PDA

View Full Version : Whisperings

Joy Grenade
02-04-2003, 10:25 AM
This has bugged me from the day I first bought ÆNIMA: what the hell is Maynard whispering during the bridge of "Hooker With A Penis"? He keeps it up beneath his other vocals, so the message is damn near unintelligible, but I thought maybe some hardcore fans here would know.

Badg
02-05-2003, 11:06 AM
At 1:41 he whispers "Consume, be fruitful and multiply". Listen closely to the left channel preferably using headphones and you'll hear it. After that... I have no idea.

Hopefully somebody with decent equipment will find out and post the whispered words here.

TapocoL
02-06-2003, 09:16 PM
I kind of think its "consumeR, be fruitful and multiply". Its not a big difference, but just something i thought i could add in.

Spiralman
02-25-2003, 07:48 PM
I was laying in bed listening to this song on my headphones and I swore I heard whispers through most of the song. Especially during loud parts where the band is jamming. Listen close and it probably has to be through a good pair of phones. I can clearly make out the "consumer, be fruitful and multiply" part but I think there is more quiet whispering going on in the background. Anyone else hear this shit?

J Lee

Spiralman
02-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Spiralman
I was laying in bed listening to this song on my headphones and I swore I heard whispers through most of the song. Especially during loud parts where the band is jamming. Listen close and it probably has to be through a good pair of phones. I can clearly make out the "consumer, be fruitful and multiply" part but I think there is more quiet whispering going on in the background. Anyone else hear this shit?

J Lee

Just remembered reading something on Toolband.com about a rumor that Tool encoded deep subliminal messages on albums that made the person want to buy a new one after they scratched, lost, or otherwise damaged their copy. Wonder if the whispers are that )

Food for thought

J Lee

jpmanson
02-25-2003, 07:51 PM
read the faq..

G44. What's that whispering in "Hooker with a Penis"?
As usual, Maynard is just whispering away. Most notably, at 1:40 into the song, he says something which has so far only been deciphered as "consume, be fruitful, and multiply." Originally thought to be a Bill Hicks quote, it appears he jacked it from the Bible, Genesis 1:28. Other whispering, it has been suggested, is him reading a list of merchandise, though we don't know that for sure.

Spiralman
02-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by jpmanson
read the faq..

G44. What's that whispering in "Hooker with a Penis"?
As usual, Maynard is just whispering away. Most notably, at 1:40 into the song, he says something which has so far only been deciphered as "consume, be fruitful, and multiply." Originally thought to be a Bill Hicks quote, it appears he jacked it from the Bible, Genesis 1:28. Other whispering, it has been suggested, is him reading a list of merchandise, though we don't know that for sure.

I've read the whole thing through a few times. It's that "...though we don't know that for sure" quote that bothers me.

J Lee

dork
02-28-2003, 10:13 PM
I can hear it clearly, not as fas as understanding, but you can tell its there quite easily. Even as maynard is singing the 'main' lyrics its going. It sounds really creepy, but even still the whispering in no quarter is the scariest shizzle ive ever heard my nizzle.

jpmanson
03-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by dork
I can hear it clearly, not as fas as understanding, but you can tell its there quite easily. Even as maynard is singing the 'main' lyrics its going. It sounds really creepy, but even still the whispering in no quarter is the scariest shizzle ive ever heard my nizzle.

what is this "shizzle" and "nizzle"? are those even words? or is that some crappy slang you made up to rhyme?

Spiralman
03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by jpmanson
what is this "shizzle" and "nizzle"? are those even words? or is that some crappy slang you made up to rhyme?
Listen to Snoop Dogg sometime. Get some culture.

J Lee

a fire inside
03-31-2003, 02:40 PM
i hear it near the end of the song when he's screaming BUY at the end of the song, i was wondering about it as well.

dork
04-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Spiralman
Listen to Snoop Dogg sometime. Get some culture.

J Lee
hahaha u said snoop dogg is culture.
no offense... im just pretentious.