PDA

View Full Version : I bet it will suck

Pages : [1] 2

Estevan
03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Every great band jumps the shark eventually. Think about it, you know you've had favorite bands where you were waiting every day for their next gift of musical bliss, and they've let you down. Im sure people will list off bands who never let them down, but everyone knows what I'm talking about. So far Tool hasn't done that. I trust them as musicians and I feel like anything they've sold me so far has provided higher than expected entertainment value for my dollar.

But, every great band jumps the shark eventually. Whether it's because of change in group members, family influence, good old aging in general, or expiration of Satan's contract for your soul ... it happens.

Im worried that this will be the beginning of the end for what is in my opinion the greatest combination of musical artists that have ever entertained me.

I make this prediction because I hope more than anything to be wrong ...
But, every great band jumps the shark eventually.

Naga Royal Guard
03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
some dont like lateralus, so to some Tool has already fallen

el rancho ovulate
03-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't think they'll let us down..

*crosses fingers*

Dirty Sanchez
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I bet it wont suck.

lastrose
03-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I trust them as musicians
obviously you don't.

a_sirian_in_agony
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
its good to be prepared, though.....if it sucks, it wont be so much of a shock...and if it fucking rocks, it will rock even harder...

TheHolyGift
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
How much do we get from you if it doesn't suck?

Tree
03-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Every great band jumps the shark eventually. Think about it, you know you've had favorite bands where you were waiting every day for their next gift of musical bliss, and they've let you down. Im sure people will list off bands who never let them down, but everyone knows what I'm talking about. So far Tool hasn't done that. I trust them as musicians and I feel like anything they've sold me so far has provided higher than expected entertainment value for my dollar.

But, every great band jumps the shark eventually. Whether it's because of change in group members, family influence, good old aging in general, or expiration of Satan's contract for your soul ... it happens.

Im worried that this will be the beginning of the end for what is in my opinion the greatest combination of musical artists that have ever entertained me.

There's one reason why bands eventually start to suck: lack of artistic control. Go read Adam/Justin's article in the June 2001 issue of Guitar World. I think Adam makes a great point in that article. Most bands start out knowing exactly who they want to be as artists, but eventually the business/market aspect of music adds a lot of pressure to a group and they begin to listen to record execs who are just trying to make money as fast as possible. When bands start listening to these outside influences, that's when things go to hell (see Bob Rock re: Metallica).
I don't think that applies to Tool at all. I honestly think Tool would quit before making a mediocre album. So don't worry.

Tree

UtUmNo1
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Lets face it, most bands peak fairly early in their career . Metallica for instance (lets not start another Metallica bashing thread; its only an example) certainly peaked with their 3rd album Master of Puppets.

Many believe (me included) AEnema to be far superior than Lateralus (a few songs excepted).

Have Tool started their slide? I'm sure they won't release a shit album (ie St Anger) but will it live up to what they have done in the past? Are they past their prime?

MasterOfKtulu109
03-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I think it's impossible for them to make a bad album just because they are so picky about what they release, and they are not happy until it is perfect.

Also, Danny said that one of the new songs is his favorite to date, and Tool is not the kind of band to say stuff just to sell more records. If the best is yet to come (according to Danny anyway), I honestly have no idea what to expect on the next album, and that's what makes Tool great.

I challenge them to make a better album than Lateralus. If its possible, they will find a way.

wwwanggg
03-16-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree with MasterofKtulu...

Each album is better than the previous one

simple1
03-16-2005, 08:38 PM
You have to look at it like this...

A lot of people thought Undertow sucked in comparison to Opiate... a lot of people thought Aenima sucked in comparison to Undertow... a lot of people thought Lateralus sucked in comparison to Aenima... I think they are all equally great albums. I have no delusions of grandeur, just for Tool to keep doing what it is that Tool does...

And that is:

Writing music for themselves as opposed to the masses. That is one of the things that attracts me to them... They don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about their music, so they keep writing it to keep themselves entertained.

Read their fuckin' interviews. They're a bunch of geeks that like to play music. Nothing more, nothing less. Danny said something along those lines.

I don't care what they do, because I've always been impressed (in different ways) with each album. Many people have their opinions as to whether or not one CD is better, but as far as I'm concerned it will be Tool. There can be no greater album than an album that Tool did.

erishkigal
03-16-2005, 09:17 PM
What is jumping the shark and how can I find out more on how to do this? it sounds fun and exciting/dangerous!!!

Cyanide ChrYst
03-16-2005, 09:41 PM
some dont like lateralus, so to some Tool has already fallen

Tool's other cds are mere rock albums to me. Lateralus was the defining point in music in my life.

Ertai
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
in my opinion they been holding back on this new album so long so people like ourselves wont be disappointed. I honestly think this new album will be a piece of musical bliss.

edit: The inital appearence of many of my favorite albums bored me, it wasnt before a matter of time that they grew to become that epic piece of art work that they mean to me now. All im saying is give it a chance even if it doesnt seem to fit your standards at first. For example TMV explained how their CDs are called spinners (they need to be played numerous amount of times for the listener to appricate the true value of whats being said/expressed in their music). This is sooo true, I admit that the first time around i heard lateralus i was blinded from its true meaning. I skipped through songs like the grudge and reflection so i could listen to what they were playing on the radio, schism and lateralus. I now have a completely different respect for the music then when i first heard it, this also goes for the mars volta (which i hated at first due to cedric's voice but now understand sooo much more).. These epic albums truely are spinners, which require intense listening to fully hear and understand what the music is trying to portray. These fourms and the interaction with other "hardcore" music lovers has sped up the process of understanding and decifering what this music means to me. Over thinking and over analyising has truely helped seperate the body from mind.

Believer
03-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Usually anything I'm anticipating for a long time ends up sucking. It's happened everytime in the past with all my past "favorite" bands, with Halo 2, with Return of the King (yeah I thought that was just gonna be the greatest movie ever it was far from it).

I'm not saying it's gonna suck, I sure hope it doesn't, but that's just a pattern I've see. But yeah, in the end it's up to you to decide, I may hate it and move on and everyone else may love it andl stay stay with it, who knows, who cares.

Spongebob
03-16-2005, 11:00 PM
i remember seeing a review with tool, were someone said that they dont even read reviews on their albums. i cant remember which member, but they said: we already have 4 people bringing in their thoughts, so it will be too compicated if all the media and the fans and everyone else had an opinion on what it should sound like etc.
makes sense huh.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Tool is still reaching for the peek. The next album will determine Tool's gradual rising or fall. I think that it'll be better rather than worse.

UtUmNo1
03-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Return of the King (yeah I thought that was just gonna be the greatest movie ever it was far from it).

Please tell me you're not serious

Tyson
03-17-2005, 03:18 AM
I skipped through songs like the grudge and reflection so i could listen to what they were playing on the radio, schism and lateralus.

How the fuck do you skip from reflection to schism?

Don't you mean you start the cd over?

Tyson
03-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Many believe (me included) AEnema to be far superior than Lateralus (a few songs excepted).

*Shakes your hand*

You have come far young padawan, you may now remove the signature and stand as your own.

diogenes
03-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Every great band jumps the shark eventually.
Nonsense.

Every great band that continues making music past the point that they are active participants in the musicking process, and instead coast along on safe territory, jumps the shark.

Great, or non-great, bands that know when to quit do so before they jump the shark at all. A great example is king crimson- they've been around since 69, but fripp broke up the band at least four times, when he felt the need fulfilled by the band had disappeared.

Estevan
03-17-2005, 05:04 AM
How much do we get from you if it doesn't suck?I will give each and every one of you a Dirty Sanchez!

Estevan
03-17-2005, 05:08 AM
I admit that the first time around i heard lateralus i was blinded from its true meaning. I went through the exact same process, after having already been a huge TOOL fan. I just didn't get it at first.

I now have a completely different respect for the music then when i first heard it, this also goes for the mars volta (which i hated at first due to cedric's voice but now understand sooo much more).. These epic albums truely are spinners, which require intense listening to fully hear and understand what the music is trying to portray.I went through this process as well, down to being turned off my Cedric's voice at first.

Estevan
03-17-2005, 05:29 AM
obviously you don't.By trusting them, I mean that I will gladly go to the record store and purchace any CD or DVD they put out, and I'll do it blindly. I don't need to listen to it first, I don't need to read reviews, I don't need to come here to see what people think of it. I trust that they'll have done top quality work, and it will be worth whatever it costs. The same goes for concert tickets, I know I'll see a great show that's worth my entertainment dollar (although I hear they'll never be coming to my town again. ) I can't say that for a lot of bands. I will not buy music blindly, I've been burned on that too many times. It doesn't matter to me that I enjoyed some band's previous effort, I won't buy their latest until I know it's not crap. That's why I appreciate how Dredg sold me their albulms.

1) I heard about them on this board
2) I checked out their website, where through a proprietary player I was able to listen to each full song.
3) I liked it - I purchased it - and their previous release.

I think all bands should show this type of respect and understanding for potential fans/buyers of their music. A lot of the privacy issues could be resolved, in my opinion, simply by understanding the concept that consumers don't want to blindly pay for junk, but once they have established a desire for it, they'll gladly pay hard earned ducats for it - and be happy to have compensated the artist for their hard work.

The music industry instead would rather push a song down your throat over the radio so you pay $15 for it and 60 additional minutes of junk.

Sorry for the rant.

ARMZ
03-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Less talk, more sucking.

TheHolyGift
03-17-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm confident it won't suck, in my opinion all the albums have exceeded the prior in ass-kickery. And A Perfect Circle is going strong (yes, even emotive) so Maynard clearly nowhere near the end of the line.

Tyson
03-17-2005, 06:34 AM
It's all open to personal opinion so this thread is useless.

Estevan
03-17-2005, 06:41 AM
It's all open to personal opinion so this thread is useless.Keep in mind, some people think evolution is complete bullshit, while others think religious accounts of human origins are bullshit.

If sharing opinion is useless, why even have "The Tool Page: Opinion" at all?

EVERYTHING is open to personal opinion so your post is useless.

Tyson
03-17-2005, 06:45 AM
I knew my post was useless and was even going to state that fact but why state the obvious. I was talking about music i.e. art not evolution, religon or any other subject you want to throw in there, but once again, am I just stating the obvious?

cureformax
03-17-2005, 07:13 AM
It's all open to personal opinion so this thread is useless.

Wayne: "It will be good. Oh yes, it will be good."

Besides, look at APC's stuff. Based on their last release everything will work out just fine...oh shit!

cureformax
03-17-2005, 07:15 AM
And I'm pretty sure that you mean "jump ship," unless you're from Australia or some other God-forsaken country where people literally ride on top of sharks and then jump off of them when the going gets rough.

WTF

Estevan
03-17-2005, 08:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark

Believer
03-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Please tell me you're not serious
Yeah I know it was a crazy thing to think.

cureformax
03-17-2005, 08:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark

Wow! ::tips hat::

herrhav0k
03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't think Maynard can hit the notes that he used to. They're aging.

SmallWangedMan
03-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Crimson hasn't jumped the shark. Zeppelin didn't. Beatles didn't. Most do, but there is some exceptions.

MasterOfKtulu109
03-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the only way it could suck is if they let their egos dictate which direction the music should go instead of going with pure artistic genius.

Which will not happen. I am confident.

They have been writing the music for these songs for a year now. They have to be somewhat decent I would think.

5th Eye
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
...I admit that the first time around i heard lateralus i was blinded from its true meaning. I skipped through songs like the grudge and reflection so i could listen to what they were playing on the radio, schism and lateralus. I now have a completely different respect for the music then when i first heard it...Same here; I didn't get Lateralus at all when I first heard it, and only wanted to hear the ones like Parabola (the first I heard, on the radio). But now I appreciate the whole thing and I've never tired of it yet.

Estevan
03-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Also, Danny said that one of the new songs is his favorite to dateMetallica was very proud of St. Anger also.

Tyson
03-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Bob Rock told them to be proud of it.

Now if only Bob Rock would jump off a cliff.

5th Eye
03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Now if only Bob Rock would jump off a cliff.PLEASE!!!! St. Anger sucked so bad that it was worse than not being funny. The first time I heard that song on the radio, I kept thinking, "Okay, there'll be some more lyrics and some different riffs soon." Then there weren't. Fortunately, I don't like Metallica anyway, so I wasn't disappointed.

UtUmNo1
03-19-2005, 11:56 PM
PLEASE!!!! St. Anger sucked so bad that it was worse than not being funny. The first time I heard that song on the radio, I kept thinking, "Okay, there'll be some more lyrics and some different riffs soon." Then there weren't. Fortunately, I don't like Metallica anyway, so I wasn't disappointed.

I was the same. I waited and waited and waited. Bought the album, waited for a solo, waited for guitar harmonies, waited for something that wasn't shit . . .

Tyson
03-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Didi anyone else see 'Some kind of monster' and was sickend by how much muscle Bob Rock has in the band.

Dear god.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Didi anyone else see 'Some kind of monster' and was sickend by how much muscle Bob Rock has in the band.

Dear god.
Metallica is now a joke. It's not what it used to be. They definitely jumped the shark.

5th Eye
03-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I was the same. I waited and waited and waited. Bought the album, waited for a solo, waited for guitar harmonies, waited for something that wasn't shit . . .I didn't buy it. I downloaded a few tracks, which were equally bad. It's not even worth having the store pay you to take it.

el rancho ovulate
03-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I didn't buy it. I downloaded a few tracks, which were equally bad. It's not even worth having the store pay you to take it.

I'd take it.

UtUmNo1
03-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I can handle Frantic. It could have been really good but its just average.

Naga Royal Guard
03-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Metallica is now a joke. It's not what it used to be. They definitely jumped the shark.

they should retire soon

Red Eye Jedi
03-20-2005, 04:56 PM

I don't think you said 'jump the shark' enough... three times in one post is pretty weak.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I can handle Frantic. It could have been really good but its just average.
Frantic tic tic tic toc..... oh please. I don't think any Metallica fan from the eighties would have predicted they'd degenerate so badly.

they should retire soon
They should've retired after Reload and saved some face with a farewell S&M. Although Garage Inc. was rather interesting the concept seemed to be a few albums late. So it's argueable whether they should've retired after Reload or S&M. St. Anger blows chunks and I wasted $15.

UtUmNo1
03-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Frantic tic tic tic toc..... oh please. I don't think any Metallica fan from the eighties would have predicted they'd degenerate so badly.

They should've retired after Reload and saved some face with a farewell S&M. Although Garage Inc. was rather interesting the concept seemed to be a few albums late. So it's argueable whether they should've retired after Reload or S&M. St. Anger blows chunks and I wasted $15.

I agree with what you say SLH. I don't think Frantic is good when compared to their discography, only with St Anger. Best of a bad bunch. I remember when I heard the opening riff I was fucken excited as I remember saying it sounds a bit like Slayer. Then . . .

Estevan
03-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't think you said 'jump the shark' enough... three times in one post is pretty weak...... you just jumped the shark ...

Anjerasu
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
i love how they were wearing beanies and baggy pants like skaters in the video for st anger.

It's like the video director got the band all together and said

right guys theres this new style on the go you have to wear loose clothes, all the kids in the mall are doing it just look at Sum41... you know Sum41 right... yeah so they sell albums... james put the whiskey down... man are you even listening... c'mon 'solos?' thats soooo 80's... what you want is that repetitive beat like that European dance music they're all into... yeah thats right... the kids love baggy dance pants... no Tony Hawk can't be on the video... etcetera

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-22-2005, 12:46 AM
It's like the video director got the band all together and said

right guys theres this new style on the go you have to wear loose clothes, all the kids in the mall are doing it just look at Sum41... you know Sum41 right... yeah so they sell albums... james put the whiskey down... man are you even listening... c'mon 'solos?' thats soooo 80's... what you want is that repetitive beat like that European dance music they're all into... yeah thats right... the kids love baggy dance pants... no Tony Hawk can't be on the video... etcetera
...and try something new for a change. That metalhead aggression just has to go. Try to make hamster faces in your video James and loosen up a bit. [See St. Anger video for clarification]

Anjerasu
03-22-2005, 04:52 AM
I actually forget who said it, but apparently the video for St Anger was filmed in their own private little jail where they keep the best "macho man randy savage" look-e-likeys as their slave... also the reason they were incarcerated was to do with the fact that they were the ones downloading Metallica off Napster... grrr

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-22-2005, 04:57 AM
I actually forget who said it, but apparently the video for St Anger was filmed in their own private little jail where they keep the best "macho man randy savage" look-e-likeys as their slave... also the reason they were incarcerated was to do with the fact that they were the ones downloading Metallica off Napster... grrr
Man did those kids grow fast in jail during the past 3-4 years. It's amazing what jail time does to a man.

Anjerasu
03-22-2005, 04:59 AM
It's amazing what jail time does to a man.

Well I dunno, but I think if your getting stuffed you'll grow faster???... This was more of a reply for the sake of replying?

Estevan
04-23-2005, 05:22 PM
That dumb April Fool's joke was a perfect example of how the band is simply getting old and boring. There's nothing new under the sun for them.

Estevan
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Have you seen the Family Guy Episode where Chris keeps asking Meg to guess what word he's linking of? She answers 'kitty', he says that's not it. She gives up and he replies 'It was kitty!'

That's what this year's dumb April Fool's joke was like.

Perseensilmä
04-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I think they should concentrate on the new album instead of making April fool´s jokes.

Nith Sahor
04-24-2005, 02:24 PM
What I don't understand is why the band finds it fun to mess around with their fans. Is it really that entertaining?

el rancho ovulate
04-24-2005, 02:29 PM
What I don't understand is why the band finds it fun to mess around with their fans. Is it really that entertaining?
Yes

5th Eye
04-24-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd imagine so...we're still going to give them money, they won't care.

Nith Sahor
04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
But doesn't it get old after a while? There were people who believed the Maynard-Jesus thing, but then again there were a lot of people who saw through it.

el rancho ovulate
04-24-2005, 03:39 PM
The band didn't even start the Maynard Jesus thing.. That was Blair..

eulogy508
04-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Tool's Master of Puppets was probably AEnima, because it was their biggest commercial breakthrough to date, and was loved not just by diehard fans. Lateralus could be their ...And Justice For All, because it was more progressive and took things in a somewhat different direction. Maybe the next one will be their "black album"....

5th Eye
04-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Even though I don't know where you're going with that, you're comparing Tool to Metallica and that just makes me want to vomit profusely. Please stop.

searchforme
04-25-2005, 09:03 AM
There's one reason why bands eventually start to suck: lack of artistic control. Go read Adam/Justin's article in the June 2001 issue of Guitar World. I think Adam makes a great point in that article. Most bands start out knowing exactly who they want to be as artists, but eventually the business/market aspect of music adds a lot of pressure to a group and they begin to listen to record execs who are just trying to make money as fast as possible. When bands start listening to these outside influences, that's when things go to hell (see Bob Rock re: Metallica).
I don't think that applies to Tool at all. I honestly think Tool would quit before making a mediocre album. So don't worry.

Tree

bingo-bango-bongo

That dumb April Fool's joke was a perfect example of how the band is simply getting old and boring. There's nothing new under the sun for them.

and you think that they give two shi.ts about what you think? i'm sure they would be delighted to loose you as a fan...

Tool's Master of Puppets was probably AEnima, because it was their biggest commercial breakthrough to date, and was loved not just by diehard fans. Lateralus could be their ...And Justice For All, because it was more progressive and took things in a somewhat different direction. Maybe the next one will be their "black album"....

*uncontrolable vomit*......

*and more*

you just compared Tools progression as musicians to Metalica? what is this world coming to?

Estevan
04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
and you think that they give two shi.ts about what you think? i'm sure they would be delighted to loose you as a fan...No, I don't think they care about what I think. I never suggested that I do. I like the band's music, so I come here and talk about it sometimes. After that, I don't really give a shit about them either.

Losing fans means losing $$. Im pretty sure that after we've purchased their records and concert tickets, they really don't give two shits about any of us.

UtUmNo1
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM

Good point.

I like this.

I also like the fact that it makes others here cringe

eulogy508
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Good point.

I like this.

Thank you.

To idiots who vomited: Jesus Christ, I wasn't saying Metallica are as good as Tool, or whatever the fuck you might think I was trying to say. I was just comparing two different bands. Now get of your high TOOL horse and start acting mature for once.

Perseensilmä
04-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Tool is the Metallica of math metal.

eulogy508
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
^He's right

5th Eye
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Okay fine. I'm sorry.

searchforme
04-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Okay fine. I'm sorry.

n3rd...

*vomits on UtUmno*

Riicek
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm confident it won't suck, in my opinion all the albums have exceeded the prior in ass-kickery. And A Perfect Circle is going strong (yes, even emotive) so Maynard clearly nowhere near the end of the line.
I'd say APC jumped the shark a while ago.

Riicek
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Good point.

I like this.

It only makes people cringe because they don't want to admit that Tool is on the same track as Metallica.

Come on. You know it's true.

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 01:42 PM
*revels in vomit*

Something about a tool high horse . . .

krumz
04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I hope this doesnt happen with tool...
i remember being completely dissappointed after hearing to St.Anger from Metallica after a long wait...and then i stopped hearing metallica...

Perseensilmä
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM
*vomits* because everyone else are vomitting around here.

morgoth's shadow
04-26-2005, 01:56 PM
i just remembered "stand by me". the scene where the kid is telling the story about the fat guy at the pie-eating contest.

tool will never suck, it's simply not possible. they'll retire if they ever feel like they do.

5th Eye
04-26-2005, 03:01 PM
If Tool releases a St. Anger-type album...then the world will end.

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't think any said anything about the new Tool album sounding like ST Anger.

Merely a comparison in regards to the bands progression in its work.

5th Eye
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes yes I know that, BUT if the progression continues then Tool will eventually release a St. Anger-ish album.

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Will Maynard go to rehab?

5th Eye
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes...though why I cannot yet see...

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
his fetish for raping little brown animals

Tyson
04-26-2005, 04:22 PM
It only makes people cringe because they don't want to admit that Tool is on the same track as Metallica.

Come on. You know it's true.

I've been saying that for ages.

dfbovey
04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Lets face it, most bands peak fairly early in their career . Metallica for instance (lets not start another Metallica bashing thread; its only an example) certainly peaked with their 3rd album Master of Puppets.

To me, they hit their peak with And Justice For All. After that it was a downward slide.

Tyson
04-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I like the black album.

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
...Justice rocks

0ne /V\ind
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
DONT EVER COMPARE METALLICA WITH TOOL EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tyson
04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Justice for all is one of Metallica's most complex albums, just as Lateralus was for Tool.

Hmmm, Tools next album maybe there black album?

MasterOfKtulu109
04-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Danny has said it is heavier than Lateralus, so being the 'black album' would not seem right, since the black album was not heavier than metallica's previous ones

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Justice for all is one of Metallica's most complex albums, just as Lateralus was for Tool.

good thinking

Tyson
04-26-2005, 09:34 PM
You expect me to read previous posts?

UtUmNo1
04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I guess you have a point

Tyson
04-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Tool have even drawn comparisons between themselves and Metallica.

It really isn't hard to do, a great underground metal band goes huge, just a matter of time.

paraflux
04-27-2005, 06:05 AM

Justice... complex? Perhaps it was sort of intricate, but there are so many things about that album that are complete turn-offs, first of all the production was the worst for any Metallica record except perhaps Kill Em All.

Sad But True - describes why metallica did what they did in becoming commercial. Tool does not have those reasons, they are already sitting atop commercial success regardless of the fact that they turn their noses up at the industry constantly.

5th Eye
04-27-2005, 08:23 AM
You expect me to read previous posts?Yes.

the usual
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
metallica and tool are two completly different animals.
The new album will impress some and disapoint some.
But one thing it can't and won't do is suck.
c'mon it's tool.
Even if it's not what you expect,It will still inspire and motivate.

Isac Khrondor
04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I think this new album will define thier carrer as musicians, mark my words.

Perseensilmä
04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I think that they are going to release it on a plastic disc. Mark my words.

UtUmNo1
04-27-2005, 01:53 PM

To take this one step further, Opiate/Kill 'em All and Undertow/Ride the Lightning could also be said to be similiar.

Opiate was the breakthrough, it had good songs although a little rough, Tool becomes a popular underground band with no commercial exposure. Ditto Metallica.

Undertow took the band in a slightly different direction and contains two of the fans favourite(generalisation)songs:Prison Sex(For Whom the Bell Tolls) and Sober (Fade to Black). This album increased popularity but it was to be another album before the breakthrough . . .see above quote to continue . . .

Sad But True - describes why metallica did what they did in becoming commercial. Tool does not have those reasons

Call me slow but care to elaborate 'Flux?

DeRais
04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
So the next Tool album will be chalked full of shitty ballads,thus marking the beginning of the downfall into "mainstream" Then they will do a song for a movie, cut their hair, have an album with an orchestra, and then seal their fate with the release of the shittiest album ever done in the genre...

Ming
04-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I'll like it no matter how much it sucks because I'm a fanboi

UtUmNo1
04-27-2005, 02:24 PM
To further this theme the new album will be called, "Refractionoid".

Estevan
04-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with Tool being like Metallica, but rather just aging in general. Old people don't rock, typically. The older you get, the lamer your music becomes to the youngsters.

I can see Maynard in the studio about to lay down his big scream when he complains to the engineer "Turn that music down! You don't have to play it so loud ya know!"

DeRais
04-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Speaking of old geezers trying to rock, you know Cream is getting back together...

UtUmNo1
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
but what about the album name "Refractionoid"...?

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
04-28-2005, 01:58 AM
comparing two bands is for pussies

placidium
04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
The new album will definately be hard to take in all at once.

Nothing has really happened for the band to get washed up; they didn't quit using drugs, all of the members are still there, none of them got fat, and none of them have had any kids (Maynard is still the only one). Those are that things that happened as Metallica got washed up.

Estevan
04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
I saw an interview with the band where Maynard comented about Linkin Park, it was very negative and his comment was along the lines of "I don't see how anyone considers that music"..... well no matter if you think Linkin Park is a good band or not, that kind of elitists attitude is directly in conflict with the great messages Maynard and Tool have given their fans over the years. It was shallow and petty, and in my opinion, his first sign of "Jumping the Shark".

dfbovey
04-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Yes yes I know that, BUT if the progression continues then Tool will eventually release a St. Anger-ish album.

That's assuming that Metallica = Tool

I think most would agree that Tool > Metallica by a pretty wide margin.

And it's not a given that they will follow the same path as Metallica. Metallica started as a garage band and they have a bizarre love affair with their past in that regard. St Anger was a stipped down piece of crap and a failed homage to their roots.

Metallica is a band that's lost their way and come full circle. Tool is a focused machine with a tendancy towards progression and never looking back... and I cant' see them regressing.

MeThoD
04-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Usually when bands go down is once they sell out, at which point they have their moment of fame, and hit the bottom a couple albums later. Tool have yet to do that. And since every other album has been good, I have no reason to think the new one would be any different.

UtUmNo1
04-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Usually when bands go down is once they sell out,

'I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, dip shit and you bought one.'

5th Eye
04-30-2005, 07:28 AM
*slap*

eulogy508
04-30-2005, 11:33 AM

pwned..?

Svucktar
04-30-2005, 12:54 PM
they have the power to make all of us who wear tool shirts feel pretty shitty, kinda like nine inch nails did.

eulogy508
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
^Huh?

UtUmNo1
04-30-2005, 03:44 PM
pwned..?

I reckon.

rochey-o
05-05-2005, 05:54 PM
its gonna suck.so far this year:

soad: sucks
nin: sucks

x7 Lateralus 7x
05-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I think all of you think too much, and that we should bring back this thread after the album is realeased. =D

Meep~

eulogy508
05-05-2005, 07:03 PM
^not possible

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
05-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Agreed. Due to the presumption in the title of this thread:

"I bet it >>WILL<< suck."

GelatiCruiser
05-06-2005, 06:20 AM
hahaha....even if it sucks (which is an impossibility), I'm going to soak it up. But....a side question...do you think it's the band's sound that changes, or your tastes that change?

Estevan
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Young men to into old men that no longer rock. Simple as that.

GelatiCruiser
05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Well have fun not liking it. And if it sucks for you, then I'll come back and say "You were right"....but I'm going to enjoy the butthole out of the new album. That's right....the butthole.

Estevan
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it the day it comes out.. And if it rocks ... well I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong ... I'm just worried.

Zeus
05-17-2005, 04:53 PM
How many times can you say "every great band jumps the shark" in one post?

UtUmNo1
05-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Speedy you are.

ATARI
05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
thats it
it's all over for us tool fans
let's jump ship and invest our money in beany baby stocks

DeRais
05-17-2005, 06:14 PM

edit: audioslave: partially sucks

el rancho ovulate
05-17-2005, 07:51 PM

yeah, but those bands suck by default

TMV: rules
Porcupine Tree: rules

Estevan
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Nobody showed up at Danny's party, which means TOOL is just a band that plays music. They're just as vunerable to sucking as every other band throughout time (yes, that's right, even Mili Vanili)

5th Eye
05-18-2005, 08:24 AM
yeah, but those bands suck by defaultTrue. There are a lot of kickass bands releasing CDs this year. Using my precognitive skillz:

Strapping Young Lad: rules
The Mars Volta: almost rules (Nevermind that you already said them.)
Symphony X: will rule
In Flames: will also rule
Opeth: will rule all of them

So there.

Fap
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
I think the new queens of the stone age is pretty good. I didn't know what to make of it at first, but it really grew on me.

blue/shimmering
05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
i wouldnt have much faith in this album, but.....

remember Aenima? remember thinking "theres no fucking way that they can make an album better than Aenima... not possible. it's just too good." and they went and made Lateralus. a masterpiece in every respect.

seriously. if they can top anything as incredible as Aenima, they can do it again for Lateralus.

Svucktar
05-19-2005, 10:46 AM
lateralus was not better than aenima

5th Eye
05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes it is.

Ming
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
The downfall of every good band that has fallen to suckdom is that they've a) become a parody of themselves by trying to live up to some perceived expectation, or b) releasing something so radically different from any expectation as to alienate their fans. The perceived expectation of Tool is basically "psychedelic / tribal metal." If they put out another such release (and it's fairly safe to say they will, especially considering the leaked info is that the next one will be heavier than Lateralus) I have no idea how any Tool fan could be disappointed.

On the other hand, if they did put out some experimental release noise album or something- well I for one can honestly say I'd probably like it. The only thing Tool could do to alienate me is put out ... hmm thinking about the possibilities.

Top 10 things that Tool could release that might suck:

10. Britney Spears cover album: I think .. no I know i'd love it
9. Moby/ Oakenfold produced techno album : hmm.. I don't see how this would be possible- but somehow I can't imagine it sucking if it did. Obviously it would have to have live drum tracks- would probably be bad ass.
8. All acoustic project with homemade instruments: time to break out the weed.
7. Greatful dead cover tribute with special guests Phish, Blues Traveller, and Hootie from Hootie and the Blowfish: Umm. Ok maybe i might get a little pissed off if I ever stopped laughing about it. I'd still buy it and frame the unopened package as art.
6. A concept album that syncronized with the movie Jerry Maguire. Again, time to break out the weed, and the DVD/stereo remotes -of course.
5. Album of St. Anger covers. Hmm could it suck? I'll bet it would rock, actually. I can just see Metallica looking at each other, heads cocked like dogs listening hearing an odd sound.
4. Members of Tool pooping sounds?
3. Tool doing all acapella, barber shop quartet sunday school songs.
2. Album where they all trade instruments with Danny singing.
1. A Very Best of Tool album.

Carny_Handles
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Top 10 things that Tool could release that might suck:

10. Britney Spears cover album: I think .. no I know i'd love it
9. Moby/ Oakenfold produced techno album : hmm.. I don't see how this would be possible- but somehow I can't imagine it sucking if it did. Obviously it would have to have live drum tracks- would probably be bad ass.
8. All acoustic project with homemade instruments: time to break out the weed.
7. Greatful dead cover tribute with special guests Phish, Blues Traveller, and Hootie from Hootie and the Blowfish: Umm. Ok maybe i might get a little pissed off if I ever stopped laughing about it. I'd still buy it and frame the unopened package as art.
6. A concept album that syncronized with the movie Jerry Maguire. Again, time to break out the weed, and the DVD/stereo remotes -of course.
5. Album of St. Anger covers. Hmm could it suck? I'll bet it would rock, actually. I can just see Metallica looking at each other, heads cocked like dogs listening hearing an odd sound.
4. Members of Tool pooping sounds?
3. Tool doing all acapella, barber shop quartet sunday school songs.
2. Album where they all trade instruments with Danny singing.
1. A Very Best of Tool album.

Im hoping the members of tool can be so creative and encompass all those elements and create a masterpiece.

Ming
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Im hoping the members of tool can be so creative and encompass all those elements and create a masterpiece.

As you can see, the worse they could do is rehash the lame old kick ass stuff and pretty much everthing they could do would be entertaining. Then again, when I was a boy I thought the same of Rush and they later put out albums I never even bothered listening to, let alone buying. And I still love their body of work, btw- just am uninspired by the later stuff which bored me to tears.

bluefire
05-20-2005, 02:20 PM
The only way the CD could suck is if the band starts believing some of the things their fans say about them i.e. they have everything in the world figured out, they are the best band in the history of music, their songs are metaphores for 5 different subjects, etc. I honestly imagine that the only way it could suck is if it is cheesily deep and complex, like they are forcing their image too much. Otherwise, Im sure the CD will be awesome, because the band wouldn't release it otherwise.

Estevan
06-28-2005, 11:22 AM
After having to read all of these stupid threads gussing when the new CD will come out, I realized this was the most relevant thread in the forum.

Because after all of this annoying waiting and speculation, I still bet it will suck.

Estevan
07-13-2005, 07:03 AM
From TOOLBAND.COM:

11 Jul 05
T00L OUT OF THE STUDIO

Quick update .. T00L is almost finished with the new CD, and it does in fact suck.
Also, I'm a drunken idiot.
More to come.
BMB

Odibilëph
07-13-2005, 07:29 AM
http://www.amandabeard.net/images/PhotoGallery/Olympics/Amanda-silver-thumbs%20up.jpg

SmallWangedMan
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.amandabeard.net/images/PhotoGallery/Olympics/Amanda-silver-thumbs%20up.jpg

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

SmallWangedMan
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh wait, that's a person.

5th Eye
07-13-2005, 09:14 AM
No, not quite.

AloneOnceAgain97
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
OK, instead of calling this guy an idiot... Why don't we be open-minded and accept the possibility that Tool's next album may very well be complete and total bullshit? I recall Metallica sheep talking about how good "St. Anger" was going to be... How it was going to bring them back. Now the only people that still like Metallica are those who are too damn ignorant to see that Metallica sold out LOOOONG ago and don't even give a fuck about their studio time because they KNOW those idiots are out there. "Fuck all 'Tallica haters! *prong/headbang* "

Edit: Fuck! I didn't read far enough into the thread to realize that St. Anger has already been beet to death. Oh well, call my post overkill I guess.

they should retire soon
No, they should be executed soon... Either that or have their arms cut off so they may never again make music.

Odibilëph
07-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Meh, Metallica was never good.

Estevan
07-14-2005, 09:29 AM
OK, instead of calling this guy an idiot....You're 16, which means you're half a fuckin' retard. You can't call anybody an idiot and expect to be taken seriously.

Lebowski
07-14-2005, 10:00 AM
hmm... I consider myself a fan, but geez... whats with all the hostility people?

AloneOnceAgain97
07-14-2005, 10:03 AM
You're 16, which means you're half a fuckin' retard. You can't call anybody an idiot and expect to be taken seriously.
Shows how well you can read. I never called you an idiot, you cock-suck, I was actually on your side about the whole thing. You're 49, so instead of jumping to conclusions like a prepubescent child, why don't you actually read my post next time? I hope I've made myself clear enough here.

Making fun of someone's age, by the way, shows how ignorant one truely is; just because someone is 16 or 18 or 25 doesn't mean that they are any less smart than their 50-year old counterpart (especially considering the brain deteriorates with age), correct? And if you refuse to admit it, you just prove your ignorance even more.

placidium
10-29-2005, 11:00 AM
This album will be good, I mean, DC's drumming is better than ever. That's basically what matters.

5th Eye
10-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Let's hope. Even if it's not better, I'll still be impressed.

killershears
10-29-2005, 06:56 PM
You have progeria too? And your parents dumped you at a Tool concert, so you'll get to see like two songs, and then you're gonna be fuckin' dead?

LMAO I saw that video...They played The Grudge.

placidium
10-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Let's hope. Even if it's not better, I'll still be impressed.

It is dude. Just listen to his jams, especially the one with VOLTO! on their myspace page, 3rd from the top. If he can make that up off the top of his head, imagine what he can do in a year, with his own kit.

5th Eye
10-30-2005, 04:53 AM
Yep, sounds like Danny...

Estevan
11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't even care when they release it, because it's going to suck.

ARMZ
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
LOL that video is great, "HERE'S TOOL YOU FUCKING ******S!!!" and everyone cheers.

Yup the new album will suck immensely, it's the DVD I'm looking forward to, one DVD to rule them all! or at least my DVD player which is a PS2.

killershears
11-05-2005, 04:01 AM
...and mine which is a Dell computer with a 1024x768 resolution on a 17-inch screen that isn't even my own PC (my own pc has no dvd drive)

By then, I might have me a nice DVD playback kit for my xbox.

Estevan
04-09-2006, 03:12 PM
After listening to the leak, I've come to the conclusion I was correct on this. The new record, 10,000 Days (if that's really what it's called) is going to be T00L's St. Anger. All that hype and waiting for nothing.

You heard it here first folks, I called it.

MoreTool
04-09-2006, 03:14 PM
so you got that leak??? any proof of this?

dissonance19
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
so you got that leak??? any proof of this?

it was probably doom 3 or that crap sounding demo the other day.

zweitracht
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
After listening to the leak...

*BULLSHIT DETECTOR ASPLODE*

oneredflag
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
How many times do we have to go through this?
If there was a real Leak, the fanboys at this site would be on it like flies on shit.
Also Metallica had been "in Decline" for years prior to St Angar.

ObviousParadox
04-09-2006, 03:56 PM
After listening to the leak, I've come to the conclusion I was correct on this. The new record, 10,000 Days (if that's really what it's called) is going to be T00L's St. Anger. All that hype and waiting for nothing.

wasn't actually the leak. READ.

slicknickshady
04-09-2006, 03:57 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mr C
04-09-2006, 04:18 PM

You started off optimistic with this thread and now because of other people's opinions and some bullshit little leak, your "ST Angering" the album.

Have some faith. There's not many bands that take the time tool do to make sure off the quality.

eonphi
04-09-2006, 04:56 PM
i think tool have got better each time they release a new album

opiate<undertow<aenima<lateralus?10000 days

i don't think they'll let us down

Estevan
04-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't think they'll make it suck on purpose, but they're much older now. A lot of that energy is gone or focused on other things (winemaking, etc.)

Howard
04-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Sure sure, the new album will suck, all the information are hoax, now stop with these stupid threads about how something will be without hearing a thing.

Estevan, oh, you're right, in four years they've wasted all they're energy, and can't make good songs anymore =D

HalfASandwidch
04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
i think tool have got better each time they release a new album

opiate<undertow<aenima<lateralus?10000 days

i don't think they'll let us down
Then maybe that "?", should be a "<" ?

Exoskeletal
04-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I trust my intuition, 10,000 Days will blow me away.
If it doesn't then I'll say that Andy King doesn't have a clue of what good music is and Adam Jones is a piece of shit from what he said in Guitar World.

Edit: PS: I just heard VOLTO!, I was stunned by that guitar and Danny is playin like hell.

rochey-o
04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
all the information are hoax,

all your base are belong to us

Howard
04-09-2006, 05:50 PM
My english is not that good, so what? (:

Exoskeletal, where did you heard VOLTO!?

PhatFiend
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
all rochey-o are hoax

PhatFiend
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
We can only hope that this album lives up to St. Anger's standard.

Long Live BOB ROCK.

rochey-o
04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
after the lecture the all the information are hoax,

PhatFiend
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
after the information are hoax, the talk to her

oneredflag
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
We can only hope that this album lives up to St. Anger's standard.

Long Live BOB ROCK.
Hahahahahahah very very funny! long live Metallica's 5th member.

NAILS
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Tool already jumped the shark. Lateralus was a big disappointment. I personally don't have any expectations for this album.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Why are you here then?

Exoskeletal
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Exoskeletal, where did you heard VOLTO!?
Right here:
http://www.myspace.com/VOLTO

PS: By the way... check this Portuguese band from my zone, they are pretty good, especially if you like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. A litle publicity here wouldn't hurt anybody, would it?
http://www.myspace.com/rebellionsenclave

NAILS
04-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Why are you here then?
I am a glutton for punishment.

ATARI
04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
you've come to the right place

Estevan
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
At least this thread is actually about the new album, and not just another "Hey guys, what new instuments would you like T00L to introduce, pan flute or diggeradoo?" Like 90% of the pointless fluff in this forum.

I really think this will be T00L suck record, and I want you all to say "I told you so" when I'm right.

Mr C
04-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Your expectations created your dissappointment,sir!

Mr C
04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I really think i'll turn out to look like a doodle, and I want you all to say "I told you so" when I'm right.

I'll tell you now if you want.

oneredflag
04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
At least this thread is actually about the new album, and not just another "Hey guys, what new instuments would you like T00L to introduce, pan flute or diggeradoo?" Like 90% of the pointless fluff in this forum.

I really think this will be T00L suck record, and I want you all to say "I told you so" when I'm right.

Or "Man I am an idiot" when you are wrong

Xariable
04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
They're too full of themselves to play anything but original music. There will be no ::imagine sloppy Hetfield imitation:: "Are you feeling 'Patient Too".
I do see people, however, liking the "old Tool" a few years from now. I'm content as long as the new Tool isn't making-bucks-off-our-now-formulated-and-predictable-sound Tool.

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Thats the spirit, champ!

Either way you win. If it sucks, you get to say I told you so. If it rules, you get an awsome new Tool album.

Personally, I don't care about the new album anymore. I'm bored of talking about it. It'll probably end up letting us all down quite a bit because we've all hyped the shit out of it.

CHILI PEPPERS FTW!

liquidswordz
04-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Personally, I don't care about the new album anymore.

is that why your on these forums 24 hours a day? lol

weak&weary
04-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I think we all spend a little too much time here.

BeeoBee
04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
i tell you what..all this suspense that has been built up waiting for the album to come out..it's never gonna meet people's expectations..at least the ones that have discovered tool from lateralus..only the true tool fans..the one's from the very beginning..are gonna see it for what it is..tool putting their blood sweat and tears into a bad ass record..it's not that i can't wait for the album to come out..it's that i can't wait for it to come out and blow me away..just like every album before it

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I work fulltime, so no, I'm not here 24 hours a day. I probably average 2 hours a day, on and off... usually I'm browsing around TDN whenever I'm on my computer. And I don't hang out in the New Album section nearly as much anymore. It got boring.

PhatFiend
04-09-2006, 07:51 PM
i tell you what..all this suspense that has been built up waiting for the album to come out..it's never gonna meet people's expectations..at least the ones that have discovered tool from lateralus..only the true tool fans..the one's from the very beginning..are gonna see it for what it is..tool putting their blood sweat and tears into a bad ass record..it's not that i can't wait for the album to come out..it's that i can't wait for it to come out and blow me away..just like every album before it
Fuck, I wish I were a 'true fan'.

Anyway, most of the people here are going to jump onto this album like Oprah to a bucket of fried chicken. I've seen some of the responses to possible leaks and other "Toolish" fake songs and it's almost sad how in love we are in hearing something similar to Tool (I include myself in this group).

Though, there will always be those 'non-conformist types'..

martyrinexile86
04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
It's utterly inconcievable that a band as great as Tool could ever suck, they have too much artistic integrity to "jump the shark".

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
I hope the new record is terrible just so I can watch 'real' tool-fans such as yourself struggle to defend it, while us 'unreal' tool-fans go on with our lives listening to music we can get without dealing with a band as pretentious as Tool.

I honestly hope it sucks.

Edit:
It's utterly inconcievable that a band as great as Tool could ever suck, they have too much artistic integrity to "jump the shark".
SWEET! ANOTHER 'REAL' TOOL FAN!

dracomordag
04-09-2006, 08:00 PM
why the fuck does this thread still exist

Estevan
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
why the fuck does this thread still existBecause it's relevant - I know that's weird on this forum though so you're not used to it ....

Now I have a counter-question. Why don't you know basic grammar like punctuation and caplitalization? Did you not pay attention in school? Or did your instructors fail you?

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Because it's relevant - I know that's weird on this forum though so you're not used to it ....

Now I have a counter-question. Why don't you know basic grammar like punctuation and caplitalization? Did you not pay attention in school? Or did your instructors fail you?
o snap.

new millenium cyanide christ
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Because it's relevant - I know that's weird on this forum though so you're not used to it ....

instructors have failed us all...
so has science as SOAD say...

PS, ocelot, any decision about dropping out of school?

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
instructors have failed us all...
so has science as SOAD say...

PS, ocelot, any decision about dropping out of school?
I hate SOAD.

And yeah, I'm not gonna go back for this semester. I'm looking around for roommates right now.

I'm planning on going back to school next semester, though.

new millenium cyanide christ
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I hate SOAD.

And yeah, I'm not gonna go back for this semester. I'm looking around for roommates right now.

I'm planning on going back to school next semester, though.

just make sure you find roommates who like: a) tool b) hot chicks who like tool c) drugs

o, and yea, system are a tad "over rated" i suppose, but thats only because music sucks these days...

however, you should try seeing them live...excellent show...

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 08:16 PM
just make sure you find roommates who like: a) tool b) hot chicks who like tool c) drugs
I'm gay.

And the way its looking now, I'm gonna get a place with two of my best friends (both chicks).

o, and yea, system are a tad "over rated" i suppose, but thats only because music sucks these days...

I'd rather cheese-grade my fingers down to nothing, but thanks for the suggestion.

BeeoBee
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Ocelot199]I hope the new record is terrible just so I can watch 'real' tool-fans such as yourself struggle to defend it, while us 'unreal' tool-fans go on with our lives listening to music we can get without dealing with a band as pretentious as Tool.

did i say you weren't a real tool fan?!? what are you getting defensive about??

i'm not labeling anyone on this board..you either are a true fan or you are not..also..i'm not about to jump on this forum after the album comes out and say"see..i told you..the album rocks..didn't i bet a few of you it was gonna kick ass?!?" i could care less who likes it or not..i only care if my ears are gonna like it

and tool is pretentious?!?!
why?? cause they protect their music from being pirated?? would you want people to download your music before the album comes out and say"well..i already downloaded it..why buy it??"because no matter what most say..aLOT of people will do that..people on here are insane!! they are so ready to hear the single that they are getting ANGRY about it..thats rediculous and so are you Ocelot199..all i'm saying is name one band that has produced music that even comes close to what tool has made since lateralus..no..since AEnima..you can't!!
people just need to chill out..the single is probably gonna leak on friday and with all the press coming out on the 13th..we will have plenty of articles and stuff to keep us busy talkin about that the album will be here in no time..geez

Ocelot199
04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I love how most of the people making posts like the one before this one have a join date of sometime in the last 2 months.

So cute.

Watching and mentioning
04-09-2006, 10:32 PM
The only way the album will "suck" is if you expect it to be more than what it really is (yes, I know, what you're thinking and yes, I'm some sort of rocket scientist.)

The only thing I'm expecting from it is for it to be music. I honestly could care less if certain tracks resemble past tool songs or if lyrical content is similar to that in other songs. There are going to be aspects of the album (hopefully the entire thing) that give it a uniqueness and that will be enough for me. So if you don't expect much of anything from the album, how can it fail to meet your expectations?

F!end
04-09-2006, 10:36 PM
The only way the album will "suck" is if you expect it to be more than what it really is (yes, I know, what you're thinking and yes, I'm some sort of rocket scientist.)

The only thing I'm expecting from it is for it to be music. I honestly could care less if certain tracks resemble past tool songs or if lyrical content is similar to that in other songs. There are going to be aspects of the album (hopefully the entire thing) that give it a uniqueness and that will be enough for me. So if you don't expect much of anything from the album, how can it fail to meet your expectations?

what he said.

Opiate_Mass
04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Every great band jumps the shark eventually.
. you're wrong, what about pearl jam, Qotsa,rhcp, Vai, black label society, ministry, NIN ,etc?

lachrymoIogy
04-10-2006, 12:07 AM
there's no way the new album is going to suck. it may not live up to what your expectations are, if the pedestal you've built up is so high, but it most surely will not suck. imo every album has been better than the last, and i'm fairly certain the results will be the same. Aenema is not > than Lateralus. Third Eye > Lateralus. Lateralus > Aenema. Sorry, the music is a lot more complex and it's shaken off more of their dead skin of metal, and moving into more progy songs ( yet their heaviest song is on the album). I never understood why people dislike it so much. :: shrugs ::

Octopod
04-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Pretty much agree with lachrymology.

Misanthrope
04-10-2006, 05:51 AM
o, and yea, system are a tad "over rated" i suppose, but thats only because music sucks these days... Music is amazing these days.

5th Eye
04-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Music is amazing these days.Quoted for ultimate truth.

tooldude
04-10-2006, 06:15 AM
tool and suck dont belong in the same sentence....

TheRuleOfThree
04-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Music is amazing these days.

Agreed.

grizz441
04-10-2006, 10:48 AM
It's bullshit to think this album is going to suck. How has Tool ever done you wrong? You always should give someone who has a good track record the benefit of the doubt in whatever it may be in life. It's called trust and Tool has earned mine. I expect the album to be as brilliant as the rest of their work and to think it won't be is just being a Pessimist and that is no way to live.

Kudos to all who understand this.

BlairLicksTaint
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
/\ /\ Agreed

Watching and mentioning
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
tool and suck dont belong in the same sentence....

Hmm, I hate to disagree but I can think of 2 instances when the words would be in the same sentence.

1. (insert female derogatory term), suck my tool.

2. I'll have you know that tool doesn't suck.

orbitalchime
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
It's bullshit to think this album is going to suck. How has Tool ever done you wrong? You always should give someone who has a good track record the benefit of the doubt in whatever it may be in life. It's called trust and Tool has earned mine. I expect the album to be as brilliant as the rest of their work and to think it won't be is just being a Pessimist and that is no way to live.

Agreed. What basis would one have to say the new album is going to suck. Its a good thing tool isnt making the music to satisfy the people who think this way. Maybe if you just accept the direction tool is going in you can find elements of the music you can connect with and enjoy. I bet it will be epic.

Hannibal
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm' going into this with the smallest expectations. I just want a new CD, and I'm getting that. So I can't be disappointed.

NetEther
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Clearly.

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/2041.html

grizz441
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm' going into this with the smallest expectations. I just want a new CD, and I'm getting that. So I can't be disappointed.

Why would you not expect great things from Tool? Why are you going into the experience with the mentality of "not being disappointed" instead of "being blown away?"

I guess some people are just negative. I dont understand how you can live a happy life if you expect things to be shitty before you expect them to be great. Think about it.

Exoskeletal
04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Embrace whatever may come.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Embrace whatever may come.

AMEN

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I think it will be a great album. I dont think anything they do will ever top Aenema, but heres hoping.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 12:09 PM

I dont think SOAD is overrated. They are a great band, just a little different. And they are very good live.

Chancelor
04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Soad started out " a little different" kind of unique, and went down hill. hypnotize/mesmerize together or apart are garbage. and they should have been together. fuck them for making us poor folk buy two albums for the content of one.

tools album lengths rock. they dont let me down one bit, havnt yet and i doubt will soon.

NAILS
04-10-2006, 12:37 PM

It is going to suck. Maynard has not produced any good music since 1996 (Except for "The Patient").

Nirvanaholic
04-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I dont think SOAD is overrated. They are a great band, just a little different. And they are very good live.

Ugh. I like SOAD, but from the two concerts i've seen, they're really not that amazing live. But then again, i haven't actually been to a SOAD gig (The bastards never come to this side of the world, none of them do), so maybe they do get their act together sometimes.

DIE
04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
I hope the new record is terrible just so I can watch 'real' tool-fans such as yourself struggle to defend it, while us 'unreal' tool-fans go on with our lives listening to music we can get without dealing with a band as pretentious as Tool.

that's the dumbest reason to hope that the next album sucks... because of the fans. oh, and do i recall a thread you started regarding "10,000 days, aldaraia, and what to believe". how much time did you spend researching and discussing the so called "conspiracy" and all that shit? who's the obsessed tool fan now, huh?

i don't have anything against you, i just sense a bit of hypocrisy.

Hannibal
04-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Why would you not expect great things from Tool? Why are you going into the experience with the mentality of "not being disappointed" instead of "being blown away?"

I guess some people are just negative. I dont understand how you can live a happy life if you expect things to be shitty before you expect them to be great. Think about it.

umm...if anything its a positive way to look at it. Instead of debating whether or not its going to suck right now, I'd instead prefer to look at it as "hey, I'm getting a new album, and that's really bitchin." It's a pretty simple view point, and has nothing to do with negativity. If I don't build it up to be "oh my god the greatest CD ever" and its not, I can't be disappointed now can I?

I don't appreciate you jumping on people about "negativity," it shows how negative you actually are about people.

grizz441
04-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't appreciate you jumping on people about "negativity," it shows how negative you actually are about people.

Actually I try to be positive in everything I do in life and I don't radiate negativity like some people ( not all, there are lots of good people here ) do here. The reason I "jump on people" is because this is a tool board. Everyone who is a member here ideally is a huge tool fan and invests time into these boards reading and/or posting. For some people to be so negative and pessimistic frusterates me because Tool has never done us wrong. What will it take for you to trust in something? Apparently it takes more than what Tool has given you.

I know these words are probably lost upon deaf ears for almost everyone they are directed at which is fine. My only hope is that a couple people will realize that it's not the way to go about things in life.

praefector
04-10-2006, 01:12 PM
tool already made an album i didnt like

its called "undertow"

glad they got it out of the way early

Hannibal
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Actually I try to be positive in everything I do in life and I don't radiate negativity like some people ( not all, there are lots of good people here ) do here. The reason I "jump on people" is because this is a tool board. Everyone who is a member here ideally is a huge tool fan and invests time into these boards reading and/or posting. For some people to be so negative and pessimistic frusterates me because Tool has never done us wrong. What will it take for you to trust in something? Apparently it takes more than what Tool has given you.

I know these words are probably lost upon deaf ears for almost everyone they are directed at which is fine. My only hope is that a couple people will realize that it's not the way to go about things in life.

you're hoping people just say its an excellent CD regardless of what it is. I haven't listened to it yet....so how can i say its good? I'm sure there will be something I don't like about it, but I'm not saying its going to be trash. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not going to delcare it amazing just yet. And i doubt i will on May 2nd. It takes time for the albums to be solidified as great. It took me an entire 6 months before I let Lateralus completely sink in. And now i love it.

I am a huge Tool fan, but blind faith in a band is ridiculous. They make mistakes. Maynard is human, he makes mistakes. Look at the Bikini Bandits...

grizz441
04-10-2006, 02:11 PM
you're hoping people just say its an excellent CD regardless of what it is. I haven't listened to it yet....so how can i say its good? I'm sure there will be something I don't like about it, but I'm not saying its going to be trash. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not going to delcare it amazing just yet. And i doubt i will on May 2nd. It takes time for the albums to be solidified as great. It took me an entire 6 months before I let Lateralus completely sink in. And now i love it.

I am a huge Tool fan, but blind faith in a band is ridiculous. They make mistakes. Maynard is human, he makes mistakes. Look at the Bikini Bandits...

I never said you should blindly like a CD just because it's TOOL. I don't know how my words got misinterpreted. All I said was you should go into the experience with the attitude that it is going to be great instead of it sucking. After you experience it and absorb it over time, you can obviously have an opinion of it.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Soad started out " a little different" kind of unique, and went down hill. hypnotize/mesmerize together or apart are garbage. and they should have been together. fuck them for making us poor folk buy two albums for the content of one.

tools album lengths rock. they dont let me down one bit, havnt yet and i doubt will soon.

I agree that their last two albums werent up to par, but there were still a lot of great songs on them. A lot of mediocre ones also, but still some good ones. And you are right, TOOL has never let me down either.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
It is going to suck. Maynard has not produced any good music since 1996 (Except for "The Patient").

You cant truly believe this and call yourself a TOOL fan.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
tool already made an album i didnt like

its called "undertow"

glad they got it out of the way early

Undertow was a great album. Not as good as aenema or lateralus, but still great.

praefector
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Undertow was a great album. Not as good as aenema or lateralus, but still great.

it has its merits for sure

but apart from "intolerance", "flood", and "4 degrees" i didnt enjoy it very much after 2-4 listens

it certainly doesnt have the staying power that their other work does.

and before anyone says something about "youre just a new jack tool fan" undertow was the first tool album i ever heard; "prison sex" the first song i heard

hooker w/ a pineal gland
04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
i love everything but Lateralus, which i thought was really good. 10,000 Days will carpetbomb popular music.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
it has its merits for sure

but apart from "intolerance", "flood", and "4 degrees" i didnt enjoy it very much after 2-4 listens

it certainly doesnt have the staying power that their other work does.

and before anyone says something about "youre just a new jack tool fan" undertow was the first tool album i ever heard; "prison sex" the first song i heard

Prison sex and Sober are two of the best songs on that album!

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
i love everything but Lateralus, which i thought was really good. 10,000 Days will carpetbomb popular music.

I think Lateralus was just a step under Aenema. It was brilliant. It was like an orchestra but with rock music. Everything fit together perfectly.

lachrymoIogy
04-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I think Lateralus was just a step above Aenema. It was brilliant. It was like an orchestra but with rock music. Everything fit together perfectly. fixed.

apocalyptic dispositon
04-10-2006, 03:18 PM
fixed.

Que?

Estevan
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Any student of human nature will tell you there's one and only one way to keep a secret:
Don't tell anybody.