PDA

View Full Version : 'Grows on you...

Navid
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Something I noticed about The Patient. During my first few listenings to Lateralus, I didn't appreciate this song quite as much as some others on the album. Oh, I enjoyed it alright - but it didn't rank in my favourite tracks on the album. However, over time, it REALLY grew on me - so much so that I would consider it one of my favourite Tool songs - regardless of album.
It's a change in opinion (well - a development more than an outright change, I guess) that I hadn't expected. I'm wondering how you guys regarded the songs on Lateralus - the Patient in particular - when you heard the album for the first few times.

tooljones
04-22-2005, 07:03 PM
lateralus is my favorite song, and at first, i thought it was lame, because the only thing i even "caught" out of all of that hypnotic mess was the verses. i also had a hard time liking ticks and leeches because the drum timing was, to me (someone used to zeppelin and queen type simple beats), very difficult. the grudge and reflection instantly appealed to me, and the parts i couldn't grasp (such as the "defining, controlling, controlling, defining" part, which has some weird timing) grew on me later. schism, disposition, and parabol(a) were pretty instantaneous as well. and triad...it's one of my favorites as well, but for some reason, i completely ignored it at first. funny how the songs i used to roll my eyes at (after maybe the first listen) ended up as my favorite songs, ever. i guess lateralus can evolve your taste in music.

the patient, on the other hand, is STILL growing on me, but i like it more and more. it's adam's shining song in TooL, as he dominates the whole thing with great riffs. it's probably the hardest song to digest on the album.

basically, i know what you mean about the patient.

downward_spiral
04-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Something I noticed about The Patient. During my first few listenings to Lateralus, I didn't appreciate this song quite as much as some others on the album. Oh, I enjoyed it alright - but it didn't rank in my favourite tracks on the album. However, over time, it REALLY grew on me - so much so that I would consider it one of my favourite Tool songs - regardless of album.
It's a change in opinion (well - a development more than an outright change, I guess) that I hadn't expected. I'm wondering how you guys regarded the songs on Lateralus - the Patient in particular - when you heard the album for the first few times.
wohoo. Another paddy!!

Raev'n
04-23-2005, 04:59 PM
The Patient would have to be one of my all time favourites. The bass playing is amazing and the singings really really cool :). Although just like you guys it did take a while to grow on me. So did Disposition for that matter...

davelisowski
04-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Definitely grows on you. At first, I just thought of it as any other song on the album, but now it is by far my favorite song on the album. Like you said, it might even be my favorite Tool song. The bass playing on this song goes above and beyond what is expected. The drums - spectacular. You may not think so at first, but listen to it loud and with headphones. There are so many little intricacies especially at the beginning that really make the song something else. And I've said it before, the drumming after the silent part (5:11 when Danny starts playing the ride) is just phenomenal . The bass and the bass drum just drone on together while the ride cymbal ties it all together. Then the dual lyric tracks, and the bass during the part... greatest part. Fabulous. I'm addicted.

Navid
04-28-2005, 09:09 AM
wohoo. Another paddy!!

Hehe. Cause for celebration indeed!
Nice to know that you guys digested the song in the same way. I've a funny feeling these forums are gonna become a regular haunt of mine...

Oh, and by the way:
"I was staring at the face of god,
but god wasn't staring back."

Great quote - but where from?

haich
06-17-2005, 02:01 AM
And I've said it before, the drumming after the silent part (5:11 when Danny starts playing the ride) is just phenomenal . The bass and the bass drum just drone on together while the ride cymbal ties it all together. Then the dual lyric tracks, and the bass during the part... greatest part. Fabulous. I'm addicted.

OOOH! amazing section! best ride beat ever!