PDA

View Full Version : my meaning

pathological2
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
To me, this song reminds me of the saying "the only way to get rid of temptation is to give in to it." The devil lies, cheats, and steals. The "you" is the snake inside. The source of temptation, torment, mental/emotional pain. I will not tolerate you anymore. I will go down beside you. I will give in to you to get rid of you. I will kill you by killing myself, if that makes sense.

pathological2
07-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot something. My favorite part of the song is "I am not innocent, you are not innocent, no one is innocent." To me, I am not innocent because I take part in my destruction. I act on what the devil inside provides (temptation, addiction - I'm the one who sticks the needle in my arm). The devil is not innocent because he was what temtps me, and urges me to do destructive things. So we both ARE NOT innocent. So "no one is innocent" simply is me and the devil inside. No one IN THE CONFLICT are innocent. NO ONE - ME AND THE DEVIL (no one else).

pathological2
09-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I carry out the YOUR plans with MY bloody hands = I am not innocent, you are not innocent, no one is innocent! "No one" = "Me and You", not every human being or something ridiculous like that. This song is introspective.

searchforme
09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
good stuff

pathological2
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks. It amazes me that people relate this song to a lover or something shallow like that. This is one of the deepest songs Tool has made! Every time I hear it I get goosebumps (especially during that final scream). This song really gets down to our self-destructive nature and contradictory thought processes. Like "I'll go down beside you". It isn't rational at all, but that's exactly how we think. It's crazy how Maynard can be inside your head with you, and how you can be inside his head with him. I fucking love Tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

searchforme
09-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks. It amazes me that people relate this song to a lover or something shallow like that. This is one of the deepest songs Tool has made! Every time I hear it I get goosebumps (especially during that final scream). This song really gets down to our self-destructive nature and contradictory thought processes. Like "I'll go down beside you". It isn't rational at all, but that's exactly how we think. It's crazy how Maynard can be inside your head with you, and how you can be inside his head with him. I fucking love Tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, i completely understand where you are coming from. what i can't understand is how people stop looking deeper into the music after thier intial reaction. such as with the song 4 degrees, when people just assume its a goofy song about anal sex, it really confuses me. i don't understand how they can't understand the deeper meanings behind the songs.

pathological2
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
It's a fucking trip. But ask most fans on this site if Tool songs are related to drug-induced states and they'll tell you you're crazy. I can't fucking explain it.

UtUmNo1
09-29-2005, 07:03 PM
I thought it was something to do with the Nard's time at West Point and the 'lie cheat and steal' part is related to the motto or oath?

pathological2
10-09-2005, 06:32 AM
My brother went to Wespoint as well so I am familiar with the motto there. That's why Maynard used it as an ANALOGY in this song. This song is a squaring-off between song obviously. If I can't get rid of you then I'll kill you, so what if I destroy me in the process. Now there's the meaning.

varg
10-17-2005, 12:22 PM
My brother went to Wespoint as well so I am familiar with the motto there. That's why Maynard used it as an ANALOGY in this song. This song is a squaring-off between song obviously. If I can't get rid of you then I'll kill you, so what if I destroy me in the process. Now there's the meaning.
... and drugs, of course. Don't forget the drugs.

Unl1v3d
10-26-2005, 04:48 AM
I think exactly like you on this song.
And i agree, it's one of tool most deepest songs. "but you lye cheat and steal, i cannt tolarete you (..) I kill i blame i'm far too sympatethic (..) i'm not innocent", in this line it's all, i knows it's evil, he knows it's should do it, but still he does. No one is innocent, you might not even do it, mas too just think about it already makes you a guilty one no? Afterall, we are all too sympathetic...