PDA

View Full Version : The morse code and rhythm

merkabalus
07-18-2005, 08:59 AM
As others suggested, when you use an online Morse translator to play the sequence, it sounds like it could conceivably be a beat for a new song or even the title track of the album...

That means it basically breaks down into 3 quavers, a crotchet, 2 quavers, 2 crotchets a quaver and two crotchetts. This seems to transcribe nicely into 3/4 and 9/8 but then breaks down after a few bars, which means either there's a rest there or a shift of time signature (or none of this works lol).

I'm also wondering if the numbers of the code are what is significant - 3, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2

After googling that sequence I then stumbled onto a site about barcodes (http://www.barcodeman.com/info/c128.php3) and the barcode for 3 1 2 2 1 2 = 27, which is a Fibonacci number...

This could obviously all be a case of the cryptography thing of if you look at numbers in a certain way you can make them mean anything, but I thought people might be interested.

Pete <dons flameproof suit>

[edit]

LOL Also just found this after searching "Fibonacci 3 1 2 2 1 2" - http://www.nomic.net/deadgames/acka/theack/theack12.txt - note the sausage reference.

Frances
07-18-2005, 09:19 AM
that is very interesting.

rochey-o
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
STOP IT

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
LOL Also just found this after searching "Fibonacci 3 1 2 2 1 2" - http://www.nomic.net/deadgames/acka/theack/theack12.txt - note the sausage reference.What the hell is that?!

DirtyBanana
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Although i know that i make an ass of myself now....

But just tried to translate that code to a guitar riff this afternoon.

I made it very simple: For the dots i took a (drop) D and for the minus the E at the seventh fret on the a string.If you play this with a toolish vibe you get something that sounds al little bit like "the grudge".

...or maybe this band got me nuts.

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I can't play it here, but that would sound a bit like Meshuggah.

Oh damn! Tool toured with them and were influenced by them, weren't they?

DirtyBanana
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I can't play it here, but that would sound a bit like Meshuggah.

I AM going nuts....that is what i tought either. Catch 33, first song right?

DirtyBanana
07-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I will record it tomorrow and post it here...right now my girl needs some attention...

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I dunno, I forget what they sound like right now...you may be right...but I have that CD, it's a pretty fine CD too... hmm...

Perseensilmä
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I will record it tomorrow and post it here...right now my girl needs some attention...

Fuck that girl! (not literally) We are talking about new tool album/song! Hoes mean nothing compared to tool!

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd take one over Tool any day.

Perseensilmä
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't. (I am not a lesbian)

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, you should.

Actually, nevermind, I'd rather have new Tool than most sex-hungry women. Especially if they're not very attractive.

Perseensilmä
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
most sex-hungry women. Especially if they're not very attractive.

Usually that is the reason they are sex hungry ;) The attractive ones are satisfied already all the time.

5th Eye
07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
I know, it makes me sad.

Perseensilmä
07-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Me too.

bluefire
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe its just the cool little intro noise every cd has

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 01:43 AM
OMG!!!! I JUST TRIED TO PLAY THAT RHYTHM AND A GIANT UFO CAME UP TO MY WINDOW SETTING UP A CONNETION FROM MY BRAIN TO ADAMS AND MAKE ME PLAY THE NE INTRO SONG OF THE NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!!!WOOOOW!!!!

http://free.pages.at/aenima///Voice050718017.mp3

EricMatthewLeavell
07-19-2005, 02:05 AM
i actually liked the intro rhythm... that would be hilarious if that was actually on the album though.

48&2
07-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Although i know that i make an ass of myself now....

But just tried to translate that code to a guitar riff this afternoon.

I made it very simple: For the dots i took a (drop) D and for the minus the E at the seventh fret on the a string.If you play this with a toolish vibe you get something that sounds al little bit like "the grudge".

...or maybe this band got me nuts.

take a walk outside. Please...

Perseensilmä
07-19-2005, 02:33 AM
OMG!!!! I JUST TRIED TO PLAY THAT RHYTHM AND A GIANT UFO CAME UP TO MY WINDOW SETTING UP A CONNETION FROM MY BRAIN TO ADAMS AND MAKE ME PLAY THE NE INTRO SONG OF THE NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!!!WOOOOW!!!!

If I just heard the first leak of the new album I am going to fucking kill you. If new album sounds something like that you just spoiled the experience of listening to it without a tought what it might sound like. Therefore you must die.

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 02:45 AM
If I just heard the first leak of the new album I am going to fucking kill you. If new album sounds something like that you just spoiled the experience of listening to it without a tought what it might sound like. Therefore you must die.

Soon you all will know....

Frances
07-19-2005, 03:01 AM
the morse code must mean the new song is called "bang ba bang ba bang, ba bang bang banggangbang".

holy crap banana, that guitar recording was pretty cool. how long have you been playing?

krumz
07-19-2005, 03:27 AM

awesome intro. !!!!!even if it doesnt come out....nice try

BonePony420
07-19-2005, 03:31 AM
holy shit, fucking nice intro dude...

goddamn....

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 03:38 AM
the morse code must mean the new song is called "bang ba bang ba bang, ba bang bang banggangbang".

holy crap banana, that guitar recording was pretty cool. how long have you been playing?

Thanks.

I´ve been playing for 7 years now.But i have to say that my playing is pretty crappy on this one...it wasn´t an actual song, just basiclly "a jam in toolstyle"...and i have also been on weed.

Frances
07-19-2005, 03:46 AM
you definately got adam jones' style down, only in a much more technical way. i'd like to hear him play like that.

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 06:44 AM
The code is just a fancy way of telling us to take the SAT and go to college.

...-..--.- = ŝàt

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Can't I just get away with the ACT? I already took that one.

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Can't I just get away with the ACT? I already took that one.

Well, Tool are from LA and I was told the West Coast predominately takes the SAT. I took the ACT as well and Im fine.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Oh. Okay then.

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Oh. Okay then.

You drink pop, right?

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Not very often, why?

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Cause soda is for fags. You gotta drink pop.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Well yeah. No one over here says soda.

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I know. I live North of you.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Where is that?

Odibilëph
07-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Cause soda is for fags. You gotta drink pop.
I'm a *** and I drink pop.

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Detroit.

And I didnt say it was exclusive. My computer is silver, but not all computers are silver. Soda is for fags, but not all fags drink soda.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Ah. Never been to Michigan.

And yes...fags drink everything, but no non-fags drink soda.

PrisonSex
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Wow, Dirty Banana, that kicked ass. I've decided that based on what I just heard, you are worthy of my vagina.

Unless you just gave me an exact preview of the new Tool, then I'll have to kill you.

Odibilëph
07-19-2005, 09:01 AM
fags drink everything, but no non-fags drink soda.
Yah, thanks for clearing that up....

PrisonSex
07-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm from Ohio, and once had an argument about whether it's pop or soda with a friend from Florida. I still think that pop kicks soda's ass, but if it satisfies you, we did come up with the name "poda".

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Not sop?

Or you could call it soda-pop.

PrisonSex
07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, poda just sounds a lot cooler, imo.

And soda-pop is no fun.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Soda-pop is definitely a redneck drink.

PrisonSex
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Yes, so that's Southern Ohio. ;)
I think we're safe from soda-pop.

people_do_like_me
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM

That sounded really cool but I'm just curius as to how you came up with that for ...-..--.- and what kind of effects are you using because I like them.

5th Eye
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Thank god.

Hey, wasn't this thread supposed to be about the morse code stuff?

Goldfoot
07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Thank god.

Hey, wasn't this thread supposed to be about the morse code stuff?

Theres nothing there. As long as we mention morse code every once in a while we should be good.

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
That sounded really cool but I'm just curius as to how you came up with that for ...-..--.- and what kind of effects are you using because I like them.

Amp was an Line 6 Flextone III,my practicing amp.Effects were the build in delay and phaser.

Ertai
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM

dude your awsome, i want you in my band! that is sooo much like adam jones style its amazing, also you created this song directly from the morse code?! damn man

also can you list your equipment :P

Odibilëph
07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
So... can you write a song from this?:

--*-****-**_``*

Seriously.

people_do_like_me
07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Amp was an Line 6 Flextone III,my practicing amp.Effects were the build in delay and phaser.
It sounds really awesome man.

Madklikor
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
• • • – • • – – • – –
=
Vüw

Do Tool listen to Sigur ros?

Dredg
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
hahahaahhahaha that is funny as shit that you made that tool song.

plexus
07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Your riff sucks... or song, whatever, the whole thing. sucks.

its in 4/4. lame. doesnt even have a rhythm that reflects the "morse code" bullshit like this thread was about. you cant even play it right and you made it up. (kind of, you obviously just ripped tool off at certain parts)

give up.

sorry, but you got way more positive criticism than it deserved. and im just getting sick of posts like yours and lame tool fans in general.

Sine Nobilitas
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM

its in 4/4. lame. doesnt even have a rhythm that reflects the "morse code" bullshit like this thread was about. you cant even play it right and you made it up. (kind of, you obviously just ripped tool off at certain parts)

give up.

sorry, but you got way more positive criticism than it deserved. and im just getting sick of posts like yours and lame tool fans in general.

whoa chill out, he said he didn't think it was any good.

Dredg
07-19-2005, 07:26 PM

give up.

Quite frankly sir, you must have down syndrome because your reaction to a music riff was much more outlandish then mine.

The simple fact is, whether from mores code or not; the riff shows the general idea of Adam Jones guitar style. This, to me, is funny because it shows Adams playing style needs to change just a little for the upcoming album. I can imagine Adam making that riff. Flange, Delay, Wah - its all Adam has. The person who recorded this even added in the left hand tapping that is played at the end of Reflection.

Its a sarcastic mp3 and should be praised for the humor recorded in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/4 Lame? are you kidding me? has tool incorporated fans that only have one certain taste in art? Is tool a fucking cult? Please sir, there are pleanty of good songs in 4/4 that you havent listened to because of your own closed minded world.

docder
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
"This, to me, is funny because it shows Adams playing style needs to change just a little for the upcoming album. I can imagine Adam making that riff. Flange, Delay, Wah - its all Adam has. "

If that's all Adam has...You, my friend, are close-minded.

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 09:11 PM

give up.

Chill dude.Like i already mentioned my playing is crappy and i am even out of time a few times.At no time i said that i am a good player.It was just a silly idea that came up so i plugged in my guitar and just jammed a bit.And if you have a bit of fantasy,its the morse code translated into the beginning guitariff...

plexus
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Chill dude.Like i already mentioned my playing is crappy and i am even out of time a few times.At no time i said that i am a good player.It was just a silly idea that came up so i plugged in my guitar and just jammed a bit.And if you have a bit of fantasy,its the morse code translated into the beginning guitariff...

jeez... i already said i was sorry in my first post.

just my opinion man, get used to people thinking your music sucks cause someone always will.

it was more to the people who thought you should be a guitar legend and that want you to live in their city to be in their band than it was for you.

i mean, dont YOU even think you got too much praise for that riff?

OMLOLGG!! YOURE AN ADAM CLONE! HOW ARENT YOU SIGNED YET!

give me a break.

but im sticking by my convictions. the riff sucks.

sorry.

LoKi
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
don't be sorry.

it's strange how you say you hate all tool fans, yet you still hang around though...

Spongebob
07-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Justin likes sigur ros.

DirtyBanana
07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
i mean, dont YOU even think you got too much praise for that riff?

sorry.

seriously,i just waited for comments from another guitarists who will say its bullshit.You can even impress non-playing-guitar people if you can play the smoke on the water riff...

plexus
07-20-2005, 12:15 AM
don't be sorry.

it's strange how you say you hate all tool fans, yet you still hang around though...

you think i read these forums cause i like what the tool fans have to say?
i love tool and am just as anxious to hear news about the new album as anyone... i just dont post rediculious amounts of rediculous replies...

for example... if i were like the regular "toolnavy" poster, id reply to you with soemthing like...

"hang around my ballls
ur geh. lolz. pwnt."

... but then id have to kill myself

i just read them... i only reply when i feel a certain level of outrage at the stupidity that i read or if i have something actually useful to contribute... which i havent in a while.

and i dont hate all tool fans... my friends that are tool fans are some of the most intelligent people i know. i guess i hate the tool "fanatics"... its funny that tool preaches ego-death and their biggest fans have the biggest egos. i guess thatll make the ego-death all that more profound. (and im not saying i dont have an ego, cause im sure someone would reply saying i seem egotistical about being above immature fans, i dont think i am... i just hate them)

seriously,i just waited for comments from another guitarists who will say its bullshit.You can even impress non-playing-guitar people if you can play the smoke on the water riff...

very true... its good that youre down to earth.
your riff didnt suck as much as i was hinting at, but i felt the need to knock down any kind of pedestal that all those people set up for you to potentially stand on.
if you get my drift.

im gonna change my comment from your riff sucks to your riff is mediocre, which is more true to how i felt about it when i heard it... but then reading all the rediculous over-praises, i just got mad for all the people i know that can shred a block of cheese with their guitar playing and who practically starving on the street.

thevirusunknown
07-20-2005, 06:57 AM
I hate the tool fans that hate the tool fans.

Odibilëph
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
its in 4/4. lame.
Ohhh, nothing in 4/4 could possibly be any good!

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 09:08 AM
3/8 is usually pretty awesome.

Frances
07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
i agree with plexus. around here, it's like, "OH!!! IF I JUST PWN A FEW MOR NEWBS I'LL BE MASTER OF THE INTERNET!" everyone's biggest concern is being a dick.

3/8 would be cool.

Tertius Oculum
07-20-2005, 09:41 AM
I am the master of the internet. Defeat my level 89 DRAGON (ROBOT) TO FACE ME!@#$$$!@%13

Odibilëph
07-20-2005, 10:45 AM
If it was just a dragon I could take it... but if it's a dragon (robot)... I'm going to have to graciously bow out.

tomXwithXweather
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM

Dredg
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
The 23 second riff is decent and I would not mind to make a song from it.

Dr. Jake Destructo
07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Ok, so I hate to sound like a ******, but it's not letting me download your recording. I'm a guitarist, and I'd like to hear it. I tried copy pasting it, so yeah, help me. :-D

EDIT: Just listened to it. I had to wait for my dialup to load it. :-/ It sounded a bit like Jones, especially the second part where you play the 4ths.

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Whoa hey. That mp3 is pretty cool. You're not bad. (At least, better than me. But that's just because I suck at guitar.)

I think I might steal some of those riffs for my own personal gain...mwa ha ha...

Edit: To Dr Jake: Try removing those extra forward slashes where there are 3 in a row.

Dr. Jake Destructo
07-20-2005, 12:16 PM
/takes part in thread hi-jacking

How long have you been playing, 5th Eye?

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I've been playing bass for 1.5 years (yeah, not too long, but I'm decent) and I found a six-string that belongs to my dad laying around, so I play that too when I'm bored.

ATARI
07-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think it's that great of a riff. I usually write a lot more subtle stuff and less "riffing" when I play guitar, but it could work for a opener. (Although it sounds a little too much like "The Grudge.")

Tertius Oculum
07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
MY DRAGON ROBOT DEMANDS SODA. FROM THE SILVER COLEMAN. (ONLY)

Frances
07-20-2005, 02:23 PM
that riff dirty banana did was pretty cool, really sounds like a potential build-up-to-the-breakdown riff for a tool song.

plexus
07-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Ohhh, nothing in 4/4 could possibly be any good!

i never said that.
jesus, people take shit out of context too much.
i was just saying that in relation to what this thread is about.

besides, its supposed to pertain to tool... and tool ditched the idea of 4/4 songs about an album and a half ago.

(please dont name off the songs on lateralus that are 4/4 to try to prove me wrong.)

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 02:42 PM
(please dont name off the songs on lateralus that are 4/4 to try to prove me wrong.)Damn! I was just about to.

Whatever. I'll do it anyway. Parabol, Parabola, Disposition, Reflection, and Triad. There.

Dredg
07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Damn! I was just about to.

Whatever. I'll do it anyway. Parabol, Parabola, Disposition, Reflection, and Triad. There.

4/4 lame
it has to deal with TOOL.
Parabol, Parabola, Dispisition, reflection, and triad.

shutup plexus, you dumbass.

Madklikor
07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Triad isn't in 4/4.

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 04:43 PM
You can count in in 4/4 if you want to and it will work out. You could also count it in 12/8 really fast. Is that what you were getting at?

It's not like it has a set time signature. You can interpret that sort of stuff any way you want.

Madklikor
07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
It's clearly ternary. You don't count a ternary song in 4/4 unless you're a really strange person. Even if you tap every first note of a group of three eight note, it's still 12/8, not 4/4. It's not like it has a set time signature, but it's not interpreted as a 4/4 song.
I count it in 3/8 because every first note of the group of three notes is accentuated (and 12/8 has a different accentuation, even if we can consider it in 12/8 because of the lengh of the riff).

5th Eye
07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh...well...if you put it that way, fine.

blue/shimmering
07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
3 1 2 2 1 2...... hmm..... so if 3= c, 1 = a, and 2 = b, then.....

OMG!OMG!WTFOMGROFLOLBBQKTHXBYE!!!!!!!one!!111 the new album is called "Cabbab"!

plexus
07-20-2005, 09:32 PM
You can count in in 4/4 if you want to and it will work out. You could also count it in 12/8 really fast. Is that what you were getting at?

It's not like it has a set time signature. You can interpret that sort of stuff any way you want.

man that was bad

Odibilëph
07-21-2005, 05:03 AM
3 1 2 2 1 2...... hmm..... so if 3= c, 1 = a, and 2 = b, then.....

OMG!OMG!WTFOMGROFLOLBBQKTHXBYE!!!!!!!one!!111 the new album is called "Cabbab"!
"Shish Cabbab"?!???!??!?!!!

GelatiCruiser
07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
This thread is funny

Banana...I like the fact that you played that from Morse Code....nice idea.

"What's up wit dem sausages Charlie?"
"2 minutes Turkish."

docder
07-21-2005, 05:37 PM
"ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day..."

Who
07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
3/8 is usually pretty awesome.

3/8 is pretty similar to 6/8, which is common. Put two measures of 3/8 together, and you've got yourself a measure of 6/8. 5/8 and 7/8, on the other hand, are NOT very common.

Goldfoot
07-24-2005, 12:29 PM
It was two minutes five minutes ago.

Jacques
07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Banana, I love the mp3. I'd offer you my penis, but I don't know if you'd want it. Instead you can have the empty poda can sitting next to me.

Yeah, I'm PrisonSex's friend from Florida. PODA. Not soda, not pop. Poda.

Slightly more on topic, I can never figure out the time signature of Tool songs. I suck like that.

Bubba_Phat
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I know this is n00bish, but could anyone tell me where the morse code originated from? I've looked around a little to try to find it, but I'm too lazy to keep looking.

merkabalus
07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.toolband.com/index_frames.html

Scroll down to July 17th...

Tertius Oculum
07-26-2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.toolband.com/index_frames.html

Scroll down to July 17th...

It was actually in an earlier post, but that works too.

merkabalus
07-27-2005, 05:17 AM
It was actually in an earlier post, but that works too.

Yup I know... I just couldn't be bothered to find the original news post last night ;)

Bubba_Phat
07-27-2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks.