PDA

View Full Version : Hair standing up... (read and reply plese)

A groan
02-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Why i ask,.. why when i play a random tool Cd i start to feel the tingle through my skin and all the hairs stand up un end. Why do i feel an energy cross my body in such a way that i feel a surprise is around the corner. Why do i feel my self slipping into the colors of the tracks, seperating the guitar, seperating the drums seperating the bass, seperating maynards lyrics and emotion drawn voice, hearing it all at once in a rush of awakining.

Sure I can look in to the sea of metaphors trying to find that verse ill cling, to trying to compare myself and experiences and then use it to solve all my whys. But the more I dig the more I know there isnt any answers. Its music and words plan and simple, my inner mind will interpetate them how it wishes. Ill always know that the band just wanted to lend there energy to the world in an artistic impression, and I was just there to soak it up and feel what I can try to imagine they felt when they built the tracks, wishing they knew the importence in art they bestowed apon you and the world, hoping they will never stop sharing your single bit of truth in this cluyster fuck of commercial art and force fed life.

In general 2 million years from now will all be gone and Tool will be 2 so we must take this time not to over analyze the art but understand we all feel those little hairs stand up when the opening chords from 46&2 start up or when parabol ends and you know all of a sudden the fluid sound of Parabola will charge in making you crush that accelerator, sing a little louder or release your binds of trhe day a little faster....but hey what do you expect its fuckin Tool....

winston grudge
02-08-2003, 02:52 AM
well...it's nice to know I'm not the only one...
I think you put it quite a bit more elloquently then I ever coud have...or would have ever been comfortable enough to...yeah.
It's sad how we come to realize what we had only when it's gone. I've had tool in my life longer than I knew and now, years after, I realize it. An, obviously, I thank those who exposed me and beg forgiveness from those who I made fun of, being the stupid, kroq blazing, mass media, like it because they said so cosumer whore I was. You know, back in 10th grade.
I like to think I got my 3rd eye a nice shine from my neighborhood vagrant. I also like to think I'm the queen of canada...but that's besides the point.
Tool picked probably the most fitting representation for their music with the man who spins on the video collection- the music has a quallity that flows into you. Wow, I wonder how many people other than me and...(checking name) 'A groan' have realized this.
Again, back to the whole things you don't have statement. As a child I liked things like no one else my age did. (You should have seen in when I played the 'skeleton's in the closet' tape by Onigo Boingo for all my friends...at my Christian Day Care Center in Pre-School. I was the kid parents liked but had to complain about anyway. (sigh....those were the days))
And, somehow, anything (thank GOD with the exception of said band) I took a deep liking to ended up being dead or not in existance. Gilda Radner- dead, Rainbow Bright in any medium other than BetaMax tape- yeah, right, Madeline Khan- dead, Akira Kurosawa- dead, HAH! bet you all thought I was gonna sy Kurk Cobain! Fuck him and his stupid cry for help. No...I was waiting for some tragic accident to claim Danny Elfman and Frank Sinatra...maybe the cast of the Simpsons...but that didn't happen...I lost my point of writing again...god damn, I hate that....OK, so, flash to 2003. I'm asking people if Bill Hicks still tours and when the next tool album is coming out. I still haven't taken in all of Opiate yet and I'm hitting up my friends for live concert footage, mp3's of concerts in Paris, video's...christ, we don't need crack anymore folks! We have our drug! (and bless Soundsations for having ample supply for cheap!)
Yeah, i lost my point and ended up rambling about myself.
Well, I come home, tell my mom about this wonderful gift of tool I received...stole from my friend and I'm met with,"Oh yeah! Your step dad, when he was working at Stan Winston's was friends with one of the guys from tool. Write them a letter or something and tell them he died." I'm so sure that's what tool needs. A letter from some girl who caught the boat REAAAALL late when it was sitting right infront of her face for YEARS AND YEARS (down to fucking t-shirts, concerts, demo tapes and shit...) telling them that someone who supported them WAY back when died because he decided life was 'too hard.' (he jumped infront of a train in pasedena. Further proof Los Angeles is hell on earth while still maintaining a sunny, warm climate... HE obviously didn't listen to tool enough.) And chances are the people/person he knew who worked at stan's probably hated it more than taking razors and slicing up your scrotum then sticking a finger inside. I doubt he wants to be reminded of that place. It is the place they're talking about in Pushit! The place no one wants to be! well...not really... I hated that place and I didn't ever work there! Yay creative oppression!!! (hence the name winston grudge. That fucker needs a bullet between the legs)
Now, to my...wait, I don't think I had a point. (But hey, if you hung in this long, let me know what you thought)
Okay...'better late than never' and 'look up sometimes. Literally, look up.' People don't seem to realize that you may look both ways when you cross the street for cars but remember to check for what's above your head. You might save yourself from some bird shit. (there- I gave my post a point!!! Go me! ...as I step off my soap box and head to bed.)
Thanks for your time. Sleep well world and dream up some clothes for Maynard. Apparently he really likes...clay...(shakes head, but grins anyway)

fallen_angel
02-08-2003, 09:44 AM
i was just trying to explain (as best allowed by words) to my sister last night, why i love tool. she is getting closer. i will open her mind eventually. *evil laugh* i introduced my brother to them a couple years ago and he said after he heard the intro to stinkfist, he was hooked. the whole energy and mindset of the room changes while tool is playing. i still get a tingle through out my body after all these years.
winston grudge - i would like to agree with you about the drug comment. i also told my sister that last night. she kinda laughed but i think it is true.
i gotta go. later.

aeternus0
02-08-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm a late comer to Tool ... only about a year ago did I first start taking a real interest. It happened naturally, in such a way that I just couldn't deny how good they were. I would be listening to the radio, and some song I didn't know would come on (a Tool song, as I would later find out) and I would just love it. And then the same thing would happen with another Tool song ... First Schism, then Sober, then Parabola, Lateralus, Forty Six & 2, Stinkfist ....
And then came the day when I finally realized that all these amazing songs came from the same amazing group (yea, im slow...). Ever since then, Tool has been the biggest music influence in my life.

Thanx to the members of Tool for giving me something to listen to both when I'm elated and when I'm depressed. Thanks for giving me an excuse to be creative, not that I needed one. And, most recently I suppose, thanks to whoever the hell runs this forum, because thru all the mounds and loads of crap on the internet that I've waded thru, this is one of the few places that has some value, a place where I can go and be reminded in the most powerful way of how many amazing ppl there are out there - because my God the posts on this site are unlike any other message board ive ever seen.

Sykorax
02-08-2003, 06:50 PM
There is no concrete reason for the "tingle" that you mentioned... it is just something that comes randomly... for me, I can listen to "Reflection" and barely hear it one day, but then the next day I'll listen to the same song and it will lift me up and make me think of Mount Olympus and nirvana (not the band; the state that Buddhists try to reach) and I'll almost cry because it's such a f***ing wonderful experience. I think when your mind is open, the songs can take you somewhere that isn't normally possible. Okay, so there's my take on it... probably doesn't make sense, but for me, most experiences with Tool's music aren't really best put into words anyway.

winston grudge
02-09-2003, 02:09 AM
hmm...i actually have to sleep with my cd's, you know, incase I need to listen to one in the middle of the night. But I can't deal with the videos. Speaking of which, me and my mom found one of the models the other day. Probably one from sober. Crazyness...

A groan
02-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Glad to see everyones post show me were all connected in one way, we all have just begun to pry open the eye. And yes there is a bit of the metaphysical sense in that for some but also we all have seen through alot of the "smiling faces with hidden agendas" And as society seems to corrode everyday through ego and ignorance we know its just the cycle of bullshit life has become, and the only solution is to dig deeper and create your on cycle on how you live your own life and make decisions others leave to the masses.

Winston your first post was excellent i noticed a likeness to certain parts of me and it made me laugh.

Well thats it....

winston grudge
02-11-2003, 12:11 AM
why...thank you. It was kinda...long though. heh. I actually made my little brother listen to lateralus today. He's 8. He also didn't quite get it. But hey, plant the seeds early...
wait...you liked my first post...but...what about the second one? just kidding. I don't think I said anything very...profound in my second post. Or in the one i made about strawberries.
But going back to the music, I've found that it's the only thing I can really listen to and sleep with. Well...literally as well. But I 've been finding so much that I like, so much that fills places that I didn't even know needed something. Like 'pushit' helped me to find closure in a relationship and parable and parabola have really helped me to center things in my life. It's kind of like a new perspective that helps to peal off the layers you don't need- like pre installed software. It's a de-tox without being all L.A. about it. That and your sin wont change colour. And now I think it's time for a new album. Because I'm greedy and impatient. Ok, I can probably satisfy myself with Perfect Circle...but only until next spring, Then it's time for more tool, Damn it.
(yet more ramble with no point in sight....)

dawn
02-13-2003, 07:53 PM
its the bass for me
that and the impending feeling of truth reverberting through my being
a reminder that i'm not alone in my radical thoughts of the 4th dimension