PDA

View Full Version : "love Is The Law, Love Under Will"

3rd eye
02-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Any thoughts..........I mean, was this line intended to be interpreted on different levels or does it imply something universal and gospel? Would greatly appreciate your ideas/beliefs on this line. I know Aleister Crowley was often advocating it. I believe I understand what it means, but I'm seeking a more specific definition....
I read on some site this line was infact "the words of evil", but I know that isn't true, as this was probably a result of Aleister Crowley being labelled evil by the masses..........interesting.
Also, are there any books of Aleister Crowleys that anyone here would suggest me read for an insight into his philosophical endeavers?? I've read the book of thoth and eventhough there's isn't much "philosophy" in it (except for the whole thing I guess) the random theories were of extreme interest.

Limo
02-08-2003, 07:19 PM
"Love is the law love under will"

Look up the OTO.

I can tell you that this is a response to another statement.

The whole idea (if I can presume to analyze it) is that every person should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesnt intefere with what someone else is doing.

wal eht fo elohw eht eb llahs tliw uoht tahw od

Hanok93
02-13-2003, 12:18 AM

look up crowley's magnum opus liber aba (4) (also called magick)
or liber al (220) wich is the book of the law.

you may contact the ordo templi orientis : www.otohq.org
wich is the first old aeon order which took to themselves the law of light,life love and liberty.

or if your serious you may become a student of the A.'.A:'.
but i suggest that you at least get a good deal of books by crowley and what he recomend reading.

the idea is that everyone is a "god" or a "star" and like stars have their own direction, or meaning. Do what thou whilt wich is the law, does emply that you find your reason in life, or meaning in life.. to find your will is to find yourself :)

and yeah i almost forgot, look up the message of the master therion (also called liber II) and the law of liberty (liber 837)
both libris and many more can be found at www.hermetic.com
under the Crowley section, also look up the homepages of sabazius (which is a bishop in the e.g.c.) and bill heidrick.

good luck brother :)

93 93/93

George Bush Sr.
02-13-2003, 09:34 AM
quote from eight lectures on yoga pg. 17:
"This is that which is written in The Book of the Law - Love is the law, love under will - for Love is the instinct to unite, and the act of uniting. But this cannot be done indiscriminately, it must be done "under will," that is, in accordance with the nature of the particular units concerned. Hydrogen has no love for Hydrogen; it is not the nature, or "true Will," of Hydrogen to seek to unite with a molecule of it's own kind. Add Hydrogen to Hydrogen: nothing happens to it's quality: it is only it's quantity that changes. It rather seeks to enlarge it's experience of its possibilities by union with atoms of opposite character, such as Oxygen; with this it combines (with an explosion of light, heat, and sound) to form water. The result is entirely different from either of the component elements, and has another kind of "true Will," such as to unite (with similar disengagement of light and heat) with Potassium, while the reulsting "caustic Potash" has in it's turn a totally new series of qualities, with still another "true Will" of it's own; that is, to unite explosively with acids. And so on."

he also says that christianity's law would be something like this "fear is the law, fear under will"

Dissonance
03-13-2003, 12:15 PM
I would caution people not to get to caught up in Aleister Crowley's teachings. They are interesting, but not at all accurate. Crowley liked to mix and match, and as such his system is a combination of other systems. He "wisdom" came from either one of two sources: drugs or demons. At best he was just a drug-addled mystic with a penchant for numerology. At worst he was a mouthpiece for sinister forces. I have studied much of his work, and much of the systems he "borrows" from. I'm sure I'll be dismissed as a hater or whatever, but if he truly did use magic to converse with entities, why would you trust the words of a demon?

Dissonance
03-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Also Crowley's interpretations of christianity are ignorant at best. He simply didnt understand what the Bible is about, so again, dont trust him as any sort of authority there. Christian law is "Love the Lord your God with everything you are, Love your neighbor as yourself." Nothing to do with fear.

George Bush Sr.
03-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Wasn't it your will to post on this thread?

What do you think of the Golden Dawn?

The Catholic church uses fear to control a lot of people and the Bible probably contains more contradictions than all of crowley's works combined. Crowley sacrificed a goat in a Hindu temple much like people sacrificed animals to god in the old testament.

Limo
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Dissonance
Also Crowley's interpretations of christianity are ignorant at best. He simply didnt understand what the Bible is about, so again, dont trust him as any sort of authority there. Christian law is "Love the Lord your God with everything you are, Love your neighbor as yourself." Nothing to do with fear.

Christianity's interpretations of christianity are ignorant at best. All christian denominations squabble amongst themselves and cant agree on anything.

And the bible contradicts itself at every turn, sure its a great story, (if you watch the movie and not read the book...yawn) but I think i'll stick to Crowley and leave Jesus to the bible bashers.

th3rdeye
03-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Anyone who believes in any organized religion is ignorant at best. I don't feel like explaining it now, I'll do it tomorrow if so requested

"I was a Christian until I reached the age of Reason." Carl Sagan

Dissonance
03-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Wow, some of you made some pretty hefty claims.

george bush sr, the Bible has more contradictions than Crowley's works? Hahahahaha... wow. Comedy gold. Anyways, if you really think that prove it. People have been trying to discredit the Bible for over 1000 years. Ain't gonna happen.

And anyways, whatever your opinions are on Christianity, the fact is that Crowley simply wasn't a very reliable source of religious enlightenment. He just mixed and matched stuff he liked from several systems.

And while you all feel compelled to make huge claims about Christianity when you probably couldn't find your way around a Bible, I've studied Mr. Crowleys works, thoroughly. I've studied Kabbalah, and Enochian magick, and many other systems. I'm not some neophyte here. And all i'm saying is that Crowley may have been interesting, but his "teachings" are incoherent ramblings that try to seem deep. Its typical cultist ranting: "Here is my message. If you cant understand it, its because its too deep for you."

Crowley followed a modified version of paganism that more than anything culminated in drunken orgies. Face it, Crowley was a simple hedonist, not a deep thinker. Crowley taught self-indulgence and he brought nothing new to the table. He is irrelevant when it comes to true mystical understanding.

George Bush Sr.
03-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Wow, that's nice.

George Bush Sr.
03-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dissonance
People have been trying to discredit the Bible for over 1000 years. Ain't gonna happen.

That's some comedy gold right there. Polished.