Mark D
02-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Each time I hear The Patient I think of human experimenting. Heres why:

A groan of tedium escapes me,
Startling the fearful.
Is this a test? It has to be,
Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

*The Patient is being tested for stamina and is having the same old tests being run. He is bored of it all.

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

Wait it out,
Gonna wait it out,
Be patient (wait it out).

*He keeps waiting, patiently.

If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along
This tedious path I've chosen here

*He keeps waiting not for himself, but for someone else. He has a reason to be waiting.

And I still may ... (sigh) ... I still may.

Be patient.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

*The choice to give up is there, but if he remembers why he is waiting, he can make it through.

And if there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
And I still may.

Gonna wait it out.

*I think The Patient will keep waiting forever because he has the state of mind in which he cant give up.

Anyway, to relate all of this to human experiments. The Patient is a guinea pig to a greater cause. He is being tested on again and again until his testers find what they desire. No progress seems to have been made yet, but The Patient will wait until something happens. He will keep giving blood and keeping faith that his testers are experimenting on him for a good reason and that he will wait and be loyal.

This was a really confusing thread to write. If anyone can make any sense out of my words or has anything to add, please do so.

Nirvana
02-08-2003, 08:51 AM
your point of view is really amazing...

I think your right for a big part... but youve overseen 1 little thing

Why is the patient waiting... for what?...

hes been tested... right... giving blood... alright... but then... where will he wait for?... the results?...

And his desire to go out that place... is really great... Why Waiting... hes got no reason to stay?...

You say the reason is because he waits to help others... if thats really the point... i dont see it... explain that to me please

If You anwser this questions... i really will understand you...
I really want to know that... try to figure that out!

PEACE!!!

flipmojo
02-08-2003, 11:15 AM
This song may be about a general outlook or perception on life. The song is titled "The Patient" which could mean a type of people. People with the desire to help and heal those in need. I believe it is spiritual healing and not physical healing he is speaking of. The life of someone with a higher consciousness demands a patient lifestyle with those around them, or so I believe, because the damaged may not understand where the wisdom is coming from at the time it is offered.

Mark D
02-08-2003, 04:36 PM
I really dont have an idea what he is waiting for, but that is a good idea about how he may be waiting for results.

About waiting for others. Maybe hes not trying to help others. Maybe he is trying to help himself because he gets something out of his patience. Maybe there is some kind of reward for his waiting. What is he waiting for? Maybe he is waiting for an answer. The experiments could generate an answer, a solution. That is why he puts up with them. Wow. Again I have confused the hell out of myself writing this. Post some replies people!

inane
02-09-2003, 12:06 AM
He is waiting for ascention. Read my post under the thread "Relating to the music industry?" Let's get some debate going here.

Nirvana
02-09-2003, 11:25 AM
well hes got to be waiting for something... thats in the song.
there can be a millions reasons... try to find the right one... i dont know it... i have my thoughts of course.. (like everyone).. but i really dont have a cleu about what or maybe who hes waiting for...

PEACE!!!

Mark D
02-09-2003, 05:03 PM
You have thoughts? Well post them. Even if they seem way off, they may get others started thinking in the right direction.

Nirvana
02-10-2003, 05:52 AM
well like i said before... maybe hes waiting for the results from his test... but maybe hes waiting for his mind to come back... because you said that he wanted to stay for something... something in his mind refuses to go away... or maybe its his body who doesnt cooperate...
hes been tested on something.. so maybe its some disease that hes body doesnt work as it supose to be... a mental or physical disease... maybe?

PEACE!!!

Tark
02-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I dont think that tool would make it as solid as that, there is not one reason, he waits for whatever you the listener is waiting for in your life

ignore-reality
02-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Cool post Mark D. Great in-depth thinking. The Patient (as well as Lateralus as a whole) as always struck me as really personal. I see Maynard expressing a need for healing. He's not quite at that point however. He is trying to be optomistic when he says "Gonna wait it out. Be patient." However there is also pessimism when he says, "I certainly would've walked away by now. And I still may..." It's diffucult to heal, it's painful. I think this song comes after The Grudge for a reason. He has let go of the past in The Grudge and wants to move forward. This song is a phase in the healing/growing process. I really see this as one Tool's most positive songs when all is said and done. The Patient as experiments on humans is certainly a cool analogy though. Later.....

Sora
02-16-2003, 05:45 PM
I like your though Mark D. I don't think it is expirementing in a lab or anything, though. Moreexperimentig with self, maybe.
Possibly persnal growth; like expanding ones mind. The process is proboably taking a while, but the person the song is referring to doesn't want to give up. Just guessing...

Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.

Sphase
03-02-2003, 11:11 AM
i think hes waiting for a loved one.
and he'll wait for however long she takes,
because he knows that he'll be healed
when she comes back. when your heart breaks
dont you want it to heal?wouldnt you
do anything to heal it? like waiting, enduring
pain, suffering beyond belief, and in time,
she comes back to you and the wait
would have paid off.

"is this a test
it has to be otherwise i cant go on"

someone left him, thus creating the reason to wait.
If someone you are in love with, left you,
you cant think of any reason why...then you
begin to think. Why? tell me this is just
a test, youre coming back, right? because
if not, i wont be able to go on. but i'll keep
faith.

thats how i see it.
...and thats how i felt ...

a metaphor for a broken heart

but dont mind me...i'll go back and hide in my corner.