PDA

View Full Version : color references

thaddeus
01-30-2003, 03:11 PM
did anyone ever notice that the colors mentioned in the answering machine message part are chakra colors?
it starts with blue right when he wakes up and descends to red as he approaches the two people. it makes it seem like he's coming down from a trip or some spiritual experience and the whole narrative is him reorientating himself to his enviornment.
just a little something to chew on.
thaddeus

jadedfool
02-10-2003, 02:05 PM
That's a bit unfair to say that they were chakra colors and the you were coming down. First off, there are 7 all told, starting with white at the crown, then violet, indigo, and so forth reversing the colors of the rainbow.
But yes, if they were to be termed directly as chakra colors, then they are going in descending order starting from the throat (which is where blue lies) and going down to the lower genitalia (depending on your sex obviously).
More implications - chakras are most often opened in times of meditation. Meditations will allow you insight into many things - sometimes religious, and sometimes will make you see the mundane in a new light.
Honestly, one should probably look at the colors in the form of emotions. When it is stated that he is feeling "blue," the man (I'm assuming of course) is very down. He's confused and holds a knife in his hands. Perhaps his hands are sticky from the blood he let out - you don't really know...the genius of Maynard leaves the entire scene vague.
He touches the ground and now his color is green. This one may or may not be an emotion. If you happen to be Druidic, one always attempts to give his life blood back to the earth whence it came. By doing so, he has strengthened a sort of temporary bond with Gaia/Mother Earth, however you wish to term Her.
And red, well first off, the poor man is locked outside of his car. But, I think the real importance lies in the leather camera case. *side note where's the camera?
But the most important clue that Maynard gives the listener is the act of the person hanging up the phone after the scene.

thaddeus
02-12-2003, 09:41 AM
i know that it doesn't include all of the colors, but that part of the song always reminded me of the carlos castaneda books. there were a few times while he was being trained that he would pass out after a powerful spiritual experience and wake up dissorientated and not totally back together yet. after which, don juan would nurse him back to health. i'm not saying that this is necessarily going on here, they just seem like similar experiences.
oh, i don't think it's maynard talking at the end, it's credited to bill the landlord and supposed to be an answering machine message.
thanks for replying
thaddeus

jadedfool
02-13-2003, 05:30 PM
It wasn't that I didn't think it was a possibility. Quite honestly, I've gone into deep meditations myself and been entirely disoriented. However, sometimes it has to deal with the emotions i tried to rid myself of before i began. Also, the entire message is said in monotone - emotionless. And yes, you are correct that it was not Maynard and the credits do say to bill the landlord...it's in the FAQ...
I just felt that the significance of the phone being hung up is great...
And you're very welcome for the reply/ies... =)

Jerk-Off
03-04-2003, 01:22 PM
i know this is getting off the topic of colors, but...

what makes you think its his car? as in.. owned by him. i think its only "his" in the same way that the ground and the people are his. i always just assumed that they belonged to the tiny people who were off enjoying a nice walk and taking pictures and whatnot.

also.. the first part kinda sounds territorial, sort of animal-like how everything is "his". of course an animal wouldnt go try the doors to the car, but.. just adding another thought.

it seems like he is going to go kill those people or something... the whole red color imagery. what do you guys think?