PDA

View Full Version : Meshuggah influenced

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 08:57 AM
So, do you think that Adam insinuating that Meshuggah is an influence on the new album is somewhat true, or is it another Tool prank for the masses? Do you give a shit? Why not? How much does your mother charge for her services these days?

Edit: I hope it's true. I, for one, would like to hear the heaviest Tool album yet.

Windir
04-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Maybe... but not likely.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
I hope Danny's drumming will NOT be influenced by Meshuggah, because his style is way different and, of course, he's better. I don't want to hear Meshuggah-like drumming on Tool albums.

Dirty Sanchez
04-12-2005, 09:36 AM
My guess would be subtle Meshuggah influences.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 09:36 AM
If I want to listen to Meshuggah, I'd listen to Meshuggah, not Tool trying to sound like Meshuggah. I'd just hope the new album will have a harder sound than AEnima and still lives up to the artistic vision and beauty as their past albums.

You, way over in left field. Point being made, over there in right field.

What you just said is like saying, "If I wanted to listen to King Crimson, I'd listen to King Crimson." I said influenced, not imitated.

MrMcPheezy
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
My guess would be subtle Meshuggah influences.

That's what I'm guessing as well.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
You, way over in left field. Point being made, over there in right field.

What you just said is like saying, "If I wanted to listen to King Crimson, I'd listen to King Crimson." I said influenced, not imitated.

Edit: I'm not even a huge fan of Meshuggah. But I think they are the Tool of metal. As far as exploration goes. Just a buttfucked Christload heavier, and more brutal. That's what I look forward to, as far as a Meshuggah influence goes: Heaviest Tool ever.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Heaviness of Ænima and Meshuggah, a bit, with the artistic/psychological aspects of Lateralus. Mmm. Yum.

I actually sorta like Meshuggah; it's just that "Nothing" didn't impress me at all. I have a few other random songs by them that are damn good.

SmallWangedMan
04-12-2005, 10:28 AM
I was hoping to see Tool take a more and more dynamic route, like they have been doing, Undertow to Aenima and then Aenima to Lateralus. But whatever, if it's all heavy I'm sure it will still be solid.

el rancho ovulate
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
I think the only similarity will be heaviness.. I doubt that Adam would start playing staccato start-stop riffs..

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I really can't see Tool integrating any part of Meshuggah's sound into their music. Adam isn't really a palm-muting shredder, or a Holdsworth-esque lead technician... and Danny bashing quarters on a china and playing a bunch of implied triplet bass drum flurries and would be a radical overhaul in his playing. I can see Tool maybe going into some of their lyrical territory, or maybe diving into more complex time signatures and polyrhythmic relationships. I don't doubt that Meshuggah will be an influence for the record, but it'll probably be very subtle. Maybe a section of a song here and there that sort of makes you think of them.

MrMcPheezy
04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
and Danny bashing quarters on a china and playing a bunch of implied triplet bass drum flurries and would be a radical overhaul in his playing.

ha.

I can see Tool ... maybe diving into more complex time signatures and polyrhythmic relationships.

Yeah, I'd love to see both of these things in more of tool's music.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I was hoping to see Tool take a more and more dynamic route, like they have been doing, Undertow to Aenima and then Aenima to Lateralus. But whatever, if it's all heavy I'm sure it will still be solid.

I agree with this. I'm not saying I want the whole album to be 'metal', but them exploring heaviness they've never used before interests the fuck out of me.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
it would be pretty cool.

I'm going to go beatmap "The Grudge" in Acid and add double bass to it to find out.

champion
04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
first of all, to the thread's creator, why would tool lie about something as believable as a meshuggah influence on the new album?

secondly, nobody said they would try to sound like meshuggah. all that was said about the album is that because of the recent tours with meshuggah and fantomas, the band was inspired to make an album that's more aggressive and heavier than their recenet efforts. tool thinks about what they do more than all of us combined. they know what they're doing, and i, personally, can't wait to see where they go with this direction.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
first of all, to the thread's creator, why would tool lie about something as believable as a meshuggah influence on the new album?

secondly, nobody said they would try to sound like meshuggah. all that was said about the album is that because of the recent tours with meshuggah and fantomas, the band was inspired to make an album that's more aggressive and heavier than their recenet efforts. tool thinks about what they do more than all of us combined. they know what they're doing, and i, personally, can't wait to see where they go with this direction.

Because they lie about a lot of things, just for kicks. I remember the Guitar World issue with Adam and Justin before the release of Lateralus, where Adam claimed that there would be 3 or 4 songs on the album well over 11 minutes long, Third Eye style. That was pretty believable. Turns out he was jerking around with everyone, as is Tool tradition.

Someone took what my question about the Meshuggah influence wrong, and was saying they didn't want Tool to sound like Meshuggah. That was who I was referring to.

champion
04-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Because they lie about a lot of things, just for kicks. I remember the Guitar World issue with Adam and Justin before the release of Lateralus, where Adam claimed that there would be 3 or 4 songs on the album well over 11 minutes long, Third Eye style. That was pretty believable. Turns out he was jerking around with everyone, as is Tool tradition.

Someone took what my question about the Meshuggah influence wrong, and was saying they didn't want Tool to sound like Meshuggah. That was who I was referring to.

he was probably telling the truth at the end because the songs were in the middle of production.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 12:19 PM
it would be pretty cool.

I'm going to go beatmap "The Grudge" in Acid and add double bass to it to find out.

Hey Seven: Have you checked out the drummer from Meshuaggah's "DrumKitFromHell" program? They have a link on http://www.Meshuggah.net Supposedly, this was used on Catch 33 instead of live drums. You should check it out, if you haven't already.

Edit: In fact, here's the direct link: http://www.toontrack.com/index_samples.shtml

Perseensilmä
04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I hope they balance the heavier parts with great mellow parts. Balance. I dont hope it will be Meshuggah like. I hope it is Tool-like. Heavier is okay, but I dont want only heavy. Ticks and leeches kind of heavy I like, but wouldnt want 80 minutes of only that.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
........... but no one else either, I would hope..

It's Tool we're talking about, so I don't think there's need for concern in that department.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey Seven: Have you checked out the drummer from Meshuaggah's "DrumKitFromHell" program?

EDIT: I had no idea DFH was an actual program.
I thought it was just a sample package.

haven't used it myself.

I might have to go warez hunting later today.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 12:44 PM
EDIT: I had no idea DFH was an actual program.
I thought it was just a sample package.

haven't used it myself.

I might have to go warez hunting later today.

Dude, I'm not even into that shit, and I gotta say: That program is fucking badass. 5 different drum kits, 60+ cymbals, 85,000 samples. Fuck. And it's only $300. Here's the link where you can buy it:

www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TT103

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
cool....

hopefully it'll be suitable for breaks.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Holy crap!

Why??? Why???

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Why what?

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 12:54 PM
cool....

hopefully it'll be suitable for breaks.

Interfacing you mean? Or what? I'm not a techie.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
nahh...just breakbeats, which are funk derived drum phrases.

some drum programming applications or hardware don't work well in breaking note values down to triplets or shuffles. But I suppose if they used it for the bass drums on Catch 33, it should have no problem.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Why what?Why would you spend $300 on a box of sound samples?

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
But I suppose if they used it for the bass drums on Catch 33, it should have no problem.

That's what blows me away man. According to a review on Catch 33 that I just read, he used it for everything on that album. Not just the bass beats. The whole album. If that's true, then that's fucking crazy.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Why would you spend $300 on a box of sound samples?

it's not just samples. It's a pretty in depth drum arrangement program.

I don't mind paying 100 bucks for a really good set of samples though.
For people who might not have access to a high end studio to get their sounds, it can be a godsend.

You can actually make some good side money creating sample banks too.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Why would you spend $300 on a box of sound samples?

Man, you should go read about what it is first, and see for yourself what it has to offer. That kit, if it's everything they crack it up to be, it's like every guitar player's wet dream: A programmable drummer that does whatever you tell him to.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
A programmable drummer that does whatever you tell him to.

hah

Sort of what like the volume fader on the guitarists PA channel is to the rest of the band.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
hah

Sort of what like the volume fader on the guitarists PA channel is to the rest of the band.

Ha, yup. Meanwhile, it's usually the bass player getting fucked on the volume settings.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 01:13 PM
But it's not real. Blech.

Hogpile
04-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Neither are Pamela Anderson's tits. But for $300, I'd play around with em.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 01:18 PM

here we go again

start at post 5 and work your way down (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=20378)

Panzerfaust
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
The new album is going to sound like a Isis/Fantomas/Meshuggah/Neurosis cross breed.

Closed.

champion
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
the new album is gonna sound like tool.

Perseensilmä
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
the new album is gonna sound like tool.

No way.

Seven Deep
04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Maybe there will be a duet with Beyonce. They can do the video with her hair all poofed up and Maynard doing the crazy eyes like Ozzy.

DeRais
04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
You all are missing that just because you are influenced by it does not mean you are recreating the same thing.

champion
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
No but it means you are creating something similar or has the same style or what not instead of having something completely raw and original.

if you think tool, let alone any band that's ever existed, is completely raw and original, then you don't know shit about music.

DeRais
04-12-2005, 06:25 PM
No but it means you are creating something similar or has the same style or what not instead of having something completely raw and original.

Not neccesarily....it depends on the individuals that are being influenced.

DeRais
04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
If you actually want to break down Tool's music analytically, you'll find that nothing they do is really original, it is just bringing those elements together in that way, that's whats makes Tool Tool.

KJM
04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
if you think tool, let alone any band that's ever existed, is completely raw and original, then you don't know shit about music.

What about the first artists and bands that came into playing? What about bands and artists that started completely new genres? Nothing is original? Not even the original creators?

-Meshuggah is awesome, and don't even compare drummers. They each do very different things.

Hogpile
04-15-2005, 10:35 AM
What about the first artists and bands that came into playing? What about bands and artists that started completely new genres? Nothing is original? Not even the original creators?.

If you want to go all the way back to the first guy who thought of banging the first stick on a rock, you might have a point. Unfortunately, none of the bands that any of us listen to date back that far, and everyone is inspired by someone musically. Take something and make it your own. But there is no such thing in today's music world as complete and utter originality. Some elements of something that came before are utilized in all genres of music.

KJM
04-15-2005, 10:43 AM
If you want to go all the way back to the first guy who thought of banging the first stick on a rock, you might have a point. Unfortunately, none of the bands that any of us listen to date back that far, and everyone is inspired by someone musically. Take something and make it your own. But there is no such thing in today's music world as complete and utter originality. Some elements of something that came before are utilized in all genres of music.

I'm not just talking about those guy. I'm talking about originators of completely new genres. And there's a lot of stuff that's still relatively new. Fripp's soundscapes were really completely new, other people had done the synthy guitarish drawn out sounds, but overall it's still a pretty new sound (comparitively speaking)

Hogpile
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm not just talking about those guy. I'm talking about originators of completely new genres. And there's a lot of stuff that's still relatively new. Fripp's soundscapes were really completely new, other people had done the synthy guitarish drawn out sounds, but overall it's still a pretty new sound (comparitively speaking)

I see what you're saying. But like I said, those genres were inspired from somewhere.

KJM
04-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I see what you're saying. But like I said, those genres were inspired from somewhere.

I agree, but I don't think that means it's not original. I think there's a difference between the overall sound being original and bits and pieces of it being drawn as inspiration from somewhere ele . I don't think it's fair to take away from the originality of the overall sound. Because you could bring it to the point where you say "I play an A sharp and now anyone else that uses that note is borrowing from me and can no longer have any original credit given to their name".

It was really just the whole "no band in existence was ever original" talk that got me going lol.

champion
04-15-2005, 12:13 PM
because it's impossible to have a completely new sound, i define originality as a band who tells their story and creates their vision. bottom line.

KJM
04-15-2005, 02:36 PM
because it's impossible to have a completely new sound, i define originality as a band who tells their story and creates their vision. bottom line.

Sounds like you changed your description of originality ;-)

KJM
04-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Also, I don't think it's a question of possiblity when speaking of completely original sounds. I think it's more a question of making it listenable.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
04-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I think it'll have a tad bit of Meshuggah in it, but no aaaaaaaaaaaaarghgraaaaaaaaaaaahhbleeeeeeeeeeeeeaah hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *cough* whaaaaaaaaaaaabababaa *fart* ...obviously.

edit: Unless Maynerd grows a few chest hairs.

5th Eye
04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
edit: Unless Maynerd grows a few chest hairs.*snickers into hand*

solomonarul
04-18-2005, 10:12 AM
"Meshuggah flavor on upcoming album?"
who knows...Tool is too unpredictable.