PDA

View Full Version : Another Album Update

5th Eye
02-14-2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.toolband.com/index_frames.html

Evidently, the golden bowl of Jelly Belly’s in Tool’s rehearsal space is running low, because while dining on Indian cuisine the other night at the Bollywood Café, Danny told me that they’d knocked out another song that very afternoon. In describing it, he mentioned something or other about Maynard’s vocals – something that he seemed excited about, although to be perfectly honest, I really don’t remember what it was. At the time I was content with my papadam and glasses of Taj Mahal. From what he said about the timing and chord structure, however, this piece sounded like the song Adam played unplugged for Vidal last March in Havana as we sat on the balcony of a casa particulare (after eating those mysterious hamburguesas near Cementerio de Colon)...

Thanks Blair...

Oh well, it's better than nothing.

IC
02-14-2005, 05:01 PM
yeah there's a thread about this in discussion, but thanks for putting it here. interesting, huh?

5th Eye
02-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, and did you catch where it said that they have a deadline? I hope it's soon. This spring-ish.

IC
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, and did you catch where it said that they have a deadline? I hope it's soon. This spring-ish.
def

5th Eye
02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
The Roman Feast of Lupercalia is tomorrow, the 15th, just so everyone knows. Two days of Tool in a row. We need some better updates.

IC
02-14-2005, 05:19 PM
lets stop with the jelly beens and get with tool lol

The Drapery Falls
02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
lets stop with the jelly beens and get with tool lol
Red writing is kewl lol rofl.

ARMZ
02-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Yea it's wicked ain't it.

ARMZ
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
He could be singing it upside down.

TheInsideSource
02-15-2005, 02:17 AM
I think the deadline will be summer... Think about it this way... In Danny's MTV interview from March of last year he said they planned to release the album January of THIS year, but that was on the basis that Maynard returned to the band in July 2004 after the 13th Step tour... We all know Maynard stayed with APC until late September/early October to finish off eMOTIVe... Therefore that's throws back the whole process a good few months... Thus I'm predicting a fall release for this album... Hopefully the DVD should see the light of day before then, unless it's packaged with the album?!

IC
02-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Red writing is kewl lol rofl.
Hey stop trying to steal what I have rightfully stolen from M4yn4rd.

Lateral Us
02-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Wow, something i just found out for you guys:

"with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.” "

John Milton = Author from 1600's

A quote from the book in which he uses the term "the palpable obscure":

http://www.readprint.com/chapter-7362/John-Milton

To heal the scar of these corrosive fires,
Shall breathe her balm. But, first, whom shall we send
In search of this new World? whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wandering feet
The dark, unbottomed, infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his airy flight...."

Interesting, "New World", "Infinite Abyss", "Dark" , i like where this is going, lol.

5th Eye
02-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Wow, something i just found out for you guys:

"with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.” "

John Milton = Author from 1600's

A quote from the book in which he uses the term "the palpable obscure":

http://www.readprint.com/chapter-7362/John-Milton

To heal the scar of these corrosive fires,
Shall breathe her balm. But, first, whom shall we send
In search of this new World? whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wandering feet
The dark, unbottomed, infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his airy flight...."

Interesting, "New World", "Infinite Abyss", "Dark" , i like where this is going, lol.

Sweet. I like. I like a lot.

IC
02-15-2005, 04:53 PM
yeah, but what does that have to do with Tool, per say? It is cool but Im not sure where you're going with it

5th Eye
02-15-2005, 05:52 PM
yeah, but what does that have to do with Tool, per say? It is cool but Im not sure where you're going with it
If that's the kind of lyrics and themes they're going with for the new album, that sounds cool.

Lateral Us
02-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Because Blair said:

"with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.”

As in, Tools writing/arranging sessions, go well into a place (or feeling, emotion) that is best described by the Author 'John Milton' as "The Palpable Obscure", I found the description by him & i really like what TOOL could be creating in that place, because personally i think that the two songs on Lateralus that seem to give a slight glimpse of music matching the descroption of "The Palpable Obscure" would have to be Reflection & Triad, the last 2 tracks on Lateralus, & i think most people know about the link of the last song on each album with the style of the next. Just a thought tho, and based on personal opinion.

EDIT:

If that's the kind of lyrics and themes they're going with for the new album, that sounds cool.

I agree with that aswell, didnt think of that one, good point.

Faaip De Oiad
02-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they're sitting on something...

Parts of the new site should be up in about a month, and Im sure some sort of new and exciting information will be revealed

DVD bundled with a new Alex Grey book...? Food for thought I suppose...

lysegicevolution
02-15-2005, 11:06 PM
dvd bundled with free sex and a sheet of acid would be better.

i would have to agree

IC
02-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Because Blair said:

"with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.”

As in, Tools writing/arranging sessions, go well into a place (or feeling, emotion) that is best described by the Author 'John Milton' as "The Palpable Obscure", I found the description by him & i really like what TOOL could be creating in that place, because personally i think that the two songs on Lateralus that seem to give a slight glimpse of music matching the descroption of "The Palpable Obscure" would have to be Reflection & Triad, the last 2 tracks on Lateralus, & i think most people know about the link of the last song on each album with the style of the next. Just a thought tho, and based on personal opinion.

EDIT:

I agree with that aswell, didnt think of that one, good point.

o ok cool

ARMZ
02-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I wonder if this album will reflect the world in which we live in today. Looking back to the year 2000 with all the doomsday nutters going on about 'the end is nigh' and Armageddon, it seemingly passed with out a hitch and I think that reflected in Lateralus, in a sense we were on the road to enlightenment.

But then without warning 9-11 occurred and now the true nature of this current version of mankind has showed his teeth. There will never be peace in the world, these so called terrorists are fathers, mothers, sons and daughters, we all bleed, we all feel pain and I promise you that if someone killed your loved ones then you would scream revenge.

As our governments feed us lies and tell us you have nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide and what seems like freedom is the day in day out workings of a colony of ants then where are we really heading?

So what I'm getting at is the next Tool album, if it reflects the corresponding world it will be filled with evil but not in a bad way, just telling us about the evils in the world and that it's worth holding onto something bigger than your self. I can't think of one song of Tools that is depressing, and I would hate for them to start making depressing music but I think this album will be overflowing with energy that has been harnessed from all the hate that exists in the world today or a hate for people who will leave our children with such a disastrous mess to clean up.

5th Eye
02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I wonder if this album will reflect the world in which we live in today. Looking back to the year 2000 with all the doomsday nutters going on about 'the end is nigh' and Armageddon, it seemingly passed with out a hitch and I think that reflected in Lateralus, in a sense we were on the road to enlightenment.I'd actually rather it didn't, and focus more on the kind of themes Lateralus was going for, such as human nature, emotions, and inner conflict rather that outer, worldwide events.

I can't think of one song of Tools that is depressing, and I would hate for them to start making depressing music but I think this album will be overflowing with energy...Energy is good, even if it's depressing-ish. I always thought jimmy was sort of depressing, a bit, and Pushit and H. too.

5th Eye
02-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Cool.

5th Eye
02-17-2005, 01:23 PM
You mean, like, three songs that go together, or something?

5th Eye
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Just in case it goes away, and since I can't edit the first post, here's the whole article:14 Feb 05
CAMELLA HAS MY RADIO SHACK VOICE RECORDER

Evidently, the golden bowl of Jelly Belly’s in Tool’s rehearsal space is running low, because while dining on Indian cuisine the other night at the Bollywood Café, Danny told me that they’d knocked out another song that very afternoon. In describing it, he mentioned something or other about Maynard’s vocals – something that he seemed excited about, although to be perfectly honest, I really don’t remember what it was. At the time I was content with my papadam and glasses of Taj Mahal. From what he said about the timing and chord structure, however, this piece sounded like the song Adam played unplugged for Vidal last March in Havana as we sat on the balcony of a casa particulare (after eating those mysterious hamburguesas near Cementerio de Colon). I could have asked AJ, who was sitting at the other end of the table, but, at the time, he appeared to be enjoying his papadam and various exotic condiments as well, so, instead, I changed the subject and talked to Danny about Collodi’s Pinocchio.

After sampling several curries and another large Taj Mahal, I popped a green opal (an Icelandic pastille) and headed with the others to a nearby pub that we’ll call the “Slug and Lettuce” for some pints of Old Peculiar ale. While sipping the treacley stuff (molasses?), Camella mentioned something about the song being “heavy” – either that or she was talking about the Theakstons. You might be as horrified as a puffin at Porrablot (even if not among the delicacies on the menu), but I really don’t remember which it was. So, perhaps I should pay a visit to the loft tomorrow to have a listen for myself, and to see exactly how many of those new-fangled jelly beans are left in the golden bowl.

Some Tool enthusiasts might be happy to know that, in order to meet their self-imposed deadline for finishing material for the new record, the members of the band will be working on Valentine’s Day and the more heathen Roman Feast of Lupercalia, with writing/arranging sessions going well into what Milton called “the palpable obscure.” So, while some of you ladies are picking through your beribboned boxes of confectionery, Godiva or otherwise, with strawberries enrobed in chocolate and flutes of sparkling French champagne to be sipped ‘neath the waxing crescent - all because Claudius the Cruel had Saint Valentine beheaded - remember who is working hard to create more of those “chromatic tortures” that pierce the aeythrs in your bedroom. Therefore, any sightings of band members tonight only proves that their Doppelgangers also have lady friends and don’t suffer from, what has been called, the deficiency of Venus. Most of it's random crap, but yet it's a hopeful sign...

5th Eye
02-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Just like a triad is 3 entities that come together to form one whole, the the songs D/R/T do the same to create a triad, an extension or precursor of the song Triad. Now, what if the next album were to complete the the triology of AEnima, Lateralus, and whatever the next album name will be. Of course, you're leaving out Undertow here so you could already say that the triology is Undertow, AEnima, Lateralus. So then, as the double vajra (or cross-like figurine) is on the back of the lateralus sleeve, each album will be the four corners of that symbol. Maybe I'm going on a wild tangent here?I think you are...Undertow, Ænima, and Lateralus are all completely different albums (plus you're leaving out Opiate (I odn't know if it (or Salival) would count)) and wouldn't form a great triad.

On the other hand, a trio of related albums with Lateralus as the first (as the record contract states) would be awesome. I love the way Lateralus pushed their music. Two more albums like it would make my decade. Cuz that's how long it'd take.

ARMZ
02-17-2005, 03:48 PM
There is one thing that I don't want this album to be and that's political. As you said APC went down that path and that's the last thing I want Tool to do. I guess it doesn't matter what I want, as they say you get what you're given.

I'm just trying to think how this record may reflect the current times, would it be fair to say that Lateralus reflected the relationships between two human beings?, it's like the band said 'right! fuck this! fuck all these love songs on the radio, we'll show you how it should be done!' for sure we can go deeper into the wormhole that is Tool but we will never get out, when friends ask me what are Tool all about I just simply say 'the truth' of course I ramble on from there about how diverse they are but nobody cares.

As we have all read, this album sounds like it's more heavier, like there is more brute force going on, maybe that energy is being harnessed and Maynard might be ready to explode if he doesn't get he's truth out.

Man I hope he is pissed off at something but still that is what I want and what ever type of record Tool makes as a whole I'm sure I will buy.

IC
02-18-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm just trying to think how this record may reflect the current times, would it be fair to say that Lateralus reflected the relationships between two human beings?

I would say that the album deals with every form of communication.

5th Eye
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
There is one thing that I don't want this album to be and that's political.I agree, but let them do what they want.

I'm just trying to think how this record may reflect the current times...I'd rather it didn't, but that's a good way of explaining Lateralus, as a rebuttal to all the relationship-oriented music out there.

An angry record would be okay so long as every song isn't "Ticks & Leeches." Nothing against the song, but a whole album of music like that would be unTool-like and not good.

ARMZ
02-18-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree, but let them do what they want.
No! I want full control!..............do you really think I have any say in the matter? err, no. I'm just exploring possible outcomes.

I'd rather it didn't, but that's a good way of explaining Lateralus, as a rebuttal to all the relationship-oriented music out there.
That was an even better way of putting it. That was what I was trying to get across.

An angry record would be okay so long as every song isn't "Ticks & Leeches." Nothing against the song, but a whole album of music like that would be unTool-like and not good.
UnTool-like? fair enough on not wanting it to be all like T&L but when Lateralus first came out people were saying that this was unTool-like, and still do to this day. More of a cry against the album not being like Ænema. But as we all know Tool push the boundaries of music with every record.

I would say that the album deals with every form of communication.
Of course, it's not like he's singing about his relationship with his dog, or is he??? shit I better get over to the Lateralus section quick smart before someone beats me to the theory.

5th Eye
02-19-2005, 02:28 PM
UnTool-like? fair enough on not wanting it to be all like T&L but when Lateralus first came out people were saying that this was unTool-like, and still do to this day. More of a cry against the album not being like Ænema. But as we all know Tool push the boundaries of music with every record.True, yet it wouldn't seem right for them to suddenly become a hate-band like Slipknot where every song is "you suck"/T&L. Progressing like Lateralus progressed from Ænima is what I meant, that would be Tool-like.

5th Eye
02-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Also... when Danny says "they’d knocked out another song", does that mean they wrote it, or recorded it?

Also also... who's Camella?

ARMZ
02-22-2005, 07:55 PM
She's part of the staff

CAMELLA GRACE
Dominion Protectorate

5th Eye
02-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Oh...

Cuz I had this thought: If Camella has his Radio Shack voice recorder, maybe there's going to be some female vocals on the new album...

Just a theory.

5th Eye
02-23-2005, 09:34 AM
And she stole Blair's recorder...oh no...

5th Eye
02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Haha...silly brits...

Although I was being serious...wouldn't it be interesting if they broadened their music like that? Some nice female singing? I'm thinking Lacuna Coil on a smaller scale.

ARMZ
02-23-2005, 07:58 PM
I think Maynard has enough femininity to carry the weight of a female singer but no I would not like to hear chicks sing on Tool records.

5th Eye
02-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I think Maynard has enough femininity to carry the weight of a female singer but no I would not like to hear chicks sing on Tool records.True, he can make his voice go almost as high as Robert Plant (only not really, no one can)...but I didn't say I'd enjoy chicks singing. I just said it'd be interesting. I wouldn't exactly like it, I guess, it'd degrade attention from the music.

noresolution2
02-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Camella Grace is an artist who has done a lot of live art for Tool and some of the photographs that appear in the Salival booklet. She's also Adam's wife or girlfriend I think. Female backing vocals could be pretty cool, maybe similar to how Isis used them on a couple songs on Oceanic. I doubt that's what is going on here though.

5th Eye
02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Camella Grace is an artist who has done a lot of live art for Tool and some of the photographs that appear in the Salival booklet. She's also Adam's wife or girlfriend I think. Female backing vocals could be pretty cool, maybe similar to how Isis used them on a couple songs on Oceanic. I doubt that's what is going on here though.That's what I thought, Adam's wife or something...

Yeah, I doubt any female vocals too...just a thought.

hoodling1229
03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Danny's MTV interview

keyword: MTV

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
[...]Yeah, I doubt any female vocals too...just a thought.

That would be pretty cool. They're gonna have to do something groundbreaking as far as their style goes just to propel this new album above mediochrity. no doubt it will be good, but reinvention is as close to mandatory as you can get to avoid repetition.

5th Eye
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Yes, that's basically what they did with Ænima and Lateralus; the styles and different elements are so different between them. I'm really interested to see what the new album will hold (aren't we all?).

smk4813
03-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Speaking of guest vocalists, I wonder if the other guys (Adam, Justin, and Danny) can sing? That might be neat to try out....or at least be used as supporting vocals.

Just something to think about.

Johnny Truant
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Speaking of guest vocalists, I wonder if the other guys (Adam, Justin, and Danny) can sing? That might be neat to try out....or at least be used as supporting vocals.

Just something to think about.
Justin sings backup on You Lied, and he sounds pretty good. I wouldn't mind him doing a little backup on the new record.

5th Eye
03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Hmmm...never thought about that. That would be cool, because overdubbing Maynard's voice can get annoying (can you say "Fiddle and the Drum"?).

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Something else they may consider is having the other band members harmonizing. That would be a step in evolution.

DeRais
03-05-2005, 06:07 PM
if i were maynard, i wouldn't let the other band members sing. that would piss me off, even if it did sound good. it's maynard's job to sing, not the other members'. that would be like maynard playin backup bass on a couple songs.

and tool isn't a very harmonious or melodic band. it wouldn't fit their style.

Yeah, Tool isn't melodic at all...not even close to how melodic A.C. is.........

5th Eye
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
if i were maynard, i wouldn't let the other band members sing. that would piss me off, even if it did sound good. it's maynard's job to sing, not the other members'. that would be like maynard playin backup bass on a couple songs.Quite right; every member has their own job—they shouldn't interfere with each other. Overdubbed guitars, on the other hand, would be awesome under the right circumstances.

Mr. Hat
03-06-2005, 05:13 PM
and tool isn't a very harmonious or melodic band. it wouldn't fit their style.

coulda fooled me ..

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-07-2005, 04:42 AM
I think they were harmonizing on You Lied.

5th Eye
03-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Yes, but it wasn't Adam/Justin/Danny, it was that one guy from that one band. The Melvins, right?

Bill_Hix
03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
dvd bundled with free sex and a sheet of acid would be better.

Good idea, but you forgot more cowbell.

5th Eye
03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
How would they package sex in a CD anyway? A free blow-up doll? Eugh.

Ashes-TO-Ashes
03-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Ooh, a used blow-up doll. That would have the fan-boys engorged...

5th Eye
03-07-2005, 06:05 PM
*runs and hides from new Tool release*