PDA

View Full Version : Astral Projection

randomspiral
05-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I dont know if this topic has been mensioned or not but imma bring it up anyway. Latley iv been doing alot of research about astral projection. Ill give a brief description for those that dont know what it is. Essentially it a way to leave your body with your soul or spirt or what have you, and be able to travel around the world, go to space if youd like, fly, sort of like a lucid dream but much more clear and you have much more control. Iv been listening to the albumn since it came out and have always tried to put a theory or story behind it. Im pretty much convinced that Lateralus is about astral projection. All the pieces fit. For example, there is usually a struggle to leave your body, Iv done it once personally and i freaked out, my heart rate increased dramatically when i realized i wasnt in my body, and i kept trying to go back but it wouldnt work. Took a good 5 min to get back to my body. So track one the grudge can be between your body and spirit. Patient- it is incredible how much patience and consentration it takes to astral project. People use mantras to do it aswell. I think you can see where im going with this. If anyones got some insight on astral projection i would appreciate your thoughts........oh and Reflections is a good song =)

Darkest Night
05-29-2005, 01:20 PM
how do you leave your body? i want to try it.

tiphera
05-29-2005, 05:58 PM

We have a fact in logic which kind of claims that if a 'reasoner' is reasonable enough, then if it really believes in a fact, then that fact a is a subjective truth.
Being reasonable is also defined. The definition includes some degree of 'self-awareness'.

Rings any bells?

Darkest Night
06-02-2005, 07:24 PM
...?

tiphera
06-04-2005, 12:14 PM
...?

OK...let me see
The question is, do you believe that if you believe in something, then it's true?

oracle
06-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Well I would like to know how to remote view while your at it.

Darkest Night
06-05-2005, 09:01 PM
i did that

Dr. Jake Destructo
06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
I've tried this once. I gave up after half an hour. :-/

I do know that people who are into astral projection are also into sacred geometry, which is a big theme throughout Lateralus.

shly
09-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I've tried this once. I gave up after half an hour. :-/

I once went to a gnostic course on Astral Projection (out of curiosity) - www.gnosticweb.com .. I'll summarise what I understood from it:

- When you fall asleep, your brain goes into autopilot mode and starts to play dreams (REM sleep).

- If you can stay aware as you fall asleep, the moment that you do fall asleep you can 'leave your body'. Your brain doesn't start playing dreams and, instead, you can 'mentally' travel in this world or go to other 'dimensions', eg. the Astral.

- The method to stay aware as you fall asleep can involve various concentration techniques but, unless you're a natural, will involve LOTS of effort and practice. So I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work after half an hour.

- Astral projection is not the same as Lucid Dreaming. LD is when you become aware AFTER you've fallen asleep and can direct your dreams yourself. However, the gnostic people would say that you're still in your body and it's as though you're just watching a movie.

- Yes, their site looks like a cult, but if you judge things like that then you're wasting your time. Take what you want, discard what you don't, Bruce..

Having said all that, I have to EMPHASISE that I'm not claiming any of this as fact. Even if I've experienced the above, I couldn't objectively claim it as fact so if you get all angsty about my post - try sit-ups instead, Bill..

My conclusion: anything significant requires effort and persistence. All the best!

pluto
09-04-2005, 07:07 PM
thats really cool! ive had so many nights were i was concious that i was falling asleep, but once i realized that i knew that, i put myself into sleep mode. so now hearing that, i think im gonna try it...

FireWakizashi
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I've been reading into Astral Projection and Out of Body Experiences for quite some time, and I might be able to share some insight on the topic. I always like to ask people a question before I go on to explain, so that they can relate to this insane idea that very few are aware exist.
Have you ever been falling asleep, only to suddenly be jerked awake by an intense falling sensation? This is evidently an unforced seperation of the body and mind that occurs in a deeply relaxed state.

If you would like to leave your body, like the above have mentioned, you basically must fall asleep while staying conscious. Get in a comfortable position (I have to be on my back), and completely relax your entire body. Hopefully you won't be itchy, ha. Then, you must zone out using any of many techniques. I personally feel myself falling into a dark abyss to simulate falling into a deeper more relaxed state of mind. An important part of the process is making this sensation feel as real as possible. Clear your mind, and purge all of your daily problems. You might begin to see vivid images and even hear sounds. This is good, as you have advanced to a deeper level of relaxation. As you relax, you should begin to feel vibrations, which are very important. The most important aspect of Astral Projection, however, is that you remain completely passive. You cannot be scared by what is happening, nor excited. You must simply remain calm and accepting, allowing these feelings to overwhelm you and ultimately allow you to seperate yourself from this realm. Good luck, haha.

magnolia
09-25-2005, 11:21 PM
I actually listened to Lateralus while I was reading up on astral projection too. I tried projecting while listening to it and instead I just sort of entered this spectral mindscape atmosphere that the music created for me... and Maynard was basically singing about astral projection to me, but using the same usual album lyrics.

Then I kind of woke up.

Egocentric
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
So astral projection would be synonomous with OBE?

I think that Lateralus, the song as well as the album refer to the entirety of reality. Of the spiral-motion world that we are inhabiting.

The astral projection defenitely says a lot about what we are, and how we are infact spiritual beings, far apart from the common conception. The mind inhabits the body, but we ONLY know reality from mind, we have no choice or ability to deviate beyond direct perception.

I quote "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings have a human experience". Think about that.

I think every song is its own thing, incredibly unique and equal amongst themselves. I think "The Grudge" is pretty straightforward-the mentality behind having a grudge. How detrimental it is, how we allow it yet the problems go unnoticed. The Patient i think is simply about being patient on the path of searching further into your life and reality, having faith that there are rewards and positive benefits.

I also think Reflection has the potential to make me shit my pants whole-heartedly. Never have I heard a song like that. I doubt I ever will.

Edit: oh and as far as AP/OBE experience. I'd say that during meditation I experience a faded OBE, I'm quite certain its a blurred image, in my perception, of myself. I'd say I have gone further and experienced more, but as it is mentioned above, it can be tough to allow the change and the experience itself. it's too easy to shake away the attention and kinda kill it all together. the thought can be kinda scary too, ive never had a clear OBE experience and i find the thought of it akward really. I think I need to commit myself to that experience though, I think everyone does.

kyyuulle
10-04-2005, 04:29 PM
So astral projection would be synonomous with OBE?

I think that Lateralus, the song as well as the album refer to the entirety of reality. Of the spiral-motion world that we are inhabiting.

The astral projection defenitely says a lot about what we are, and how we are infact spiritual beings, far apart from the common conception. The mind inhabits the body, but we ONLY know reality from mind, we have no choice or ability to deviate beyond direct perception.

I quote "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings have a human experience". Think about that.

I think every song is its own thing, incredibly unique and equal amongst themselves. I think "The Grudge" is pretty straightforward-the mentality behind having a grudge. How detrimental it is, how we allow it yet the problems go unnoticed. The Patient i think is simply about being patient on the path of searching further into your life and reality, having faith that there are rewards and positive benefits.

I also think Reflection has the potential to make me shit my pants whole-heartedly. Never have I heard a song like that. I doubt I ever will.

Edit: oh and as far as AP/OBE experience. I'd say that during meditation I experience a faded OBE, I'm quite certain its a blurred image, in my perception, of myself. I'd say I have gone further and experienced more, but as it is mentioned above, it can be tough to allow the change and the experience itself. it's too easy to shake away the attention and kinda kill it all together. the thought can be kinda scary too, ive never had a clear OBE experience and i find the thought of it akward really. I think I need to commit myself to that experience though, I think everyone does.

what does lateralus have to do with astral projection? i can't find a connection...someone wanna help me out?

Night Of Crystals
10-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Ask your friendly neighbourhood psychopath to chop your head off. For a fraction of a second you'll see your body fall to the ground..

pluto
10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
thats really cool! ive had so many nights were i was concious that i was falling asleep, but once i realized that i knew that, i put myself into sleep mode. so now hearing that, i think im gonna try it...

so after i posted this, ive tried it every night. until one night, i almost did it. i could actually feel myself leaving my body, and it scared the shit out of me, it was comepletely unexpected. i havent tried since, but i will again. its some crazy shit.