PDA

View Full Version : not all tracks HDCD?

skywarp94
02-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Every time I play my Lateralus CD at work, Windows Media Player displays a little HDCD logo near the bottom left of the window where the pause/stop/forward buttons are.

Here's the thing though. I decided to make a compilation disc of my favorite Tool songs (turned out to be 2 discs - I dare any of you to make only 1 CD of your favorite Tool!). The way I did was I took all the songs I wanted and converted them from their CD forms to wav format. Then the only effect I applied to the wav files was normalization, so the volumes wouldn't vary. Well, I also chopped off the 2 or so minutes of silence at the end of Triad, but that's not really an effect.

Well now when I play back the CDs I made, only certain songs from the Lateralus selections display the HDCD logo in the corner, while others don't. The ones that do:

The Grudge
Schism
Triad

The ones that don't:

Parabol
Parabola
Lateralus
Disposition
Reflection

(You can bitch me out for leaving out any of your favs somewhere else, with only 160 minutes to play with, some stuff had to be left out)

It's really odd because all through Reflection, the logo doesn't appear, but at the very end, about a half of a second before the track switches to Triad, the logo pops up.

Where am I going with all this babbling? I think because the CD itself was HDCD, the logo appears when you play the CD, but at the same time not every track may have been recorded using the full 20-bit technology or whatever HDCD is that regular CD isn't. So I think when I converted to audio files and burned them back onto CD, now the player somehow knows which tracks are specifically HDCD and which aren't. It might be interesting to convert the whole CD and see out of all the tracks, which ones say HDCD and which don't.

I thought it was rather interesting to see this.

holy reality
02-11-2003, 04:26 PM
do they make portable cd playeres that play hdcds? and are they called hdcd players or what? because i was looking at them in the store today and coudln't find one that said anything about playing hdcds

wizzertz
02-12-2003, 04:25 AM
So far in my research I have only seen a few home theater rack units that play HDCD and only two car receivers as well. I do know that Microsoft recently aquired the company that devised HDCD. I am wondering if they built a software decoder for HDCD into their new Windows Media 9 version. Which version of Win Media are you using skywarp?

HDCD's might turn out to be a dying format with SACD and DVD audio on the horizon. I have seen car setups utilizing multi channel DVD audio solutions already.

edit - I am gonna rip the whole CD to test this, plus I could always use a data backup of my fav cd.

Convoy_X
02-12-2003, 04:56 AM
HDCD and just plane old CD whats the difrence?

skywarp94
02-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Convoy_X
HDCD and just plane old CD whats the difrence?

http://www.hdcd.com/about/index.html

Entropia
02-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah i wish i had an HDCD player to see what Lateralus sounds in that format.