PDA

View Full Version : What Eulogy is NOT About...

bluefire
03-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Seeing as this song is the most analyzed song on this site, i'd thought i'd share my opinions on what people are saying

Eulogy is not about....

Jesus - contains the line "To ascend you must die. You must be crucified For our sins and our lies". Hate to break it you guys, but he (supposedly) did. Also no line actually refences jesus in the entire song, except for the whole "get off your fucking cross" part. That is a CLICHE, and Jesus certainly wasn't the only person to die on a cross.

Bill Hicks - Too negative of a song to be about one of their heroes. Really I don't understand how anyone can think it is about Hicks.

Kurt Cobain - Not a martyr, at all. Never claimed to die for anyone. Also there is no reason for Tool to write a song about him, not a group that deals with the inner person and emotions.

Paul - He plays bass on the album version.

What it may be about...

L. Ron Hubbard - the lyrics don't contradict this viewpoint, but i don't know why they would reference him in multiple songs. Hes not the first to start a bullshit religion.

Maynard - This is my favorite interpretation. What he envisions people saying about him upon his death. Some lines don't seem to fit like "you claim all this time that you would die for me", but its damn cool to think about taking a 180 degree viewpoint change and imagine what people will say when your dead.

All in all, a Tool-ishly vague song

downward_spiral
03-11-2005, 11:33 PM
interesting. but i still think its cobain. and about the whole martyr thing i think there is a song on in utero that refers along the line of this. maybe i'm wrong. I'll give it a listen in a minute and see

bluefire
03-12-2005, 01:58 PM
interesting. but i still think its cobain. and about the whole martyr thing i think there is a song on in utero that refers along the line of this. maybe i'm wrong. I'll give it a listen in a minute and see

when did Cobain ever claim to die for anyone? What facade did he ever portray? Why would Maynard/Tool be pissed at him, anyway? I really think there is no chance that Tool would write a song about Cobain. I mean theyre not exactly pop culture whores, and they're not exactly Cold (the band who wrote a shitty song about cobain in 2003, effectively attempting to milk a dead cow)

UtUmNo1
03-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Does anyone ever tire of analyzing this fucking song?

*Nods head until neck very sore*

paraflux
03-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Let the others do what they want to, UtUmNo1.

ARMZ
03-13-2005, 10:23 AM
There are 2 themes I picture when I listen to this song.

1: A military leader screaming orders at his unit.

2: A Muslim leader screaming at his people.

Also I sometimes think that Maynard is singing from 2 different points of view, the leader and the follower.

Hogpile
03-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Seeing as this song is the most analyzed song on this site, i'd thought i'd share my opinions on what people are saying

Eulogy is not about....

Jesus - contains the line "To ascend you must die. You must be crucified For our sins and our lies". Hate to break it you guys, but he (supposedly) did. Also no line actually refences jesus in the entire song, except for the whole "get off your fucking cross" part. That is a CLICHE, and Jesus certainly wasn't the only person to die on a cross.

Bill Hicks - Too negative of a song to be about one of their heroes. Really I don't understand how anyone can think it is about Hicks.

Kurt Cobain - Not a martyr, at all. Never claimed to die for anyone. Also there is no reason for Tool to write a song about him, not a group that deals with the inner person and emotions.

Paul - He plays bass on the album version.

What it may be about...

L. Ron Hubbard - the lyrics don't contradict this viewpoint, but i don't know why they would reference him in multiple songs. Hes not the first to start a bullshit religion.

Maynard - This is my favorite interpretation. What he envisions people saying about him upon his death. Some lines don't seem to fit like "you claim all this time that you would die for me", but its damn cool to think about taking a 180 degree viewpoint change and imagine what people will say when your dead.

All in all, a Tool-ishly vague song

Interesting. However: "To ascend you must die. You must be crucified. Goodbye." And Jesus did do that. What's your point? He's not saying that as if the person being discussed didn't do it, he's just stating what matryrs are made of.

I don't know a whole lot about L. Ron Hubbard, but I never heard him make any claims that he would die for us. Nor has Maynard. And the line "Ranting and pointing his finger, at everything but his heart", has me guessing Maynard isn't describing himself. Also "no way to recall, what it was that you had said to me, like I care anyhow". That's being sung from a first person perspective, where as, if he was talking about himself, shouldn't it be "no way for you to recall........"

One more thing: Maynard and L Ron Hubbard, along with Cobain, are probably the most popular interpretations of this song.

UtUmNo1
03-13-2005, 02:18 PM
My apologies Paraflux

bluefire
03-13-2005, 09:52 PM
And the line "Ranting and pointing his finger, at everything but his heart", has me guessing Maynard isn't describing himself. Also "no way to recall, what it was that you had said to me, like I care anyhow". That's being sung from a first person perspective, where as, if he was talking about himself, shouldn't it be "no way for you to recall........"

Not if the song is not from maynards perspective, like I said. Being told from the eyes of the people writing his eulogy, he would be refered to as "you". Futhermore, these people are reflecting on the negative nature of his celebrity, so it could be negative towards maynard.