PDA

View Full Version : No Quarter Answer?

simple1
02-22-2005, 01:22 PM
MESSAGE IN "NO QUARTER" ON TOOL'S SALIVAL
"Dear Blair, I I'll try not to babble or run on, I realize you have a lot of these to read, so here goes. I have discovered a subliminal message in the song No Quarter on the Salival CD/DVD, I have had several friends listen to it, so I know I'm not just hearing things, or wishing I were. However, we all share one thing in common: none of us can discern what it is that Maynard is saying. I was wondering if you would do me a considerable kindness and either a. Tell me what it says, or b. tell me where I can find out and how."

THE REPLY:

Just in case there's somebody living in a cave who doesn't know about this, lots of people have attempted to isolate the so-called subliminal message (whispered by MJK while in the recording studio and not in his well-stocked wine celler) via high tech audio equipment, and some have posted their findings on the internet. Although I've yet to read a single posting that contains the correct answer, there's always a chance that someone has discerned the actual message, and that I've missed his/her posting. However, since I have received hundreds of emails over the years asking about the message, I am happy to address this issue. First of all, my advice to anyone interested or obsessing over this matter is that I wouldn't waste too much time tryiing to figure it out. That's because the message is NOW totally irrelevant. Secondly, in my reply here, I have given the answer as to what is being said, albeit somewhat cryptically - but it's all right here in these very words. But, like I said, it's now irrelevant, so let's move on, shall we.

This was pulled straight from http://www.toolband.com

I'm wondering if any of you know what he's referring to as far as the answer. He said that it's in his response, "albeit somewhat cryptically." I've been looking over this thing for hours and have listened to "No Quarter" about 5 times since I've read it and still don't know what's up with it.

Any thoughts?

consumer#417
02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
thought: you're a sucker...

simple1
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
thought: you're a sucker...

Thanks. I appreciate your insight.

consumer#417
02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
anytime...

simple1
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
anytime...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I figured as much. ;)

nipploleon dynomight
02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
There is an actually site dedicated to subliminal messages, there were a couple of things that sound close....

One theory:
"We want you to sign up to Toolnavy, then start a thread about this..."

Theory 2: (seriously)
People have said that it hints about Lateralus, So that's why BMB would say it doesn't matter anymore. BMB is an asshole anyways.

And no I won't give you the link to the site, I amde it up.

Tyson
02-22-2005, 02:09 PM
It's someone's address.

Looks like hitting refresh at toolband paid off for you simple1.

vic1torious
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Since blair said the message was irrelevant know it had me thinking. I thought about when the song was recorded and what was going on in the world at that time. I did a quick search on yahoo for no quarter tool subliminal messages. It brought me to the tool news page, which was weird. It wasnt recent news, but the older news. I stumbled upon one such posting by blair that mentioned tool's latest album was in jeopardy because of a celestial object that could be headed towards earth. The post mentions something about lots of materials including wine, being shipped to arizona bay. I found it odd he mentioned that thing about how the lyrics were recorded in the studio and not in MJK's wine cellar in this recent post. Maybe the recent message with the cryptic meaning had something to do with the way tool would stop making albums because they would no longer have any fans to hear the music. Blair mentioned that they all had shelters with supplies so they could survive such an impact. The wine cellar refrence could be a joke about what maynard calls his fallout shelter. Does anyone else think this idea makes sense?

ps

the reason its irrelevant now is because this impact was supposed to occur in 2003, its 2005 now and we're all still alive, making the message irrelevant.

neo_taboolie
02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
It's irrelevant because I don't care...

SaTaNs_LiTtLe_HeLpEr
02-22-2005, 02:28 PM
did someone say message?

smirk
02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Since blair said the message was irrelevant know it had me thinking. I thought about when the song was recorded and what was going on in the world at that time. I did a quick search on yahoo for no quarter tool subliminal messages. It brought me to the tool news page, which was weird. It wasnt recent news, but the older news. I stumbled upon one such posting by blair that mentioned tool's latest album was in jeopardy because of a celestial object that could be headed towards earth. The post mentions something about lots of materials including wine, being shipped to arizona bay. I found it odd he mentioned that thing about how the lyrics were recorded in the studio and not in MJK's wine cellar in this recent post. Maybe the recent message with the cryptic meaning had something to do with the way tool would stop making albums because they would no longer have any fans to hear the music. Blair mentioned that they all had shelters with supplies so they could survive such an impact. The wine cellar refrence could be a joke about what maynard calls his fallout shelter. Does anyone else think this idea makes sense?

ps

the reason its irrelevant now is because this impact was supposed to occur in 2003, its 2005 now and we're all still alive, making the message irrelevant.

makes more sense then most of what Blair says

LP|Stang
02-22-2005, 05:27 PM
But still utter bullshit.

GregoryWohlwend
02-22-2005, 05:33 PM

ps

no, i think you're "right" the reference to the "cave" and "maynards wine cellar" were the only off-kilter comments made by Blair, so we can gather that it has something to do with that inevitably. maybe it's a pre-apocalyptic warning to buy more of maynards wine or something like that, either way i'd rather spend my time doing something productive than hanging on every whisper of the 'nard.

Estevan
02-24-2005, 01:56 PM
That's precicely what I thought when I read it, vic1torious.

T00L
02-25-2005, 09:14 PM
I know what it is...

Fractal
02-26-2005, 02:53 AM
I know what it is...

Yeah I do too. All I have to say is that wine is good. The message is towards a band member. REALLY READ THE REPLY BMB GIVES CLOSELY. Think 'band member'. I love a good mystery though.

Estevan
02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Just in case there's somebody living in a caveJustin was living in a cave!

the message is NOW totally irrelevant... but not anymore.

SaturnAscends
02-28-2005, 08:36 AM
It's weird.. for the first time I heard Maynard whispering in No quarter. At about 5:32 you can hear Maynard in the background during the quiet breakdown. It seems as if he mumbles "It's okay", then pauses for a second and says something else at about 5:35. I can't make it out, but it's definately there.

5th Eye
02-28-2005, 09:47 AM
...(whispered by MJK while in the recording studio and not in his well-stocked wine celler)...Is the fact that he spelled "cellar" wrong relevant?

Perseensilmä
02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
or ants irrelev kind of ants?

5th Eye
02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Random thought...he never gives the question (part above "THE REPLY:") credit to anyone, and there's a lot of weird punctuation, etc., in it so perhaps the message is hidden there. Or someone could just tell us.

Perseensilmä
02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
The message is NOW irrelevant. It is being clearly said. Message: Now irrelevant. So maynard probably says "NOW irrelevant".

Perseensilmä
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Or... maybe, just maybe, the message is:

N.O.W (National Organization of Women) [is] totally irrelevant. Hehe. j/k

You should edit this out immediately. You spoiled it, and revealed the secret message. Asshole. And what happens if N.O.W. finds out that theyre irrelevant ? Youre in trouble man.

Estevan
03-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I know what the message was from all of the clues and from Blair's original post about this:

NEW TOOL CD IN JEOPARDY

Members of the band are seriously debating whether or not to record any new material in the future due to recent revelations concerning the close approach of a mysterious celestial object. The invader, which some maverick astronomers believe to be a brown dwarf (failed sun) and others the tenth planet of our solar system (ALA Sitchin's planet X which the ancient Sumerians called Nibiru), could be responsible for perturbations in the orbits of Uranus, Neptune as well as tipped over Pluto (and also puzzles regarding their moons, rings, etc.). It's existence and close approach to earth in 2003 e.a., if a reality, would have profound gravitational effects resulting in, among other things, a magnetic pole shift and/or possible earth-crust displacement. All this spells the prophesied "End Times" (and all just because someone was praying for a tidal wave). Although the band members all have underground shelters with adequate provisions to survive such a catastrophic event (for the richest bands of 2002 see 'Rolling Stone' magazine), without an audience to perform for there would be no motivation to record any new material. (NOTE: Please understand that I'm not saying Nibiru is coming. It is a bit suspicious, however, that observatories in many states are suddenly closed for "remodeling.")

* Or so I've gathered from recent construction projects going on around the clock on each band member's property. In addition to all the digging and pouring of concrete, I've also noticed that shipments of red wine are being trucked by moonlight to 'Arizona Bay', a further indication that someone is well aware that something heavy is about to go down. In case you're wondering, yes, bats have been dripping on my boxes of supplies hidden in an abandoned silver mine in Nevada for almost a year now.

But I'd like to know the exact phrase as he said it, and nobody seems to actually know that.

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Apparently not, but I'm pretty confident that that's what the message was about...no clue as to what No Quarter itself (the song) has to do with the message (besides the obvious fact that the message is in the song).

ARMZ
03-01-2005, 09:30 AM
No quarter means no mercy. They have no mercy, lock the door(underground bunkers) kill the light(make sure they can't find us) no ones coming home tonight.

I know it was originally written by Zep but just like we analyze Tool songs maybe when they were listening to Zep that they analyzed their songs.

I have no idea.

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I thought so.

Estevan
03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
They did actually change/omit lyrics from the original.

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but not too much...

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Something tells me that maybe, just maybe, N.O.W. doesn't have anything to do with it.

ARMZ
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Yea I just read it now and it's a huge change, well they left a lot of it out which is strange.

Hmmm

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
But the music is still awesome. Even though I can't remember what the original sounds like.

ARMZ
03-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I ain't never heard the OG. I see Nirvana did a cover too.

Perseensilmä
03-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Something tells me that maybe, just maybe, N.O.W. doesn't have anything to do with it.

And little do you know.

But the music is still awesome. Even though I can't remember what the original sounds like.

THE guitar riff in the original is a million times cooler.

DeRais
03-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, but Tool gave it a real kick in the ass and turned the song into more of what it could have been. The original just wasn't that heavy. The piano and guitar solos kick ass though.

5th Eye
03-03-2005, 09:50 AM
I'll have to find and download it now...

Systolic
03-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I sat down an dlistened really close last night.. and I heard the whispers, and I had always thought that they were just part of the ambient effects at work in the songs, but he's clearly saying something. Why does Maynard do this stuff to us? I guess I'm just dense, but I don't see the "encryption" in Blair's message.... Someone help me out.

5th Eye
03-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Perhaps Blair's just being an asshole.

Systolic
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Maybe... but Maynard IS saying something... and I WANNA KNOW WHAT IT IS!! WAAH!

I don't know why I want to know.. Its probably something that will make just wonder what the Hell he was talking about.

vic1torious
03-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I sat down an dlistened really close last night.. and I heard the whispers, and I had always thought that they were just part of the ambient effects at work in the songs, but he's clearly saying something. Why does Maynard do this stuff to us? I guess I'm just dense, but I don't see the "encryption" in Blair's message.... Someone help me out.
he does it to force his fans to think. i think he legitimately wants people to be smarter and concious about what is going on. i know i listen to things much closer than i ever have since i started to hear these really quiet and almost unnoticable things in tool songs.

Estevan
03-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I know what it is...And I know who really shot JFK. I'm not going to tell you.

5th Eye
03-21-2005, 09:42 AM
It was... it was... Estevan... maybe...

Tyson
03-22-2005, 10:26 PM
He's telling buzz to fuck off, Adam's his man.