PDA

View Full Version : opiate 2002?

spook
11-20-2002, 08:50 PM
Given how tool has "evolved" { in my opinion, anyway} since their early days, how well received do you think Opiate would be now if it were just released and tool were still that obscure band from L.A.?

ragna16
11-21-2002, 04:45 PM
The hypothetical question is never worth answering. Today it would be lost in the stinkhole I would imagine.

povvy
11-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by spook
Given how tool has "evolved" { in my opinion, anyway} since their early days, how well received do you think Opiate would be now if it were just released and tool were still that obscure band from L.A.?

I'm not sure about how it would be "received," but I would definitely enjoy hearing the E.P. re-recorded today. TOOL's style has certainly changed from '91/'92.

Patrick.

disposition8
11-26-2002, 10:20 PM
I doubt they would rerecord any of the songs off opiate, with the possible exception of the song opiate. then again they haven't really changed that song even live. It's a good CD so if it were released today and tool was just coming out I don't think it would do badly per se, but the music industry has changed alot since then, as has music. I do think that it would be interesting to have some of the songs on here rereleased as singles, with videos. I'd love to see a video for jerk off or Opiate. I think that i'll be waiting a long time before I see something like that however, record companies don't like putting money into projects like that.

scorpioali
12-01-2002, 02:49 PM
i don't think anyone would care if opiate were just released now. honestly, i don't think *i* would care.

rickiep00h
12-01-2002, 03:03 PM
I think the thing about Opiate is that it's so far removed from everything else that was going on at the time. THAT'S what got the album, and the band, noticed. Now, however, everyone seems to have fallen into the pit of being "different", unfortunately, being different apparently means being exactly the same as everyone else that's been deemed different. Look at Korn, Tool, all the bands that started musical revolutions in the early ninties, and then look at all the bands that imitated them. That's what music has become now, is a bunch of imitators, and I think that if Opiate WERE released now, Tool would be branded as a bunch of imitators.

A remastering/rerelease, however, might be enjoyed by fans. I don't know. The only thing that bothered me about Opiate and Undertow was the fact that the production was very much different from now... I think it's the same thing that sets all the Metallica albums apart... it's not the compositions, it's the production.

You want stylistic changes, look at Pink Floyd or The Beatles.

orenge_pop
12-02-2002, 04:59 AM
ah today we have retard parents who try to look out for the best for their kids, and probly would have given tool a bad time.. because people are dumb like that. But then again i could be wrong.

assiah
12-02-2002, 03:46 PM
as a drummer, opiate would catch my attention because Danny Carey is so good. i think a lot of other musicians would say the same thing, not just about Danny though. i can't help thinking, though, that opiate is different than a lot of the mainstream stuff on the radio now. i think it has a different flavor, and that the lyrics (as similiar a message to the other bands' as it may be) are more direct. maybe my opinion is altered because of my enthusiasm about TOOL though.

preacher
12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
I feel that Opiate was such a raw album that none other can really compare, seems to be kind of a sampler with some live tracks and ended up being epic. At least for the fans. I do agree that the songs also stand out and are very direct lyrically. This album standed the test of time for my music library for a lot of years and is still one of those discs that I give ample playing time. Some music is just timeless. What if Floyd or the Beatles had just been released? Would people scoff at them? Tool is one of those bands, in my opinion, that will be an icon for future generations, they just happened to land in the nineties. Perfect timing in my opinion, giving new hope to a hopeless generation.

national
12-05-2002, 09:35 PM
tho the music industry has changed alot since opiates release, i doubt that it would recieve such a different reception. the ep would still be cast as a unique release from a unique band.
the fact would still remain that tool are still way ahead of there time even if opiate was released today. kinda speaks for itself really.

im out.

Swanson M.
12-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by orenge_pop
ah today we have retard parents who try to look out for the best for their kids, and probly would have given tool a bad time.. because people are dumb like that. But then again i could be wrong.

I think that's really ironic because 1992 was the time when the PMC (Parent's Music Council) was trying to censor people and get warning labels put on music to stop it from selling. The song Hush seems to apply very well to the issue both then and now, emphasized by the Hush music video!