PDA

View Full Version : As much as I would like an official release date...

0ne /V\ind
06-13-2005, 09:44 PM
it would fuck everything up due to people downloading it. I usually d/l all new albums so I don't waste money (With Teeth), but Tool is one I just wouldn't.

well that was a pointless thread I suddenly regret posting it

MasterOfKtulu109
06-13-2005, 09:54 PM
it would fuck everything up due to people downloading it. I usually d/l all new albums so I don't waste money (With Teeth), but Tool is one I just wouldn't.

well that was a pointless thread I suddenly regret posting it

i honestly do not think Tool will ever have a problem with people downloading instead of buying. they have an established and supportive fan base. sure, their sales may be a little lower than it could be due to the internet, but im gonna be surprised if the new one doesnt break the 400k mark in the first week.

with all the maynard and tool worshippers, they will buy it no matter what.

im tired of artists bitching about low album sales. if you look in the last year or so, the albums that have sold the most are the best albums....i dont think its a coincidence that people are buying the good cds. make a good album worth buying = most people (some will still download) will buy it.

Goldfoot
06-13-2005, 10:08 PM
im gonna be surprised if the new one doesnt break the 400k mark in the first week.

I dont know about that. NIN didnt reach the 300k mark and many NIN fans buy more than one copy of the album as soon as they can.

LoKi
06-13-2005, 11:15 PM
because on first listen they think there must be a mistake with the pressing? and that trent could never make an album that bad...

waffel
06-14-2005, 12:02 AM
I think the reason the NIN cd didnt sell so was because it was kinda.... corny?

nddurst
06-14-2005, 12:05 AM
If I remember correctly, Lateralus pushed the 600k mark in its first week. I could be wrong though. It's happened before.

Twice.

I am positive that it was #1 on Billboard that week, until Staind pushed it down the following week.

P.S. What does announcing a release date have to do with people downloading it? Either it's going to be leaked or it isn't.

Isac Khrondor
06-14-2005, 03:21 AM
I would wait for it to come out in the shops, it would ruin it to have it on my pc so soon I think.

The Schwab 91
06-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Lateralus sold over 550,000 first week and was #1 and it really did not have a single out that long.

LoKi
06-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Lateralus sold over 550,000 first week and was #1 and it really did not have a single out that long.

it didn't have a single people could buy at all...

or did it?

i dunno, it was so long ago...

MasterOfKtulu109
06-14-2005, 09:16 AM
I think album sales are hard to predict, which is why I think a lot of albums don't sell as well as expected.

Just look at SOAD's new one, Mezmerize. It sold almost 500k in the first week (like 800k worldwide). I never saw that one coming (I'm not sure the record company did either), especially since it's a short album (36 mins), and i had no idea they were that popular. They sold as much in the first week as Dave Matthews' new album did. Kinda scary, but nice to see.

Also, Staind's new one comes out Aug. 9, so Tool's will definitely come later, which should definitely help sales (Staind is about the only major rock release in the next few months). I'm sure the new Tool one will be #1, but its hard to tell how many it will sell. You can be #1 with 200k copies these days. The days of 1.5 million in the first week are long gone I think.

MoSeS
06-14-2005, 09:17 AM
It would be great if the guys in Tool leaked something they called the "new album" but in reality was nothing more than a joke..

Ocelot199
06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
So my question is.....did Lateralus get downloaded alot prior to it's release?

I beleive half the album leaked about a week before the release, then the other half the next day. But yeah, of course people downloaded it... Maybe because it was so close to the actual release, not as many got downloaded... is there any way to really know how many people download a leak?

Wretched
06-14-2005, 11:17 AM
I actually have no intentions of listening to any of the tracks off the album until I buy it. I downloaded the new NIN record before buying it, but that is only because I don't respect NIN as much as Tool.

I just want to experience the album as it was ment to be experienced. I can't wait.

Ktuluvic
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I know lateralus was leaked at least a week before, maybe a few weeks before actual release. I didn't download or listen to any of the tracks, but few friends had copies. When it comes to tool albums, I like to have the whole package, check out the artwork, flip through the book, then throw the album on when I have a chance to just listen without interuption. That excitment of having the album and waiting to hear it is fun and part of the experience of a new tool album. If only other bands offered that.

Twelve
06-14-2005, 12:35 PM
does anyone still have Poopy the Clown? I wanna hear it.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
06-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't think it was actually recorded

solomonarul
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
yeah...i gave it to the devil...

idiotboy
06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I downloaded the new NIN record before buying it, but that is only because I don't respect NIN as much as Tool.

</obvious></fanboy>

this "new record" that isn't actually being made, i don't think i'm going to download it either. not out of some kind of respect for tool, which i have on a songwriting level, but because mp3's sound like shit (i feel bad for the thread-starter who's missing all the good detail and subtle harmony of with teeth that's missing from the 320kbps mp3's) and the last "leaked" tool i downloaded ended up being like 8 minutes of an air conditioner running or something, and that was a large download on dial-up. i got "pewaned" or whatever the internet kids are calling it these days.

Pineal
06-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Fuck downloading it when/if it leaks.

If this happens I'm staying away from these boards and anyone I know who would download it, at least until it has had a good dozen spins in my cd player.

Winter
06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I usually d/l all new albums so I don't waste money
What kind of a moron would waste his money on something so stupid as music?

thirdseason17
06-14-2005, 11:22 PM
It's not that hard to get stuff leaked. With so many people working on a cd it's very possible for one of them to get a copy of it. And when the cds get shipped to stores before they're to be officially released employees can sometimes grab a copy.

The Let Down
06-15-2005, 01:26 PM
</obvious></fanboy>

this "new record" that isn't actually being made, i don't think i'm going to download it either. not out of some kind of respect for tool, which i have on a songwriting level, but because mp3's sound like shit (i feel bad for the thread-starter who's missing all the good detail and subtle harmony of with teeth that's missing from the 320kbps mp3's) and the last "leaked" tool i downloaded ended up being like 8 minutes of an air conditioner running or something, and that was a large download on dial-up. i got "pewaned" or whatever the internet kids are calling it these days.

pwned

thirdseason17
06-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I did it with emotive and amotion.

Heh. You should have told everyone how much it sucked before it was released.

How hard was it to grab a copy of cd that wasn't supposed to be released for a few days?

idiotboy
06-15-2005, 02:09 PM
How hard was it to grab a copy of cd that wasn't supposed to be released for a few days?

i used to work at suncoast (they used to be a dvd store but i think they're going belly-up these days...) and the bosses there were real fucking pricks about sneaking out advances. "yeah, these are the dvd's coming out next week. you can look at the box art, for just a second, but only 'cuz i'm here and i said it's ok." *rolls eyes*

thirdseason17
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
lol.

Toolgarden
07-01-2005, 03:17 AM
I wanna see the artwork.

Maybe it wil have more fat people having sex!

UtUmNo1
07-01-2005, 03:59 AM
I worked for Target

Hahaha!

Fucken loser.

UtUmNo1
07-01-2005, 05:50 AM
No.

Ex PFC Wintergreen.

UtUmNo1
07-01-2005, 06:30 AM
You don't get it.

Do you?

UtUmNo1
07-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Didn't think so.

I like people calling me sir. Keep it up.

UtUmNo1
07-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Read Catch-22.

You'll catch on.

Heh.

Laxku
07-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Read Catch-22.

You'll catch on.

Heh.

I fuckin love Catch 22. It's brilliant. Well....that or insane. Or both. Funny as hell, regardless.

shorabali
07-01-2005, 07:47 PM
i bought the system cd a day before it was release dint he states so im proably gonna hear the tool album before most of yall.

Svucktar
07-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Hahaha!

Fucken loser.
hahaha

MasterOfKtulu109
07-01-2005, 09:57 PM
i bought the system cd a day before it was release dint he states so im proably gonna hear the tool album before most of yall.

most albums are on the internet at least a week early. hearing albums early is not something new...

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
07-01-2005, 10:03 PM

and you are proud of that ? You should be ashamed.

It's your problem anyway, for my part I'll just enjoy it more than you as I'll listen to it as a whole, real, complete album that I just bought...

Haaaa... I've been waitin for so long to do that with Tool... as I too am a post Lateralus fan....

idiotboy
07-01-2005, 10:10 PM
most albums are on the internet at least a week early. hearing albums early is not something new...

yeah, but remember that first leak you ever heard? it was so magical. *sniff* i made a copy for everyone i knew the first time and thought i was so the shit for having an album before it came out. now we're all like "yeah, their new album's coming out in 3 months; it's pretty good" with so many bands.