02-13-2003, 07:18 PM
*in the begining there was only god

*god created the heavens and the earth

*god is light

*energy = mass * light's constant squared
........... meaning...........
mass can be converted to energy (light ) at th speed of light squared

as man sacrifices his sperm and the woman her ovum,
"god " sacrificed his "light" to create mass.

GODSPEED

George Bush Sr.
02-13-2003, 08:22 PM
sice i probably won't get a response in the other place i posted this...

quotes from the new american bible:

then god said: "let us make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness."
genesis 1:26

the the lord god said: "see! the man has become like ONE OF US, knowing what is good and what is bad!"
genesis 3:22

hints at more than one god, just wanted your reaction to this

(quotes from the king james version are different, please post them if you have that version)

dawn
02-13-2003, 10:34 PM
i do not have the king james version,but it was the one that i was raised on. to the best of my recolection,they only gave credit to one god.
funny thing about this version of the bible is that it is king james's version of biblical events. so i don't really utilize them in a religious context.
i have recently converted to the new international version because it's easier to read.
european based religions, i believe, are the only ones to acredit our creation to only 1 creator.
i don't know that god is a being or a collection of beings.My studies in physics are leading me towards a more scientific approach to spirituality,and as you can see, i am trying to cosolidate physical laws and scientific theories into a religious text.
i would be intrested in a king james quote if you come across it,as well as any further insight. I had not made that connection until you posted it. it seems that some would be offended by such blasphemous ideals as more than one creator...especially coming from the bible.it goes against all of the religious beliefs that they tried to program into me.
a superb insight ......thank you

ArthurDent
02-16-2003, 09:48 PM
My friend came up with the idea that the Big Bang Theory was simply God spreading himself out across the Universe. I believe that was basically what you were saying, grrrl, but in a more down to earth way. The idea of the marriage of science and religion is an interesting one. Oh, and as far as the "Make man in our image" thing, Christians believe that that is a result of the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost). Personally, I think the idea of the Trinity is used by Christians as a rationalization of the fact that Genesis was most likely written by Moses at a time when Jewish religious thought was first evolving from the Polytheism of the surrounding peoples to the more distinct Monotheism that characterizes Judaism today. Chrisitians also use the Trinity as a rationalization of the incarnation of Christ. In layman's terms, "There is only one God, but he has three parts. Even though one part was here on Earth teaching people, dividing loaves and fish, and getting crucified, the other two parts were upstairs running the show." I don't understand how the idea of the Trinity can be accepted in a Monotheistic religion such as Christianity. To Orthodox Jews, it is appalling. However, I am wondering if the verses in which God/gods refer(s) to himself/themselves as "our" is in the Torah, the Jewish scriptures. If so, a conflict would arise in Judaism, and my theory would be proven to be correct (not my friend's theory about the big bang; I'm talking about my theory of the evolution of Polytheism into Monotheism). Whew, how's that for getting off the subject?

bfusion
02-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by George Bush Sr.
sice i probably won't get a response in the other place i posted this...

quotes from the new american bible:

then god said: "let us make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness."
genesis 1:26

the the lord god said: "see! the man has become like ONE OF US, knowing what is good and what is bad!"
genesis 3:22

hints at more than one god, just wanted your reaction to this

(quotes from the king james version are different, please post them if you have that version)

You can look into Sumer mythology, as well as the mythologies of all pre-roman kingdoms. All of these civilaztions worshipped many gods. And they claimed that these gods ascended from heaven. There are some very interesting connetions that are tired between the bible and myths that originated from Sumer. If you look at God, Yaweh as an office of three, instead of a three in one deity, then you can see some ineteresting things. In a sumerian myth, the God Enki, is cast into the marsh lands(Egypt) below Sumer. Enki was also exiled and the other gods totally despised him. The other gods were angry at Enki because he planned on liberating man and had tried to claim the thrown of Anu(Sumer For Heaven) from his brother(Enlil) who was actually younger than Enki. If you look at the story of Lucifer, he was cast out of heaven into the low lands, or hell. One of the reasons this happened was because he challenged god. Then in the genesis the serpant(devil) is responsible for man eating the apple of knowledge. Then, if you look at the gods that banished Enki, there were three but I can only remember two(Enlil and Ishtar). Supposively if you add up the numerology behind those three dieties the sentence equals 666. This would mean that the number of the beast actually refers to the Tri-Une(of the three gods that banished Enki/Satan). Maybe explains the title of the last chapter?

remember the futants.

seeker
02-18-2003, 03:03 AM
well, George Bush, Sr., as the son of an assemblies of god army chaplain, i can tell you the semi-official christian view of this... god the father, god the son, and god the holy spirit. one god, three forms.

though i still think it's kind of fishy (ictheusy? bad joke...). why would he refer to himself as "we" and "us"? it not only justifies our calling god "them", but it sounds kind of like gollum.

George Bush Sr.
02-18-2003, 08:04 AM
I was thinking it had to do with Sumeria too. They even have a different version of the flood. Anyway, how about we use this post to discuss Bible quotes? I just started reading it. The King James version is different, word has it that old James was a Freemason, therefore it could contain some interesting stuff.

see A History of Secret Societies ny Arkon Darual(sp)

From what I recall, it's pretty unbiased.

Loej
02-18-2003, 09:51 AM
There are different versions of the bible. Each religion has its own to make that religion seem right. Where did you buy the bible with the "us" and "our" pertaining to god? Mormons believe that one day they will as good as god if not better and rule over their own world.

dawn
02-18-2003, 08:04 PM
It strikes me funny to hear that King James was a freemason. All of our founding fathers were masons. " The Tutankhamun Prophecies" by Muarice Cotterell speaks quite indepthly on the subject.
Ever scoped out the $1 bill?

George Bush Sr.
02-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Loej
There are different versions of the bible. Each religion has its own to make that religion seem right. Where did you buy the bible with the "us" and "our" pertaining to god? Mormons believe that one day they will as good as god if not better and rule over their own world.

I got that Bible in grade school, a Catholic grade school. I seen it again when I looked at the New King James Version in a store today. They also had some guys critique of Genesis, those parts were changed to something completely different in his book.

dawn
02-18-2003, 09:10 PM
It's all in the interpretation. I'm sure the actual text no longer exists, even if it did, we would never see it. There is no telling what was lost in the original translation, and now it has been re-written so many times it's difficult for me to take it at face value.

seeker
02-19-2003, 03:31 AM
i believe i asked my dad what the greek and hebrew bibles say (those're the ones from which all the versions are derived) and i believe he said that's how it is there. that's why all the different translations of the bible say "...in OUR image." so don't think that it's just a version of the bible altered to suit the specific sect of the religion, because that's in there from the start. i'll double check on that if anyone wants me to.

Tralfamadore-83
02-20-2003, 12:35 PM
"our image" might very well be correct, since the "god-head" consists of 3 individuals; father, son, holy ghost. Makes sense to me. And I would never put all faith into a book edited by kings, etc. There is a difference betweenhaving a book written by man, and translated by man.

dawn
02-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Wasn't the bible initially written by man? Is it not merely their interpratation of the word of god, even in the original text?

anhour
02-20-2003, 08:29 PM
in the front of a bible a teacher of mine owns, it states that the commandment to not worship other gods/create false idols actually refered not only to the idea of not worshipping false idols (golden calves), but also to the belief that the gods of other religions were real, but the Judaic god was the only one who should be worshipped.

ArthurDent's point of the expansion of polythiesm to monothiesm is also an important thought in piecing together the development of the Judaic/Christian religion. before the rise of Judaism, an Egyptian pharoh (King Tut's father), changed the polytheistic state religion from the one we know of today to one that worshipped only one god. following he and his son's deaths, both were stricken from the "King's List" (a list of pharohs found in Egypt) and the pharoh's religion was destroyed and the old polytheistic religion returned. i believe that that religion was the seed for the birth of Judaism, being that the pharoh's monotheistic religion was the first of its kind in that part of the world where later Judaism would arise.

the idea of putting together science and religion is very interesting (is there an echo in here?). psychology, history, comparitive mythology, and socialogy are also good for analysing and understanding religion.

dawn
02-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Could some one tell me the tale of the tower of bable?

Tralfamadore-83
02-26-2003, 07:15 AM
People tried to build a tower that would raise up to heaven (assuming heaven was in the sky) and these were wicked evil people that thought they could get up there and kill god and take over. So god took down the tower and changed and mixed up everyones language.

Nirvana
02-26-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by grrrl
*in the begining there was only god

*god created the heavens and the earth

*god is light

*energy = mass * light's constant squared
........... meaning...........
mass can be converted to energy (light ) at th speed of light squared

as man sacrifices his sperm and the woman her ovum,
"god " sacrificed his "light" to create mass.

GODSPEED

yeah... and if there was only one god?... why is there pain.... why are there more beleives...!!!
why did he put 2 people on the earth... only 2?...
why did he put the dinosaurs on the earth?... and
if he created the earth... what about the scientists... they say the world excisted by a big bang!!! BOEM... suddenly the earth is in the universe... (or did GOD created that to)?

and if he created everything... is he still alive now?...and is jezus his real son?..

i have lots of questions... but ill leave it by this (For now)...

Again I Bumped Up My Post...

Level 7 - Loquacious Post: ):-:(Nirvana):-:(

dawn
02-26-2003, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nirvana
[B]... what about the scientists... they say the world excisted by a big bang!!! BOEM... suddenly the earth is in the universe... (or did GOD created that to)?
QUOTE]

I suggest that you re-read this thread. Read Genesis, and learn about the theory of relativity. They support each others theories, and finding a relationship between the two gave me immeasurable insight.

Godspeed to you