PDA

View Full Version : ITS ABOUT BILL HICKS for christs sake

troksta
02-04-2003, 07:45 PM
read my damn post before u post who its about
god u cant think this song is about anyone other than the singer meant for it to be about its a eulogy
EULOGY
u ever gone toa funeral
and they speak about some other dead person cause they think it relates well . no this song aint like their others its directed at a person who he states on the faq and in the lyrics and on many interviews bllllllllleh
dont hate me for abuse its just some of the long ass explanations about it bein about god and ma ha raj and whoever the fuck kinda gets to me

jpmanson
02-04-2003, 08:26 PM
i dont agree with you at all.. the song seems to point to a person that led other people.. bill never led anyone.. he jus told things like they are..

i stand by my own interpretation, it is much like my interpretation of opiate, i think these songs are about an ambiguous character, someone that the songwriter made up. not any actual person.. just a character that fits stereotypes..

troksta
02-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by jpmanson
i dont agree with you at all.. the song seems to point to a person that led other people.. bill never led anyone.. he jus told things like they are..

i stand by my own interpretation, it is much like my interpretation of opiate, i think these songs are about an ambiguous character, someone that the songwriter made up. not any actual person.. just a character that fits stereotypes..

bill never led anyone, he just told things like they are who says u cant lead ppl by showing them the line

jpmanson
02-04-2003, 08:51 PM
perhaps, but the image that the song implies is that of a person who led people by his own actions.. a person that actually intended for people to follow him..

i really dont think bill intended for people to follow his lead, i think he just wanted to make intelligent comedy. his comedy never gave me any impression that he wanted people to look up to him..

troksta
02-04-2003, 08:57 PM
tool have stated much admiration for the guy as a leader of the people and adam jones quotes him alot in interviews as some sort of philosopher of sorts

jpmanson
02-04-2003, 10:24 PM
that doesnt imply that he fits every aspect of the song. there are certain lines in the song that definately do not apply to bill hicks.

for example: "he had a lot of nothing to say" obviosly the members of tool thought that he did have something important to say..

"you told us how you werent afraid to die"
when did bill ever state anythign like that?

"not all martyrs see divinity"
how was bill a martyr?

ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart"
this line seems to be insulting or rejecting the basic message of the person, why would the members of tool do either of those to a person that they reveared as much as they imply that they did for bill?

"no way to recall, what it was that you had said to me, like i care at all"
this seems to show that the writer of the song doesnt care about the message of the speaker, i think that tool did care about the message of bill hicks

"someone who would die for me"
i dont get any impression that bill would have died for anyone, not through what he said in his comedy acts at least.

"will you, will you now, would you die for me?"
"you claimed all this time that you would die for me"
sorry, i dont think bill ever made any such claim..

anyway, these lines dont support the bill hicks theory..

Limo
02-05-2003, 12:51 AM
I dont think the song is about someone Tool admire (Bill Hicks), but on the other hand I dont think its about someone they hate (L Ron Hubbard).

From the beginning I've thought it was about Jesus, I know its obviouc, but I think the sings point to someone who has been given a bad rap, someone who had some kooky ideas that may have had substance but people just got carried away, and in the end his "message" became distorted.

I'm sorry if this sounds "christian like". But i'm really not a christian, I think JC was just a guy with some wacky ideas, who died for no good reason.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Convoy_X
02-05-2003, 02:40 AM
ok first of all your not spots to post things that say "this is what tool meant" and 2nd of all its about Bill Hicks to YOU to me its about some one ells and to Limo it seems to be about Jesus the songs that Tool wrights and sings and plays for us are just that for us if you run a radio station you dont run it to make money you run it for the good of the people art museums are for the good of the people not for making money or they should be... its not about what Tool wrought it about its about what it says to YOU and if it says Hicks to you and 1SG to be then fine so be it.

troksta
02-05-2003, 03:43 AM
had alot of nothign to say

most comedians just talk shit much like hicks did
he never tried to be immensly serious with his comedy but mostly just to throw water at life when u talk with all ure mates about pointless shit u never make a mark on life ure just talkin about nothing

afraid to die? guy smoked and drank all the time he knew he was gunna enjoy himself and fucked if he died like he said non smoker die every day

martyr is just a way of sayin he died beleivin in his own morals and ethics

fuck makin a point for everyargument
and that guy who said its what tool think
im only refering to this song
and gee maybe what the band fuckin say in interviews
they make songs that make u think but like maynard said in that acp thing most ppl missinterpret
u know they make a song about christianity or divine love and when i say for example opiate is about christianity which adam jones fuckin states in an interview . and i am going to say tool wrote this song to relate to something something
im not going to pretend i know their 100% meaning of a song
but like i said opiate is about the corruption about christianity
because jesus adam jones states it in an interview just like eulogy being about bill hicks

its like listenig to preety woman and sayin the songs about communust china
bah im fucked with the posts its too late
i hope someone just tries to understand what im tryin to say
and i know i have shit punctuation

Hogpile
02-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Troksta, I think we all get what your trying to say. I've seen about 3673763 posts since I started coming on this site saying that the song is about Bill Hicks. I like a few others, disagree. First of all, one of the most common misconceptions about tool is that every album they do, has some complete and utter thematic element and message to it. The only album tool has done that I think may register as a concept album(as in EVERY SONG is related to the same message) is Lateralus. This belief that tool as a band consists of super-genius nerd god aliens who have risen to a depth and understanding beyond us, and who have kindly decided to show us the light, is a concept that drives me up the fucking wall about this site. Not every song that tool does has some cryptic message. Not every album they come out with, has an underlining theme. Opiate is not wholly about christianity. Ænima is not solely about the two sides to self Anima Anime or what the fuck ever some of the dim-witted fuckheads on this site would have you believe. I've also heard the concept that the whole Ænima album is about Mutant to Futant, which I completely disagree. And lastly Eulogy is not about Bill Hicks. The song is about how bitter all these numbnut Christian fucks are going to be, when they find no Jesus waiting with open arms at the end of the line. As for the things tool says in interviews, thats the biggest punch line of all. They almost always are bullshittin when it comes to media released interviews. I believe nothing they say in magazines or in interviews. Did anyone see the issue of Guitar World that came out right before Laterlus was released? The whole article was a fucking sharade.

eknick
02-06-2003, 05:26 PM
you dudes relax...
its a good song...
out...

troksta
02-06-2003, 07:35 PM
i only go by interviews where they are actually speakin
listen to the adam jones one where he has a session with tripple j in australia at a bowling alley the guy isnt lying hes just being open about the band and their music
its like one of the only interviews recorded ive heared where they are talkin about their music]

i think the interview is on this site
like 30 wav files
or it used to be here

jpmanson
02-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Hogpile
As for the things tool says in interviews, thats the biggest punch line of all. They almost always are bullshittin when it comes to media released interviews. I believe nothing they say in magazines or in interviews. Did anyone see the issue of Guitar World that came out right before Laterlus was released? The whole article was a fucking sharade. [/B]

yeah, i agree with that.. im surprised that many other people dont. i havent believed anything the members of tool have said since "lachrymology," i fell for that one just like a lot of other people did..

Penguin
02-08-2003, 03:41 PM
It's about Bill Cosby goddam it

jpmanson
02-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Penguin
It's about Bill Cosby goddam it

no way, its about rosie o'donnel

Penguin
02-08-2003, 05:16 PM
"HE had a lot to say"! Rosie is perceived as female :P

jpmanson
02-08-2003, 05:18 PM
i was joking. some people on audiogalaxy once had a huge arguement over who the song is about, in the end, we all agreed that it was about rosie, just because no one would agree with each other.

4th Eye
02-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Think for yourself...
To me, Eulogy is about any fool who tries to stand above the crowd with nothing to say. Trying to be better and wiser than he really is. And everyday there are those next fool martyrs.

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space
to nail the next fool martyr."

For the first time it sure sounds it's about Jesus, then comes L. Ron Hubbard and Bill Hicks and all these but I don't think it's about anyone individual. I don't know what the band meant with this but that's what it means to me...

Limo
02-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Penguin
"HE had a lot to say"! Rosie is perceived as female :P

The jokes on you dude ;)

Andy
02-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 4th Eye
"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space
to nail the next fool martyr."

I mean these lines seal it for me, them and the crucifixation and "claiming you would die for me" lines. I mean, kinda narrows it down a little. Maybe its not about Jesus Christ at all, but its alot more likely to be him than Bill Hicks I reckon. If they were to write a song about Bill Hicks I think it would be alot more positive and respectful, since they did consider him "another dead HERO".

And whats with all these people claiming so passionately that it's Bill Hicks and then not given a proper explanation of why they think that. I mean, its open to interpretation and I'd love to hear other people's interpretations of the song, but with evidence to back it up.

If you read my recent thread "Eulogy of Jesus Christ" you'll see where I'm coming from

-Andy

Sora
02-10-2003, 06:32 PM
I don't think the song is about anyone in particular. "we need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr." BY that it seems to me like it's just about all those stupid people who think that what they have to say is important and everyone should care about them. The song definately has a sarcasic tone to it. "You've claimed all t5his time that you would die for me, why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy." I think this line shows great sarcasm. That after all these peopole go through for their "cause" their eulogy is making fun of them.

Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.

paraflux
02-24-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm with JP Manson. Why does it have to be about somebody in particular? And the subject matter of the song isnt even about a leader. Its about followers. It mocks the people who follow, who have no idea what the guy says, its just he's strong and loud and easy to relate to.

Dhalz
02-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Why would tool do a song about bill hicks for jesuses sake.

Soaky
02-25-2003, 08:39 AM
The song in my view is about anyone. Itt represents any one person, our president for instance that has the intellect of a mole yet pretends that they are some creation out of God's own ass. Bill did not show fear to die considering he trashed Jim Fixx every set and talked about his good drug experiences. However some of the lyrics that are sung do not aplly to Bill, being a martyr or the whole at everything but his heart type thing. These would be negative traits for a person in which the band as one whole seem to revere so much...