PDA

View Full Version : Who else is bothered by the inaudible screaming?

SpareForTheWarFishers
01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
After the song tones down and it goes into the long period of mellow building up, you can hear Maynard screaming his lungs out in the backround. I know that this is no surprisie to anyone, I am not claiming to have made any type of discovery. I was just wondering if it bothers people as much as it bothers me. The vocal track is mixed to be loud enough were you can clearly hear screaming, but not hear what is being said. It is perfect! Tool never ceases to amaise me with these engineering perfections. I just cant help but wonder if maynard is screaming about something relevant or if he is screaming out annother good resapie for hash sugar cookies, maybe these ones have eggs in them, I really dont know. But it's this botheredness (if that is a word, which I dont believe it is) that makes tool awesome, I can listen to a song and know that maynard is comunicating to my subconcience mind, however I have absolutely no idea what he is saying. With tool you never know if these things are gonna be serious or not.

ARMZ
01-28-2005, 01:25 AM
I not so sure he's screaming his lungs out in the back ground, it's more of what you said, mellow, that part where he says suck me dry throughout that 2 minutes of mellowness. There's also the part where he's, what's a word for it, dribbling? uttering? like he's speaking in tongue. But no it doesn't bother me what so ever.

scummonk
02-02-2005, 05:44 AM
(God haven't been in these parts for a while! Since 2004. Jus thought I would swoop on as I have "Jimmy" blasting out, and I'm bored)

I don't think there is some meanin in this screaming part, it just sounds cool. Haha, but there might be, but we will never know. It builds very well, one of the best parts of the song i think.

Fractal
02-26-2005, 02:56 AM
I always thought a bird was being set on fire during that part.

Cyanide ChrYst
02-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I always thought a bird was being set on fire during that part.

I think it's like two voices, one whispering and one screaming. Both volumes are turned down, and it makes it nearly impossible to understand. All I can hear is

"Why are you suckin' all this why are you why sucking sucking suck it"

paraflux
03-02-2005, 06:30 AM
I heard that this song has only been performed once live, due to the strain it puts on Maynard's voice. I think the entire point of the song is that it costs the label future money by demanding a song like this be put on the record, due to the fact that if the label forces them to do something, the band will hurt themselves doing it, fucking the label in the ass.

Fractal
03-07-2005, 12:39 PM
i heard that during a live performance,people heard him talking about mutalating someone,and then eating them..................creepy.

You're right on the money! Also maybe the PHOENIX lights. See, I've read this song before and it turns out that it is NOT what is being said in the background. But more of a variation. See, tool was denied a award becuase of a ritual involving 'the sacrifice of innocense..' being said 'in a low tone under one of the songs' or so the WIERDO BMB would have us believe. I may be wang (sic), but I think no other song is better to say "SUCK MY DICK" on that cd than Ticks and Leeches. Think about that, sacrificing innocense, felatio, phoenix...etc. If not, well, that's what color I give the bird. Considering rock Star are always shoving their nuts in your Face. So yeah, if he was talking about mutilating someone and then eating them, it would fit totally in with a Mass I have in mind.

Jefe
03-18-2005, 05:29 AM
I heard that this song has only been performed once live, due to the strain it puts on Maynard's voice.

Im not sure if it was only preformed once, but I witnessed a preformance of this song in Sac ca in the summer of 2002. An amazing song live. They played it in the beginning of the set, and MJK sounded just fine for the rest of the songs. As for the inaudible screaming, it sounds like a parent yelling softly at a kid in a crowed place so that nobody can here them yelling.

FRANK THE TANK
03-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Im not sure if it was only preformed once, but I witnessed a preformance of this song in Sac ca in the summer of 2002. An amazing song live. They played it in the beginning of the set, and MJK sounded just fine for the rest of the songs. As for the inaudible screaming, it sounds like a parent yelling softly at a kid in a crowed place so that nobody can here them yelling.

no way his voice could have been ok....even if he is maynard. and yes from wut ive been told its only been performed once

Benji
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
It has been performed more than once. They began playing it towards the end of the Lateralus tour, and in most cases Maynard's vocals were run through synthesizers. In one of the two live videos I have of 'Ticks And Leeches' being performed, the vocals were saturated with effects so Maynard obviously didn't have to go all out. Which is understandable, because after recording the album version he lost his voice for three weeks. He had refused to perform the song live because of that, but as I said, towards the end of the tour the vocals were ran through synthesizers so there wasn't a problem.

Led Grudge
04-12-2005, 05:56 AM
I have a live version from Brixton Academy in May 2002 where the band opens with Ticks and Leeches. Pretty awsome version too.