PDA

View Full Version : sober thoughts

wojofred
05-19-2005, 08:08 AM
OK,
I like to think of myself as an Observant TOOL fan. But after sitting down and listening to my Undertow CD at work the other day i started wondering what this song could mean. I'm wondering if Sober could possibly be some sort of abortion awareness thingy.

just a thought, if you guys feel on feeling this out with me drop a note.

bluefire
05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
abortion awareness? You mean like killing unborn babies? You have to be kidding. Really, thats stupid as fuck.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Impossible. Pearl Jam made a song about Abortion and the pain behind it though :P

Tool does not = Pearl Jam...
Tool isn't terribly political, so why would they care about abortion too much. If anything, H. is the only song that even could have hinted at it, if its truely about his son "Devo" (that might be a pseudonym, i think)...Cuz in the most liable interpretations, its about choices, and also his son/the choice to keep or leave him
"I am too connected to you to slip away, fade away..." line? Thats just one example.
And the whole metaphor of the snake in his mind keeping him down, wanting him to make the immoral, selfish choice...ya know what Im getting at, but its a tiny bit farfetched and out of proportion.

Sober? No. If you must say that, enlighten us to why you imagine :P

wojofred
05-20-2005, 03:43 AM
i just think that the "murder must we" line and the "past and gone" stuff can refer to maybe regretting a decision that was made. and he does make a reference to "the son"

and on another note, thank you to bluefire for her completly ignorant comment. if you have ever heard anything about the lyrics that maynard and tool come up with they often leave them so open to interpertation that anyone can see whatever they want in the words. its all about our own personal expericiences and how we use the songs to fit our lives, to enrich ourselfs. thats whats so great about tool, they dont tell you what to think or believe, they let you take what they have created and do as you will with it. they just ask that you respect it.

bluefire
05-20-2005, 09:02 AM
and on another note, thank you to bluefire for her completly ignorant comment. if you have ever heard anything about the lyrics that maynard and tool come up with they often leave them so open to interpertation that anyone can see whatever they want in the words. its all about our own personal expericiences and how we use the songs to fit our lives, to enrich ourselfs. thats whats so great about tool, they dont tell you what to think or believe, they let you take what they have created and do as you will with it. they just ask that you respect it.

you tried to turn "why can't we not be sober/I just want to start this over/Why can't we drink forever/I just want to start this over" into save the unborn children.... and i'm ignorant? Your the reason MJK and alot of others think tool fans are idiots. You act as if these 4 people are gods sent to earth to make music to give your life purpose. They can't make a song that is a metaphor for 5 different subjects. You just read waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far into their music and see things that aren't there. They are a talented and intelligent rock band, no more no less.

wojofred
05-20-2005, 09:10 AM
not once did i say that it was a song song condemming/advocating the act of abortion. i guess i was unclear on my first post. all im sayin is that i feel it can be put in that kind of situational context.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
No offense, not taking either side ya know, but now that I think of it, you can put it into a situation like that through a scarce few lines but its not enough...Tool is vague at times though, yes.

And also, everyone likes flaming noobs >.<

bluefire
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
If I try hard enough, I could interpret a 50 cent song into an "abortion awareness" song. Doesn't mean its what the song is about.

Navid
05-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Not necessarily stupid as fuck though. It's just an opinion. No need to disrespect it.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree completely.

Dr. Jake Destructo
06-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Personally, I think that Sober is about Maynard's feelings on how Christianity has become monotonous and meaningless to many drones..er Christians. (Common typo, the keys are right next to each other)

Jesus won't you fucking whistle,
some but the past and gone

Maynard is saying "Why don't you ever talk about anything new? Your tune has been the same for far too long."

Something along those lines, at least.

With that said, keep in mind that Tool always want their fans to form their own interpretations about songs, so please, think for your self.

I would like to thank Mr. Leary for the last few words.