PDA

View Full Version : the trend

paraflux
01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
I have said this before; the last song on any tool record could very well go on the next record. Undertow sounds like Opiate (the song) more than any other song on Opiate (the record). Keep in mind that when I say "sounds like" I am also incorporating structure, feel, and dynamics moreso than the actual sound of the song. Flood pushes us towards the organized chaos of AEnima, and Third Eye is a precursor to the spirally trippiness of Lateralus. I dont have any concrete expectations for the next record, but I imagine it will follow the trend and be a lot like D/R/T in structure (or lack of) and feel.

IC
01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Maybe the grudge if its supposed to be heavier, but good observation.

GregoryWohlwend
01-25-2005, 01:51 AM
I have said this before; the last song on any tool record could very well go on the next record. Undertow sounds like Opiate (the song) more than any other song on Opiate (the record). Keep in mind that when I say "sounds like" I am also incorporating structure, feel, and dynamics moreso than the actual sound of the song. Flood pushes us towards the organized chaos of AEnima, and Third Eye is a precursor to the spirally trippiness of Lateralus. I dont have any concrete expectations for the next record, but I imagine it will follow the trend and be a lot like D/R/T in structure (or lack of) and feel.

very interesting, i never looked at it like this... however the last songs on undertow etc. are not EXACTLY floor and so-on, yet i think you may be on to something... and if this next album has anything to do with the splendor and euphoria of D/R/T i'll die a happy man.

Yetzirah
01-25-2005, 07:23 AM
... and if this next album has anything to do with the splendor and euphoria of D/R/T i'll die a happy man.

Fuck yes ... wow, imagine a whole album as one song ... kindof thing.

I think that if it is something like D/R/T, and as it is supposed to be influenced by fantomas/meshuggah ... it should be very amazing, sort of trippy, heavy reflection drummy sounding piece of art ... type thing.

But, tool will definately not cock it up and produce something shit, thats for certain, so we can all wait in peace, and be thankful when this masterpiece comes out.

symbiosis
01-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Nice theory... but I don't buy it... I want to expect the unexpected.

IC
01-25-2005, 09:54 AM
yeah- Im sure it will be totally different- I also expect to hate it. My favorite albums are all ones I hated but I had the wonderful experiance of them growing on me like crazy

Yetzirah
01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I hope i don't expect to love it then hate it ...

paraflux
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
very interesting, i never looked at it like this... however the last songs on undertow etc. are not EXACTLY floor and so-on, yet i think you may be on to something... and if this next album has anything to do with the splendor and euphoria of D/R/T i'll die a happy man.

Not exactly floor? /confused...
It is almost as if the last song on the record belongs more on the next record than the one it is on.

nipploleon dynomight
01-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Lateralus kicked ass

IC
01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Not exactly floor? /confused...
It is almost as if the last song on the record belongs more on the next record than the one it is on.
flood, you mean? sorry just confused

paraflux
01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Read what you wrote and then wonder why we are both confused.

GregoryWohlwend
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
the "R" key is very close to the "D" key, if something doesn't make sense just look at the position of the keys on the keyboard and the typo will reveal iyself.

IC
01-26-2005, 04:46 PM
ah yes sorry.

Elgyn
01-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I've heard you mention this before paraflux, and I like the idea. I hope it follows the trend; it'd be great.

IC
01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
It would foreshadow some sick stuff

Andy DV
01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
i really don't see the correlation you're trying to make, only that most of their albums end on a kickass song, and the following album always kicks ass. so if that's true, yes, the pattern shall continue!

IC
01-27-2005, 06:53 AM
i really don't see the correlation you're trying to make, only that most of their albums end on a kickass song, and the following album always kicks ass. so if that's true, yes, the pattern shall continue!
I think he's saying more of style- Opiate, if not even just how its recorded, sounds alot like the stuff on undertow, whearas the other songs on opiate dont as much. Then Flood hints to the darker, fuller stuff you'll find on aenima, like pushit and jimmy. Third Eye is a huge step to stuff you'll find common on lateralus. disp/reflection/triad...?

The_Patient
01-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Maybe each album is like a chapter in a greater picture.
One that just keeps unfolding; this might explain why tool isn't just another band;
the more "chapters" you read the more transfixed you become?

IC
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I hope tool's just a band- they're not the most optimistic propheciers.

The_Patient
01-28-2005, 11:57 AM

*sigh* damn InnerCombustion likes to pick on me.

... I'm going to go rock back and forth while holding me knees
in the corner of my room now...

IC
01-28-2005, 12:13 PM
im not pickin on you - just continuing the conversation. Lets keep it rolling fucker. ;)

The_Patient
01-28-2005, 01:22 PM
im not pickin on you - just continuing the conversation. Lets keep it rolling fucker. ;)

Ok... fu-u..........

fucker.....

?

IC
01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
heh

Winter
02-04-2005, 03:39 AM
That is very perceptive of you, paraflux.

Imagine a double album with only three looong tracks on each CD! D/R/T are some of my favorite tracks, so I would love that idea.

SiGuy
02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Imagine a double album with only three looong tracks on each CD! D/R/T are some of my favorite tracks, so I would love that idea.

i dont think it would be a double album merely because you would have to change cd's each time you listen to it and that would make it more like NIN's the Fragile(a failed attempt at making a really long album, but sadly it just broke the rythm). thus making it harder to keep the momentum of the music. i know that when i listen to lateralus or aenima i have to listen to the entire thing at once or it just doesnt feel like the same album. undertow and opiate not so much though.

Winter
02-05-2005, 04:25 AM
i dont think it would be a double album merely because you would have to change cd's each time you listen to it and that would make it more like NIN's the Fragile(a failed attempt at making a really long album, but sadly it just broke the rythm). thus making it harder to keep the momentum of the music. i know that when i listen to lateralus or aenima i have to listen to the entire thing at once or it just doesnt feel like the same album. undertow and opiate not so much though.
I agree somewhat, although I feel like that about most music. I rarely put on a CD if I know I won't/can't listen to the whole thing. This especially applies to Tool. A double album could work if the different discs had different themes or sound, like two previous Tool albums.

paraflux
02-07-2005, 11:39 AM

I think they are. What could be better than a mass exodus, even though it rips the throats away from all those who choose not to come?

5th Eye
02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Who thinks that a music DVD would be cool? You could fit a lot more music on it, I think, even though it wouldn't be playable in CD players...

Okay maybe it wouldn't be so cool. I'll go with the 2 CD and live DVD combo.

IC
02-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Who thinks that a music DVD would be cool? You could fit a lot more music on it, I think, even though it wouldn't be playable in CD players...

Okay maybe it wouldn't be so cool. I'll go with the 2 CD and live DVD combo.
lol

IC
02-09-2005, 06:58 PM
I think another trend that might be happening is.. it's kind of like the formula:y=x^3.

Where the albums keep getting better and better. With Lateralus, it seems as they "went to the side". Now, they'll grow exponentially again. It's like half-inverted parabola where the album lateralus is the "inflection point."
I agree. I remember thinking each time I got a tool album..ok it can only be this good..and it then was 7 times over what I thought possible. Thats why im so excited about the new album.