PDA

View Full Version : skills

DeRais
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Tool displays great musicianship in all of their albums, and they have been getting progressively better

How cool would it be to just hang out with Adam and see what kind of crazy shit he is capable of technically...Just to chill with Justin and see just how technically proficient he is..

Adam has displayed it partially on cold and ugly, as well as a little on third eye, but I'd think it would just be awesome to see him just go for it u know?

TheHolyGift
02-23-2005, 09:13 AM
It would be pretty cool, only in person though.

eonbluekarma
02-23-2005, 12:38 PM
The reason why Tool is so good is because each person creates something new to add to every song. They are not just a band because each one of them is a musician, just look at all the "side project" they undertake; and the pure, untainted energy and emotion that comes along with all of their abilites just elevates the music above all rock today.

eonbluekarma
02-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Adam is one of my favorite guitarists of all time, and i think in his own rite he has already just laid it all out there, but as far as him just getting all complicated with his solo's and that kind of shit; lets just let the musicians decide.

Also Adam was rated one of the top hundred guitarist off all time in Rolling Stone, if that means anything?

eonbluekarma
02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
i wasnt trying to be funny, i was merely pointing out how much the magazine rolling stone has sucked the past 20 years. no need for the anger or hostilities

.TP
02-23-2005, 03:22 PM
uh oh.... triple post.

DeRais
02-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I meant that it would be cool to like hang out with Adam in his recording space and just see him rip the guitar a new asshole...

smirk
02-24-2005, 01:42 PM
that would be so cool, and then Danny and Justin could drop by and we'd all jam

smk4813
02-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Justin is definitely a TITS bass player. It makes me wonder if he bassed like this when he played for Peach. Has anyone heard any of their songs?

On a side note, Justin had a special guest appearance as a guest bassist on one of the songs for Isis's latest album. I think it was called "Panopticon."

SiGuy
02-26-2005, 02:26 AM
adams guitar playing skills arent what make him a great guitarist(in my opinon). he falls Very short in technical ability compared to other 'great' guitarists. he even said that he sometimes feels inadequate due to his lack of playing ability, what he does have, however, is an incredibility to compose music, which is why everything he plays sounds so awesome, but everybdy can play it, i mean all that funkey stuff in third eye is a mix of pick screpes, wahs, distortion and overdubbing. but the fact that he Wrote it is what's really cool. as a guitarist myself, i would have to say he is one of my favourites, along with michael romeo and dimebag darrell.

side note: his silverburst custom is one of the awesomest guitars ever made and if i could get one i'd jizz in my pants.

sound.out.light
02-26-2005, 09:06 AM
adams skill lies in his ability to make simple riffs sound complex.
but tool isnt THAT technically inclined.
they just make great music

matthewx
02-26-2005, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=SiGuy]adams guitar playing skills arent what make him a great guitarist(in my opinon). he falls Very short in technical ability compared to other 'great' guitarists. he even said that he sometimes feels inadequate due to his lack of playing ability, what he does have, however, is an incredibility to compose music, which is why everything he plays sounds so awesome, but everybdy can play it, i mean all that funkey stuff in third eye is a mix of pick screpes, wahs, distortion and overdubbing. but the fact that he Wrote it is what's really cool. as a guitarist myself, i would have to say he is one of my favourites, along with michael romeo and dimebag darrell. /QUOTE]

I second that notion!!! I play guitar as well, and don't think adam even comes close to some of the greatest, technically. One of my favorite guitarist is eric clapton. After seeing him live a few years ago, i was blown away by some of his solos.

SiGuy
02-26-2005, 01:50 PM
adams skill lies in his ability to make simple riffs sound complex.

that doesnt even make sense, please explain.

Carny_Handles
03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
that doesnt even make sense, please explain.

simple take an easy riff and add a funky time signature to it, or accent odd notes.. there's more you can do but.. yeah.

bwood99x
03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
adams guitar playing skills arent what make him a great guitarist(in my opinon). he falls Very short in technical ability compared to other 'great' guitarists. he even said that he sometimes feels inadequate due to his lack of playing ability, what he does have, however, is an incredibility to compose music, which is why everything he plays sounds so awesome, but everybdy can play it, i mean all that funkey stuff in third eye is a mix of pick screpes, wahs, distortion and overdubbing. but the fact that he Wrote it is what's really cool. as a guitarist myself, i would have to say he is one of my favourites, along with michael romeo and dimebag darrell.

side note: his silverburst custom is one of the awesomest guitars ever made and if i could get one i'd jizz in my pants.

I agree with that, I'm just now starting to play guitar and it seems as adam makes the music more beautiful rather than fast or hard; but in the end i'd much rather listen to beautiful music than fast never ending solos

5th Eye
03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
I agree with that, I'm just now starting to play guitar and it seems as adam makes the music more beautiful rather than fast or hard; but in the end i'd much rather listen to beautiful music than fast never ending solosExactly...which is why Tool is so appealing, and why I can't listen to Dream Theater or Symphony X (the complex stuff) for more than 10 minutes or so.

Vlad
03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
People dig bands with skilsss: microphone skills, guitar string skills, drum stick skills, recording skills, concert bus skills... Bands won't be liked unless they got skills!

5th Eye
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
You aren't liked because of bad quoting skills.

Spongebob
03-05-2005, 02:45 PM
remember that news about him making an akbum where he made music with other people, with lustmord or something. also i remember reading something from blair saying he had been carrying around an acoustic guitar for awhile.
just makes me wonder if the guitar will step forward a bit in technical and excting ways perhaps.

jar_4_ever
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
It should be obvious that Danny brings the most technical skill to the group. Justin and Adam are great musicians and songwriters, but from a professional musician's standpoint their parts are easy. Adam is very detail oriented, the tabs are really simple. The complexity comes from his work with effects and nuances (sp). If you've seen Tool live you'll know that he plays bare foot and moves his feet (and toes) almost as fast as his hands. Justin is unique, he is almost more of a guitarist then a bassist (in the way he plays and writes). He relies on the details just like Adam. You could say Maynard has good technical ability, but it's hard to judge this with vocals. Either way he has a great range and presence, which I guess is what you would call technical ability. However, it's a moot point because each member's technical ability is irrelevant. It's a group, and what comes out of the group as a whole is all that matters.

SiGuy
03-05-2005, 11:35 PM
"synergy" is the word that i think you were looking for.

deviatedwolf625
03-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Tool,not technical? That's kinda funny, because they're among the most technical groups I can think of.

Tool is not melodically technical. The phrasing and motifs aren't very complex, by themselves. You put the fact that underneath it, Danny is playing in god only knows how many time signatures, changing time sigs each measure, and adding some weird as fuck accents in strange and quirky time signatures. if you were playing along to him, what would you play? Most of us would be lost, especially trying to count what he's playing. You try playing over something that goes 7/8, 4/4, 9/8, with offbeats.