PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell have they put this song on the album???

Windowlicker
02-11-2003, 02:14 AM
i think its irrelevant. And you? Any suggestions?

Penguin
02-11-2003, 08:08 PM
I don't know. Ask them.

Windowlicker
02-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Im asking about YOUR opinion.

paraflux
02-24-2003, 12:58 PM
It's not arbitrarily placed for no reason. They dont do that. What we consider to mean nothing consciously may be buzzing with meaning unconsciously.

seeker
02-24-2003, 02:16 PM
you should read some of the threads on this topic... there are some interesting ideas.

paraflux
03-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I think the problem here is there is no knowledge sought, really. Just a blank question that does not require an answer because the asker doesnt really care to know, just wants to state an opinion that this song doesnt matter.

SansReality
03-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Paraflux's got it if your not looking for meaning then of course you cant see it. I agree the song is really strange and doesnt seem to fit but the meanings people have came up with make sense. And TooL doesnt mess with people like this, its easy to put out a pointless song to fuck with fans TooL makes everything large, meaningful, and complex.

There are no coincidences

Rattlehead
12-09-2003, 06:05 PM
I think that it's main purpose is to build suspense for the next song. Just like (-) Ions builds up to Third Eye.

AllforUnity
12-11-2003, 08:02 AM
l agree with the last comment.

Sandoz
12-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Their label gives them a bonus for each filler track.

Next stupid question please...

The song fucking rules. The baby at the beginning and the trippy sounds with the discussion... I love it. It definitely belongs there. All of the so-called segues do. They're here for a reason.

Which reminds me... If you put shuffle on when listening to Tool, you're missing half the point.

AllforUnity
12-13-2003, 12:38 AM
You have to go in order...the tracks mold together.

Machiavelli70
12-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Eon Blue Apocalypse, Mantra.

Why was Act 3, Scene 2 in Othello?

The Grudge
01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
This is a very trippy song. With the baby and the noises you get a kind of disturbing feeling...I love it.

umbilicalchemist
01-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Listen to the right channel of the song..
it's different from the left.

faaip de oiad?

svet-am
03-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Here's a bit about Cesaro Summability (and this has a bearing on the TOOL universe). I sent this to Kabir to be included as a 'correction' for the FAQ.

When dealing with infinite sums, you often have to calculate their convergence value (the bane of many, many Calculus III students).

Often times, infinte sums do not converge to a given value, making them basically useless mathematically since you cannot work with anything that approaches +-infinity or simply does not converge at all (like the alternating series which just alternate between values of +-1). These series are called divergent series.

To handle divergent series, you can divide the Riemann sum by it's summatic inverse, 'forcing' it to converge to a rough approximation of the overall sum. This allows you to work with it a little more easily. (btw, this is a very terse and rough explanation, but enough to give you a more concrete idea)

The bearing that this has on the TOOL universe is the play on the word 'divergent'. Cesaro Summability is a method for dealing with divergent entities.

Often times a new child (a baby) can bring together two divergent people and force them to get over themselves and be adult about things.

Put in the proper context, I hope that this makes a little more sense.

BTW, this is just my $.02 on this topic...

AllforUnity
03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Listen to this song backwords while meditating.

vatas
06-07-2004, 01:30 AM
I think it's a just-born baby, begining of the world. Then, in Aenema we have how this world has gone to shit and he wants mother nature to end it. And in (-)Ions we have what is after the storm, that maynard is asking in Aenema, that has destroyed the world.

I believe those 3 songs are connected.

Raev'n
06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Also seeing as jimmy seems to be about a young person maybe it's trvelling back from being 11 to when he was born and then the discussion is a fight or something that starts the fact that someone left in jimmy. And it was put after it just to piss us off and think it about Aenema?

polly wants a cracker
09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I agree with the mister threadstarter about this. AEnima is ruined by those filler tracks

Cyanide ChrYst
09-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Some of them are okay. But some are just stupid. Like especially the one before 46 and 2.

Enoob
09-29-2004, 06:40 PM
I think the fillers are basically their way of saying "we put what we want to on our album, not what you want to hear" and having some fun with it

Machiavelli70
09-30-2004, 05:32 PM
I believe the fillers are meant to be transitions from one atmosphere/song to another -- you can see this manifestation in Lateralus. However, they don't quite work in Aenima, and it detracts from the album.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Perhaps the whole reason is, tool's songs are often very long and very intricate...it must take twice as long to build a song of that length and musical depth. After nine solid months of working...they probably only have eight or nine songs, so they have to make up some shit to fill in the blanks. Only tool can get away with it though, I'd have to kill any other band if they tried it. APC needs to knock it off too.

Undertolerance
11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I think that most of you have missed the whole point of the "filler songs". They are in fact not filling anything except peoples heads with mindless nothing! A few of you had gotten it but not nearly enough. They are on the albums to create cohession of the album as a whole. I doubt that they just throw the "shit" in at the end as a few of you have suggested. Also svet-am has the meaning of Cesaro Summability, which as far as I have seen, read and been told is essentially an equation to solve "unsolvable" equations. And I feel that there in lies the answer to all you queries. Next question...

Machiavelli70
11-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I really don't think that though -- it's definately music for ambience's sake (see the piece Atmospheres for Double Bass). It's designed to evoke an emotion or feeling of some sort. It just does it without words.

GAiDEN-CHaKRa
12-03-2004, 06:29 AM
i agree with undertolerance

Carny_Handles
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
I think it's a just-born baby, begining of the world. Then, in Aenema we have how this world has gone to shit and he wants mother nature to end it. And in (-)Ions we have what is after the storm, that maynard is asking in Aenema, that has destroyed the world.

I believe those 3 songs are connected.

close but i think its an aborted/miscarried baby due to the cesaro summability, that's natures way of dealing with it. then Ænima makes perfect sense, then naturally 3-rd eye.

"suck it down (abortion), flush it down (misscarrage)" and at the end of the song you hear a sucky thing..

nipploleon dynomight
02-05-2005, 03:02 PM
-(ions) are supposed to make you feel good. 3rd eye is like an intense acid trip. You first get a buzz like marijuana with acid, then you start to trip. Maybe maynard had this in mind.

nipploleon dynomight
02-05-2005, 03:04 PM
close but i think its an aborted/miscarried baby due to the cesaro summability, that's natures way of dealing with it. then Ænima makes perfect sense, then naturally 3-rd eye.

"suck it down (abortion), flush it down (misscarrage)" and at the end of the song you hear a sucky thing..

.... Pretty graphic despription there buddy.

exojjl
02-11-2005, 10:55 PM
I believe the fillers are meant to be transitions from one atmosphere/song to another -- you can see this manifestation in Lateralus. However, they don't quite work in Aenima, and it detracts from the album.

Not at all.
It works perfect on aenima. Except they are a bit more fucked up. I think the more you are fucked up, the more you can actually understand it.
So let me put it this way, if you knew me personally, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest of course) you would rate my level of "fucked-up-ness" at more than 9. Most likely you would give me a 9.87.
So let me explain something.
The intro to 46&2 is a building of a thought, and it starts to rise, then it gets cut off by another thought. Simply that is all it is interpreted as by me, and in certain atomosphere is left to certain people in certain situations and certain ways of life, and certain mindsets to interpret it their own ways. IT could be static on a television, and then simply the channel is changed to another channel (or in this case, of course, another song).
So in conclusion, no one here is a fucked up genius such as me.

ThIrdEyeCarrots46
10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
they put it on AEnima because its a useful idiot
it takes up space but it doesnt do anything

Marshy
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
the fillers make sense, it keeps the album from being a constant onslaught of emotion.

martyr_02
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I once heard that they put the fillers, or seques, in there in order for the songs to be properly digested. Meaning that their songs have so many diferent levels of emotion to them that you need time to think and recover. I like that idea. First time I listened to Ænema I was high off my ass (not literally, it's just a turn of phrase....Jeez get your head out of the gutter), so when the songs finished and the seques took over I lost my train of thought, but when the next song came on I was shocked back into the album. Yeah that was a good night. :)