PDA

View Full Version : New Album Producer Info? - EQ Magazine

+void+
06-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok let me just express this before continuing...
I am not saying this is or isn't true or means anything, I just thought that some of you might find it interesting and I haven't seen a thread about it yet.

In the new issue of EQ Magazine there is a cover feature on Joe Barresi, he is a record engineer/producer who has worked with some great bands on some great records, such as...Tomahawk, Kyuss, Jesus Lizard, The Melvins, and many more.

In the feature on him it says something along the lines of "Melvins guitarist Buzz Osborne liked Barresi's unorthodox approach to recording so much that he reccomended Barresi for Tool's new record". If Barresi is actually the engineer/producer on the new Tool record that is a good thing as his recordings sound very full, natural and analog.

So far, from rumors it seems like either Joe Barresi or Alex Newport is engineering/producing the new Tool record. Which is nice because both of them do very good work...somehow though I just wish David Bottrill was working on the new Tool record. Something about his work with Tool and the sound was/is just awesome.

Twelve
06-28-2005, 02:48 PM
that's cool. it would be cool for omar a rodriguez-lopez to produce it though. he's wonderful.

Nith Sahor
06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Joe also produced the new QOTSA album...

c4nnon_fodder
06-28-2005, 04:33 PM
So far I like both of these producer's work. I wouldn't mind either of them on the new album.

bluefire
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Tool has such creative control over their music that I doubt that any producer would noticably change their sound. I do, however, agree that it might be best that they stick with bottrill if only for the "if its not broke, don't fix it" cliche.

saut
06-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Wow, the production was wretched on that. I hope this guy isn't going to be doing Tool.

ATARI
06-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Wow, the production was wretched on that. I hope this guy isn't going to be doing Tool.

exactly my thoughts

MasterOfKtulu109
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
the QOTSA album sounds bad because of the guitar and drum tunings they use. They have always had muddy guitar and muddy drum sounds. I wouldnt judge a person based on the QOTSA.

I, too, want Bottrill again, but he's with Staind now, so it's not happening.

If it sounds anywhere as good as Lateralus, I will be satisfied.

blue/shimmering
06-28-2005, 06:55 PM

i loved the production on that.

Tyson
06-29-2005, 02:19 AM
After Lateralus, fuck Bottrill.

Shirley Massy has been doing some great work lately.

+void+
06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
the QOTSA album sounds bad because of the guitar and drum tunings they use. They have always had muddy guitar and muddy drum sounds. I wouldnt judge a person based on the QOTSA.

I, too, want Bottrill again, but he's with Staind now, so it's not happening.

If it sounds anywhere as good as Lateralus, I will be satisfied.

Bottrill has been finished with the new Staind album for a while. He's been done long enough to start on the new Tool record, especially since it now looks like a late September/October release at the earliest. I hope he worked on it.

I wouldn't mind the sound to be like "Mit Gas" production-wise...if this Joe Barresi guy is involved.

Nith Sahor
06-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Shirley Massy has been doing some great work lately.

You mean Sylvia Massey right?

Hogpile
06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Machine should produce the new Tool album. Because I said so.

+void+
06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I also just had a thought...Tool could have maybe decided against working with David Bottrill for their new record because of all his recent work, (post-Lateralus), with shitty-pop/nu metal/mainstream generic rock bands like Staind, Godsmack, Mudvayne, etc...

This would make sense as they would probably want to have a different sound and try something new or fresher than what is currently going on.

MasterOfKtulu109
06-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I also just had a thought...Tool could have maybe decided against working with David Bottrill for their new record because of all his recent work, (post-Lateralus), with shitty-pop/nu metal/mainstream generic rock bands like Staind, Godsmack, Mudvayne, etc...

This would make sense as they would probably want to have a different sound and try something new or fresher than what is currently going on.

why would tool hold a grudge against a guy for doing his job?

tool doesnt believe that bottrill should have some exclusivity or something. that's just stupid. should tool stop making music because they are played on the same stations that play linkin park?

Estevan
06-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I just found out from a knowlegeable but confidential source that Tootie from Facts of Life is producing T00L's new CD, entitled 'JUGS!'

ATARI
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM
i still say steven wilson should do it

o00mega00
06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
I just found out from a knowlegeable but confidential source that Tootie from Facts of Life is producing T00L's new CD, entitled 'JUGS!'

YES!! I knew it would have something to do with Titieess. But do you think they will go with the pierced look or au-naturale? And if pierced, rings....bars.....or maybe the "janet jackson" nipple nut?

+void+
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
why would tool hold a grudge against a guy for doing his job?

tool doesnt believe that bottrill should have some exclusivity or something. that's just stupid. should tool stop making music because they are played on the same stations that play linkin park?

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying they would hold some sort of grudge against David Bottrill, nor am I saying that Tool should have exclusivity with him.

What I am saying is that they may have wanted to get a different producer/engineer since David Bottrill's sound has been heard so much already...and not just on Tool's records. That's all.

TheInsideSource
06-30-2005, 03:15 PM

WTF?!

I personally wouldn't mind the band members themselves producing the album together... They've pretty much done it with previous albums, hence the "co-produced by" in the credits, so it would be nice to see them do everything in-house.

triad636
06-30-2005, 04:19 PM
i agree.. tool should just produce it themselves..they shouldnt have to rely on somone else im sure they are very capable of doing it..

jar_4_ever
06-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Tool has such creative control over their music that I doubt that any producer would noticably change their sound. I do, however, agree that it might be best that they stick with bottrill if only for the "if its not broke, don't fix it" cliche.
I don't think any of the members know all of the inner workings of the studio, especially analog stuff. Obviously Tool is going to get the sound they want, but to assume that no other people besides the band will have an impact on how the record sounds is to show how little you know about how the music buisness works. No matter how much control a band has the main engieneer, main producer (if different), and mastering engieneer are all going to have their own effect on any record.

InertUniformity
06-30-2005, 05:40 PM
ok

Fink
06-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Quincy Jones

Fortunate Son
06-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Steve Albini

+void+
07-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I told you, I told you...

17 Jul 05

SESSIONS, CREDITS
& LUNCH BREAKS FROM • • • – • • – – • – –
Although it might not get mentioned on the next CD, for the past couple of weeks, a multi-tasking chef Maynard has been providing the barbecue for his fellow band mates to consume at lunch breaks during the recording process. However, last Thursday (or maybe it was Friday), a guy named Joe (not Ron!) something or other who is working with the band grilled up some kind of sausages that were described as “excellent.” Knowing this is a bit vague for many Tool enthusiasts who want specifics about the recording process, tomorrow I will attempt to find out some more details about these sausages of Joe’s.

P.S. - Don't post about how someone already created a thread about this...cause they should've searched and posted in this one. Thank you.

fire engine
07-18-2005, 01:28 AM
I was just looking for the post above. I'm sure working with The Melvins and Tomahawk has prepared this dude for working with Tool.