PDA

View Full Version : Stirs up Emotion (Fear)

JeffGirard
04-18-2005, 08:12 AM
I still don't listen to this song very much... I can't. I grew up being terrorized by stories from the X-Files, only to later realize that my own imagination had filled in the holes and made it all much scarier than the show actually was.

This song gives me the same feeling that the first homeless-man scene from 'Mulholland Drive' (movie, go see it) gives me. It's anxiety, disbelief, indignation, a desperate search for an escape, and the paranoid "something's behind me" instinctual terror - all wrapped up in one feeling, with the cherry of "this is ridiculous" on top. I believe that on a basic level, this song was meant to scare its listeners (among other things). Maynard says to listen and /feel/ a song first, before looking for lyrics or interpretations online. When I first "felt" this song, I "felt" like I wanted to piss myself. But maybe I just get too into music. I would never want to listen to this song on any kind of drugs.

Despite it scaring me away most of the time, I respect and enjoy this song as much as I enjoy that scene from Mulholland Drive, for the same reasons. I spend so much of my life dead to emotion, repressing emotional colors until the world is a drab, but safe, black and white. Art like this that can force emotion upon you is priceless in that it forces you to live in the whole world again. Fear (like all facets of emotion) is very important to experience on a regular basis, it makes you feel alive. I think the band realizes this and made it a concern in their design to make it as spooky as possible, although I don't doubt this song goes /much/ deeper in a lyrical interpretation... I'm just not there yet.

Navid
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
On a more superficial level, I think it's also a tipping of the hat to the irony of the initial incident when the delusional (or not - depending on what you want to believe) man called into whatever radio-show it was. During the broadcast, the main satellite for broadcasting the show stopped functioning. Beautiful timing. Guess they triangulated on the position faster than our former Area51 pal thought... ;)

digitaldragon03
04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
This song scares the crap out of me too. Everytime i go to sleep with Lateralus playing in my cd player, i wake up in the middle of the night with the buzzing sound from the song freaking me out. It triggers a primal fear in me, that has me in "a desperate search for an escape". That is truley how it makes me feel. Its the only way to describe it.

BatterY316
05-03-2005, 01:48 PM
This song scares the crap out of me too. Everytime i go to sleep with Lateralus playing in my cd player, i wake up in the middle of the night with the buzzing sound from the song freaking me out. It triggers a primal fear in me, that has me in "a desperate search for an escape". That is truley how it makes me feel. Its the only way to describe it.

just program your cd player to only play tracks 1-12.

haich
06-17-2005, 02:02 AM
this song is piss scary

Twelve
06-29-2005, 07:43 AM
that song "Fitter Happier" by Radiohead does it to me really bad.

Odibilėph
07-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Climbing Up the Walls.

And, yes, the first time I heard Faaip de Oiad I was quite scared.

SmallWangedMan
07-06-2005, 09:05 AM
I gotta say, it fucking creeped me out too.

Divine_left
07-06-2005, 10:07 AM
This song doesn't freak me out as much as Cesaro Summability. I refuse to listen to that track.

Kelly
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I actually enjoy Cesaro, I am glad to see that other people had the same feeling about this track, even though I know it is a hoax, the voice and the distortion bugs me out, I understand why Tool put this on the cd, yet I never listen to it.

Odibilėph
07-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Ahhh, Cesaro... screaming babies can be unsettling.

Kelly
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I love Cesaro

5th Eye
07-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Cesaro is creepier than Faaip. But Faaip is damn scary. Especially when you're laying in bed awake, and it's almost pitch-black, and the rest of the CD already flew by.

Actually, the first time I listened to Lateralus (one of the first "good" CDs I ever owned) I was freaked out by it most of the time (except Parabola; I'd heard it several times before on the radio). The fillers creeped me out too. Especially Mantra.

Wave.Existance.Tears
07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah, Cesaro, Faaip, and the Radiohead songs you named are all creepy pieces...Its better to be creeped out than to sit there bored and emotionless though

Radio sucks here and the only Tool song I've ever heard on it was Schism *gasp* Honestly, didn't every station play that when the album went to #1!?
Parabola (heard of Lateralus on it too) on the radio? They shorten it most of the time, right?

5th Eye
07-09-2005, 07:27 AM
They play Tool on the radio rarely here, but I've heard every radio-released song. Except Lateralus, but my friend says he did. But it probably sucks since it was cut.

Odibilėph
07-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Lateralus was the first Tool song I heard on the radio.
I hear Stinkfist a lot.

Nyne
07-26-2005, 01:43 AM
It scared my "girl-friend" when I told her about it. She hasn't actually heard it yet, I just described it to her and the whole scenario. I'm bringing lateralus to her house this saturday though. We're just gunna chill on her bed and listen to it all the way through, so... who knows what her reaction will be.

ufopancakes
07-28-2005, 03:04 AM
I remember one time I was listening to Aenima while trippin Mushrooms. My roomate and my friend were both in the room. Cesaro came on a few minutes after I drew a wierd looking face on a pad of paper with different colors. I picked up the drawing and starting looking at it. All the colors were different, but consistant. The lines on the paper were waving and flashing different colors. I said "What the fuck?" Right after the baby starts crying in the song. My roomate asked "What, the baby crying?" My friend then says "Nah dude, thats like the most normal thing to him right now."

haha

Fiaap de oiad is the kind of song that only needs to be listened to once.

I would never want to listen to this song on any kind of drugs.

Could you imagine making someone listen to this for the first time with a head full of acid? Trust me when I say, IT BLOWS THEIR FUCKING MIND.

lateralus freak
07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
dammit!
i wish i lived in america so much!!
then i could hear tool songs on the radio!
people on the radio here havent even heard of tool, can you beleive it?!
ive never heard faaip before but im sure its as scary as you guys say it is, and i wouldn't be able to listen to it in bed anyway because i sleep in the same room as my brother and he's a bitch.

Intertwined
07-30-2005, 07:03 PM
I live in America and I have never once heard a Tool song on the radio. Too much crap on the radio for people to understand Tool.

I first heard this song in my friend's car so my experience at first was a little denied, although I changed the track because it did freak me out. That.. "Extra dimensional" beings part.. yeah.

triad636
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Ahhh, Cesaro... screaming babies can be unsettling.
heh when i first heard it i had my cd player up pretty loud ans it startled me .. and as far as faaip de oiad goes i was listening to lateralus the day it was released and it was like 10 pm or something and when triad was done i didnt feel like getting up and switching next because as you all know the gap betweek triad and faaip is quite long.. and when it came on it freaked me out .... i still listen to it at night like when i have a friend over just to creep em out ;)

TenSpeed
08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Does anyone else's CD player not let them jump around by fast forwarding/rewinding on Faaip? It's the only song off Lateralus it won't let me do that to.