PDA

View Full Version : Cesaro Summability.

Windowlicker
02-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Since no one has answered my topic on the cesaro summability site, here another time.

The whole album fits so perfect, every song is where its suppose to be expect for this one.
Anyone any suggestions about why they would put this one on the album? I don't see a message or something.
Although, after the baby cries and you going to focus on the voices in the background and you hear the weird sound coming up.....thats a really weird experience...
Any thoughts?

neveragain
02-12-2003, 06:47 AM
I was listening to Aenima last night, and I think that Cesaro fits in there okay(by TooL standards). Aenima is filled with all sorts of little breaks, and weird fillers. This one is no different in my opinion, it sounds like Adam learned how to make some sort of engine reving sound using delays, and flanges, so they decided to use it in one of these weird moments. I personally don't try to decipher why the album is filled with these strange pieces, I just view thenm as the smallest parts of a masterpiece. Definatley one of the strangest things I've ever heard, obviously the dudes are into math, I think they titled this one because it was a concept they came across when learning themselves stuff, not because it fits.

Windowlicker
02-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Good point, but every other segment like die eier von satan and even useful idiot seems to make a sense. but why did they first use a crying baby and then a sort of engine.

neveragain
02-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Well now I see your point, all of those other segways have a dark humor air about them, and Cesaro has this crying baby and engine sounds.....hmmmmm, of course I would have thought about it more in depth if I wasn't so dense and unserstood what you were talking about, good thread dude.

Cesaro Summability---> the world may never know

Of course it could have just been put on the album to make idiots like me ponder it. You know, as a joke, like a puzzle that doesn't exsist. Let's make some crazy noise, put a crying baby in there, and name it after some insano mathematical formula to make evryone think there's actually something to figure out. Just a thought

Windowlicker
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Mmm, thats a good point, but i just dont want to believe that it means nothing. Maybe the song is built up on mathematics :S i don't know.

But this certainly is the most mystique "song" of Aenima.

neveragain
02-12-2003, 10:28 AM
You're from the land of legal pot. I recently started lightly, and infrequently smoking it again, I think things would be different if I lived where you lived, enjoy.

Windowlicker
02-13-2003, 02:55 AM
Pot is really nice, especially now its legal here. Everyone smokes it here and with music its just paradise.

spiralion
02-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Weed can have good effects on good music and weed can have bad effects on bad music. Just look at the popularity of the Grateful Dead.

Choke
02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by spiralion
Weed can have good effects on good music and weed can have bad effects on bad music. Just look at the popularity of the Grateful Dead.

grateful dead were awesome, to say weed made them popular is wrong. Have you even listened to their live material???

TimothyLeary
02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by spiralion

Just a point, G.D. music was for acid, not for weed.

burnitup33
03-07-2003, 10:21 PM
just a thought i had
i read somewhere on this site that cesaro summability has something to do with infinite sets whose net gain/loss or change was zero. which is somewhat of a paradox, that infinity is closely related with nothingness
likewise, the paradox in the segue is that a babys birth is seen as a natural, very organic type of thing yet at the same time there are machines and electronic noises in the background. thats how i see the title relate to the actual 'song'

lalizards
03-16-2003, 07:58 PM
I don't know...my own interpretation of this segue was that the child-'humans' was being consumed by the beast-'machines'. my own little cracked out interpretation, perhaps there is merit, perhaps no...

Lachrymologist
04-02-2003, 10:37 AM
A song with crying leading into a song about destruction...
Seems to fit to me.

Windowlicker
04-03-2003, 01:22 AM
But what about those machine sounds Lachrymologist?

Peace.

vermin
04-11-2003, 12:11 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if it originally was ment to be some sort of short movie.

for instance, you see this baby in close up, then the camera zooms out and you can see this baby is in some sort of cocoon, floating around in outer space.
thats what i see before me when i close my eyes. what do you see?

spiralion
04-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by vermin
i wouldnt be surprised if it originally was ment to be some sort of short movie.

for instance, you see this baby in close up, then the camera zooms out and you can see this baby is in some sort of cocoon, floating around in outer space.
thats what i see before me when i close my eyes. what do you see? nice one dude, I always like it when someone looks at something from a new perspective like that

lastdaiz001
04-25-2003, 08:18 AM
check out the Krull/Aenema sync. the part at the end of cesaro where it sounds like something is falling mixes perfectly with the movie. check out my thread "another mindless sync" for setup info. if you've seen the aenema/nbc sync, trust me...its not as impressive as this.

Nirvana
04-25-2003, 08:22 AM
This is what i found in the "Picture" Section

http://toolshed.down.net/pix/cesarodefn.gif

maybe you got somethin about that?

Travesty79
05-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Not to screw anybody's little worlds up, but how do you know it's an engine revving? Or any representation of mechanics at all? It also sounds like the beating of an insects wings amplified and slowed down.

42&2
11-17-2003, 06:50 AM
Sorry, I just thought that this might help in regards to what that "engine" sound was/is. Well, I play the bass (well, try anyway) and wanted to get that cool sound that Justin gets on schism in the breakdown, so I bought myself a whammy pedal. I like to muck around with it and see what noises I can get, and one day I put distortion on the whammy, then unplugged the lead and placed it on the strings (Tom Morello style). Anyway, I was surprised to recognise the sound as the Cesaro Summability sound, pretty much down to the tee (except for the whacked-out bit at the end). I'm pretty sure I'm right with my opinion because I read in an interview with Justin that he thought he went overboard with his use of the whammy when he first got it. Ænima and Lateralus have a few songs where Justin uses the whammy:
Eulogy,
Cesaro Summability,
Third Eye,
Schism,
Lateralus, and
Disposition.
There's probably others but I just haven't discovered them yet.

Essex
11-17-2003, 01:24 PM
You know, mstajduh's message really pissed me off. The name of the band is Tool, not "Maynard's Band." How about we give credit to the entire band and not just to the lead singer.

Mehhico
11-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, for those "fillers" I generally look into the surrounding songs to get an idea of what Tool might have been doing with it. So, lets look at Pushit. The last lines are: " Just remember I will always love you, Even as I tear your fucking throat away. But it will end no other way."

One way to make sense of it is to take the road of Oedipus. See peoples reference to the oedipus complex under pushit for more info. But, basically, he has slayed the dragon, or broken the cycle, and he can now become a man. A kind of re-birthing of sorts.................hmmm.............so, a baby crying, eh?

Then there is Ænema, which some may say is a universal call to mother nature to do something to change our current falling of society and what we have done to the earth. Although the individual has battled their personal problems, the rest of the world has to do something aswell. And what has been the major problem with humans not reaching the next dimensional level? The impact of technology and machines. Since we have been using these things, we have become way too reliant on them for our everyday tasks, almost to the point where you don't have to think at all.

By the way, I am pretty much clutching at straws, so if there is anything interesting in what I am saying, please let me know ;)

So, I suppose one way to look at the meaning of this "filler" is that, although we personally may be able to make this change, and kill the dragon so to speak (not neccessarily the complex, but all of those things which have dragged us down and away from our "true self"), the whole race must also do it. I think the sound of the "machines" as you call it may be a way to portray the absolute difference between something as pure as a new-born (wide eyed innocent) and the tormenting, relentless sounds of the commercial industry.

Wow, I just pulled all this shit from my arse, and it doesn;t even smell that bad.

<sniff sniff>

oh, dear god, it DOES smell. Gross!! <pulls shirt up over nose>

Take care,
Andy

dischordance
11-18-2003, 04:25 AM
You know, mstajduh's message really pissed me off. The name of the band is Tool, not "Maynard's Band." How about we give credit to the entire band and not just to the lead singer.
I think he was referring to the voices during the engine-revving part of the song.

If Cesaro Summability is mathamatically about the paradox of infinity being close to nothing, consider Ænema, where the world can either learn to swim and evolve, or drown and become nothing.

Other than that, I agree with Mehhico somewhat. The entire album was about death and rebirth (Eulogy, H., Forty-Six and 2, Pushit, Ænema...), so a baby crying seems to fit perfectly. I'd like to think that the revving sounds are about machines eating up humanity, metaphorically speaking, but I doubt it - the only song on the album related to technology was Stinkfist, and Cesaro Sumambility is nowhere near it.

Just a few thoughts.