PDA

View Full Version : Producer?

astoria
03-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Who do you think tool's producer is for the new album their recording now in the studio? Are they continuing with David Bottrill or maybe their going back to their roots with Sylvia Massy? Personally I love what David did with Aenima so I hope he's back on board. Yeah but it sucks that David has had to work with crappy nu-metal crap like Staind and Mudvayne and even god awful Silverchair. Who knows maybe their producing it themselves. What do you think?

Perseensilmä
03-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I heard from a reliable source that Max Martin is their producer this time.

astoria
03-19-2005, 01:18 PM
never heard of the guy.oh well..I hope he's good enough

astoria
03-19-2005, 01:20 PM
lmfao......what are you trying to make an ass of me? lol....he's a producer of pop albums like britney and shite.........ughhhhhhhhhh

Perseensilmä
03-19-2005, 01:20 PM
You bet he is. He is the best.

astoria
03-19-2005, 01:21 PM
You bet he is. He is the best.

I'll take your word for it

Tyson
03-19-2005, 02:09 PM
even god awful Silverchair.

Have you even given Diorama a chance?

One of the most beautiful albums concieved in Australia.

Anyhow, I don't think there has been an official statement on who is producing but my money is on David, or maybe Fripp?

They need Numan or Eno though.

astoria
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Have you even given Diorama a chance?

One of the most beautiful albums concieved in Australia.

Anyhow, I don't think there has been an official statement on who is producing but my money is on David, or maybe Fripp?

They need Numan or Eno though.

oh well to each his own

Nith Sahor
03-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Oh man... if Fripp was producing it I would fall off my chair. (If they could get Belew that would pretty wicked too.)

paraflux
03-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Do those guys even produce?

Nith Sahor
03-19-2005, 04:55 PM
If they put their minds to it, they probably could. But then again, I know nothing about producing.

matthewx
03-19-2005, 06:18 PM
I thiink Paul Shaffer from the Late Show would be a good producer. He can play a mean keyboard, wich could a nice touch to their "fillers." Then have Fred Durst do a rap intro to the album.

paraflux
03-20-2005, 06:05 PM
A good producer is a special sort of individual. They have to "become" the band. They have to have the ability to make the bands' songs better without even approaching the standpoint of just taking control. Despite what others' opinions are about the producer's role in the recording, i.e. "I think it sucks that someone from the outside comes in and tries to tell the band what to play," the producer has the most vital role in a good recording. Sure, the music starts with the band, but it has to go through the producer before it gets put on a cd and sent to press. They have to be people you trust.

Naga Royal Guard
03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
oh god here we go again

Nimh
03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
adrian belew has produced a few dozen albums i think. if you go to his website, there's a list of everything he's ever produced. there's some really good music on there, too.

and i would personally like to see tool produce their new album, because that would give them more musical freedom and allow them to be tool, really. i really like it when bands produce their music themselves, it makes me feel good inside.
True, if its good. The producer, though, is quite helpful, at least in the fact that it's a person who has an outside opinion, who isn't directly involved in the music and can have a (somewhat) unbiased opinion.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
I think they should have Bottrill again. Lateralus sounded amazing. Every note of every instrument was perfect. Most albums have the guitars way too loud.

YURAKAPTIV
04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I really wish rick Rubin would produce a Tool album,he;s done so many great albums.

paraflux
04-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Bottril is Tool's producer for life. I would probably be disappointed in the results of anyone else.

Bands dont usually make the best records when they either dont have a producer or just claim that they produced it themselves. There is no way in hell a band can take a step back and examine their music from a fresh perspective. That is really the only drawback to creating music, is that you can never hear the finished product for the first time.

Perseensilmä
04-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I am a bit curious to other options such as the band doing it themselves in collaboration with someone completely new and up-coming.
...and his name will be Jesus.

Perseensilmä
04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I was talking about the new guy. Maynard found him, Tool finished recording and took the back seat to let Jesus post-produce the album.

ATARI
04-09-2005, 06:24 PM
How about Steven Wilson? :P

Andy DV
04-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Fripp

from what i've read, fripp doesn't technically produce any king crimson, but really he is the mastermind behind it all. if he did a tool album i would shit not only my pants, but yours, also.

anyway, good thread, i think the producers impact on an album is often under appreciated. i think aenima has the best production out of all of tools albums - kind of a muddy, kyuss-like quality that suits tool well, although lateralus' incredible crispness is worth something, too. i suppose it depends on the music they crank out.

billy howerdel would be cool.

5th Eye
04-10-2005, 08:53 AM
billy howerdel would be cool.Um, wasn't he just a guitar tech? That's what Ænima says...so, I don't know how good he would be as a producer.

IC
04-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Fripp's supposed to be on the new album, if not producing it. I really hope Botrill is doing it. He's a friggin genious.

Perseensilmä
04-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Um, wasn't he just a guitar tech? That's what Ænima says...so, I don't know how good he would be as a producer.

I am not absolutely sure, but he may have produced every APC album.

IC
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
I am not absolutely sure, but he may have produced every APC album.
word up

dischordance
04-11-2005, 09:30 AM
from what i've read, fripp doesn't technically produce any king crimson, but really he is the mastermind behind it all. if he did a tool album i would shit not only my pants, but yours, also.
Fripp does produce, though. He produced Peter Gabriel's second album.

Who'd I like to produce? Steve Albini. Duh. Is there anyone else better suited to bring out Danny Carey's drums? If the songs really are harder on this new album, they'd want to go for a raw sound... The Albini sound, basically... But if they were going to work with Albini, they'd have done it by now.
And I agree that the production on Ænima is great. I probably wouldn't like it anywhere near as much as I do if it wasn't so fucking.... You know... Sludgy?

DeRais
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Botrill is awesome, but it would make more sense to try something new for the new album...

On a side note, what ever happened to Jimmy Page and Swan Song records?

mindstream
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
How about Steven Wilson? :P

I think Steve would be awesome. Look at the production quality of Opeth's "Deliverance".

paraflux
04-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Botrill is awesome, but it would make more sense to try something new for the new album...

Is that... logic?

DeRais
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Is that... logic?

Nah, it just sorta came put that way.

TheHolyGift
04-13-2005, 05:29 AM
if he did a tool album i would shit not only my pants, but yours, also.

Please let him do a tool album...

Mr. Hat
04-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I think Tool should hold an open compettion where the winner gets to produce.

Oh har d'har ...