PDA

View Full Version : 8 track

bluefire
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
So I hear the band originally recorded this CD on an 8 track while they were in france, then converted it to CD and Vinal format. I guess my question is, why in the hell would they do that? There has to be a reason for them to go through the extra work. Any Ideas?

SpiralOutKeepGoing
08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
So I hear the band originally recorded this CD on an 8 track while they were in france, then converted it to CD and Vinal format. I guess my question is, why in the hell would they do that? There has to be a reason for them to go through the extra work. Any Ideas?

because Tool is special like that. they can do whatever they want with whoever they want.

Travis
05-07-2006, 07:08 AM
If I'm thinking of the right type of 8 track some characteristics unique to them are that they loop, and they can't be rewound. They're also analog vs. a CD. One of those reasons maybe? The looping aspect seems feesible, and analog is always prettier than digital. Where did you hear that it was put on an 8 track first?

martyrinexile86
05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
yeah, a source to this outrageous claim would be most appreciated.

blitzedge
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
i seriously doubt this.

bluefire
06-06-2006, 09:59 AM
the final interview with the fat bald dude from mtv

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lSDD4yRRJNY&search=maynard%20tool

he claims it was recorded on an 8 track.

Aunt Acid
06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
A Tascam 8-track? I owns one of thems.

imatoolhed
06-17-2006, 08:55 PM
cuz' it's easy to record on. on the go, quick ideas what have ya.

Headphones
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I would be shocked if this record was recorded on an 8 track. Danny's drum kit alone probably requires at least that many inputs. They would have to constantly do mix downs to add additional tracks, making the sound quality worse and worse. I think that that rumor can be placed under "implausible".

justify_denials
04-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Although I myself read the same thing about it being recorded on 8 track. Though the recording does sound very much analog to me. Actually, before I heard anything about the album being recorded on 8 track I always that it was analog recording. It's got that almost analog harsh-warmth feel to it. Not the real bad digital harsh. If it is indeed digital recording, god it's the fucking greatest digital recording I ever heard!

justify_denials
04-06-2007, 03:35 AM
I would be shocked if this record was recorded on an 8 track. Danny's drum kit alone probably requires at least that many inputs. They would have to constantly do mix downs to add additional tracks, making the sound quality worse and worse. I think that that rumor can be placed under "implausible".

Although are there not 16 track and even 32 track analog recorders? I could have sworn there are 16 track recorders. Fuck, if you want tape recorders, the Tascam, what model was it? Tascam 388 I think; Reel to reel recorder has 32 tracks. To whoever said "implausible" about this subject, im sorry I say "plausible".

justify_denials
04-15-2007, 01:53 AM

Yeah, from my experience of course. I used 4 tapes to record a song once.tape one drums, tape two drums guitar1, tape three drums guitar and guitar2, tape 4 drums guitars1/2 and bass.
Refer to my previosu post for the topic of this thread.

dirkz
06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
cuz' it's easy to record on. on the go, quick ideas what have ya.

I'm going with this theory, that maybe they just recorded parts of it so they wouldn't forget it. The final cut probably wasn't on 8 track, they just used it when they had a burst of inspiration. That's mah opinion.

setvak
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new here, so forgive me. Why did Tool opt for a lower-quality (overall audio, of course, not the songs themselves) sound on Aenima? To me, the first several times I listened to this album, it felt as if I was listening to Tool through a layer of old, stained glass, to use some unnecessary imagery. It was my second Tool album, and Lateralus was my first; I was expecting a sound along those lines. I guess some prefer Aenima's slightly grainy sound, but I just find it odd that they would make that deliberate decision.

setvak
10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Strange, I actually listened to Aenima with good headphones today, and I think I'll almost retract that statement...it was the intro to Eulogy that did it.

TJP
02-25-2008, 08:18 PM
maybe the songs done with paul are the ones with the 8 track