PDA

View Full Version : Flood sets up Aenima

bluefire
03-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Ive always felt like this song is the begining of their next CD, Aenima. It has been said that "Stinkfist" is recognizing the need to change. Well "Flood" is the a step behind that song, realizing that everything that you have been doing, thinking, feeling is wrong. It is realizing that you must be cleansed, you must start over. It is realizing that your perception of the world is whats wrong, not the world. Its pointing the proverbial finger at yourself. Like the song says "the ground is not the rock i thought it to be" and "I was wrong, this changes everything". Maybe this is where the idea for the smoke box logo for aenima came from, the water cleansing the soul - - "The ground breaks down, right under me, to cleanse and purge me in the water".

(and I really fucking love this song)

g-bay-be
03-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Ive always felt like this song is the begining of their next CD, Aenima. It has been said that "Stinkfist" is recognizing the need to change. Well "Flood" is the a step behind that song, realizing that everything that you have been doing, thinking, feeling is wrong. It is realizing that you must be cleansed, you must start over. It is realizing that your perception of the world is whats wrong, not the world. Its pointing the proverbial finger at yourself. Like the song says "the ground is not the rock i thought it to be" and "I was wrong, this changes everything". Maybe this is where the idea for the smoke box logo for aenima came from, the water cleansing the soul - - "The ground breaks down, right under me, to cleanse and purge me in the water".

I too love that song, and I agree with you. It seems tht you can break yourself down then think about it with aenima, then once your done figuring it out you can listen to lateralus and think you're right again.... then back to undertow and realize that even if you are the most informed, you are still the most ignorant

Hogpile
03-13-2005, 10:52 AM

That could be true. Then again, the title Flood, and the water based lyrics fit right in with the rest of Undertow's watery themes.

paraflux
05-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Not only is it like Flood introduces AEnima.

Opiate introduces Undertow
Flood introduces AEnima
Third Eye introduces Lateralus
And hopefully D/R/T introduces the next one.

Hogpile
05-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Not only is it like Flood introduces AEnima.

Opiate introduces Undertow
Flood introduces AEnima
Third Eye introduces Lateralus
And hopefully D/R/T introduces the next one.

Yeah, I agree with that. Man, call me an idiot, but I just noticed about a month ago, how every single one of Tool's albums is pretty much a theme album. I guess I've always considered Tool's subject matter so varied, that I didn't see the relation between songs on each album as a reoccuring theme.

Opiate: Themes of control

Undertow: Issues in life/baggage/addiction/stunting of growth

Ænima: The rant album. Letting it all out, all the shit in life that pisses you off.

Lateralus: The acceptance. Accepting all of the above and raising above it.

I know, I know, I'm slow. Oh well, better late than never.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Indeed, Tool's album's do have themes, but Lateralus as an enlightenment theme, what can the next ones be? Any ideas? I would love to hear everyone's theories on this.

The next one being in the D/R/T style would be wonderful though...We can only hope.

paraflux
05-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I agree with that. Man, call me an idiot, but I just noticed about a month ago, how every single one of Tool's albums is pretty much a theme album. I guess I've always considered Tool's subject matter so varied, that I didn't see the relation between songs on each album as a reoccuring theme.

Opiate: Themes of control

Undertow: Issues in life/baggage/addiction/stunting of growth

Ænima: The rant album. Letting it all out, all the shit in life that pisses you off.

Lateralus: The acceptance. Accepting all of the above and raising above it.

I know, I know, I'm slow. Oh well, better late than never.

I really dont know if Opiate had a cohesive theme.
Undertow I can certainly agree with.
AEnima... I think there is a lot more than letting it out, a release. I think its the actual steps taken towards progression, the journey itself, where Lateralus is the witnessing of the beauty of the journey than the actual steps, and the reasons WHY the journey needs to be undertaken.