reality I'm just too much of a coward to go all-out.

With that little bit of a prologue, let me tell you about how I tried to do the same thing as TOOL but on a much, much, much smaller scale.

What symbolizes our society more than the daily routine of going to work to consume to work to consume to work and die? And within that routine, what better symbol is there than common transportation, the subway? We've all seen those accelerated videos of masses of working men and women streaming through the hallways and in the trains to and from work, where whatever little identity we had is totally consumed in an ever-moving colorful mass of nothingness.

At the subway station I get off at to go home, there are three doors that you have to walk through to get out in the open. I don't know how it is in other subways around the world (I'm in Paris (yes Paris France)) but in this particular line you have to actually push the door to get out (which isn't always the case). Anyway, at my subway station, one day the door in the middle refused to work as well as it did.

As I walked up the stairs, I could see some business woman pushing it once, giving up and moving on to the next. Then, as networked automats would, the crowd split in halves and everyone started streaming through the two other doors. You can expect what I did, I tried my hand at the middle door, and it wouldn't give in. I took a step backwards and rammed it with my shoulder, at which point it easily gave in, the mechanism was just a bit rusty, and it could be (relatively) easily opened after all.

For weeks I kept pushing my way through that door while everyone left out through the easier doors, until someday someone filed some form and some workers were dispatched to oil the door up or something and it went as smoothly as the others, and I stopped caring about the whole thing.

Until, yesterday, I came home and found this time the right door had been surrounded with flashy green and white tape.

Everyone was walking through the other doors and I reached through the tape and pushed the door. It opened without resistance. I muttered something about Franz Kafka and stepped over the tape, walking through that door, and climbing my way through more tape on the other way. Sure, it was easier through the other doors, but that kind of statement is my way of de-guilting myself about being a productive, consuming member of this society I claim to despize.

Anyway, tonight I come home, and I see some pieces of torn off green and white tape, only to see it replaced by more red and white tape. I tried the door again and again it functioned perfectly. I cursed and then began to tear the tape off. I walked out the door and began tearing off more tape in a quite comical way since the long bits of tape were spiraling in the wind and I depserately tried to grab it and tear it all. When I finally did I spun round and saw that a cashier or something (guy who sells tourists three day tickets in garbled English) had been staring at me from inside his bulletproof box.

I had been planning to anyway, I walked up to the box, still clenching flashy ribbons of tape, and said "The door works perfectly fine."

"Who are you to tear off that tape?"

"Who cares, the door works perfectly fine."

"The tape's been put there for a reason. You don't know what it is."

"Do you?"

A beat.

"You can't tear that tape off like that."

"Why not? All that matters is if the door is working or not, not that some guy who works here had a reason to put tape around it."

"You don't know why that tape's been put here, you can't tear it off."

For some obscure reason I felt like I was talking to a wall so I walked off, throwing the tape in a trash can. As I walked away I heard him say that next time action would be taken.

That's five minutes you'll never get back, I'm sorry I wasted them. It's just some French guy rambling about doors in the subway.

But I like to think it's also a symbol. A symbol of what TOOL want us to do, and more importantly a symbol of what I think we should do (they may be great, but I'm not doing something just 'cause they tell me to), that is, some playful and ironic deconstruction of authority in the little things.

At least for a start.

Thrakandor
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
That was a good read. You're very honest, I admire that.

I think that what you've done is all that really needs to be done. We're not brought up to resist, or to question. (The old clichè blame of the system but anyway). And it's hard changing, that's why you have to start small.

This means that you've broken the main shell - you've done something that is resisting, and actually beginning that trend will probably be the hardest single act of them all - the conscious decision to do so. The actual act is regardless.

This means that if something on a slightly larger scale comes up in the future, you'll be far more comfortable with yourself when you take it on.

I don't agree with violent revolution unless there really is no other choice. As things stand, I don't believe it's necessary. However, little actions like this, if taken on by a large enough number of people, will change matters. If too many question, they will have to be answered.

The problem is, getting people to question for their own satiety, rather than questioning because they think they should... without knowing why.

How do you teach people to do things for themselves? I know people that 'be themselves' and 'think for themselves' but only because that's what they're expected to do. I don't understand it.

Good thread though.

winston grudge
02-16-2003, 05:56 PM
We have a commercial out here in LA for a firm that sells computer equipment and network service. The commercial takes place in an office- the secretary tells her boss that his network advisor or some representative is here about their services and such. The advisor, a cardboard cut out, says 'Hi! nice weather we're having' and it's raining buckets outside. He tells the boss guy 'so, how many peices can I put you down for' and the boss starts to say 'we'll I'd like to see a brochure or something...' and is cut off by the rep-'500 pieces? Great!'
Boss says' we're actually a small company...' again '500 pieces? Great!'
We move outside the office and we see the office filled with cardboard cut outs, all saying the same thing.

I shudder to think of ua all becoming cardboard cut outs. I'm more afraid to think if we already are these cut outs and we just don't know it...

I was recently listening to a tool concert and Maynard says something to the effect of 'let's all say the non conformist oath' or something...and he says 'think for yourself', the crowd says 'think for yourself'. he says 'question authority', again, they all repeat back to him 'question authority'. He says 'strive to be different', they repeat it back to him. 'Strive to be unique', repeat.
Then he says' Never repeat things other people say'

Whatever. I never have points- I just ramble and hope I help someone.

But really, that story was incredible. It's always those first few steps that really hurt but, gradually, the pain, the fear, the wavering concious knowing that what you're doing is not the norm fades and people will understand when they are ready. But do it for yourself- not because tool wants you to.

And remember- don't be that guy! The one who wears the shirt for the band to the concert! Whatever you do, don't be that guy!

-WG

LeoDV
02-17-2003, 10:06 AM
What inspired me to post this is the sheer caricature-like-ity (?) of the whole thing : the door is blocked for no reason, no-one knows why, and the only action taken is to change the green tape to red tape.

The next day I came back and the tape was back and I asked the clerk (an other one) why the door had been blocked even though it worked fine, and she replied she didn't know, some guys from the central office came and put the tape there, and I aksed her if she would tear the tape off since the door turned out to be fine and she said she wasn't allowed to...

No comment.

Thrakandor
02-17-2003, 02:30 PM
And did you tear it open again?

Aenimal
02-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Hahahaha the whole story reminds me of Catch 22. Great book. Great story. Just cause some fucker has a role of tape doesn't give him the right to fuck with people for no reason.

LeoDV
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by winston grudge
And remember- don't be that guy! The one who wears the shirt for the band to the concert! Whatever you do, don't be that guy!I'm not. A few days ago I was at the Mudvayne concert in Paris, and I stood out because of my clothing... I was wearing regular clothes.