PDA

View Full Version : My very different interpretation.

holy reality
02-08-2003, 10:55 AM
This may have been brought up before, but I hear this song totally different than most of you seem to.

I see it as an internal struggle...... he is talking to himself, or part of himself that he wants to push away...... that is why he says "if i do we both may dissappear" because you can't just eliminate part of yourself without risking eliminating all of yourself as well.

"You still love me." I hear that and have always heard it since my very first listen,"Yet still I'm me, still I'm me." Though after reading that it was "you still love me" the other day I listened and could see how it could very well be that, but the thing about it is his speach is so slurred in this song that it really is all subjective as to what you want to hear and what you feel. At least to me it is, I can hear it both ways clearly depending on what I want to hear, but I seem to naturally hear it "still I'm me".

In the Salival version he says "WE'RE pushing and we're shoving and I'm scrambling to get my feet back on the ground." Now the "we" could very well be two different people, but it really seems to me the way it is said and implied that it feels a lot more like he is takling about himself when he says "we."

Of course the whole beauty of this and most tool songs is that it can be interpreted in many different ways and still make sense. It could just as easily be about an abusive relationship with another person as it could be about an internal struggle with a part of him that he doesn't want anymore, that is hurting him and casuing him pain.

What do you all think?

dawn
02-13-2003, 09:50 PM
i'm not to sure about this whole anti-gap thing they got going on in here
i am quite inclined to agree with your interpretation. it has shed a new light on the song for me

thanx

holy reality
02-15-2003, 05:56 PM
your welcome, thank you for resonding, as weeks have gone by and you are the first to reply..... hey that rhymed :)