PDA

View Full Version : The world is a vampire...

seeker
02-04-2003, 01:59 AM
The Patient could be about life and waiting it out despite everything. I'll take it from the top:

"A groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful."

The first line describes a new problem in the speaker's life, (problems have become tedium in many lives) and the fearful are those who care about him. They are worried for him, and they are startled from their own individual existences to see what will happen. They dread the possibilities.

"Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on."

These lines describe the severity of the problem--the implications of its importance. If it isn't a test of will then it's simply too much to be worth the effort.

"Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire acts a little old."

Here the speaker more or less chooses to wait it out a bit to discern whether it is a test. It is draining his patience, in essence his willpower, and necessarily so it is his life (vitality) since he is already on the edge of forsaking it. The second line describes the world as he sees it--a paranoid, paralyzed vampire. It is acting old in that it's repeating itself, giving more problems for the speaker to deal with while giving little to support his efforts.

"But I'm still right here, giving blood and keeping faith. And I'm still right here..."

This reinforces my assertions that he has chosen to wait it out. He's still here, the vampire that is the world is still getting a use out of him, and he's still hoping it is a test.

"I'm gonna wait it out"

Now he has decided to go with what he had already been doing just in analyzing the situation.

"If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now."

He's reminiscing on his history with dealing with problems, remembering the times he decided to keep going and the reasons that persuaded him. He has always had something to look forward to, support from the fearful mentioned in the beginning. His tedious path (his life) has been difficult, but he has chosen in the past to cling to what's good in spite of the evils of the world.

"I'm gonna wait it out"

The past is not the present however, and he's still enduring.

"If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've chosen here,

He's realizing his reason to continue, the value of it. In staying strong, he has the chance to aid others in living their lives in spite of the odds, even "the fearful". If he had no desire or care for the plight of others, he would have selfishly walked away... suicide.

"I still may. And I still may.
Be patient."

He's not ruling out the possibility of walking away... But for the present he seems to have overcome the initial problem ("I still may" has futuristic connotations). The second line here is perhaps a plea to those damaged and broken who may have been weakened by the speaker's loss of strength.

"I must keep reminding myself of this..."

He is reminding himself of all the reasons to be patient, because in the midst of the pain of life it is easy to focus on the negative. In encouraging himself to focus on the brighter side of things he is enabling himself to carry on.

"If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,

Despite his outreach when he reasons with himself that he should stick around for the sakes of others, he still must have a source of strength. This describes his strength.

"And I still may. And I still may. And I still may."

He knows the fight is not finished. There will be more problems, more instances when he questions the value of going on. But he may, which is dealing with the future. He is ready to move on.

"I'm gonna wait it out.
I'm gonna wait it out.
Gonna wait it out.
Gonna wait it out."

...and that's a wrap. This is my struggle in times when I need to be patient and wait it out. Thanks for taking the time to read my interpretation.

Sora
02-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Nice...very nice. Some of tese interpretations peope have, andI'm not saying they aren't good, bu they are inconsstant. Yours stuck through all the way.

Keep that in mind at all times, thank you...

seeker
02-17-2003, 04:04 AM
thanks for the compliment

fuzzo
02-25-2003, 03:12 PM
no pal no, this isn't lame ass Smashing Pumpkins...you can clearly see that its a love song towards Paz from APC..man she has nice legs..

dodes
02-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Heh whenever I'm in a meeting at work, I think of this song..
--
A groan of tedium escapes me startling the fearful...
--
IE someone's droaning on... i sigh, and people trying to be silent and pretend to listen get startled... etc.

--
Is this a test? It has to be...
--
being in this meeting is a test set by the obviously boring speaker... generally the people of higher power I work with... heheh if this isn't a test why am I here? (otherwise i can't go on)...
--
the vampire comment is basically a talker taking the life out of me while they're babbling on...

--
If there were no rewards to reap..... loving embrace to see through... tedious path i've chosen, would have walked away
--
I would have left if it wasn't for the money i get paid, and the people who rely on me to earn the money. hence i'll wait it out... i'll be patient...

you basically get the drift of what i'm saying... I'm about 99% sure that they're NOT speaking about a meeting at my work, however this is just an example of how the music relates to someone's life.

btw, i love my job, and generally i like the poeple i work with :)

eonblueapocalyp
03-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I think you are really close on this one, but i have a slightly different interpretation...
The first lin "a groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful" i think this is saying like maynard, when he does some crazy or wierd stuff, from the point of view of society, the public, some of them are shocked, while what he did was just a groan to him. the public are "the fearfull". Then the next line, "is this a test, it has to be, otherwise i cant go on..." this is him saying what the hell is up with the world, i do something and they freak out! and he is wondering if this is a test to see if he can survive this madness. The lines "this paranoid, paralized vampire acts a little old" this is the world and society killing him. The world and society are the vampire, and the vampire is suffacating him... the rest, like "but i am still here, giving blood and keeping faith" is just about how despite this, he just goes on suffering and enduring this test. the rest sort of falls in place. This is just my most likey wrong interpretation of the song....Spiral Out...

forty6n2
03-23-2003, 09:14 PM
that is exactly how i think of this song. i can feel a personal connection to this song, being the person i am. i am depressed. ive thought about suicide many times and whenever i do i listen to this song. be patient. be patient. it encourages me and it saddens me at the same time. i feel this huge connection and i try to stay on this tedious path(life). but the thing is i have no ''loving embrace to see me through''. i dont have any close friends that i can talk to anymore. no g/f or nothing. i have friends i have fun with but none that are close like that. sometimes i feel ''there are no rewards to reap'' but i stay patient by listening to this song. im interested in the last thing he says besides ''gonna wait it out''. at the end he says ''i still may...and i will''. im curious as to ''i will'' means, does that mean he will commit suicide or just eventually die and step off the path of life. i sometimes almost cry when listening to this. its funny how a song can mean so much.

P.S. i like the ''the world is a vampire'' quote, smashing pumpkins is my second favorite band. im not sure if u meant it to be connected to S.P.'s but thats what it meant to me.

seeker
03-24-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by forty6n2
that is exactly how i think of this song. i can feel a personal connection to this song, being the person i am. i am depressed. ive thought about suicide many times and whenever i do i listen to this song. be patient. be patient. it encourages me and it saddens me at the same time. i feel this huge connection and i try to stay on this tedious path(life). but the thing is i have no ''loving embrace to see me through''. i dont have any close friends that i can talk to anymore. no g/f or nothing. i have friends i have fun with but none that are close like that. sometimes i feel ''there are no rewards to reap'' but i stay patient by listening to this song. im interested in the last thing he says besides ''gonna wait it out''. at the end he says ''i still may...and i will''. im curious as to ''i will'' means, does that mean he will commit suicide or just eventually die and step off the path of life. i sometimes almost cry when listening to this. its funny how a song can mean so much.

P.S. i like the ''the world is a vampire'' quote, smashing pumpkins is my second favorite band. im not sure if u meant it to be connected to S.P.'s but thats what it meant to me.

Maybe you don't have a loving embrace now, but if you ever have had such a thing, it may be enough... That's what Parabola means to me, and it has worked despite my near-total isolation from friends/lovers/etc. "This body holding me, be my reminder here that I am not alone... this body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion (of what it means to be alive)".

Just think of that the next time you feel the test spoken of in The Patient setting in... Pain is an illusion of what it means to be alive.

Bozotozo
03-24-2003, 01:55 PM
I think the "I will" part is the beginning of the "wait it out" part at the end. Put together its " I will wait it out."