PDA

View Full Version : IF the new album sucks as much as everyone thinks.....

Naga Royal Guard
03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
what will you do? ( become a metallica fan, destroy your Tool album collection, become a goth, ignore the album entirely, protest and riot at Tool concerts, etc.. )

herrhav0k
03-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Continue listening to their other stuff.

Raider
03-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Continue listening to their other stuff.
I second that.

Panzerfaust
03-20-2005, 08:53 PM
I won't listen to it, there's tons of better bands out there.

UtUmNo1
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Better than Tool??!! You blasphemous blasphemer!! There is no such thing!!

UnholyBelligerence
03-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Hah how amusing. I would try so hard to like it, but if it still doesnt work, I'll just listen to their old stuff. I see no point in getting angry with the band simply becuase they didnt meet your expectations.

UtUmNo1
03-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Maybe they will hire a performance coach?

Misanthrope
03-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Become a Metallica fan for sure.

champion
03-21-2005, 06:48 AM
you guys all need to chill out on thesr ridiculous threads. just wait to see what they come up with. if i had any faith in the band, i'd give them the benefit of the doubt and expect an amazing album, but only time will tell. until there's new tool material, there's no sense in discussing silly assumations about it.

UnholyBelligerence
03-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Im glad your relaxed about it.

5th Eye
03-21-2005, 09:20 AM
If it sucks, I will be sad for a bit, then listen to Lateralus until my ears bleed and I'll forget about it.

5th Eye
03-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Auditory Stigmata!Hahaha, yes, exactly...

MasterOfKtulu109
03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
People have hyped this album up so much, it's almost impossible for it to be what is expected. I honestly don't think it can top Lateralus, so I am just going to buy it and see what happens. If it does top Lateralus, great. If it doesn't, oh well.

I'm sure it will not suck though. I think it will be like the others and it will be great, but may be better than Undertow, worse than Aenima, better than Aenima, worse than Lateralus, etc.

Some will think it's the best yet, some will think the worst, some in between.

5th Eye
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
I think it will be better than Lateralus, but only slightly.

tomXwithXweather
03-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Re: IF the new album sucks as much as everyone thinks.....

Who's everyone?

Isac Khrondor
03-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Who's everyone?

Him and his "freinds"

I used the speach marks to show that he has no freinds.

Ertai
03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
what will you do? ( become a metallica fan, destroy your Tool album collection, become a goth, ignore the album entirely, protest and riot at Tool concerts, etc.. )

i will be an assassin with one intension, to assassinate maynard cause he's waited so long with many patient fans...then to deliever a shitty album..(but honestly i dont maynard has it in his heart to rush a shitty album....*cough* emotive *cough*

then i will listen to some mars volta as i attempt to over dose on rat poison....

a_sirian_in_agony
03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
ill assainate maynard if it sucks...hehehe...im kidding......hehehe.......

a_sirian_in_agony
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
i will be an assassin with one intension, to assassinate maynard cause he's waited so long with many patient fans...then to deliever a shitty album..(but honestly i dont maynard has it in his heart to rush a shitty album....*cough* emotive *cough*

then i will listen to some mars volta as i attempt to over dose on rat poison....
dude, we ,like, thought the same thing at the same moment......so im not alone...

symbiosis
03-21-2005, 01:43 PM

None of the above.

Naga Royal Guard
03-21-2005, 01:47 PM
there is an " etc " there

a_sirian_in_agony
03-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Is someone touching your balls? Are you getting a physical?
they dont really touch as much as they squeez.....

Tree
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM

Maybe I'm being unreasonable here, but shouldn't we wait to hear the album considering no one on this message board has any idea of what it's going to sound like?
For those of us a little older here, we've all been through this before. No one expected Aenima to top Undertow, but it turned out great. Same thing for Lateralus being just as legit as Aenima. I, for one, have complete faith that this album will be great.

Tree

Naga Royal Guard
03-21-2005, 09:10 PM
some other moron already started a thread about how the album sucks, so this was just the next logical step

Tyson
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
What's all this talk about trying to top Lateralus?

They haven't topped aenima yet noobs.

a_sirian_in_agony
03-21-2005, 09:48 PM

They haven't topped aenima yet noobs.
lateralus was more focused and easier to center and meditate to, it was also deeper...aenima was more of them finding themselves, just my opinion...

astoria
03-21-2005, 10:08 PM
lateralus was more focused and easier to center and meditate to, it was also deeper...aenima was more of them finding themselves, just my opinion...

I think Aenima was much deeper, I believe not even tool can top an album like Aenima. It's an album that comes once a quarter century or so. The concept of Aenima was unity, and you got that in the music. Whereas lateralus was great mind you, however it was jumbled up. I mean it starts with the ferocity of the Grudge and Ticks and Leeches to the hypnotising rythyms of Reflection, it's just not consistent in it's sound.

ps been a die hard fan since 98 I guess Aenima has always been in my life since then........dunno maybe tool might top Aenima this time. After all anything is possible....

Peon
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
If the new Tool album sucks, I'll pretend to like it to be cool.

5th Eye
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM

They haven't topped aenima yet noobs.I definitely think that Lateralus topped Ćnima. Even though I may be a n00b to TDN I'm no n00b to Tool, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I think Aenima was much deeper, I believe not even tool can top an album like Aenima. It's an album that comes once a quarter century or so. The concept of Aenima was unity, and you got that in the music. Whereas lateralus was great mind you, however it was jumbled up. I mean it starts with the ferocity of the Grudge and Ticks and Leeches to the hypnotising rythyms of Reflection, it's just not consistent in it's sound.

ps been a die hard fan since 98 I guess Aenima has always been in my life since then........dunno maybe tool might top Aenima this time. After all anything is possible....

the inconsistency of the Lateralus sound is why I love it so much. I don't like cds in which all the songs sound very similar, and the first time you play it, you cannot even tell when the next track starts. I love Aenima as well, but i like lateralus better, simply because it has songs like 'the grudge' and 'ticks & leeches', while also having 'disposition'

i hope the next one has many songs that all sound very different.

paraflux
03-22-2005, 03:01 PM
People have hyped this album up so much, it's almost impossible for it to be what is expected. I honestly don't think it can top Lateralus, so I am just going to buy it and see what happens. If it does top Lateralus, great. If it doesn't, oh well.

I'm sure it will not suck though. I think it will be like the others and it will be great, but may be better than Undertow, worse than Aenima, better than Aenima, worse than Lateralus, etc.

Some will think it's the best yet, some will think the worst, some in between.

It makes no difference at all what people's expectations are. Remember your expectations of lateralus after 4 years of waiting? Turned out nothing like what you thought, I bet, but golden just the same.

Tool's records are not easily digestable. You have to listen for a week or so for it to hit you the way it's supposed to hit you. Therefore, any expectations will never be met.

SiGuy
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
hehehe, i like how it turned into an argument over which album is better.

i think butter is better personally.

but if you had to quantify which one is better then it would be based on which one is listend to more... mabye. but anyway, in that case, aenima is better, for all you stark naked raving tool fans, as aenima has been out for much longer, so theoretically, given that there are 24 hours in a day, that rounds off to about 5 hours of each album, now, and about 7 hours for each album before latraelus( leave a couple hours for jerkin the gerkin to the videos). in total, therefor, aenima would have thousands more hours than latraelus, making it better. not withstanding that by this, the Only logical system, Opiate is by far the best. if of course you really meant to say " i like so and so album more than the other one" and you just cant spaek engliss good, then that is also understandable.

5th Eye
03-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

KJM
03-22-2005, 11:34 PM
It can't be any worse than lateralus. I know you all think it's the holy grail. I like aenima myself. The overall tone of laterlaus irked me. It sounded gross at times.

Hey I have my own little title. That's funny.

Tyson
03-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Interesting.

neo_taboolie
03-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Interesting.
His title...? Yes...

jonathan2994
03-23-2005, 08:59 AM
all we know about the new album is that it will be heavier, the drums are better, adam uses more effects pedals, danny has a new drum set, justin's bass is well done, and that it's been in progress since before last year (except for vocals, which Maynard started on in November). and i'm sure it will be even harder to digest than lateralus was.

5th Eye
03-23-2005, 09:45 AM
It can't be any worse than lateralus. I know you all think it's the holy grail. I like aenima myself. The overall tone of laterlaus irked me. It sounded gross at times.Well, yeah, you're entitled to your own opinion...even though I think it sucks...

saut
03-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't think I could possibly like this album as much as I liked Lateralus at the time of its release. A lot of that has to do with growing up over the past 4 years, and discovering music that is better than Tool, which is something I wouldn't have even thought about years ago. Tool are no longer the supreme champions of music that they once were to me (which is probably due to me realizing that the lyrics do NOT make the music), but I do still enjoy everything they've done, and I'm sure the new album will be no exception. It's just not going to be the perfect album I was thinking it would be when I first heard they were working on it.

I know there are others of you who are feeling the exact same way I am about this.

KJM
03-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, yeah, you're entitled to your own opinion...even though I think it sucks...

I fell in love with aenima. That cold, dark sound. I wait years, I get lateralus. It sounded kind of cheap at times, and gross (to my ears). I think almost all the songs are great, I just don't like the recording production/tone. It's soooo uncompressed. I have to crank parabol to hear it, and then I get blasted by parabola and have to turn the stereo back down.

Are you generally that bitter when people's opinions differ from yours? It seems unhealthy.;)

5th Eye
03-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I have to crank parabol to hear it, and then I get blasted by parabola and have to turn the stereo back down.Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be.

Are you generally that bitter when people's opinions differ from yours? It seems unhealthy.;)Actually no. I just don't like to hear people bash Lateralus.

KJM
04-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be.

Actually no. I just don't like to hear people bash Lateralus.

really? And this whole time I thought it was a mistake (enter rolling eyes here) lol. That doesn't mean I have to think it works or sounds good to my ears.

I don't like the production, you do. No biggie. People are going to dislike music, albums, and recording choices you might like..I don't think you should allow yourself to be bothered by it though. It's not really worth it to be.

sound.out.light
04-02-2005, 11:39 AM
if the new album sucks who gives a shit?? tool is not the worlds musical ceiling..there are thousands of other great bands putting out great music.
tool doesnt owe us anything. they are just musicians.

sound.out.light
04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I. It's soooo uncompressed. I have to crank parabol to hear it, and then I get blasted by parabola and have to turn the stereo back down.

i can see what your saying..but i think compression has been so incredibly abused in the production of so much music lately. its like there will be a guitar intro and everything else will come in, and it doesnt get any louder! it sucks! i personally prefer to hear the natural dynamics..i like my speakers to move..

Nith Sahor
04-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I agree that it's probably been hyped up so much that it might not be well received. I also think that what Danny said about the album being heavier than Lateralus might not be true - they've said a lot of stuff about the album being released early 2005 and the DVD being out by fall, but it's now April 2005 and there's no live DVD and no album. The new album will probably be more difficult to fathom and penetrate because of the additional occult symbolism and all (like I watched the Parabol/Parabola video again the other day, and I was surprised that I recognized the flower of life and the outline of the Enochian Sigilum dei Ameth or whatever it's called a few times), so people will probably be saying WTF? at first - but with time it'll grow on us.

(On an unrelated note: I've been thinking about what Jonathan2994 said and about the post that Blair made that tooltabs.net isn't connected with Tool itself, and how Blair mentioned that "those guys will have their hands full when the new album is released" - it might sound silly, but could we maybe infer from that that the album will be very complex and intricate? Probably a given knowing Tool and all, but still... I'm quite excited)

k~nug
04-02-2005, 10:54 PM
You are all mistaken. There will be no new Tool record.

From the Tool page:
REMEMBER, DON”T KILL THE MESSENGER
You know the old saying, “no news is good news”, well… that was the case as far as the recording process was going for the new Tool CD, but now things may have changed a bit. Yesterday, when I went to the studio to give Maynard a bottle of wine (a 1992 Maya) for winning the bet that I had with him involving his new film “Sleeping Dogs Lie” (I lost by default, not being able to attend the Sedona screening), not only wasn’t Maynard there, but, in what seems to be a case of enantiodromia (something becoming its opposite) if ever there was one (!), I was told the reason why he wasn’t there. I wish this post was dated April 1, but, unfortunately, it isn’t. Like a doctor giving a patient a straight, honest answer to a medical diagnosis, without sugar-coating the truth, here’s exactly what I was told: “Maynard has found Jesus.” This will come as a complete shock to most (but not all) of you, as it did to me. In fact, it just seemed like another MJK prank until I talked to the one person who I believe would know if all this was legit or not. After nearly an hour on the phone with this person, the answer I received was that Maynard has indeed “found Jesus” and that, for this reason, he’s abandoned the project for the time being, if not entirely. I don’t know what the f**k is in the water these days, but hopefully a black jelly belly will turn up in that golden bowl… that’s all I can think to say at this point. Before leaving the studio, I watched as Danny made arrangements to go play some golf, while Adam and Justin kept working on a particular song. So, in case you missed it (those who don’t read the whole post), here’s today's news: Maynard has found Jesus…

im sure this is a prank but you never know.

hmm maybe maynard will convince the rest of Tool to go christian and we can hear a cover of amazing grace tool style.

RIP mitch hedburg

KJM
04-03-2005, 06:18 AM
i can see what your saying..but i think compression has been so incredibly abused in the production of so much music lately. its like there will be a guitar intro and everything else will come in, and it doesnt get any louder! it sucks! i personally prefer to hear the natural dynamics..i like my speakers to move..

I totally agree, which is why I thought it was rather funny (to me that is) that my complaint would be it's too uncompresed. Because generally I feel most albums coming out now are way too compresed.