PDA

View Full Version : Danny's New Electronic Drums....

Akasha
06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Did anyone notice this in the May newsletter:

"... and Danny's new electronic drums were Vince's brainchild... not to mention that new dimension beam contraption that will enable Danny to play without drumsticks. Need I continue?.."

Now, tool has a link to Vince's homepage, this is it:

http://www.synesthesiacorp.com/eyris.html

Have a look at the Video and Audio examples (in the 'Whats it Do Menu?') of the device he has made, then think of the fact that:

"....Danny's new electronic drums were Vince's brainchild...."

All of a sudden the following statement:

"...new dimension beam contraption that will enable Danny to play without drumsticks"

Doesnt seem like a joke, because this device that Vince invented uses MIDI, and all Electronic Drums use MIDI, this thing can without a doubt be used to control Danny's new electronic kit, or certain parts of it, especially since both were created by the same person. This is very interesting, and exciting as well.

Naga Royal Guard
06-02-2005, 06:54 PM
oh wow, now tool is using a freaking optical drumming machine

they might as well turn into a rap group

elevate
06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
You're a fucking idiot.

blue/shimmering
06-02-2005, 08:25 PM
i dont think it's Dannys style. that man always got physical when playing.

umbilicalchemist
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
well that reminds me of that:
http://www.dannycarey.org/techfuture.html

I like very much Carey's electronic drumming style on tracks
like The Grudge or Triad so i think it would be a nice
progress of their sound if he finally uses them in the new
record.

Akasha
06-03-2005, 12:16 AM
This doesnt mean hes not gonna drum with sticks people. It means that he MIGHT be using that little gadget for doing EXTRA stuff with his drums, weird effects etc etc.

Isac Khrondor
06-03-2005, 01:44 AM
oh wow, now tool is using a freaking optical drumming machine

they might as well turn into a rap group

*eye rolling*

TheInsideSource
06-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I can't wait to not only hear the new kit on the album, but to see Danny performing with it live... Oh hell yes!

munted_soul
06-03-2005, 01:53 AM
I downloaded the videos on that site it actually looks pretty cool.

But I don't see what that has to do with drums.

TheInsideSource
06-03-2005, 01:55 AM
I downloaded the videos on that site it actually looks pretty cool.

But I don't see what that has to do with drums.

The way that synth is used... That will be how Danny will be able to play the drums, without actually touching them.

Akasha
06-03-2005, 02:00 AM
The way that synth is used... That will be how Danny will be able to play the drums, without actually touching them.

Exactly. MIDI is just a set of instructions, it IS NOT MUSIC. So, if you had a program that played a MIDI guitar, and saved that as a MIDI file, you could import that into another program that will use the exact same file to trigger a drum sounds using the same instructions. All midi does is trigger a pre-recorded sound, so that means it can trigger a synth sound, and it can trigger a drum sound. If danny wanted to he could play a synthesiser with his electronic drum kit, because all it is is a set of instructions.

In regard to that little contraption of Vince's, instead of using it to trigger those synth sounds as in the video examples, danny could use it to trigger his drum sounds.

Chris_Brightwell
06-03-2005, 06:10 AM
well that reminds me of that:
http://www.dannycarey.org/techfuture.html
Exactly.

This has been in the works for a while.

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 07:20 AM
what a fruit w/ his purple clipboards

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 07:21 AM

how does it work tho?

paraflux
06-03-2005, 07:36 AM
If you dont know how it works, why are you all jumping on a "Tool is turning into teh rapPer groop" soapbox?

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 07:48 AM
it is not a soapbox, but a suspicion i have feared since i heard triad on lataralus

that is all

paraflux
06-03-2005, 07:55 AM
So... you have an honest suspicion that Maynard is about to become a rapper.

Hm.

elevate
06-03-2005, 07:58 AM
how does it work tho?
Not like a fucking drum machine....at all.

Ming
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
The new Tool will be like when Rush went from Moving Pictures to Signals.. Or perhaps for the less puritan Rush fans from Signals to P/G.

Just kidding I hope.

paraflux
06-03-2005, 08:42 AM
I tried to follow that analogy, but couldnt...

Ming
06-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Guitar Riffs vs Synth driving the main melody and the addition of electronic drums interspersed here and there.

elevate
06-03-2005, 08:49 AM
What is P/G?

Hogpile
06-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Back off naysayers, this kit is the shit.

Love,

Danny

elevate
06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Guitar Riffs vs Synth driving the main melody and the addition of electronic drums interspersed here and there.
Yeah, I never really understood all the hoopla. It always seemed like a rather smooth transition to me. Rush had been using synths since, what, A Farewell to Kings?...2112? And the electronic drums made their debut on Moving Pictures.

Chris_Brightwell
06-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Just kidding I hope.Me, too. Rush sucks.

Ming
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Me, too. Rush sucks.

They were awesome when geeks were still losers. Then when it became okay to be a geek it all went to hell.

Kelly
06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
You're a fucking idiot.

no you are a fucking idiot

elevate
06-03-2005, 01:21 PM
So you're Naga's bitch?

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
So you're Naga's bitch?

theres room for you since you want it so badly

elevate
06-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Are you ever going to explain how the Eyris is a drum machine, or are you just going to continue to further the cause of idiocy with each and every post you make?

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Are you ever going to explain how the Eyris is a drum machine, or are you just going to continue to further the cause of idiocy with each and every post you make?

i have explained my case in multiple posts above, you are entitled to read posts more than once if you do not comprehend them at first; i encourage you to do so

elevate
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
i have explained my case in multiple posts above, you are entitled to read posts more than once if you do not comprehend them at first; i encourage you to do so
Help me out here...

"oh wow, now tool is using a freaking optical drumming machine. they might as well turn into a rap group"

"what a fruit w/ his purple clipboards"

"how does it work tho?"

"theres room for you since you want it so badly"

Which one of these explains how it's a drum machine?

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 05:11 PM
dont get cocky with me, stop twisting around the things I say just to suit your own festering opinion; grow up or get the fuck out

and yea, purple clipboards are fruitier than elton john in a perfume store

elevate
06-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm a complete moron who never actually described how the Eyeris was a drum machine, mostly due to my own ignorance about what a drum machine, or any other music-related piece of gear, does.
There, fixed that for you.

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm a complete moron who never actually described how the Eyeris was a drum machine, mostly due to my own ignorance about what a drum machine, or any other music-related piece of gear, does except to shove up my ass and play toxic.

dont post this type of shit again, thank you

elevate
06-03-2005, 05:17 PM
So...you gonna explain how the Eyeris is a drum machine?

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 05:36 PM
i fucking already did bitch, now stop trolling

Akasha
06-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Exactly. MIDI is just a set of instructions, it IS NOT MUSIC. So, if you had a program that played a MIDI guitar, and saved that as a MIDI file, you could import that into another program that will use the exact same file to trigger a drum sounds using the same instructions. All midi does is trigger a pre-recorded sound, so that means it can trigger a synth sound, and it can trigger a drum sound. If danny wanted to he could play a synthesiser with his electronic drum kit, because all it is is a set of instructions.

In regard to that little contraption of Vince's, instead of using it to trigger those synth sounds as in the video examples, danny could use it to trigger his drum sounds.

Thats how it works as a drum machine.

Naga Royal Guard
06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
exactly, i dont know what anal elevator is so heated about - freakin angsty teenage girls are just all like that

Isac Khrondor
06-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Why does everyone think those purple drum pad things are new, or being made as we speak for the next tour?

They were used allready, Danny just hasn't updated his site for a long time.

kyyuulle
06-04-2005, 04:54 AM
i'm sure even if he is going to use electronic drums, it's not going to completely suck

Orph8998
06-04-2005, 06:03 AM
They were awesome when geeks were still losers. Then when it became okay to be a geek it all went to hell.

modern life is rubbish...

i dont see anything wrong with elctronic drums, i am sure he wont just let it play a simply beat and just sit there...they will most certainly be used to make his playing even more complex, or just to hold out while he goes synth crazy
i personaly think its a good thing, it takes tool away from the metal side of their playing, which in my opinion, is a more than good thing

elevate
06-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Thats how it works as a drum machine.
Except that's not how a drum machine works. That's how any MIDI controller works.

Akasha
06-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Except that's not how a drum machine works. That's how any MIDI controller works.

That was my point, i was trying to show that it is a midi controller, so although it controls synths in the video and audio examples, it can also be used to control an electronic drum unit.

TheNothingSong
06-07-2005, 02:54 AM

My belief was that MIDI didnt play pre - recorded sounds/loops but used a sound envelope to create the sound. Which is why you can manipulate the sounds so much with a MIDI Keyboard and a computer.
yes?
no?

elevate
06-07-2005, 06:28 AM
That was my point
I don't get it...then why did you say that's how it works like a drum machine?

paraflux
06-07-2005, 06:44 AM
/end unbelievably retarded discussion.

This thing is not a drum machine. It is a MIDI controller. You can use any MIDI controller to do most of the things this one does. So, if anyone would care to discuss how this machine might affect the new album go ahead. Any more arguing about whether or not it is a drum machine, or if tool is turning into a goddamn rap act, will be deleted. Ludicrous.

cureformax
06-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Ludicrous.

Not really sure if Ludicrous will have an influence, or make an appearance, on the album.

Not sure how cool this is. Didn't Jimmy Page do something similar to this? Well, I for one do not care. Some cool effects would be nice, and the continual "pushing of the envelope" in true Tool fashion will be expected.

dannycarey.org: "Some new drums are in the developement stages for the next Tool Tour -You'll learn about them here soon!" Featuring what looks like a row of purple triggers, sourced on the page as "newdruma.jpg" That's as far as I will go into guessing.

5th Eye
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Then when it became okay to be a geek it all went to hell.When did that happen??

Unifaun
06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
My belief was that MIDI didnt play pre - recorded sounds/loops but used a sound envelope to create the sound. Which is why you can manipulate the sounds so much with a MIDI Keyboard and a computer.
yes?
no?

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a communication protocol. it can control a synthesizer, a synthesizer can control other synthesizers via it, it can control a sampler, it can control a drum machine (a sampler) that uses samples, or generates its own synthesized sounds.
MIDI doesn't implicitly say anything about the sound you hear.

Ming
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
When did that happen??

Around the turn of the century.

Christoff
06-13-2005, 04:20 PM
I'd agree. It was about the turn of the century. And I am sure Radiohead were something to do with it...

With regards to this new contraption, I am sure this type of technology isn't completely revolutionary as I remember visiting a 'special needs' school department almost ten years ago and they had music machines that were triggered by light sensors.

What will be great is hearing what a master like Danny does with his new toys.

Akasha
06-15-2005, 12:42 AM
What will be great is hearing what a master like Danny does with his new toys.

Exactly, these are not new, and not revolutionary in what they do, but, to see what can be done by someone of Danny's skill and creativity level is what got me interested. A drum kit is no revolutionary piece of equipment, but look what happens when you put Danny behind it, i think he could do some sik stuff with this contraption, especially since his latest obsession is vintage synths, and he has such an interest in electronic drums (he started out with an electronic kit with real cymbals if you didnt know). Could hear some interesting sounds on the next album, and although blairs not a reliable source, he has stated that danny has some new tricks up is sleave.

c4nnon_fodder
06-15-2005, 10:03 AM
modern life is rubbish...

i dont see anything wrong with elctronic drums, i am sure he wont just let it play a simply beat and just sit there...they will most certainly be used to make his playing even more complex, or just to hold out while he goes synth crazy
i personaly think its a good thing, it takes tool away from the metal side of their playing, which in my opinion, is a more than good thing

You really don't like metal do you?

triad636
06-15-2005, 12:06 PM
i don't like the modern metal.. its crap.. like theese shitty bands like slipknot... trivium.. as i lay dying... crap like that is just a waste of music.. so i can see where he is coming from.. he just wants TOOL to stay away from that kind of music... im sure tool will never dabble into that music cuz maynard makes fun of that music on a daily basis... but there are only a few metal bands that i like.. and they arent like the new ones.. the ones i like are old metallica... megadeth .. judas priest.. pantera stuff like that

c4nnon_fodder
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
i don't like the modern metal.. its crap.. like theese shitty bands like slipknot... trivium.. as i lay dying... crap like that is just a waste of music.. so i can see where he is coming from.. he just wants TOOL to stay away from that kind of music... im sure tool will never dabble into that music cuz maynard makes fun of that music on a daily basis... but there are only a few metal bands that i like.. and they arent like the new ones.. the ones i like are old metallica... megadeth .. judas priest.. pantera stuff like that

You are misinformed about metal. All of the shitty bands you mention are Nu-Metal (Slipknot, Korn, ect.) There is good modern metal, just takes time to find it (not on mtv or fuse) and it depends on the degree of metal you want, there are so many different genres to go through.

triad636
06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
yea i no... sorry about that i no there are some good metal bands do u have any suggestions...?? some bands u like??

Faith+1
06-19-2005, 06:33 PM
he has used many midi controlers over the years. the one on the website isnt the EXACT one he is using, he can afford to get stuff from synthsasia that normal buyers couldnt afford

MentalSanityOff
06-20-2005, 01:15 PM
youre all wrong, including blair. on the new album, danny wont be using a drumset at all, it will all be orchestral percussion. He will be armed with nothing more than 2 timpani, a snare drum, a triangle, and a guiro.

Akasha
06-21-2005, 04:42 AM
youre all wrong, including blair. on the new album, danny wont be using a drumset at all, it will all be orchestral percussion. He will be armed with nothing more than 2 timpani, a snare drum, a triangle, and a guiro.

And of course the cow bell, dont forget the cow bell!

5th Eye
06-21-2005, 05:50 AM
I doubt anyone uses cowbells in any sort of orchestra setting. When would you use it? For some farm symphony?

Hogpile
06-21-2005, 06:33 AM
megadeth .. judas priest..

Please refrain from ever discussing "metal" again. Thank you for your cooperation.

Akasha
06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I doubt anyone uses cowbells in any sort of orchestra setting. When would you use it? For some farm symphony?

wtf, were mucking around man, calm down.

5th Eye
06-22-2005, 05:06 AM
I know; just throwing that out there.