PDA

View Full Version : Playing Ticks & Leeches

Blair
11-20-2002, 03:03 PM
This song would have to be the most fun of any tool song to play in my experience (I'm talking guitar here, drums would be pure insanity.) Adam definately has a unique style of simplicity and power and learning to play various tool songs makes you aware of his thought processes somewhat.

P.S. This is my first post and I really like what I see so far.
P.P.S No, I'm not the TOOLBAND.COM webmaster before anyone asks and yes, this is my real name.

Norfleet
11-20-2002, 10:45 PM
So me and a couple guys are getting a band together for Battle of the Bands here on campus sometime in the spring, and we were practicing not too long ago. We were trying to decide what to play, and I jokingly suggested Ticks and Leeches, because I know the drum part is a bitch (I'm a guitar player). But our man jonathan was like "Hold on a second" and sat and thought about it, then he started wailin' away. Then he stopped after the intro and was like "OK that's all I know and I'm tired" and me and the other guy matt are just standing there like "He really just played that. Wow" I have utmost respect for anyone that can play drums for this song

Brock
11-22-2002, 05:27 AM
as scary as it may sound, i think there are harder tool songs than t&L on drums. Triad probably, The grudge.

sonor+paiste
11-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Brock
as scary as it may sound, i think there are harder tool songs than t&L on drums. Triad probably, The grudge.
Scary indeed...As a drummer I definitely think that The Grudge is harder, (that ending, geez) but not many more are...Third Eye and Lateralus maybe...T&L is actually pretty straightfoward compared to alot of other songs, i.e. Lateralus. T&L is just fast and requires A LOT of finesse, esp.with the ghost notes on the opening tom pattern and the hi-hat pattern in the second verse.

rickiep00h
11-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Take a good hard listen to parabola. THAT'S some hard stuff. Danny's just all-around good, and the album is FULL of hard stuff.

Cracker
11-24-2002, 12:40 AM
Schism was the hardest for me to learn (bass player here), but mainly because of the awkward metres (27/16?!?!) . After listening to and playing all of their songs, I think the Grudge is probably their most technically complex song overall. I still have trouble playing the end bit, even though its sortof straight forward (quite a simple riff, but the beats per bar go 5, 5, 5, 6).

seeyouauntie
11-24-2002, 12:42 AM
i think the song undertow was the hardest for me to learn, the ending is weird.

RandomJohnson
11-24-2002, 10:15 AM
bassist here...

Ticks is definitely one of my favorite tool songs to play. The rythm of the song is just so engrossing. When I play it I literally get lost in the main verse riff (lost in the high kind of way, not lost as in loosing my count and messing up). While schism is still the most fun song to play off of lateralus (I love double hammer-ons), Ticks is just such an intense experience to hear off of your bass.

Grommell
11-25-2002, 09:06 AM
I like to use ticks' riffs to adjust whatever tuning my guitars in to near-perfect Drop D. Its a good reference imho.

Leah
11-26-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by RandomJohnson
bassist here...

Ticks is definitely one of my favorite tool songs to play...

I know what you mean, I think Ticks will always be one of my favourite songs to play and I think most other bassist would agree. But then alot of Tool songs are crazy to belt out. All frustration just leaves your body and the world passes you by

Cracker
11-26-2002, 01:52 AM
I love playing hooker with a penis. I also love playing the song.

My favorite song to play is probably pushit. It gives you so much room to improvise bits.

MushroomStamp
11-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Norfleet
I have utmost respect for anyone that can play drums for this song

This song is actually one of the easiest of danny's to play. It just sounds tough with the double bass (which is VERY straight forward). The hardest ones for me are Lateralis, Ænema, and The Patient. The independence and touch are truly maddening.

Comebackrunning
11-27-2002, 08:17 AM
the drummer in my band has no double bass pedal, so he plays all the tool songs requiring one using Tom3. THIS IS FUCKING NUTS!!!!!!
but he looks pretty cool on stage, especially during aenima, with his face all twisted up in agony!

Pearl Dude
11-27-2002, 02:52 PM
As a drummer, I agree that while Ticks is definitely a difficult song to play, it is not their hardest.

That intro is actually not too bad in the sense that you can pull it off without playing it exactly note for note. Pretty much any jazzy, tribal tom beats that are similar to his, with straight 16ths on the double bass in the middle and you'll be fine.

Personally, my picks for hardest are the Grudge, Lateralus, Third Eye, and the Patient...

Now those are some tough cookies.

~Zach

Blair
11-29-2002, 01:31 AM
It's good to hear some feedback from some actual drummers out there. I can understand what you mean by some of the other songs being a lot more difficult to play. Many of you mentioned Lateralus, which has a slower beat but some very awkward timing that I imagine would require a superhuman level of independant motion. The few times that I've picked up some drum sticks, I could barely force out the simplest of rhythms. Hats of to you drummers out there, it is truly an understated skill.

Cracker
11-29-2002, 03:20 AM
underrated? Bass players are the most underrated. People whine that they "can't hear them", but if they weren't there the song would fall apart. that goes with any instrument really, but bass players get the least recognition.

Blair
11-29-2002, 01:46 PM
I agree with you on that point completely. I only said that the skill of drumming was understated, not that drummers get the least credit.

I was refering more to the skill and difficulty of what they do as opposed to the recognition they receive and the significance of the instrument within the band.

InfernalMethod
11-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Triad, most definitely, is the most difficult (on drums), in my opinion.

There is a break between the intense guitar parts (I don't remember exactly where) in Triad , where Danny is playing one time signature with his feet, and another with his hands. I could, however, be wrong. I was only a percussionist for six years, and I NEVER attained that level of playing. I is possible that he's playing the same time signature but I'm too untalented to keep up with his abilities.

I remember a conversation I had with our percussion instructor about Tool when I was in high school. I asked him how hard certain drum parts were, but especially about the break in 46&2. He said that was a more difficult movement, but the most difficult things Danny does are the more subtle parts, but he gave me no examples. I think about this conversation whenever I hear that certain part of Triad, or the part in 'The Grudge' where Danny is flying double bass with paradiddles and sixlets or whatever he's doing. I hear these things and wish I'd stuck with it. Damn.

And remember, although its impressive to hear/see someone playing Tool or, dare I say it, Slipknot (UCK!), it takes much more talent to WRITE a part like this, let alone be able to play it.

Anyway, I'm gonna go drink a beer and cut myself and cry beacause I can't play drums for shit.

Ok
MSM

Cracker
11-30-2002, 01:06 AM
oh, I see blair. you're completely right on that one. My sister thinks she could play the drums first go :P

Originally posted by InfernalMethod
And remember, although its impressive to hear/see someone playing Tool or, dare I say it, Slipknot (UCK!), it takes much more talent to WRITE a part like this, let alone be able to play it.

This is a truth often overlooked, and I'm glad you pointed it out. I can play every bassline in every Tool song that I've heard, however that doesn't mean I'm anywhere near the level of skill Justin is at. Any decent bass player can play Schism, but try writing something that awesome.

And as for the different time signatures in triad, I think they are complementary ones, like 6/8 and 2/4 (still, its fucking hard playing in both simultaniously). I don't have a copy of the song on me at the moment, but I'll definitely check it out.

mne pohuy
11-30-2002, 09:45 PM
On a drummer's note, I think this is a pretty hard song to play (if i'm even playing it right at all). I looked at the music in my Modern Drummer, Danny has incredible stick control. He can easily put ghost notes and accents together like nothing. It's amazing. Then the double bass at then, DAMN that man has chops like non other.... (well maybe not like Dennis or Billy) but still... If anyone can figure out those fills that he does at just before the (hope this is what you wanted) par, please post, it sounds like he's doing one of his mad skills in which he plays alternate beats on the toms and bass. Other than the technicalities, this song's meter is pretty easy, it's mainly 7 and some 8.

nick_cacio
12-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Not to sound condescending, but I think all the drummers on here don't really know what they're talking about when they say that the intro to Ticks and Leeches is relatively easy. Yeah, I can play something that sounds a lot like the beginning, but it's really nowhere even close to being played correctly. He is played 32nd notes on the toms...with his LEFT hand throughout the whole intro. Some of you are also saying that for the whole intro he's throwing in single stroke rolls with double bass, but he doesn't do this until the middle. If you ever get a chance to read a transcription for this song, it is only then, that I think you can truly appreciate the sheer difficulty of this song on drums. Also, it's not just the intro either, somebody mentioned the hi-hat work in the 2nd verse, and i agree completely. Despite what I've just said, though, I, too, don't think this is the hardest song on Lateralus. I would have to go with Triad, The Grudge, or Parabola. I believe that Danny Carey is one of the top three drummers in the history of modern drumming... The only guys in the same ballpark being Dennis Chambers and Tony Williams. To even think about the drum parts on any Tool song from Lateralus or Aenima...it just honestly takes my breath away. He is nothing short of a musical genius.

MushroomStamp
12-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Danny is a fantastic drummer, but to say he is one of the three best in history is a little naive. Its true he has outstanding touch, independence, and comp skills, but to put him above people like Terry Bozzio, Akira Jimbo, Trilok Gurtu, and too many great jazz players to mention is a little gratuitous.

nick_cacio, I am still not convinced that this is a particularly difficult song. If you want to hear some REALLY demanding and mind bending stuph, listen to some Farmers Market or Dillinger Escape Plan.

nick_cacio
12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
I was going a little overboard when I said he was one of the top 3. Maybe one of the top 3 ROCK drummers, now i WILL stand by that conviction! But, I still believe that relative to Danny's other work, this is definitely one of the hardest songs to play. Mushroomstamp, thanks a bunch for giving me some new stuff to listen to! I really appreciate it, and I'll check it out. Thanks.

MushroomStamp
12-07-2002, 07:04 AM
Nick_cacio,

the farmers market will probly be tough to find. If you want to b&p me I'll hook you up.

[email protected]

drum_dood
12-23-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Comebackrunning
the drummer in my band has no double bass pedal, so he plays all the tool songs requiring one using Tom3. THIS IS FUCKING NUTS!!!!!!
but he looks pretty cool on stage, especially during aenima, with his face all twisted up in agony!
hey, on aenima, danny plays the sixlets with his bass drum and his toms, so i'm guessin the drummer in your band doesn't sound as great as danny plays it, but then again, nobody can play it as great as danny can...

the reverend
12-23-2002, 07:44 AM
This thread only reminds me (once again) of the need for a musicians section in these forums.

Mods!!!