PDA

View Full Version : crying baby

fear + loathing
11-20-2002, 04:04 PM
I put this song as my least favorite, even though i like songs with little voices in the background you can hardly hear. The only reason I don't like it is the crying baby at the begining. If im lying in bed listening to Aenima and this song comes up i will forward to after the crying. But when im to tired to get up and change it i'll listen to it. I cringe at the baby crying but after that its quite soothing.

DeleteYourself
11-21-2002, 03:04 AM
i totally agree with you....that crying baby freaks me out so much. sometimes i have my disc changer on random and it comes on and i gotta run over and change it...

it just makes u think....whos baby it is...and why is it crying...

mike tyson
11-21-2002, 02:40 PM
The crying doesn't freak me out as much as Dier Eir Von Satan ( sp? not too great of a German speller ). Something about the guys voice and the beginning sounds on the track, just freaks me out.. but as far as the rest of the song after the baby, some of the parts remind me of the beginning of Prison Sex. I don't mean the part in Prison Sex where Adam does that thing with his guitar that sounds like a creaking door or such, but the windup after the creaking sounds and right before the first few notes. I'm talking about the windup and then the climactic descent of the notes, thats how it is to me. Nice ' segue ' though, just something crazy, yet 'cool' to put in between the ' real ' songs.

bigmike
11-22-2002, 08:38 AM
I agree about the crying. I first heard this "song" at around midnight while laying in my bed in the dark. And frankly, it freaked the hell out of me. I now skip past it, unless I want to freak other people out.

noisetherapy
11-23-2002, 01:19 AM
The crying baby is supposedly Maynards son Devo. Don't quote me on it, it could be something we're supposed to take with 'salt'

ragna16
11-23-2002, 09:43 AM
The weird thing is that the crying baby, turns into a very mechanical, motor like sound. A symbol perhaps? Most likely, from helpless baby to machine, designed to do one thing well.

In between the change I can only hear the words 'help' and 'tapdancing'

mike tyson
11-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Not sure, but I think the FAQ on this page says who the crying baby is or where it came from. I'm pretty sure its not Devo.

Necronomicon
11-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Whatever the baby is, or why it's crying...

I don't like it. This is not my favorite song.

crackhoarmojo
11-26-2002, 01:03 PM
I've never acctually managed to listen to more than 15 seconds of that song.. That baby crying really just disturbs me, I don't know why, but when it starts crying I just get this image of it being tortured in someway (perhaps related to Prsion Sex's child abuse theme) from the way its crying, it's got that deep fear and pain thing going on.... I usually keep my finger in the skip button towards the end of Pushit so I don't catch it at all.
Am I alone in that torture thing?

ragna16
11-26-2002, 02:07 PM
The baby doesn't really get to me, but I don't like the track anyway. I know alot of people that hate it though.

star
11-27-2002, 05:21 AM
i think thatcesaro summability is the perfect song to follow pushit! because i believe that pushit is about a foetus's thoughts inside it's mothers womb when it is going to be aborted. i think this song makes the listener feel even deeper than they want to.

on another note i have heard this babys crying/screaming on a movie called the war and also on another movie but i can't remember the name of it.

iS!
12-05-2002, 04:58 PM
I've heard the crying baby in a "Partnership for a Drug-Free America" commercial. It was supposedly "based on a true story" or "real events" or something like that. It showed a house that was a meth lab from the inside—something going wrong, and then from the outside, blowing up. The baby's crying was inside the house.

Irrelevant to the track, but hey, I've been waiting for years to mention it.

Penguin
12-08-2002, 05:42 PM
The crying doesn't freak me out, it's just ANNOYING! I HATE babies when they cry.. oh man.. don't get me started..

ThePoet
12-09-2002, 08:42 PM
it's a child crying, it happens all the time, everyday, probably every hour. Some child wakes up cuz it's hungry or just because and starts crying. Someone just recorded it, whether it was Maynard or a friend of the band or anything who knows. Maybe it's just hungry and not being tortured or anything. It can symbolize a lot of things, an orphan left on a doorstep (desertion) , a new child being born (creation), a child being shaken to death or dying by some other means (destruction). As you can tell I like -tion words, heh.

forty6n2
12-23-2002, 01:14 PM
The crying baby is more annoying than freaky to me now. But when I was first listening to the cd it creeped me out cos it was all dark and everything.

The baby's crying sounds more like a hungry and scared type of cry.

This track only makes me think about why there are so many wordless tracks in the TOOL cds that seem to have almost no meaning or reason.

Torpid_Prey
12-29-2002, 02:04 AM
i really find it funny how so many people get freaked out by the sound of a baby crying - i mean, when i first heard it i was kinda "uncomfortable" just because of its complete difference with every song ive heard on any cd, but the thing is - all babys cry - its a face of nature - babies will get hungry, as do we. babys get scared, as do we. it is a little disturbing at first - i wont deny that, but after the second time its just another track on the cd, no more disturbing that say (-) Ions or Message to Harry Manback. i often find myself screaming out with it (although quieter)

«---- '][' ø r p î d ]? r ê ÿ ----»

flipmojo
12-29-2002, 05:49 AM
It's a crying baby. Uh... poopy butt?

Cronos
01-11-2003, 10:28 AM
The crying doesn't really freak me out. It's those echoing, barely audible voices that get to me.

WHAT ARE THEY SAYING!? Someone, quickly decipher them!

eulogy508
03-22-2003, 07:23 PM
i have yet to listen to AEnima at night, but when I do hear it, i usually skip past cesaro summability because it just disturbs me a little.

there are some other songs i suggest you dont listen to in the dark, at night, etc.... (unless you want to freak yourself out) like i dont think anyone here happens to have the The Craft soundtrack but theres this one song with bells at the beginning and its sort of scary at night. Also on the new AFI cd, one of the hidden track things has a very eerie effect to it.

"black sabbath" is a little bit creepy but the rain and the church bells at the beginning sound mostly fake.

But cesaro summability, i must admit, may remain a mystery forever.

MoreTool4Nick
02-10-2004, 02:58 PM
it's a child crying, it happens all the time, everyday, probably every hour. Some child wakes up cuz it's hungry or just because and starts crying. Someone just recorded it, whether it was Maynard or a friend of the band or anything who knows. Maybe it's just hungry and not being tortured or anything. It can symbolize a lot of things, an orphan left on a doorstep (desertion) , a new child being born (creation), a child being shaken to death or dying by some other means (destruction). As you can tell I like -tion words, heh.

I don't Mind the baby, I think it adds to the coolness of Tool

Ghost of Starman
02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Ehh, I always thought it was a baby getting baptised. The crying would be since, well, babies cry during baptism. The machine-like sounds are there since the baby would become a Christian, and its automatically going to be taught what to think and believe with no argument, much like a machine or a computer executes tasks from command of a user. And those inaudiable voices are the baptist, godfather, godmother etc...I'm sure this is way off, but you never know.

Lord Fongo
02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Wow, nice interpretation Ghost. That's a very interesting way of looking at it. I clap. :)

My own interpretation of "Cesaro Summability" ties in with the song prior to it: "Pushit". Personally, I relate to "Pushit" with the concept of child abuse. I can personally connect the lyrics in the song to that concept well, and the crying baby in "Cesaro Summability" represents the abused child. The muffled voices represent the memories the child has, faint and in the past, but still there all the same.

...I'm still working on that odd, robotic noise....

Oh yeah, one line in "Pushit" says, "I will choke until I swallow... Choke this infant here before me." ...Hmm... ~scratches chin in contemplation~

Well, there's my two cents.

g-bay-be
02-16-2004, 05:34 PM
It does remind me of a batism now that i think of it

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 01:00 PM
That does actually make alot of since...that's pretty good. Especially since Casaro Summability is a mathmatical equation...you know, something so "perfect" and something automatically inforced.