PDA

View Full Version : will adam learn to play songs differently now?

rochey-o
04-23-2005, 04:36 PM
will the new album have any variation between one song and the other as far as guitar playing goes?

el rancho ovulate
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes.

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-23-2005, 06:29 PM
I know Danny has some new synths and drums he used on the new album. I'm sure Adam had a new trick or two.

The waiting is the worst.

They experiment; I can wait. (I think....it's the same as waiting for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince).

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-23-2005, 07:18 PM
You were kidding about the Harry Potter thing right?

Yes, I was kidding. I like HP, but I won't die if I don't have the book right away. I brought it as birthday present for my younger sister.

Naga Royal Guard
04-23-2005, 07:20 PM
so the next Tool album will be harry potter?

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-23-2005, 07:26 PM
so the next Tool album will be harry potter?

No, unless you view the "Nard as an older version of Daniel Radcliffe.

Andy DV
04-23-2005, 07:32 PM
id like to see you write better drop D riffs, dick.

rochey-o
04-23-2005, 07:39 PM
id like to see you write better drop D riffs, dick.

its not that hard this is what adam does:

*places finger on fret board and strums the 5th string, moves to the the seventh, back to the fifth, to the second, and repeats*

if youve ever played a tool song youd realize that by switching 2 notes you have a different tool song and then by switching two other notes you have another tool song

rochey-o
04-23-2005, 08:00 PM
*smashes believes face in with guitar and then continues the 5-7-5-2 pattern*

Sine Nobilitas
04-23-2005, 08:53 PM
its not that hard this is what adam does:

*places finger on fret board and strums the 5th string, moves to the the seventh, back to the fifth, to the second, and repeats*

if youve ever played a tool song youd realize that by switching 2 notes you have a different tool song and then by switching two other notes you have another tool song

Did it ever occur to you that guitar playing isn't just about complexity? The reason Adam is so good is his ability to complement the song and know exactly what is the right amount of guitar. Anyone who learns a 2 scales can jump around during a bridge and solo like mad, and I'm pretty sure if Adam wanted to do that he could. That wouldn't necassarily make the song any better though.

MasterOfKtulu109
04-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Did it ever occur to you that guitar playing isn't just about complexity? The reason Adam is so good is his ability to complement the song and know exactly what is the right amount of guitar. Anyone who learns a 2 scales can jump around during a bridge and solo like mad, and I'm pretty sure if Adam wanted to do that he could. That wouldn't necassarily make the song any better though.

exactly. just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean it makes it any better.

Some of the simplest movies in history are some of the best. Some of Jimi Hendrix's most memorable guitar riffs are simple enough, anyone can play them.

But it's the genius behind the writing that makes music great. Tool is great in the fact that they can create complex songs with simple bass and guitar, and their complexity doesn't sound forced, and their songs are not long just for the sake of being long (Dream Theater has this problem on some of their songs; they get too complex for their own good and they go on for too long).

Carny_Handles
04-24-2005, 12:29 AM
I agree in thoery. But listen to Schism and tell me it's simple.

just got through listening/playing along with it... its simple.

rochey-o
04-24-2005, 08:05 AM

i know that complexity doesnt make the song great. what im talking about is some variation between songs. seriously just look at say undertow.. most of the songs sound very close to eachother. now adam is great, i love his style of playing, but i was just figuring that maybe he could mix things up a bit.

what im saying is that if you look at the tabs for mostly any tool song its not very different from another tool song. just listen to the very end of the ssong undertow. its like the exact same riff from part of me. im not bashing adam for playing simplistic stuff, im just saying that i hope he can do something different

rochey-o
04-24-2005, 08:06 AM
You. Me. The Grudge. Now. (I don't post pump like you Eddie Van Noobfucker)

mmmkay...

el rancho ovulate
04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Schism is pretty easy to play on guitar..

ATARI
04-24-2005, 10:49 AM
if you listen to the background guitar parts of third eye (the ones that are really in the background, not the ones that stand out the most) you can hear Adam going mad on the guitar (like really fast scales) so I definatley think that he can do all that complex stuff, but he chooses not to, because it isn't necessary

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-24-2005, 12:36 PM
In comparison to what? Nirvana?

Please...you can't put Tool and Nirvana in the same sentence.

*I must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this
I must keep reminding myself of this*

Naga Royal Guard
04-24-2005, 12:47 PM
BeLIEve sure does have alot of toxix sand in his vagina....

diogenes
04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
i know that complexity doesnt make the song great. what im talking about is some variation between songs. seriously just look at say undertow.. most of the songs sound very close to eachother. now adam is great, i love his style of playing, but i was just figuring that maybe he could mix things up a bit.

what im saying is that if you look at the tabs for mostly any tool song its not very different from another tool song. just listen to the very end of the ssong undertow. its like the exact same riff from part of me. im not bashing adam for playing simplistic stuff, im just saying that i hope he can do something different
A: The riff at the end of undertow is nothing like the part of me riff. they have a complete different feel, not to mention timing. If you think using some of the same notes constitutes repetion, i think you may have a problem, because there are only twelve.

B: Another thing, I play all of their songs and I'm pretty sure NONE of them have that 5-7-5-2 progression. I think your point might be better with the 0-3-5-10-12, which is in a lot.

Could you name a band that is based on riffs and didn't have this degree of repetion? Because I have a hard time thinking of any.

KJM
04-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Sweep picking in schism?

ahha.

Andy DV
04-24-2005, 02:58 PM
A: The riff at the end of undertow is nothing like the part of me riff. they have a complete different feel, not to mention timing. If you think using some of the same notes constitutes repetion, i think you may have a problem, because there are only twelve.

B: Another thing, I play all of their songs and I'm pretty sure NONE of them have that 5-7-5-2 progression. I think your point might be better with the 0-3-5-10-12, which is in a lot.

Could you name a band that is based on riffs and didn't have this degree of repetion? Because I have a hard time thinking of any.

thank you.

plateralapus, lets just agree to agree that you don't know what you're talking about.

KJM
04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
There certainly are not only 12 tones that exist in sound.

rochey-o
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM

im talking about the very last part

B:I think your point might be better with the 0-3-5-10-12, which is in a lot.

yeah. i was just pulling things out of my ass their because i was looking at a tabs page and everything was 2's 5's and 7's

no. tool is the only band ive ever heard.

rochey-o
04-24-2005, 04:26 PM
BeLIEve sure does have alot of toxix sand in his vagina....

diogenes
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
im talking about the very last part

Undertow: 6-5-0-2-1-0-6-5-0-2-1 (11 beats)
Part of me: 0-6-5-0-3--0-6-5-0-3-3-3

Apart from both having an Ab followed by a G, and some open strings, what is the big similarity?

yeah. i was just pulling things out of my ass their because i was looking at a tabs page and everything was 2's 5's and 7's
Are you sure it was a Tool tab page? Because, to be honest, if you going to see a lot of one number, it would be 0, since Adam is lazy and likes open strings.

drunkenbaby
04-25-2005, 04:14 AM
I would say that most of Tools songs from lateralus are not simple. But that does not mean they are complex. I can only play Eon Blue into the beginning riff of Patient. I can go no further than that.

Altho the playing of Patient is reletively simple, I find that the time sig is more the complex bit. I am also a singer and I cannot keep time playing and singing simultaniously.

I agree with Sine Nobilitas, Adam doesn't play to show off or to showboat, he is a quart of the band and will play where he is needed. Where it makes sense to play.

I can see the POV of the original poster. I can also see a definite evolution in Tool thru the albums, the original post wasn't a matter of Adam being 'better'. I would like to see some improvement in all quarters (not saying that there is not enough already) but I would feel rather duped if the newy turns out to be a Lateralus II.

I don't think I have anything to worry about tho.

Isac Khrondor
04-25-2005, 07:53 AM
He has a trend, Opiate was just the same chords, kind of punk-ish, like Opiate or Hush.

Undertow was all redneck hilbilly riffs, using mainly frets 3 and 5 for every thing.

Aenima was when he really went to town on the phygrian (sp) stuff, just using say fret 2, 3 and 5, you know what I mean.

Lateralus is more of the same kind of thing he did in Aenima, but with a bit more simplicity.

In terms of musical ability, he is shit, in terms of writing really nice songs and having a really awsome tone, he is very good.

The next album, I pray will be very very different, but still with a little influence from previous albums.

rochey-o
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
He has a trend, Opiate was just the same chords, kind of punk-ish, like Opiate or Hush.

Undertow was all redneck hilbilly riffs, using mainly frets 3 and 5 for every thing.

Aenima was when he really went to town on the phygrian (sp) stuff, just using say fret 2, 3 and 5, you know what I mean.

Lateralus is more of the same kind of thing he did in Aenima, but with a bit more simplicity.

In terms of musical ability, he is shit, in terms of writing really nice songs and having a really awsome tone, he is very good.

The next album, I pray will be very very different, but still with a little influence from previous albums.

thats what i was trying to say but im not as smart with tehwords as isac

Kelly
04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=June_2001--Guitar_Player.html

http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=January_2002--Guitar_One.html

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
You seem to be the only one defending this idiots statement.

And from what I understand that doesn't help his cause much.

One more thing. Fuck you.

idiot? you are the one getting your panties wrapped around your neck w/ angst and frustration over this? are you molting or having retractions over there?

its bad enough your here; but if your personal genitalia problems continue to become your basis for arguing w/ other members then you may have to leave

Mr. Hat
04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I'd like to see some clapton-esque fingerstyle on the newy ...

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
You don't want my undivided attention son. I'm just expressing my opinion.

It's real easy to criticize another guitarist who is making a SOLID living playing on a major record label, while you on the other hand are a nobody (in the music world anyhow) posting on a board dedicated to said band.

Everyone's a critic.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=26334

there you go

rochey-o
04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
You don't want my undivided attention son. I'm just expressing my opinion.

It's real easy to criticize another guitarist who is making a SOLID living playing on a major record label, while you on the other hand are a nobody (in the music world anyhow) posting on a board dedicated to said band.

Everyone's a critic.

is that sheryl crow in your icon?

Mr. Hat
04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
schism was like the third song i learned how to play on guitar. you must really, really suck then, and it confuses me that you have a band if you can't even play schism.

For once I agree with the pud.

I picked up my first guitar about 6 months ago after playing bass for a couple of years. Schism was the first song I learnt, and I do believe it took somewhere in the realm of 11 seconds to master. (ok, so maybe that was an exaggeration but you get my point).

And .. uh .. sweep picking?

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
schism was like the third song i learned how to play on guitar. you must really, really suck then, and it confuses me that you have a band if you can't even play schism.

thanks for backing me up

Orph8998
04-25-2005, 05:39 PM
i dont think the people here want adam to be more complex...
i think they want him to be more creative, there is a difference between complex and creative...and yes i think have creative, emotional guitar riffs is certainly something that is needed in a band...

and just because he is signed does not mean he is good, if you are in a band you should know that...i mean, taking back sunday has a bigger lable thand dredg...and kurt combain is on T-shirt, infact im pissed off at the fact that i even know him by his name and not "the guitarist from nirvana"
fuck the world i hate everyone in it...

fuck it

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 05:42 PM
i dont think the people here want adam to be more complex...
i think they want him to be more creative, there is a difference between complex and creative...and yes i think have creative, emotional guitar riffs is certainly something that is needed in a band...

and just because he is signed does not mean he is good, if you are in a band you should know that...i mean, taking back sunday has a bigger lable thand dredg...and kurt combain is on T-shirt, infact im pissed off at the fact that i even know him by his name and not "the guitarist from nirvana"
fuck the world i hate everyone in it...

fuck it

i agree w/ you, its funny that BelIEVE is over there acting like an imflamed schoolgirl because " he sayd shut up teacher!!!! " WAAHAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

damn babies

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
How about some Brian Molko or The Edge like strumming style approaches?

Hey BeLIEve, can I call you 'son' 'cause I'm older than you.

And so talk down to you.

And make out I know more than you becuse of my greater age.

Can I?

Son?

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 06:42 PM
You guys are taking this too far. Here's the test, when you listen to the song, do you like the melody? Theres the answer or whether or not he can write songs. Again complexity has nothing to do with it.
Also it is rather difficult to have overly intricate guitat when there is only one guitar in the band. Adam has to play rhythm guitar and lead guitar. You have to sacrifice a lot of bells and whistles in order to pull that off well.
Stop putting a microscope over the guitar. Each song was written with all of the other instruments, so they all meld together to form one sound.
If you really want you can disect each song and display what each person is playing, but that does not capture the creative process at all. Nothing in the music was created by itself, save maybe the lyrics.
Adam does what sounds best for the song, and if he didn't i doubt many people would even know who he was. So you see, by being less complex, he is actually better. By making a song instead of a guitar exhibition he has gotten everyone's attention.
Btw, technical guita skill is like a 1/100th of good guitar playing. What would you rather listen to, someone with a lot of technical skill, but not soul; or someone with no little technical skill and miles and mile of soul?

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
How about some Brian Molko or The Edge like strumming style approaches?

Hey BeLIEve, can I call you 'son' 'cause I'm older than you.

And so talk down to you.

And make out I know more than you becuse of my greater age.

Can I?

Son?

ownage

down with that bastard BeLIEVE!!

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 06:59 PM
I can't believe I was sticking up for you, Narda.

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I can't believe I was sticking up for you, Narda.

plateralapus too ;)

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 07:06 PM
This is just a circle of love!

Don't be touching my tube steak though,Pud!

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:07 PM
wow, the love is overpowering!

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Watch out for PUd though.

He loves to smoke Malboro Pinks.

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Watch out for PUd though.

He loves to smoke Malboro Pinks.

he likes smoking flag poles too lol

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
No....that's your mom silly.

asshole, you got chopped up along w/ your sad attempt to defend Adam's Dick

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
BeLieVE, go here www.justinchancellor.com

go there and stay there you age-lying sack of cum

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Aw, I defended Adam's dick too, don't I get to fight?

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
that's quite the website you got there...

thanks Pud, i cant take credit for it tho :( even tho its the stroke of brilliance this world has been waiting for

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Age-lying.....yeah I picked twenty-seven cuz.....1977 seemed like an interesting birth year.

Kill yourself. Just do it. Everyone beat you up in school growing up cuz you were different. Nobody likes you. Go get your dads gun....yeah you know where it is....it'll all be over soon.....take a pill or a drink if it'll help calm your nerves....now put the barrel in your mouth.......it's all over now....TDN is safe again for intelligent posters.

your under house arrest for attempting to break into a pets mart to bang clipped pigeons; instead your coming online to argue w/ sensible individuals about their opinion on a particular guitarist named adam - but im glad to keep you somewhat occupied to keep the children w/in a 100 mile radius of you safe from your presence

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Thank you both for an intelligent and enlightening argument. Please continue to agree to disagree.

And Believe...that's a nice picture of Ms. Amos.

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Thank you both for an intelligent and enlightening argument. Please continue to agree to disagree.

And Believe...that's a nice picture of Ms. Amos.

your very welcome; now choose sides or get out

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
your very welcome; now choose sides or get out

I like sitting on the fence at the moment. I can't play drums, so I have no opinion.*Leaves argument*

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't try acting intelligent after turning this into a flame was fucker. Nobody's gonna buy that.

My opinion is that you die. As I've stated before you're not helping platerfags side at all here. People think your an asshole. I've read the posts. You can't change the facts.

platerfag? "flame was" ?

you came here to start this bullshit didnt you? you must be Ronch

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 08:02 PM
...Sensible individuals,excuse me didn't you just say something about having sex with pigeons? You both sound like my younger siblings when they argue over who gets to drink out of the blue cup....
BUTTSNIFFERS!

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 08:03 PM
...Sensible individuals,excuse me didn't you just say something about having sex with pigeons? You both sound like my younger siblings when they argue over who gets to drink out of the blue cup....
BUTTSNIFFERS!

i agree, i am finished w/ those flaming jackasses

Cynical/Sarcastic
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
no, this is Cynical/Sarcastic, not Mr. Hat.

and i think Sine Nobilitas was talking about you, naga. moron.

I didn't start the flame wars....I just thanked Believe and Naga for the argument.

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I've been playing guitar for quite a long time, my band knows better than to even try to cover a Tool song. It's just too damn complex.

Schism is set with two seperate sets of double hammer-ons followed by sweep picking pattern.....not to mention the hi-hat rolls on the same rhythm.

I know a few people that can play Schism on guitar. Doesn't make it simple.

this proves the following:

1. your not 27
2. your not 28 either
3. your not in detroit

in addition:

4. others here can play schism quite easily - you fabricated these details about its complexity simply to use as fodder to argue w/ another member
5. ^

your gonna have to rape the buss boy in the bathroom as usual RONCH

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
oooook, now that thats over.......
Yes it is over.
No let it go

no, shhhhhhh, calm down

Adam's guitar playing style is basic, every guitarist has their style, if they don't theyre not creative. His style will be the same, how he interprets the mood and ideas of the other band member's music wil dictate how he plays the new album.

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
You are such a moron. How about you go to my profile. Click on my homepage. Check out my band. FROM THE METRO DETROIT AREA. And check out the photos of all the grown ups that are gonna gang-rape during your visit to the motor-city.

www.geocities.com/differentialtheband

Who the fuck is Ronch?

why go in your profile when i can just use the link you so kindly posted?

someone in your band looks like Boy George, must be you :p

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
This is getting really nasty . . .

Fight fight!

BTW. Naga is a real dick. Period.

BeLIEve. You appear to be very aggressive with anger issues. Chill out, its only TDN.

Fight fight fight!!!!

Yeeeeehahaaaaaaah!

Naga Royal Guard
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
BeLIEve is ok, for the most part; im a Dick, Real Dick that is. ;)

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
hmm what are the official vegas odds on this one?

munted_soul
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Stop being such sissy bitches and agree adam isn't the best guitar player ever.

Mediocre at best.

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
mediocre but it works

Sine Nobilitas
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Mediocre at best.

My only point is, he is good at what he does. What he does being Tool music. If you stuck him in another band, he wouldn't fit, likewise if you stuck another guitarist in Tool their quality of music would sharply decrease.

diogenes
04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
You are such a moron. How about you go to my profile. Click on my homepage. Check out my band. FROM THE METRO DETROIT AREA. And check out the photos of all the grown ups that are gonna gang-rape you during your visit to the motor-city.
Well, if you are anywhere above twenty, I hope this is all a big joke, because you sound absolutely retarded.

Also: Naga, you're annoying.

MasterOfKtulu109
04-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Go write a good Tool song. Then you will appreciate how good the guitar work is. Anyone can play almost any song they want to after practice, but the genius of any musician comes in the ability to write the songs.

Jimi Hendrix wrote some of the greatest songs of all time, and many of them can be played by any amateur guitarist. That doesn't make Hendrix any worse.

Nathan6887
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM

Wierd comment.
I want to Know if he plays Solo and if he does what this sounds like.

Nathan6887
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
He isn't exactly Frank Zappa or some freak. But the sounds he makes fit in real well And Tool's guitar is just as awesome (for me ) as any other part of it.

Orph8998
04-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Mediocre at best.

yeah, i agree with you
he may fit tool well, but i think he has room to improve...
and whoever said "he has to cover lead and rythm, and that is hard, blah blah blah..." should remember, dredg has one guitar....the mars volta has one guitar(and wow)....incubus has one guitar, rage against the machine has one guitar....emerson, lake, and palmer has three people in the band...
but then again, the 90's were a time where his style was more loved because they were just getting over the horrible hair band days...so maybe now that guitaring has changed, so will he...

AHHHHH! i want the new album to come out

Carny_Handles
04-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Go write a good Tool song. Then you will appreciate how good the guitar work is. Anyone can play almost any song they want to after practice, but the genius of any musician comes in the ability to write the songs.

agreed.. finally there's a real musicians point of view. I can play along to any song handed to me, from tool, to cradle of filth, to jimi hendrix, dream theater, i can even play along to joe satrani (the ones i felt like playing) with that said though, i cant write anything that im remotely happy with... let alone something like tool. I have the ability, just not the creative outlet i suppose...

Nothing is hard to play, coming up with music is the hard part.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
i'm sure this has been said, but i'm tired and quite frankly don't feel like reading 3 pages worth of posts.

i fail to see why people continue to define guitarists, or musicians in general, by their skills on the guitar (knowledge of scales, techniques, etc.) rather than the actual music. you enjoy the music because you like the way it SOUNDS. as long as it SOUNDS good, that is all that matters. if a musician can come up with a song that is good sounding, he/she is a good musician.

Nathan6887
04-27-2005, 09:26 PM
i'm sure this has been said, but i'm tired and quite frankly don't feel like reading 3 pages worth of posts.

i fail to see why people continue to define guitarists, or musicians in general, by their skills on the guitar (knowledge of scales, techniques, etc.) rather than the actual music. you enjoy the music because you like the way it SOUNDS. as long as it SOUNDS good, that is all that matters. if a musician can come up with a song that is good sounding, he/she is a good musician.

Fully. I think thats pretty much what I tried to say.

AK47
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Nooooo.....I said I find it difficult/complex/challangeing to play Schism.

To synch it up with my drummer was damn near impossible.

That's awful, Schism is pretty simple on guitar.....

Isac Khrondor
04-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Nooooo.....I said I find it difficult/complex/challangeing to play Schism.

To synch it up with my drummer was damn near impossible.

Sorry but, im 16 years old, and my drummer friend is 15, we can play schism together perfectly, it's a peice of piss for the both of us to keep in time and sync it all up.
You should be ashamed of yourself, Tool is easy to cover, just challenging on the drums some of the time.

holy reality
04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
never mind.

i hope he gets more experimental, psychedelic, and "creative" .... like schisms main riff is pretty creative, but something even quirkier.

TheNothingSong
04-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Im glad some muso's have got in here and sorted some shit out.

Opiate and Undertow have similar guitar work, and also Anima and Lateralus have some similarities. So its a natural progression. Just because the music uses the same keys sometimes doesnt mean that each song is the same. I think Adam is a pretty amazing guitarist, sure he doesnt shred, but does anyone actually enjoy that?

to the closet guitar nerds, how easy did you find the outro riff to Schism?

(props to the mode-man)

Isac Khrondor
04-29-2005, 09:16 AM
to the closet guitar nerds, how easy did you find the outro riff to Schism?

It's the hardest bit in the song, but it's still really easy to play, did you struggle with it?

Orph8998
04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
to all of you who are guilty, STOP SAYING THAT "JUST BECAUSE HE IS NOT COMPLEX DOES NOT MEAN HE ISN'T GOOD..." we know, we are not saying he should be clomplex
as holy said, more experimental and "creative"...

TheNothingSong
04-30-2005, 10:22 PM
It's the hardest bit in the song, but it's still really easy to play, did you struggle with it?

not really, i learnt the song by ear so i was playing it a pretty simple ( and wrong ) way. something up on the 10th/12th fret but then i had a look at the tabs and sorted it out. whats the hardest tool you have came across. someone was saying a while back in a different thread about the plucking to H. being complicated but i havnt tried to play it..

I think adam and justin write the riffs together and that adam will write some of the bass, sometimes. the way they have combined the bass and guitar (like in forty-six & two) is something i havnt seen in any other music. all of the riffs are pleasing to listen to and play. metal riffs often are not.

Intolerance
05-01-2005, 01:47 AM
I'd like to see some clapton-esque fingerstyle on the newy ...

I'd like to keep Eric Clapton as far the fuck away from Tool as possible, please. Let APC play around with that shit, and let Tool be Tool.

SiGuy
05-01-2005, 01:50 AM
I'd like to keep Eric Clapton as far the fuck away from Tool as possible, please.
last time i heard adam didnt give a shit what you think asshole.

Isac Khrondor
05-01-2005, 03:23 AM
whats the hardest tool you have came across. someone was saying a while back in a different thread about the plucking to H. being complicated but i havnt tried to play it..

The hardest songs (which are not actually that hard) I find are Undertow, Pushit and Third Eye.

The picking to H. is not in any way hard at all, seriously, the hardest Tool songs are on Undertow, because Nu-Metal wasn't invented yet so he had no choice but to put a bit of skill into his songs.

Intolerance
05-01-2005, 04:36 AM
last time i heard adam didnt give a shit what you think asshole.

Last time I heard, you were mumbling thank you's while licking out my asshole, dickface.

DeRais
05-01-2005, 07:19 PM
The hardest things about the songs are the way the istruments interloop and mesh and do it all with really fucked up weird timing....

btw, do any of you notice how Adam plays ahead of the beat....feels really akward

shorabali
05-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Everyone has their own style of playing, so when it comes to certain riffs they may not be able to adapt to it since they play differently.

saut
05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Sweep picking in Schism?

I don't even play guitar and I know better than that.

el rancho ovulate
05-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Ashamed of myself? Because I find a guitar part challenging? In a off-time signature?

Man come on up on stage....you play the riff, I'll sing. You make it through 3 minutes without fucking it up live.....I'll suck plateralipussy's cock.

How is it an "off-time" signature?

Isac Khrondor
05-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Ashamed of myself? Because I find a guitar part challenging? In a off-time signature?

Man come on up on stage....you play the riff, I'll sing. You make it through 3 minutes without fucking it up live.....I'll suck plateralipussy's cock.

If I could, I would, and I have allready coverd Schism in a few concerts, and am about to cover it again at a leaving-school rock concert.
Unless your a begginer or have some kind of problem with playing stuff that isn't 4/4, I think you need to practice a lot more.

Isac Khrondor
05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
You should have said that you were singing at the same time, it's hard to sing the parts that arn't in the verses I think..

13 years???

Ok, it must just be not your 'wheelhouse' because most people who have been playing for 13 years are pretty good.

MentalSanityOff
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
There certainly are not only 12 tones that exist in sound.
Hertz = 8.1758 * 2^(x/18)
whats that? a new musical system based on 18 notes to the octave? your welcome.
now if i could just get a way for something to make these frequencies, itd be really bitchin

Bill_Hix
05-14-2005, 08:27 PM
A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# Those are all of the different musical notes. You could say a note was B# but it doesn't change it from being a C. And flats are equal to the note below it sharped. (A-flat = G#) There are octaves to change pitch, but other than that, 12 notes man.

el rancho ovulate
05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G# Those are all of the different musical notes. You could say a note was B# but it doesn't change it from being a C. And flats are equal to the note below it sharped. (A-flat = G#) There are octaves to change pitch, but other than that, 12 notes man.
ever heard of microtones?

Isac Khrondor
05-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah sorry man, you should have told me you were singing at the same time, I can't do that on many songs, hardly any Tool songs.

Tree
05-16-2005, 07:14 PM
If I could, I would, and I have allready coverd Schism in a few concerts, and am about to cover it again at a leaving-school rock concert.
Unless your a begginer or have some kind of problem with playing stuff that isn't 4/4, I think you need to practice a lot more.

A bunch of 12 year old girls sitting around watching you play your Squire guitar isn't a "concert." I might be going out on a limb here, but you probably can't play guitar worth a fucking shit. Either way, you can't WRITE the same kinds of songs Adam can, so please, for the love of Christ, stop writing these messages trying to make yourself sound so fucking cool.

Tree

Tree
05-16-2005, 07:28 PM

Jimi Hendrix wrote some of the greatest songs of all time, and many of them can be played by any amateur guitarist. That doesn't make Hendrix any worse.

That's exactly my point. It's VERY easy for 15 and 16 year old fans of the band who, after buying the album, go look for the tabs on the internet and learn how to play them (and by "playing" the songs, I mean hitting the notes in succession, not in any way sounding like the real thing). It's a completely different story for one of these clowns to actually write a song as good as Adam does. And to my knowledge, no one in here has. That's why we're all relegated to talking about Adam's guitar playing while he's in the studio recording another great album.

Tree

UtUmNo1
05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Who the fuck are you?

Tree
05-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Who the fuck are you?

A person who's been visiting TDN for 10 years and laughs at people who think they're as good as Adam..that's fucking who.

Tree

Johnny Truant
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
That makes you a better person that the rest of us.

UtUmNo1
05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
10 years?

1995?

Get the fuck out.

Dianoetic
04-24-2008, 04:11 AM
NO TREE, NO SHADE

5th Eye
04-24-2008, 05:35 AM
I guess we learned the answer to this question.

and 74.51% percent of us were wrong

Kody27
04-24-2008, 05:45 AM
I guess we learned the answer to this question.

and 74.51% percent of us were wrong

It's really a matter of opinion unless you have Adam himself show you the differences, as subtle as they may be, why fix something that isn't broken?

#Notion
05-03-2008, 06:57 PM
people will never learn that technicality != your perpspective being altered by a stringed instrument, which is the purpose that dictates adam's choice of notes

blindfold_off
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Hell yeah he's gonna come up withm some new shit. I thought the stuff on 10,000 Days was awesome and different from Lateralus(which now a days I can hear some of the cool shit he's doing on that). I can't wait for 2011.

Carny_Handles
05-17-2008, 04:49 PM
werd