PDA

View Full Version : Nothing more than Fibonacci Sequence?

toolloot
05-30-2005, 06:50 AM
While skimming through this topic I noticed that everyone is quite clearly discussing the Fibonacci Sequence. But I was wondering does anyone have any idea about what the lyrics actually mean? "Black and white are all I see..." etc.

Can anyone explain it?

Perseensilmä
05-30-2005, 06:59 AM
search. I think that all that can be discussed about these songs and albums has been discussed.

Navid
05-30-2005, 08:13 AM
search. I think that all that can be discussed about these songs and albums has been discussed.

Yes... Just to be safe, you better not voice your opinion here. Who knows what chaos would ensue if you were to answer the question posed. I just thank my lucky stars that we have people here who are insightful and intelligent enough to let the rest of us know when a song has officially been discussed enough.
Perhaps we should inform the webmaster that these forums have served their purpose and are now a useless waste of space?

Regarding the lyrics:
The song Lateralus seems to follow the same theme as that of most of the album - that of personal and mental growth. The reference to the colours may have something to do with Aboriginal beliefs (I recall reading somewhere that black, white, red and yellow have some special significance.) It's not too hard to guess at what significance there is in the colours. From mental infancy to maturity, one sees more depth in life and can decipher deeper meanings in things (not just simple black and white). The song seems to encourage keeping your feet upon the ground - but simultaneously losing yourself in the beauty of the world. Avoid overanalysing things (maybe we could all take a little something from this?) only takes away from experiences.
Which lyrics in particular are you wondering about? I would've thought most were pretty self explanatory.

Perseensilmä
05-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Yes... Just to be safe, you better not voice your opinion here. Who knows what chaos would ensue if you were to answer the question posed. I just thank my lucky stars that we have people here who are insightful and intelligent enough to let the rest of us know when a song has officially been discussed enough.
Perhaps we should inform the webmaster that these forums have served their purpose and are now a useless waste of space?.

No, no, no, nothing like that. I was just trying to inform you that with search-function (see above, it´s located on the top of the page, in between forum *** and home buttons) you can search for people´s opinions and the things they have found out. You dont necessarely have to ask them anymore, because everything can still be found (if it hasnt been deleted). So, there are already alot of interesting reading. Of course you can still discuss these things, but people who have already analyzed these things may not feel like they should go on about them anymore. So, I a was just saying that there is this search-function and you can find people´s observations with it. I didnt want to kill the conversation.

Thanks for the compliments though. You know, the lucky star-stuff.

Navid
05-30-2005, 08:58 AM
No, no, no, nothing like that. I was just trying to inform you that with search-function (see above, it´s located on the top of the page, in between forum *** and home buttons) you can search for people´s opinions and the things they have found out. You dont necessarely have to ask them anymore, because everything can still be found (if it hasnt been deleted). So, there are already alot of interesting reading. Of course you can still discuss these things, but people who have already analyzed these things may not feel like they should go on about them anymore. So, I a was just saying that there is this search-function and you can find people´s observations with it. I didnt want to kill the conversation.

Thanks for the compliments though. You know, the lucky star-stuff.

Very good. I was just in a sarcastic mood. Cheers for the polite reply though old boy. Lucky-stars indeed

thomas jefferson
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
has anyone ever read the giver? im not really gonna go into detail, but its about a utopian society who only see in black and white, and this guy starts to see red and yellow. it probably has nothing to do with lateralus, but its interesting, nonetheless.

Navid
05-30-2005, 03:21 PM
has anyone ever read the giver? im not really gonna go into detail, but its about a utopian society who only see in black and white, and this guy starts to see red and yellow. it probably has nothing to do with lateralus, but its interesting, nonetheless.

Interesting. Maybe the book also borrows from the Aboriginal concepts? Perhaps only loosely?

I'm intrigued anyway - and searching for books I may enjoy. What did you actually think of the book? And do you know the author?

DeRais
05-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Yeah, but in lateralus it seems to be about discovery and growth, and in the giver the one kid sees color to spare people the "burden"...

thomas jefferson
05-31-2005, 08:01 AM
yeah...i havent read it in like three years though. i thought it was good, Navid, and the author is lois lowry

toolloot
06-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Books that shed light on Lateralus?
I'm interested, tell me more!

oracle
06-02-2005, 05:40 AM
While skimming through this topic I noticed that everyone is quite clearly discussing the Fibonacci Sequence. But I was wondering does anyone have any idea about what the lyrics actually mean? "Black and white are all I see..." etc.

Can anyone explain it?

Black and white is all I see in my infancy red and yellow then came to me.

Having just had a child, this is a true statement. When a newborn first arrives, all they can really focus on is black and white, then gradually they can focus in on primary colors (i.e. red and yellow). I only know this because the books and other interactive playthings for new babies are in black and white patterns. Although babies can see color, they have an easier time focusing in on the black and white contrasts. This is how I interpreted the opening lines anyway.

toolloot
06-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Black and white is all I see in my infancy red and yellow then came to me.

Having just had a child, this is a true statement. When a newborn first arrives, all they can really focus on is black and white, then gradually they can focus in on primary colors (i.e. red and yellow). I only know this because the books and other interactive playthings for new babies are in black and white patterns. Although babies can see color, they have an easier time focusing in on the black and white contrasts. This is how I interpreted the opening lines anyway.

That seems like a pretty good explination. Thank you.

oracle
06-05-2005, 03:02 PM
This is what I do

oracle
06-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Actually I read one of the interviews posted here where MJK states that those words were inspired some what through native american legends and stories.

thomas jefferson
06-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Actually I read one of the interviews posted here where MJK states that those words were inspired some what through native american legends and stories.

as did i, yesterday.

toolloot
06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah I found some stuff on the Aboriginal point of view of the song. Interesting stuff. *Strokes face pubes*

Kelly
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Can anyone explain it?

OKAY

supposedly when the earth was first created for life, the only colors were black and white, then red came, then yellow, this is a scientific explanation and exactly the reference Maynard is talking about, he is saying that since he sees the world differently now, he is going back to a place where he will start over. DON'T QUESTION IT

oracle
06-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Huh?? These are based on native american legends and myths, not a whole lot of science to it. besides back when the earth was created, color did not even exist, except as vibrations. It wasn't until someone with a brain capable of assigning a term to what we percieve as color that color came to be.

mutable
07-24-2005, 09:39 AM
The reference to the colours may have something to do with Aboriginal beliefs (I recall reading somewhere that black, white, red and yellow have some special significance.) It's not too hard to guess at what significance there is in the colours. From mental infancy to maturity, one sees more depth in life and can decipher deeper meanings in things (not just simple black and white).

Well, I don't know if you know this or not, but, when a baby is first born, they see in black and white, I forget how long that lasts for, but it's not long. Then after that, the first colours they can see are red and yellow, that doesn't last very long either. So that's what the reference to colours always makes me think of, so it makes me think of growing up and maturing, could be wrong though...

Electriarnation
07-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I've heard they refer to Kether, the head of the Tree of Life.

Black and White -- Kether's black hair and white heaband, a symbol of those who are ignorant (ie, a child).

Red and Yellow -- his holy aura. It basically means that those who can see it are enlightened and can view his entire body, but mostly the red and yellow aura around it.

But that's just what I heard.

Citizen Erased
08-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I remember reading someones theory on the first few lines of the song.

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.

This meaning, a timid person. As we are born, we are very ignorant to things surrounding us, and may just be fixated on smaller things that interest us at that time. Scishm also mentions about losing the art of conversation. A timid person may only see things in black and white (only talk about certain things, that interest only them).

red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me. lets me see.

They have now become more open minded, and seem to be willing to accept new things (new colours). More confidence in ourselves to talk about new things, and to branch out. It makes them see how foolish they may have been, to be so narrow minded on certain issues and not willing to accept new ideas.