PDA

View Full Version : TOOL being covered

smk4813
03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Has anyone actually heard another band pulling a GOOD TOOL cover? Because they are not a dime a dozen. If so, please list.....

paraflux
03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Has anyone actually heard another band pulling a GOOD TOOL cover? Because they are not a dime a dozen. If so, please list.....

Cover bands cannot do Tool justice. Besides, if you are going to approach a Tool song, it is necessary to show them respect by doing your own version of the song and not trying to do it verbatim. The only song my old band (with elevate) felt comfortable doing was Stinkfist. We had a different middle part, I could not remember it now if my ass depended on it, but we approached it with the idea that we cant just do a carbon copy of it and feel good about it. We had to make it our own. It was the same with Tom Sawyer, which I enjoyed playing more than Stinkfist.

symbiosis
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Cleopatra records made a Tribute to tool... You can check that out I guess...

There's this particular local band that I enjoy that made a cover, I don't exactly remember the song they did (it was 2 years ago), but this is a reputable band, IMO... if you can find it, give it a listen... They used to be called OHM, but now they go by Opus Dai...

Spongebob
03-02-2005, 12:11 PM
slimp bizket covered opiate, and staind covered sober.

Carny_Handles
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
slimp bizket covered opiate, and staind covered sober.

i think the operative word in the original post was "GOOD"

smk4813
03-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah but there's like Æight tribute cds.......are any of them worth checking out?
I hear the string tribute are really beautiful (Third Eye Open & Metamorphic).

5th Eye
03-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I hear the string tribute are really beautiful (Third Eye Open & Metamorphic).Yes, buy them, they are really good. The only song on there I don't like is Ticks & Leeches, and only the beginning. That's some really good stuff. I kinda want to look into the Baroque tribute, anyone heard it?

Chris_Brightwell
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
The String Tributes are interesting, but get boring for me.

I've yet to hear a solid cover or tribute that I cared for. I've heard a few great remixes, but that's it.

5th Eye
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I've heard a few great remixes, but that's it.I've heard the Stinkfist remix, it's not too bad; but I don't know where to find others besides P2P networks.

DeRais
03-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Who's up for a bluegrass tribute?
I know it sounds corny, but they have one for led zeppelin, santana, etc., and it sounds really cool..

SmallWangedMan
03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
I'd buy a bluegrass tribute album.

With Tool covers, the drums can be really tricky, even if you're awesome enough to play em you almost certainly don't have the equipment. And if the drums are off you've basically fucked the song.

smirk
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Who's up for a bluegrass tribute?
I know it sounds corny, but they have one for led zeppelin, santana, etc., and it sounds really cool..

theyre's a band called Hayseed Dixie that does that sort of stuff

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Breaking Benjamin covers a lot of their songs. Not bad, but not good.

YURAKAPTIV
03-03-2005, 04:45 PM
theyre's a band called Hayseed Dixie that does that sort of stuff
There's a whole series called Pickin' On(insert band name here), a lot are really good,I've got the Fade to Bluegrass album also,bluegrass version of Metallica's Fade to Black,better than original Metallica

5th Eye
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
...better than original MetallicaThat's not too hard to do.

thirdseason17
03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
At battle of the bands at my school last year a band covered stinkfist, and it was the best tool cover I have ever heard. It was impressive, they had it nailed.

Andy DV
03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
my friends band also covered stinkfist and it was really good. he got his guitar to sound fucking exactly like adams.

i also saw a band that was a guitar, keyboard and trombone do sober. it was good in a funny, creative kind of way.

surprisingly (or not), tool is probably the #1 most covered band for local rock bands. its never gonna be that great when you're as familiar with the songs as you and i are, but for the uninitiated it might sound cool.

Seven Deep
03-04-2005, 01:15 AM
I've already plugged them before, but

http://www.toolcoverband.com/

and yes....they do a good job.

Isac Khrondor
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah I have a few covers albums, some are really well done, but others just suck.

searchforme
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
The String Tributes are interesting, but get boring for me.

I've yet to hear a solid cover or tribute that I cared for. I've heard a few great remixes, but that's it.

quoted for truth

the string album is kinda weak..............actually, very weak

5th Eye
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Let's agree to disagree.

5th Eye
03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Wait, but if we're both agreeing, then we're not disagreeing...gahhh!

Believer
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see more songs being covered. Usually (not all the time) I just see and hear Stinkfist, Sober, and Schism being covered, mix it up a bit people. I almost give Limp Bizkit credit for covering Opiate.

Secondary School Slut
03-04-2005, 02:04 PM
i hate tool

5th Eye
03-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Congratulations.

EricMatthewLeavell
03-05-2005, 01:15 AM
my band covered jerk-off (live) (with the cool interlude), and H., and an acoustic guitar Pushit (live). and an acoustic guitar reflection (we had a gig in a restaurant, and did acoustic stuff, i was on tablas, guitarist on guitar, and drummer on dumbek)

holy reality
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
i think if you cover them you should either:
try your damdest to sound good and similar
or:
try your damdest to take it in a new direction

my "band" (yeah right) wants to cover (my idea) no quarter... a cover of a cover..... if my imagination and my guitar skills were equal I could do some cool shit with it though, mix it up a little.... but...

well, i doubt this "band" is going anywhere, but i really hope something will fucking click.

and the thing is if you are playing for impatient hillbillies you HAVE to play stinkfist, sober, h, aenema, or schism, because otherwise they get restless and bored.... unless you use brainwave encoding and put them in a trance... which i plan on attempting if i ever play a show.

5th Eye
03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I think any Tool cover band should try to take it in an entirely new direction. I just got finished (out of boredom) writing a really heavy version of The Grudge on my computer, for example.

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Have you ever posted any mp3's of your music?

Edit: directed at holy

SiGuy
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I think any Tool cover band should try to take it in an entirely new direction. I just got finished (out of boredom) writing a really heavy version of The Grudge on my computer, for example.

could i somehow get it? for curosities sake, is it guitar/bass/drum tabs? or a remix, or a little o both.

pacifister
03-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I love the String tributes and I'm hoping the baroque tribute (Chamber Made) is cool. I've always wanted to hear a full symphony do an orchestral tribute. (Imagine hearing Lateralus, or Reflection with full strings and woodwind sections, and a hell of a lot of timpani in the percussion section.

5th Eye
03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
could i somehow get it? for curosities sake, is it guitar/bass/drum tabs? or a remix, or a little o both.It's basically almost the same bassline, a modded guitar line, a new guitar line (2 of them total) and all new drums, which probably blow compared to Danny. I did it in a little music editing program, so I can make it a MIDI (which sounds bad) or a WAV, or tabs if you like. I'll see if I can upload it somehow.

SiGuy
03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
tabs for the guitar lines would be awesome, i'v reas so many tabs i can practically looka one and hear it in myhead, if you have gmail you could send it to me via wavishness, if you dont have gmail, but want it i could invite you. that goes for anyone else in here.

holy reality
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Have you ever posted any mp3's of your music?

Edit: directed at holy
yeah maybe a few.

my music is very disjointed and improvised, i just improvise, layer, improvise, layer... and i get some good vibes going on, but other times it doesn't fit well.

i don't try to "recreate" all the good pieces because I forget what I did, and how I dialed in my tone, and I just don't entirely feel like it.

5th Eye
03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
tabs for the guitar lines would be awesome, i'v reas so many tabs i can practically looka one and hear it in myhead, if you have gmail you could send it to me via wavishness...Yeah, I have Gmail, just send me your address. I think I'll just do a highish-quailty MP3; tabs are boring to write out, but I'll see if I have time.

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
03-14-2005, 04:05 AM
i think if you cover them you should either:
try your damdest to sound good and similar
or:
try your damdest to take it in a new direction

yup

smk4813
03-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I guess people only cover Stinkfist, Sober, Schism, and Ænema b/c there are only four TOOL songs in the world.

Anyone who says differently is a shark headed human worm baby.

Cyanide ChrYst
03-14-2005, 03:21 PM

I heard Staind cover Sober, and FUCKING EVANESCENCE cover Orestes.

I now desparately seek vengeance.

5th Eye
03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Staind's cover of Sober, while hard to hear due to bad live production (or bootleg, whatever), isn't that bad. They just copied it exactly though, no modification, which is silly.

If you're going to cover a song, be it Tool or otherwise, make it different than the original!!!

The 5th Eye hath spoken.

TheHolyGift
04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I have yet to hear a good one, probably because most people who try to cover Tool are just dumbasses who listen to the VERY WORST nu-metal on the planet. I am planning to cover something with my band, H. or Parabola are the ones I'm deciding between.

KJM
04-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Back in highschool I was part of a rather good cover of the slow version of pushit. I know it sounds silly to sound so "It was awesome". But I've got it on tape, and the music is all spot on (except for one small spot) and the vocals came out better then I had hoped.

As for actual bands...no one's done a really great job. I hate breaking benjamin, but their live cover of aenema is alright.

Andy DV
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Staind's cover of Sober, while hard to hear due to bad live production (or bootleg, whatever), isn't that bad. They just copied it exactly though, no modification, which is silly.

i believe the singer took it down an octave so that he could hit the notes.

5th Eye
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think so. Manyard sings most of it pretty low.

Peon
04-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't think so. Manyard sings most of it pretty low.
Except for the really high chorus. Aaron Lewis does sing the second chorus low like the first one, but the last time he does a really good job of belting that shit out.

SmallWangedMan
04-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I've never heard it, but if have to be great to convince me to grudgingly admit something Staind has done isn't terrible.

Kelly
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I've never heard it, but if have to be great to convince me to grudgingly admit something Staind has done isn't terrible.

i would have to agree, they did a pearl jam cover that was crap as well.

KJM
04-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Except for the really high chorus. Aaron Lewis does sing the second chorus low like the first one, but the last time he does a really good job of belting that shit out.

I wouldn't say it's very high, especially when you compare it with people who sing really high;-)

LP|Stang
04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
If you're going to do a cover of Tool, do it exact.

I know I wouldn't want to hear a bunch of local bands terrorizing a great song with their own 'musical genious.'

Fuck that.

KJM
04-10-2005, 11:30 AM
If you're going to do a cover of Tool, do it exact.

I know I wouldn't want to hear a bunch of local bands terrorizing a great song with their own 'musical genious.'

Fuck that.

*cough*genius*cough* =)
But I agree. It's not like tool hasn't done exact covers of songs.

LP|Stang
04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Who gives a fuck what Tool has done . . .

I'm saying, don't try to change a Tool song if you're covering it, you'll fucking ruin it.

KJM
04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Who gives a fuck what Tool has done . . .

I'm saying, don't try to change a Tool song if you're covering it, you'll fucking ruin it.

Ohhhhhh well then. In that case....yea, you're wrong.

Believer
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Don't care so much buddy anyways here's my O. I would probly have a lot more fun just playing the songs the way they are, rather than kicking myself around trying to make them different just for a few people. If you think you can make a good version of a song then go ahead and try, the truth is I've listened to Tool many times trying to figure out how I would want to make something different for a cover and I've never have. There's not a damn thing I'd like to change in any of their songs if I were to cover them. I think Stang's right, alot of people would probly just fuck them up, and I'd really fucking hate to watch it.

But do what you want, it's all fun and games, there is no right or wrong.

DeRais
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
The only thing I change when I play Tool is usually the solos or some section that lends itself easily to jamming over..

KJM
04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
But do what you want, it's all fun and games, there is no right or wrong.

Right, that's what I'm saying.

I don't care if someone changes or doesn't change a song. If I like it, cool..if I don't, oh well. I don't have to hear it again. I do feel like if you're going to change something..it shouldn't be forced. A lot of the times I listen to music and I think to myself.."I think this would sound better if this was changed around a bit here", or whatever.

5th Eye
04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Yeah...covers should try to improve on the song or change the style in a good/personal way.