PDA

View Full Version : 10K Days vinyl release

Faaip De Oiad
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
so will they press the new release on vinyl as well, or will we get the snub like Lateralus?

Im hoping they do something similar to Aenima. Limited pressings with alt. inserts. Nothing like reading liner notes on 10 inch peices of cardboard :)

Red Eye Jedi
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Oh man the new tool album on vinyl would be great. I would actually have an excuse to dust my record player off...

godhenry
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I just want to say that I hope it's not going to take TOOL 10,000 days to release their new album on vinyl. The last one took forever (but better late than never). IMHO, you haven't listened to TOOL until you've heard them live and have heard them on vinyl. Listening to TOOL on vinyl is like listening to them in the studio where they recorded it. The soundstage is simply amazing. And for you deciphering fanatics, there are even more hidden messages on their vinyls...

(OK, I lied, again. This would be my third post.)

H.

Ocelot199
03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
It'll probably take a year or two, after sales of the disc start to go down enough to make Tool want the money flow from releasing something new.

And I agree.

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
my bet is...

christmas-time 2010

psims23
03-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Haha, godhenry your pun amuses me to the greatest extent

Mr.Rubberburner
03-13-2006, 08:50 PM
who gives a fk about vinyl, let's just get this damn album....forgive me...i'm under alot of stress...(takes a shot of JD)...aahh...better

thejesus
03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
IMHO, you haven't listened to TOOL until you've heard...them on vinyl.

You're kidding, right?

hellboy1975
03-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Better start saving now, in 2010 it's probably $1000 for the signed 10,000 Days Vinyl

HolyReality
03-14-2006, 07:04 AM
IMHO, you haven't listened to TOOL until you've heard them live and have heard them on vinyl.

agreed. the lateralus vinyl sounds amazing.

Bogart
03-14-2006, 07:14 AM
IMHO, you haven't listened to TOOL until you've heard them on vinyl.

H.

I guess I really haven't experienced Tool...

thejesus
03-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I guess I really haven't experienced Tool...

Yeah, because you haven't experienced Tool until you've listened to them via a medium with totally crappy sound quality... ::rolls eyes::

Mr.Rubberburner
03-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah, because you haven't experienced Tool until you've listened to them via a medium with totally crappy sound quality... ::rolls eyes::
Seriously! F**k vinyl

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Wait, you people think vinyls sound bad? Have you ever even listened to one? Do you know anything about recordings? Are you retarded?

gerbil
03-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Vinyl is analog and analog, traditionally, has more depth and warmth than digital. I, myself, work in digital but analog can sound really nice. Digital is just more likely to have a cold clipping sound to it.

Mr.Rubberburner
03-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I can't wait to buy it on cassette tape

Wretched
03-14-2006, 08:00 AM
I highly like the Vinyls I have. I wish I had of got a Tool Lateralus vinyl.

Wait, you people think vinyls sound bad? Have you ever even listened to one? Do you know anything about recordings? Are you retarded?

They are retarded, but these are too many questions for them to answer.

thejesus
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Vinyl is analog and analog, traditionally, has more depth and warmth than digital. I, myself, work in digital but analog can sound really nice. Digital is just more likely to have a cold clipping sound to it.

Digital is FAR superior to analog...I can't even believe we are having a discussion about this...lol

Sounds like a protest vote to me...there's always a few, eh?

thejesus
03-14-2006, 08:09 AM

lol

Mr.Rubberburner
03-14-2006, 08:10 AM
and pop it into my walkman...yeah

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Digital is FAR superior to analog...I can't even believe we are having a discussion about this...lol

No, you really don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever listened to any of Tool's vinyls before? They have a much fuller, richer (or warmer) sound that digital.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Just give up.

chalimar
03-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Well I don't have a record player and I certainly won't spend my money on buying one and those expensive vinyls just to hear a "richer" or whatever the fuck sound.

Digital > Analog

Mr.Rubberburner
03-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Although hand-raised ocelots can be very tame, they don’t make good house pets because they have a very strong odour and both the males and females commonly spray.

OneManRiot
03-14-2006, 08:20 AM
you have to have a good record player for it to sound good....

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Well I don't have a record player and I certainly won't spend my money on buying one and those expensive vinyls just to hear a "richer" or whatever the fuck sound.

Digital > Analog
If you're talking about expense, then yeah... Digital ends up being a lot cheaper. If you're talking about sound quality, Analog can be a lot better than digital.

I seriously can't believe people are arguing against this. Its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of fact. Ask anybody who has a decent record player.

godhenry
03-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Digital > Analog

yes it is expensive. there's a reason why my credit cards are maxed out right now...

the ongoing rate on ebay for a new Aenima on vinyl is about $500 to $600. A used one would still cost you at least $200. Thank god I bought one back in 2000 and it still cost me $100.

Useful Idiot. That's all I have to say about TOOL and vinyl.

OneManRiot
03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
yea my friend has this really awesome record player with this huge like $15,000 sound system (his dad is pretty wealthy and is a HUGE audiophile) and man, it was insane....i felt sad when i left...i dunno

Ocelot199
Haha, yeah. Thats why they made that track, right? So people would think it was the edge of the disk and need to turn it over, when it was just Useful Idiot. Does 46&2 come on after Useful Idiot, or is it on the other side?

knot0fvipers
"Digital is FAR superior to analog...I can't even believe we are having a discussion about this...lol"

It really depends on what you mean by superior. Anything digital is sampled, anything analog is continuous. Digital can record with less artifacts but vinyl is closer to how you actually perceive sound if you were in the room when the recording was happening. Analog also introduces slight non linear distortion into the sound, something that cant be truely modelled by sampling.
People's ears tend to like this type of "warmth" over digital, ask virtually any guitarist why a real tube amp sounds better than solid state.

thejesus
03-14-2006, 08:28 AM
No, you really don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever listened to any of Tool's vinyls before? They have a much fuller, richer (or warmer) sound that digital.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Just give up.

I'm starting to think you've never listened to a CD before...

I bet you have a tape player instead of a CD player in your car too, don't you...lol

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Cassettes are worse than CDs.

Of course I listen to CDs. I also have my fair share of cassettes. I don't have too many vinyls, but from what I do have its very obvious that its superior to digital recordings.

You haven't answered my question: Have you ever listened to Tool on vinyl before? My guess is you haven't and you're just spouting your mouth off about something you know nothing about, like an idiot. Just because records are older than CDs doesn't mean they aren't good anymore.

LoKi
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Digital > Analog

yeah cause its KEWL TO BE IGNORANT!!!

thejesus
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Cassettes are worse than CDs.

Of course I listen to CDs. I also have my fair share of cassettes. I don't have too many vinyls, but from what I do have its very obvious that its superior to digital recordings.

You haven't answered my question: Have you ever listened to Tool on vinyl before? My guess is you haven't and you're just spouting your mouth off about something you know nothing about, like an idiot. Just because records are older than CDs doesn't mean they aren't good anymore.

No, I have never listened to Tool on Vinyl before...have you ever heard them on 8-track? How about the Edison phonograph?

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 08:37 AM
8-track and phonographs are entirely different. Since you've never listened to one of their vinyls before, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Like I said, just because the technology predates what you're used to doesn't mean its outdated or bad. Like people already said, listening to a vinyl makes it feel like you're in a room with the band listening to them record. Its as close as you can get to seeing Tool live before actually going to a concert.

So yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't know what you're missing out on. You're one of these new-age fuckers who think its really cool to be totally ignorant about the past (OMG not almost 20 years ago! FUCK ME!). You're trapping in this illusion that newer is better, when it really isn't. The reason vinyls are rarer than CDs is simply because CDs are far cheaper to produce (not to mention more convenient).

godhenry
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Haha, yeah. Thats why they made that track, right? So people would think it was the edge of the disk and need to turn it over, when it was just Useful Idiot. Does 46&2 come on after Useful Idiot, or is it on the other side?

There's more to that. Useful Idiot is the last inner groove before the label on side 1. So whenever the needle hits the label and bounces back, it replays the last groove of Useful Idiot. So Useful Idiot keeps on playing INDEFINITELY until those idiots start becoming useful and flip the record. Of course, after flipping the record you've got 46&2 ahead of you.

To allow Useful Idiot to play like that on vinyl, the record label has be in a VERY SPECIFIC shape to allow that seamless replaying. It's craftmanship for sure. But of course, with CDs those idiots don't need to flip anything, they don't have to feel useless, and they don't have to work to get to 46&2. I envy them.

H.

eulogys
03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Since you've never listened to one of their vinyls before, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Grow up. Idiot.

I don't think I could've said it any better.

LoKi
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
unless you said it like that, but with more owls.

HolyReality
03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
makes me want to break the bank on a copy of the aenima vinyl....

HolyReality
03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
oh yeah...if you want a cheap, half-decent turntable check ebay. they're plentiful.

thejesus
03-14-2006, 09:02 AM
lol...

http://www.tinfoil.com/pho-b.jpg

Have fun dishing out hundreds of $$$ just so you can strain to hear what's actually on the recording....

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 09:04 AM
lol...

http://www.tinfoil.com/pho-b.jpg

Have fun dishing out hundreds of $$$ just so you can strain to hear what's actually on the recording....

jackass
You're so ignorant its offensive. You're ignorant and proud of it.

I think you're the biggest jackass I've ever encountered here. And you're competing with Shade for that title.

Idiot.

godhenry
03-14-2006, 09:05 AM

to tempt you even further, i'm telling you this: the combination of the record label shape and the innermost groove on every side in AEnima creates a serise of clicks that together resemble the sound of a set of drum beats of a song in AEnima :-). It's simply evil!

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Are you the real Holy Reality, or just stole his name?

thejesus
03-14-2006, 09:08 AM
You're so ignorant its offensive. You're ignorant and proud of it.

I think you're the biggest jackass I've ever encountered here. And you're competing with Shade for that title.

Idiot.

Alright, look , I'm a bit too old to get into an argument on an internet message board...

let's just agree to disagree...I'll stick with my $12 CDs and you can pay whartever you pay for your vinyls...OK?

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 09:10 AM
God, I hate you so much.

I buy CDs far more than vinyls, This isn't about how much they cost, its about how they sound. And vinyls sound better. Thats not an opinion, thats a fact. You're a fucking idiot if you disagree. There is no room for argument there. You are just wrong. Period.

LoKi
03-14-2006, 09:10 AM
undertow cost me $25 cd.

vinyl = $20

GOGGLEROFL!

thejesus
03-14-2006, 09:12 AM
God, I hate you so much.

Dude, you must take these boards way to seriously to actually hate someone else who posts on them

Comebackrunning
03-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Vinyls often cheaper anyway.
And you can buy the vinyl, have the collectability, and the fucking huge artwork, gatefolds etc.
And then download the mp3s if you want to listen in your car or whatever.

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 09:14 AM
You're just pissed that I pwned you.

Now go crawl back into your lurker hole, please.

RosettaStoned
03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Flame on!

Hi guys

I hope there will be a vinyl yeah.
ok my pinion

bye

(oh that guy above me, you're right! ;o)

chalimar
03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
What kind of record player do I need to have a good listening experience with vinyls?

You know, I'm 18 years old so I DO know what vinyls sound like. And they didn't sound as good as CDs. Guess I was listening to them on the wrong equipment.

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
What kind of record player do I need to have a good listening experience with vinyls?

You know, I'm 18 years old so I DO know what vinyls sound like. And they didn't sound as good as CDs. Guess I was listening to them on the wrong equipment.
If it sounds scratchy, you prolly need to replace the needle. If it skips, its not balanced right... if its just general crappiness, your speakers are prolly old and crappy.

Get new stuff. I'm not an expert on it... I just use what I have.

godhenry
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Goldring GR1.2
http://www.torontohifi.com/review24.php

You can get this one for about $299 or maybe even cheaper.

martyr
03-14-2006, 09:52 AM
lol its funny how someone called thejesus can be so ignorant. oh the juxtaposition of that oxyMORON(i dont know if that is correct)

orange.juice
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM

an expensive one. Plus a good amp. Plus good speakers and cabels. Plus, you need to take care of your vinyls, i.e. clean them.

chalimar
03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
an expensive one. Plus a good amp. Plus good speakers and cabels. Plus, you need to take care of your vinyls, i.e. clean them.

That's what I thought.

So, I'll say it again:

Digital > Analog

And I will add: For me.

paraflux
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I cant believe some of the crap I just read here.

Vinyl is superior in sound quality to digital pressings, yes. As ocelot pointed out, it is a fact, not an opinion. If you bash the way that vinyl sounds, then you are completely ignorant of recording formats.

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I cant believe some of the crap I just read here.

Vinyl is superior in sound quality to digital pressings, yes. As ocelot pointed out, it is a fact, not an opinion. If you bash the way that vinyl sounds, then you are completely ignorant of recording formats.
Wait, you just PMed me telling me to stop calling him an idiot (flaming)... but here you agree with me that he is being totally ignorant and obtuse?

I'm confused...

vinegar_tom
03-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I have no opinion either way about analog or digital sound quality; I have only this Mr. Show reference (note, not actual quote, but paraphrasing):

Screw Compact Discs, people weren't meant to listen to music with such clarity. They need to hear pops, and cracks, and all that shit.

HolyReality
Are you the real Holy Reality, or just stole his name?

?

paraflux
Ignorant=not knowing. There isnt any name calling in my post.

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
?
There was a poster named Holy_Reality... he had something like 12,000 posts here, and he dissapeared a while ago. I was wondering if you were the same guy, but apparently you aren't. Nevermind.

Ignorant=not knowing. There isnt any name calling in my post.
Like I said in my PM, I didn't know you were against some name-calling if it was within an actual argument and not just pure flaming. Sorry.

martyr
03-14-2006, 10:09 AM
yeah but being called ignorant is something someone could take offense at

paraflux
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Then whoever takes offense should find a dictionary. I am ignorant when it comes to lots of things. How to suck cock, for instance. Completely ignorant. Whoever says that digital recordings sound as clear, warm, and "how it is supposed to sound" as vinyl is clearly ignorant on sound recording formats. That's just how it is.

Staticfactory
03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Ocelot, I suggest you learn to just let go.

People are making these comments because they know that you flip out when you think you're "right" about something. For some, it's amusing... for me, I can't stand that you have to debate every stupid little reply with things like "You're an idiot", "Go kill yourself", and the like. YOU'RE RIGHT. PET YOUR EGO.

Again, nobody cares. You stated your point and everyone that is educated in audio technology agrees. Please, for the love of fuck, leave it alone.

Ocelot199
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Ocelot, I suggest you learn to just let go.

People are making these comments because they know that you flip out when you think you're "right" about something. For some, it's amusing... for me, I can't stand that you have to debate every stupid little reply with things like "You're an idiot", "Go kill yourself", and the like. YOU'RE RIGHT. PET YOUR EGO.

Again, nobody cares. You stated your point and everyone that is educated in audio technology agrees. Please, for the love of fuck, leave it alone.
ok.

martyr
03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Then whoever takes offense should find a dictionary. I am ignorant when it comes to lots of things. How to suck cock, for instance. Completely ignorant. Whoever says that digital recordings sound as clear, warm, and "how it is supposed to sound" as vinyl is clearly ignorant on sound recording formats. That's just how it is.

yeah but lots of people take offense at stupid things. its an attack on their personality and their belief that they are all knowing.

But hey im not here to argue, im here to debate and laugh merrily

thejesus
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
You're just pissed that I pwned you.

Now go crawl back into your lurker hole, please.

great...you pwned me, whatever that means...congratulations...

now run along

This conversation has made us all dumber...

thejesus
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
I am ignorant when it comes to lots of things.

apparently

paraflux
03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Are you going to be ok?

harbong
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
tool's history of releasing vinyl seems nostalgic, do you think they will release this album any differently?
I personally think they will take another 4 years, or whenever they have down time and need a few bucks for a new album/tour/house/drug binge. That's my theory for the lp of lateralus, since they finance tours and things themselves, hopefully they are pouring that back into this new tour. I can't imagine a septagram lighting rig being very thrifty.
If they do hold back on the xm lp the artwork had better blow doors down.

LoKi
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
10,000 days LOL

harbong
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
creative.

LoKi
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
can we have an option on the poll that isn't one extreme or the other.

harbong
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
can you change a poll? it's not in the edit

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
xm =/= 10000

and I'd expect around 2.

Holydirt
03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
xm =/= 10000

and I'd expect around 2.
Finally someone knows how to use roman numerals.

Ryan
03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
LOL i have aenima on vinyl, do any of you?

no?

thread closed.

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 07:59 PM
LOL I DO I DO PICK ME!

Ryan
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
*gasp*

dracomordag
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I also have an undertow cassette and a sober vinyl

Ryan
03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
the sober picture disc, or a promo vinyl?

Mr.Rubberburner
03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
vinyl's overrated

Octopod
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
vinyl's overrated

If it weren't for the larger artwork, and the different feel of having to flip it when a side is done, I'd agree with you.

Chuck
03-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Wasn't the Aenima vinyl actually released BEFORE the CD?

mattw
03-28-2006, 05:32 AM
vinyl's overrated

Not when it's a copy of Lateralus, signed by the 4 members of Tool, beautifully framed and hanging on your wall...

Nor is it overrated when other copies of the album listed above sell on ebay for hundreds of dollars only months after their release...

Come to think of it, vinyl is pretty damn good!!

By the way, can we cut the 'xm' shit? Despite not only being incorrect, is it really that hard to type out '10,000 Days'? Not once have I ever said something abrreviated like "I actually prefer Lat over Aen, then U-Tow and Op and Sal is okay....." etc. So why start now?

chalimar
03-28-2006, 05:45 AM
there is no album. yet.

5th Eye
03-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Yes, it won't come out until May 2...

ARMZ
03-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Sometime around Xmas, MMVII, MMVIII, MMIX, MMX.

TurdEye13
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
A LONG time!

Fulcanelli
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
xm = 1990 so I think that the vinyl for xm will never come out. The vinyl for 10,000 Days will probably come out in 3 years.

Leebo
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
xm = 1990 so I think that the vinyl for xm will never come out. The vinyl for 10,000 Days will probably come out in 3 years.

Try again.

Fulcanelli
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Try again.

OK, 4 years :)

godhenry
04-19-2006, 12:43 AM
I need to upgrade my turntable to one of those $5K ones to give this album justice.

and yes I caved. fuck off.

btw, if you haven't heard Fingernails by Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, find yourself a copy. It's a good reference album for 10,000 Days.

John Doggett
04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
The vinyl already leaked.

Paradigm619
04-19-2006, 12:47 AM

I LOLed at this post.

godhenry
04-19-2006, 12:52 AM
You just put a big smile on my face :-)

honky
04-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Being that Laterlus was just released on vinyl, I'm going to guess 10k days won't be released as such... But then again that would be a sweet surprise. Anyone have any info regarding this?

toocooltool
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Ye[no]

Video next pls.

iknowmaynard
04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Being that Laterlus was just released on vinyl, I'm going to guess 10k days won't be released as such... But then again that would be a sweet surprise. Anyone have any info regarding this?
what makes you think there's any info?

honky
04-19-2006, 10:04 AM
this whole forum is speculation, some based on actual facts, some pulled out of people's asses... if you don't have info or input, move on.

and no I'm not sure anyone has info. That's why I asked.

iknowmaynard
04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
i don't think there's any info. i could pull some out of my ass if you want

why would you say that just because lateralus was released on vinyl 10,000 days won't be?

i don't visit this section very much but stop starting threads just for the hell of it

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 10:12 AM
10,000 Days will NEVER be released on vinyl. NEVER!!

Goldfoot
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM

Maybe the title means that 10,000 days from May 2nd the album will be on vinyl.

honky
04-19-2006, 10:37 AM
i like that last post... that's what i was getting at. not IF, but when? it took what, 4 years for Lateralus to be pressed onto vinyl. and that came out damn nice by the way... alternate track listing and some sweet picture discs...

i didnt start this thread for the hell of it. can read the topic? there is a point.

at least im not crying about my dissapointment in maynards lyrics before hearing how they are sung.

Goldfoot
04-19-2006, 10:42 AM
I thought it was the same tracklisting.

honky
04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
its actually in a different order.

godhenry
04-19-2006, 01:38 PM
its actually in a different order.

and that different order gives me a complete new perspective on Lateralus. This is how I listen to my Lateralus vinyl:

Tracks 1-4: Same as CD on Side 1
Tracks 5-7: same as CD on Side 2
Track 8: Disposition (last track on Side 2)
Track 9: Reflection (Side 3)
Track 10: Triad (Side 3)
Track 11: Faaip De Oiad (Side 3)
Track 12: Ticks and Leeches (Side 4. And dude Ticks and Leeches has never been heard like the way now under the context of Faaip De Oiad! And it's fucking awesome!)
Track 13: Lateralus

Spaceman Spiff
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Ah, there's the track order for the vinyl... mine's in the plastic hanging on the wall, so I can't be bothered to check it, thanks.

honky
04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
so obviously without the time passing and enjoying lateralus on CD, the vinyl wouldnt have had the same effect... kinda like live pushit not being as good without the original, even though they are both amazing... hopefully we get some vinyl eventually. the more i think about it, the more sense it makes for them to wait on that.

...unless they want to get higher sales out the gate. id buy it on cd and vinyl.

auralassassin
04-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I have 2 copies of lateralus and every tool on vinyl :P

godhenry
04-20-2006, 08:18 AM
they've got to release this album on vinyl soon! it's made to be listened on vinyl!

not to brag but i'm bragging, i have 2 copies of every tool album on vinyl.

Perseensilmä
04-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Ah, there's the track order for the vinyl... mine's in the plastic hanging on the wall, so I can't be bothered to check it, thanks.

hint: You can listen to that album if you have a turntable.

Cucumber_11
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM

It better be fecking released on vinyl. I love vinyl.

It will make a come back one day...

One day goddamit!

Spaceman Spiff
04-20-2006, 08:49 AM
hint: You can listen to that album if you have a turntable.
No shit?

auralassassin
04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
It better be fecking released on vinyl. I love vinyl.

It will make a come back one day...

One day goddamit!

As a DJ and producer who releases MAINLY on vinyl, I can tell you--it's not dead. Thats where all my money is made.

godhenry
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
As a DJ and producer who releases MAINLY on vinyl, I can tell you--it's not dead. Thats where all my money is made.

that's how TOOL makes their money from me... and i've spent a lot but it's worth every dollar i tell ya... the vinyl aspect of collecting good music, especially TOOL music, gives me a different perspectives about buying CDs. CDs are probably one of the biggest scam in history. the quality is not that good and totally do not last. i'll still buy the cd when it comes out on may 2 just to show my love but TOOL is probably the ONLY band that i buy cds of. everything else is mp3...and if it's good, then i buy the vinyl.

Cucumber_11
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Really? I've found very few shops that still stock decent vinyls on the high street, and only recently found a website where you can buy vinyls. To me it seems a little downsized.

azatoth
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Really? I've found very few shops that still stock decent vinyls on the high street, and only recently found a website where you can buy vinyls. To me it seems a little downsized.

i guess it depends on what music you collect. as good as all electronic music comes out in vinyl. it's the djs medium of choice, although cd/mp3 djing is getting more advanced all the time. but i guess vinyl will still be around when cds are long gone.

Valediction
04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
dj's use vinyl because nothing can beat being able to physically touch the record to slow it down or speed it up slightly to keep it beat-matched.

I love vinyl because it has a nice warm sound, and you get a huge wax disk and cover art, definately cooler than the little stupid CD package you get.

Cucumber_11
04-20-2006, 10:45 AM
i guess it depends on what music you collect. as good as all electronic music comes out in vinyl. it's the djs medium of choice, although cd/mp3 djing is getting more advanced all the time. but i guess vinyl will still be around when cds are long gone.

I believe that vinyl will outlast CD aswell. Record companies will suddenly realise its harder to copy or leak a vinyl record. Now that everythings digital music leaks digitally (Ie the interweb), so they'd have to go back to basics to stop leakage.

I love vinyl because it has a nice warm sound, and you get a huge wax disk and cover art, definately cooler than the little stupid CD package you get.

Just why i love it. When I get a picture disk vinyl i nearly almost allways cream my pants. Bigger canvis for the artist to create his work.

honky
04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
living here in SF across the street from Amoeba, it is very easy to see vinyl is alive and well. People travel a distance to come to a place with a great record selection and sometimes great prices. I got Opiate there for only like $4.99 I think it was... Anyway, I'm glad to hear some people agree that vinyl has its place. There's nothing like spending some time with your music. PUlling out the sleeve, the big artwork, you actually participate in listening to it as opposed to downloading 1000 songs before you can listen to one.

I notice a lot of re released stuff on vinyl lately too.

BÄR intonation
04-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Still Waiting for the vinyl release date.

TheColorOfLight
04-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I believe that vinyl will outlast CD aswell. Record companies will suddenly realise its harder to copy or leak a vinyl record. Now that everythings digital music leaks digitally (Ie the interweb), so they'd have to go back to basics to stop leakage.

That's a really good point. I've always thought vinyl would outlive CDs, but I never thought of any concrete justification. But yeah, really interesting point.

echowall
04-23-2006, 12:36 PM
hi guys.

Even though the cd format makes forFAR less intersting art these days for music, I do like 10,000 Days. When a friend of mine saw it before me, he said it was rather cartoonish, but i tend to disagree. I know the whole "eye" thing has become a staple for Tool sleevs, but this one really is haunting. Almost like a gothic totem thats stairing back at you. Any word on vinyl coming out sooner than Lateralus??
Love to see some this theme carried out on a record sleeve and cover.

Cucumber_11
04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
If they released the Vinyl and the CD at the same time i'd actually buy the vinyl first (well about 2 seconds before the CD) because you get much more for your money with vinyl. Especially the heavyweight ones. More art, more sound and more sexyness.

They probably wont release it for about a year, about the time the sales of the CD dip.

evrenseven
04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
I haven't seen this post anywhere, so if this is a repeat forgive me. I was wondering if there is any word on 10K days in vinyl... based on track lengths it seems much more handy for vinyl.

mcmurray
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm waiting for any word on this also. Now that we don't have a HDCD, vinyl will be the only way to hear this album in any sort of high - fidelity.

timstead
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyone have any info on a possible vinyl release?
for the love of god sooner rather than later.
peace
timste

Dross
04-30-2006, 10:12 PM
This thread won't deliver.

Oh and if you payed attention it took forever for the Lateralus Vinyle to come out. I wouldn't expect this one to come out any sooner.

timstead
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
won't deliver?
yeah i know that's why i bothered to ask i mean ænima was simiultanious so i was just kinda wishin i suppose.

godhenry
04-30-2006, 10:26 PM
(OK, I lied, again. This would be my third post.)

H.
LMOAO

MantisMandibles
04-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Doesn't Tool use ProTools to record nowadays? That would mean that their music is digital from the start. Vinyl pressed from a digital signal can't really be called analog. It's more of an analog reproduction of a digital signal. All of that data which is missing from the initial digital recording is still gone. You can't get it back. If you want the real analog experience, get music which was recorded on open reel, meaning anything recorded 10 or so years ago or more.

mcmurray
05-01-2006, 01:33 AM

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Piss off.

Window Licker
05-01-2006, 01:36 AM

It does have a certain warmth and character, doesn't it?

Window Licker
05-01-2006, 01:36 AM
If you want the real analog experience, get music which was recorded on open reel, meaning anything recorded 10 or so years ago or more.

Probably quite a bit more.

mcmurray
05-01-2006, 01:37 AM
LOL i have aenima on vinyl, do any of you?

no?

thread closed.

I do.

Window Licker
05-01-2006, 01:41 AM
More art, more sound and more sexyness.

Tell me where this "more sound" is coming from. They record digitally. The manipulate and master digitally. Then the digitally slap it on a CD. The steps for vinyl are exactly the same, except they convert it to analog before sticking it on a record. Are you saying there's something from 24-bit, 96Hz recording that's getting onto a record but not getting onto a CD?

thautis
05-01-2006, 02:13 AM
the "import" is the vinyl

Oberon
05-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Tell me where this "more sound" is coming from. They record digitally. The manipulate and master digitally. Then the digitally slap it on a CD. The steps for vinyl are exactly the same, except they convert it to analog before sticking it on a record. Are you saying there's something from 24-bit, 96Hz recording that's getting onto a record but not getting onto a CD?

Remember that guitarists prefer tube amps to solid state amplifiers.

MantisMandibles
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Probably quite a bit more.
Not necessarily. Hell, even nowadays people are still occasionally record reel to reel, even though the industry standard is ProTools. I think the White Stripes are among such groups. This summer, my band is preparing to go that route. I'll tell ya, that ¼ inch tape is getting fucking expensive. I think there are only one or two companies still manufacturing the stuff. It's a shame too, because digital can suck a dick compared to natural tape compression.

boondie
05-01-2006, 02:39 AM
That would mean that their music is digital from the start. actually sound is analog , even if they record to digital it's getting converted

analog (source) > digital > analog > your ears

vinyl is

except in the case of vinyl the digital to analog conversion is done by the studio, instead of the shitty DAC in your sony walkman

randysnow
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Has anyone heard about the release of 10,000 Days on Vinyl?

randysnow
05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Apparently, anyone who bitches about the way Vinyl sounds or that it is dated has never had the pleasure of listening to a wonderful vinyl with a great pair of headphones and a head full of DMT...

rocker_man1
05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Vinyl is far supirior if it is taken care of and you have a good needle. Cds like mp3s have all kinds of digital compression that bring down the sound quality. I just picked up Pink Floyd the wall on vinyl and it is so amazing and full sounding much fuller than the cd

MantisMandibles
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
vinyl is

That is only the case with vinyl pressed from music which has been recorded digitally in some manner, such as with ProTools. Older vinyls are analog through and through.

Cynical/Sarcastic
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Um, excuse my ignorance, but what is vinyl?

AMF
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Still looking for a decent record player......BTW I paid less for my Lateralus, Undertow, and Opiate LP's than I did the albums COMBINED.

Oh yeah, and I'm only 16:D

Octave13
05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
You bastards have me sold and wanting to blow 500 dollars on a decent turntable. I hope I can find a good one for cheaper, though. Could someone who's informed please point me in the right direction, so I'll know what to buy at a decent price? I ordered a signed copy of Lateralus, but now I'm thinking I'll order another regular copy just to listen to. I wish Aenima wasn't so expensive on Vinyl, after reading through this thread, I think I may have to hunt someone down and kill them for-- uh.. I mean.. buy one off ebay. :p

MantisMandibles
05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Just visit flea markets and garage sales and such. You should be able to find an old record player for cheap. You only need to drop serious cash if you're an obsessive audiophile, or a DJ.

Um, excuse my ignorance, but what is vinyl?
You're, uh, kidding, right?

Cynical/Sarcastic
05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
You're, uh, kidding, right?

No, sir/madam, I am not kidding. I have no idea what vinyl is. I've never heard of it except in relation to vinyl copies of Tool albums and such.

MantisMandibles
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
You know. Records. Vinyl. Those old LPs and 45s and so on. The things your parents listened to.

Cynical/Sarcastic
05-01-2006, 02:56 PM
You know. Records. Vinyl. Those old LPs and 45s and so on. The things your parents listened to.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cucumber_11
05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
You bastards have me sold and wanting to blow 500 dollars on a decent turntable. I hope I can find a good one for cheaper, though. Could someone who's informed please point me in the right direction, so I'll know what to buy at a decent price? I ordered a signed copy of Lateralus, but now I'm thinking I'll order another regular copy just to listen to. I wish Aenima wasn't so expensive on Vinyl, after reading through this thread, I think I may have to hunt someone down and kill them for-- uh.. I mean.. buy one off ebay. :p

In England record players are still widley sold. You can pick a decent one up for about £80 (probably about ten million dollars), so you don't need to blow 500 squids. They also can be connected to most hi-fi systems so you don't have to worry about speakers or nout.

I got mine for free :-) Stole it off my father, thats allways an option.

Ænima on vinyl would be a dream for me, I want it so badly but am not willing to pay up to $799 (sealed) for one. I'll just stick with my cheaper tool vinyls and wait patiently for 10, 000 days to be released on vinyl. I've been waiting so patiently i even worked out what tracks would be on each side...sad i know.

Side A:
Vicarious
Jambi

Side B:
Wings For Marie
10, 000 days (Wings PT 2)

Side C:
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned

Side D:
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

Or have i got the times wrong?

/end ramble

insaner
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Doesn't Tool use ProTools to record nowadays? That would mean that their music is digital from the start. Vinyl pressed from a digital signal can't really be called analog. It's more of an analog reproduction of a digital signal. All of that data which is missing from the initial digital recording is still gone. You can't get it back. If you want the real analog experience, get music which was recorded on open reel, meaning anything recorded 10 or so years ago or more.

tool def doesnt use pro tools. apc did, but tool has to be analog.

speakfree07
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Ill take a 5.1 copy of this over a vinyl...

Octave13
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
In England record players are still widley sold. You can pick a decent one up for about £80 (probably about ten million dollars), so you don't need to blow 500 squids. They also can be connected to most hi-fi systems so you don't have to worry about speakers or nout.

I got mine for free :-) Stole it off my father, thats allways an option.

Well, if a regular record player will give me better quality sound than my CD player, I'm all for it. I wasn't aware that vinyls were better sound quality before I happened upon this thread, and now I'm dying to hear how it sounds. I saw the only turn table that Best Buy was selling for 136 dollars, made by Sony. Can any of you hardcore audiophiles chime in with some advice here? Does it matter that much what kind of record player I get? I already have a pretty good surround sound speaker set-up with a Yamaha receiver, I'm hoping I can just plug it into that.

Thanks for the feedback, Cucumber. :)

MantisMandibles
05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Here's a good site that outlines the basic distinctions between digital and analog, and why analog is vastly superior:
digital sucks (http://happybob.com/marc/digital_sucks/index.htm)

insaner
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Well, if a regular record player will give me better quality sound than my CD player, I'm all for it. I wasn't aware that vinyls were better sound quality before I happened upon this thread, and now I'm dying to hear how it sounds. I saw the only turn table that Best Buy was selling for 136 dollars, made by Sony. Can any of you hardcore audiophiles chime in with some advice here? Does it matter that much what kind of record player I get? I already have a pretty good surround sound speaker set-up with a Yamaha receiver, I'm hoping I can just plug it into that.

Thanks for the feedback, Cucumber. :)

well, the player (although still important, especially the arm and deck) arent nearly as important at the needle. needles can cost upwards of 1k bucks for the high end ones. go ahread and splurge on the needle and get a decent table.

Seven Deep
05-04-2006, 05:38 PM
To a point I agree, but the table mechanism itself is important. You always want a direct drive with decent torque. Shitty belt drive models dont pull enough on their own, and rely too much on active force to move the platter, which can lead to faster wear on the vinyl. Plus many low to mid end models have cheap plastic housings that resonate and introduce distortion into the signal. A good cartridge is essential, but it can't do all the work on it's own.

Audiphile tables are worth every penny, but most of us can't afford them.
DJs can't be wrong, so go with a good used Technics 1200 mk2 or mk5. They pull like a horse and the frame is like a fucking tank. You can score them off Ebay for good prices when dummies don't understand their value.

Octave13
05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys... I was looking at a few players online yesterday... I'd have to break out the credit card and look for some freelance work to pay one o' those suckers off. After doin' a little more research, I know now that any average player won't cut it, and if I want the high quality sound I crave, I'm gonna have to shell out some cash for it. I'll have to think about whether or not it's really worth it. How big is the jump in quailty from CD to Vinyl, if you have a good record player and/or needle? If it's not a significant improvement, I don't really see the point in spending all that cash.

Seven Deep
05-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Vinyl takes a commitment to listen to (flipping platters every two songs, cleaning them and the player, ect.) If you're not the kind of person that likes to sit for a while and listen to music, don't buy a table. The difference is huge if you have the right ears.

Artistic Sickness
05-04-2006, 07:08 PM
+1 point to the people who dig vinyl.
-4 to those who dont.
-10 to those who ACTUALLY think cds are better than vinyl. Laugh is all i can do.

xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 07:13 PM

Sound is analog. Period.

Vinyl = analog is played from an analog recording of an analog performance.

CD = analog is played from a digital copy of an analog recording of an analog performance.

Granted, you've got to have a vinyl that's in good condition and a quality deck...

chaos_one666
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
sorry if this has been addressed already, but has anyone heard anything about 10,000 days being issued on vinyl?

Penny
06-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Just bought my Lateralus vinyl...sounds like "a bird of rarest spun heaven metal, or like silvery wine flowing in a space ship, gravity all nonsense now". One of the sleeves was all wrinkled though. I would kill to get my hands on a 10,000 Days one. Perhaps one day...

SpiralReflection
06-10-2006, 01:10 PM
XM Days vinyl = skeet skeet skeet!!1!

Mike$mith
06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok. I might get my head bitten off for this. But, is a Vinyl version of 10,000 days coming out? I'm just curious.

BlueSecondSun
06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
No.

seemyshadowchanging
06-15-2006, 10:48 AM
im getting it on 8 track.

Juzblome
06-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Your an Idiot

Cucumber_11
06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I spent 120 quid on vinyl when i was in london the other day and i don't feel screwed over. I got value for money. Now if i'd paid that much for CD's i probably would start feeling ill.

I did buy a CD though, lenticular Ænima for £15, oh yeah! :-D

*goes and sells it on ebay for £50*

Koan
06-15-2006, 12:37 PM

What the hell are you smoking? Vinyls sound warmer then anything out of your cd player or computer. Plus artwork (and especially for bands like Tool) doesn't belong on a cd case the size of a stamp.

Purely audiotechnically, cd's and vinyl's pressed at the moment have about equal sound quality, but due to vinyl being analog it is a precise interpretation of the sound waves and not a digital code to transcribe it.

On topic, a cool vinyl release incorperating the 3-D images would be great! How do you think they would handle that? Go with a totally new idea, or somehow work the lenses in?

spiralout11235
06-15-2006, 12:44 PM
^^ Agreed. Vinyl does sound warmer than CD's and with a band like Tool, artwork on a large 12" LP looks incredible.

I'm curious to see if they will work in stereoscopic art/lenses too. That would be fucking crazy, but who knows what they'll do. I know I won't be disappointed.

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 12:57 PM
+1 point to the people who dig vinyl.
-4 to those who dont.
-10 to those who ACTUALLY think cds are better than vinyl. Laugh is all i can do.
Hm.

I'm going to assume a good portion of you don't have much experience in the recording industry. Vinyl can sound good, but to say that it sounds better than CDs seems very silly to me.

I personally really like vinyls for the big ole packaging and having each record feel unique, instead of like some mass-manufactured 'unit.' But as far as sound quality, there is really no contest. I think that a majority of the proponents of vinyl are just of that retro frame of mind that seems to be gaining popularity these days.

And while this is just idle speculation (I cannot prove it since I wasn't recording Tool's albums, but I can make an educated assumption based on what most recording studios do), I think it would be a safe to say that the vinyl versions of any Tool album, at one point in their lives, existed as digital audio. Their albums were recorded using digital gear, and that is what is being converted to vinyl. They are not replaying the entire album to be recorded on all-analog equipment.

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
with a band like Tool, artwork on a large 12" LP looks incredible.
This is really the best reason for getting vinyl. Although, sadly, the only vinyl Tool album I have is Opiate - not much going on in the way of artwork there...

Juzblome
06-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Hm.

I'm going to assume a good portion of you don't have much experience in the recording industry. Vinyl can sound good, but to say that it sounds better than CDs seems very silly to me.

I personally really like vinyls for the big ole packaging and having each record feel unique, instead of like some mass-manufactured 'unit.' But as far as sound quality, there is really no contest. I think that a majority of the proponents of vinyl are just of that retro frame of mind that seems to be gaining popularity these days.

And while this is just idle speculation (I cannot prove it since I wasn't recording Tool's albums, but I can make an educated assumption based on what most recording studios do), I think it would be a safe to say that the vinyl versions of any Tool album, at one point in their lives, existed as digital audio. Their albums were recorded using digital gear, and that is what is being converted to vinyl. They are not replaying the entire album to be recorded on all-analog equipment.

I've been recording in a commercial facility for 5 years now. (Not that it means shit)
I'm pretty damn sure this album was NOT recorded to a digital medium. Most likely 2" 24 track tape. Or probably 2-2" 24 track analog tape machines with SMTPE timecode for Sync giving them 47 tracks. All this running through a 72 channel SSL or NEVE or AMEK console. And the prefered medium for alot of High class mastering facilities (ala Bob Ludwigs place) is still 1" 2 track tape. Not to say it wasn't dumped into Digital for editing, although I don't think Tool would NEED any editing.

I can hear a analog noise floor throughout the entire album. And unless they had noisey preamps and shitty A/D converters, the noise would not be that loud. I use converters in a SONY PCM 3324 Digital tape machine at 16 Bit 48K and it is way quieter than this noise floor.

I don't know any of this as fact, but if someone asked me if I thought the album was done in Profools or any other DAW verses tape....... I put money on Tape.

I've read somewhere about Danny talking about useing tape. there are pictures on Toolband.com of 2" machines. Go here and click on recording photos and then "MACHINE". http://www.toolband.com/source/index.html

It's funny Cause when the ability to record digital first came about (Mid 80's), People thought it was great cause you can do this and that. Now 20 years later they are making all these High Definition A/D D/A converters that run at 24bit 192Khz so that the digital sounds more like tape, The thing it was made to replace.

Food for thought

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I've been recording in a commercial facility for 5 years now. (Not that it means shit)...
You make some good points, and I'd like to reiterate that my assumption that they recorded using digital gear was only speculation.

In this day and age, though, I'd find it very hard to believe that this album was recorded entirely with analog equipment. I've heard a number of people complain of harsh digital clipping on 10,000 Days. I would be lead to believe that this means that somewhere along the line, the music was converted to a digital format. Do you not think that the band could have recorded the music to tape, but then transferred it to digital during the mixing or mastering stages?

Juzblome
06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
You make some good points, and I'd like to reiterate that my assumption that they recorded using digital gear was only speculation.

In this day and age, though, I'd find it very hard to believe that this album was recorded entirely with analog equipment. I've heard a number of people complain of harsh digital clipping on 10,000 Days. I would be lead to believe that this means that somewhere along the line, the music was converted to a digital format. Do you not think that the band could have recorded the music to tape, but then transferred it to digital during the mixing or mastering stages?

During mastering.

it's so damn loud.

yeah i've been hearing the clips for awhile now.

martyrinexile86
06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Seeing as how the Lateralus vinyl release was fraught with numerous delays, ultimately to come out about 4 years the album's initial release, it's possible that the 10K Days will recieve a similar fate, if it does in fact, get released in said format at all.

harbong
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
didn't I start this poll?
...strange.

Jimmeny
06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow, five pages of 'analogue versus digital' debate. I probably have nothing new to add. Neither are better, it's a silly argument. When they bring out analogue warmth cds, we'll have a winner.

AMF
06-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I WANT THIS VINYL NOW!!!!!!!!!

AMF
06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Purely audiotechnically, cd's and vinyl's pressed at the moment have about equal sound quality, but due to vinyl being analog it is a precise interpretation of the sound waves and not a digital code to transcribe it.

That's why the records, despite the between song clicks and little hiccups from the record player itself, sound much more full and real than CD's do. There's a depth to the music.

doll-pin-joe
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
OK. Here's How it is.

From an Interview with Joe Barresi

http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

The Drums for 10,000 days were recorded on an API console (analogue) to a Studer A827 2" Tape Machine (analogue).

For the Rest of the instruments and vocals, the desk used is unknown (to my knowledge) but they were still recorded to a Studer A827.

So, Analogue.

Then Barresi transfered the tracks into Pro-Tools for editing, mixing and finally, (the Stereo mixes of course) on to Bob Ludwig at Master disk for mastering on a Pyramix System.

So, in order to make a Vinyl, the mixing process will have to be re-done from the ground up on the orignal 2".

I'm not letting that get in the way of my hopes! :P

Finally, to those who don't get vinyl and somehow think that a set bit rate of quality is better than an infinately unvariable one, think on this.....

Why would Tool, a very dynamic, heavy metal band wish to release their material on such a dated and poor quality medium? and don't bring up tapes or 8-tracks etc, because they're a whole different ball park! very poor frequency and dynamic range. Yes a vinyl may have more noise, but this is due to such a wide dynamic range. (that's good by the way) To quote Danny "We don't care if we're the loudest thing on the radio. We just want you to maintain our dynamics."

So, there you go. Go read a book on the fundamentals of sound if you still disagree, then come back and argue. Hell, do some experiments importing a CD file and the same song from vinyl into a DAW, it'll stare you in the face.

sorry if that all looks too much to read or i've trod on other peoples toes with my points.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM

They're both good, one is just more expensive than the other =)

And I highly doubt Tool would consider releasing albums on CD's if you "couldn't hear them on it".

godhenry
09-16-2008, 09:55 PM
can't believe we're still arguing about vinyl vs. cds. there's a reason why some people spend over $10k on just the record player (i.e., $10k in addition to the cost of the rest of the system). but hey stick to you cds. at least you don't have to spend hours calibrating to perfection a CD player once everything few months ;)