PDA

View Full Version : HDCD

ARMZ
05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
I hope they go with this format again. I think the main difference between Ænema and Lateralus is HDCD. If you have a decent sound system regardless of the HDCD compadability then you should still be able to determine the differnce in the rich vibrant sound of Lateralus compared to the dark undertones of Ænema.

Not that Ænema is a dark album, it's just the vocals and guitar stand out the most, where with Lateralus the whole musical score can be heard with such clarity you can hear Maynard's nasaly voice, you can hear Danny not hit the same drum with the same intensity as the last one(not often) and things like that.

Not sure if I got my thoughts across but fuck it I just hope it's recorded in HDCD again.

Isac Khrondor
05-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I want to hear everything, Aenima sounded good, but it was to raw to really hear everything in the same way you can on Lateralus.

Naga Royal Guard
05-05-2005, 01:08 PM
ARMZ is back, cool

Isac Khrondor
05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
I wasn't aware he even left.. or existed.

Dirty Sanchez
05-05-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter unless you have a HDCD system. The difference you hear is just difference in production.

c4nnon_fodder
05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I think HDCD is being phased out. SACD is more commonly used, so maybe they will use that instead.

Tyson
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I highly doubt it would be on HDCD this time.

Akasha
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
The ultimate would be if they were designing their music in surround sound. Like actually creating it in surround sound, not just creating songs and turning them into surround sound compatible. I wouldnt be surprised, theres an interview somewhere where maynard actually states that they are trying to make "3D Sound", he said they experimented with it a bit in Schism(the breakdown, with that intense bass sound, maynards soft singing, adams really slow guitar and danny's bells going off and phasing between speakers), but that they were going to really use it on the next album. Just imagine that, music being created FOR surround sound, instead of the usual stereo, seems extremely overdue already, has so much potentiol.

x7 Lateralus 7x
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
quick question:

Are bongo's used throughout MOST of the songs in the Lateralus album?
I have a bad ear for percussion; I can't even tell the difference between
a timpani and a steel triangle.

Isac Khrondor
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Kind of, tablas are used on Disposition, while the more bongo sounding drums are used on songs like the grudge.
I think theres loads of roto toms being used on Triad aswell

Seven Deep
05-05-2005, 11:41 PM
The difference you're hearing is in the mixing and mastering.

If you don't have an HDCD decoder in your system, you're not hearing the extra 4 bits of information....which to most people, is fairly inaudible anyway. The difference in sound between a standard 16 bit CD and an HDCD is a slightly more glassy response in the extreme high frequencies, which is rendered moot if you don't have a really good set of speakers capable of putting out 18-20 Hz at porportional levels to the rest of the frequencies.

saut
05-06-2005, 10:33 AM
The ultimate would be if they were designing their music in surround sound. Like actually creating it in surround sound, not just creating songs and turning them into surround sound compatible. I wouldnt be surprised, theres an interview somewhere where maynard actually states that they are trying to make "3D Sound", he said they experimented with it a bit in Schism(the breakdown, with that intense bass sound, maynards soft singing, adams really slow guitar and danny's bells going off and phasing between speakers), but that they were going to really use it on the next album. Just imagine that, music being created FOR surround sound, instead of the usual stereo, seems extremely overdue already, has so much potentiol.

Actually, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is very, very nicely done in 5.1 surround sound (the DVD-A version) and was not orignally released in that format. If anything, I think Tool would release the normal CD version, then a DVD-A version. That would be pretty fucking sweet.

Akasha
05-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Actually, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is very, very nicely done in 5.1 surround sound (the DVD-A version) and was not orignally released in that format. If anything, I think Tool would release the normal CD version, then a DVD-A version. That would be pretty fucking sweet.

I think ur missing my point. What i was saying, was not a 5.1 version of their music. But designing their beats, riffs, vocals etc etc in surround sound. Like i dunno, danny doing some crazy drumming, with making different drums of his kit come through different speakers, to produce a spiraling(circling) effect or sumin similar. Not just music put into 5.1, but actually desgning it in surround sound, and then, making a stereo version of it aswell for people without surround sound.

Xanatos
05-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I just hope they do NOT use the new Dual-Disc.

c4nnon_fodder
05-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I just hope they do NOT use the new Dual-Disc.

I have heard stories of it really messing up some people's cd players or the cd not playing at all, so I would agree with you on that one.

Carny_Handles
05-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I hope tool does release a DTS version or at the very least a dolby 5.1 CD. I think they should make a DTS version of Lateralus.

Dr_Gigolo
05-07-2005, 05:00 AM
Why DTS? DVD-A is much higher quality. DTS is compressed.

ARMZ
05-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I think ur missing my point. What i was saying, was not a 5.1 version of their music. But designing their beats, riffs, vocals etc etc in surround sound. Like i dunno, danny doing some crazy drumming, with making different drums of his kit come through different speakers, to produce a spiraling(circling) effect or sumin similar. Not just music put into 5.1, but actually desgning it in surround sound, and then, making a stereo version of it aswell for people without surround sound.
What you have just said is what Lateralus does. Buy your self some decent headphones and I guarantee that this whole new chapter will open up for you. Adam's riffs do swirl around(spiral) and Danny's sonically charged drumming would form beautiful patterns if read by a seismograph.

A lot of people are missing out on the richness of Lateralus due to the fact they listen to it on their cd players where the speakers may only be no more than a meter apart. Take Lateralus to a hi-fi store and ask to listen to it through some decent headphones, turn it to 'The Patient' and if you can hear an electrical sound swirling around your head in the first 40 secs then you're on the right path.

kyyuulle
05-07-2005, 07:54 AM
I really hope this album is recorded in High-Def

it would be something to hear Aenima recorded the same way...i can hear Ions now

The sonic production of Lateralus was pretty stellar

Akasha
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
What you have just said is what Lateralus does. Buy your self some decent headphones and I guarantee that this whole new chapter will open up for you. Adam's riffs do swirl around(spiral) and Danny's sonically charged drumming would form beautiful patterns if read by a seismograph.

A lot of people are missing out on the richness of Lateralus due to the fact they listen to it on their cd players where the speakers may only be no more than a meter apart. Take Lateralus to a hi-fi store and ask to listen to it through some decent headphones, turn it to 'The Patient' and if you can hear an electrical sound swirling around your head in the first 40 secs then you're on the right path.

no, lateralus does not do what i said, because i said to do those things using surround sound. I do have a pair of very good headphones that i usually listen to lateralus with, and i know what you are talking about with the spiraling and whatnot. But imagine how insane it would be if it was in surround sound, if they can make it that good just with stereo imaging, imagine how awesome they could make it if they designed it specifically for surround sound, it would take music to a whole new level. Basically, stereo imaging gives the impression of things such as spiraling, or a surrounding sound, im sure you could imagine how much better it would be if it actualy was in surround sound, and not just making it sound "surround soundish"(thats proly not a real word, but i dunno how else to say it), get what im saying??

Bill_Hix
05-07-2005, 10:35 PM
quick question:

Are bongo's used throughout MOST of the songs in the Lateralus album?
I have a bad ear for percussion; I can't even tell the difference between
a timpani and a steel triangle.

Those are tablas. He uses them in the patient, disposition, and most softer parts of the whole lateralus CD. I have a video for the grudge, and he uses regular drums for that. A lot of bass drum, and a lot of kicker.

as for the timpani and steel triandle

1- timpani- *TSssssh*

2- Steel triangle- *Diiiiiiiiiiiiing*

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
05-09-2005, 02:39 AM
as for the timpani and steel triandle

1- timpani- *TSssssh*

2- Steel triangle- *Diiiiiiiiiiiiing*
I feel somewhat enlightened.

TheNothingSong
05-09-2005, 03:52 AM
So how much difference has anyone heard with a proper HDCD Setup?
That surround sound idea sounds fantastic. Lateralus is alot better with headphones eh. im going to put speakers all around my room and listen to it now.

digitaldragon03
05-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Music in 5.1 would be nice but it still wouldnt be the same as a good ol pair of earphones. When you have earphones, you feel remote and isolated from the outside world. This lets you focus your entire attention on the music, which is the only way to listen to tool. Somehow i dont think many people will sit in the middle of their living room listening to tool in 5.1 for over an hour without getting disracted.

Seven Deep
05-15-2005, 07:10 AM
since when does a tympani go "Tsshhhh"?

5th Eye
05-15-2005, 10:31 AM
It goes "bom".

MentalSanityOff
05-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Kind of, tablas are used on Disposition, while the more bongo sounding drums are used on songs like the grudge.
I think theres loads of roto toms being used on Triad aswell
ive always assumed that they are electronics. danny has i believe 9 electronic pads (some simmons and korg), which can make just about any sound, as is demonstrated by the tons of electronics he uses in just about every single aenema/lateralus song.

Svucktar
05-16-2005, 05:45 PM
The difference is time. The band and music thechnology changed.

Carny_Handles
05-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Music in 5.1 would be nice but it still wouldnt be the same as a good ol pair of earphones. When you have earphones, you feel remote and isolated from the outside world. This lets you focus your entire attention on the music, which is the only way to listen to tool. Somehow i dont think many people will sit in the middle of their living room listening to tool in 5.1 for over an hour without getting disracted.

I have, I've spent many hours sitting/laying down in the middle of my room with the lights off and my eyes closed. I have a very high quality sound system for movies, and it's equally as amazing for music. Add a little marijuana in the mix and you're in for a fun ride. It can be somewhat intense though.. even for me.. someone who's smoked for 3 years now.

symbiosis
05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I have no idea what this HDCD is... really, am that ignorant...