PDA

View Full Version : Christianity vs. veiled vulnerability

eslupminoyler
01-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Assumptions cannot be made about christians as a whole we may not believe in the same aspects. I definetely believe in God but I'm not a big fan of organized religion. Being close to God or praying in no way diminishes one's own strength.
Maynards lyrics are harsh, so intricate, and brilliant that it tests my faith.
I often ponder whether Maynard is ever honest. Once I had a bizarre notion that we were in fact his pawns and that his already apparent brilliance was veiled to the idea that his brilliance goes beyond the point putting some of you people under a spell. sort of like chess pieces. It would make sense in part because Tool fans have been growing perpetually over this past decade.
Who's to say thinking for yourself is not a religion.
Would that not make it trite and evil just as Maynard describes christianity.
If he is telling us to think for ourselves and we do just that.
THEN ARE WE REALLY THINKING FOR OURSELVES AFTER ALL?
OR ARE WE SWALLOWING HIS FACADE?
just a different thought, I think he is a genius in more ways than a few, and TOOl is the best band since ZEppElin

Nardpet
01-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Seems to me that Maynard's lyrics are centered more on those who have corrupted religion into a tool. The ones who profit from it and twist it around to use as justification for their means have desacrated much of religion and I think he is mainly attacking those individuals, and that group. Religion is a personal, spiritual, and sacred thing, and he doesn't attack those whose faith deviate from his own as long as your belief is pure and unadulterated by exterior influence.

eslupminoyler
01-30-2003, 08:15 AM
well said, but I also think that his motives aren't seen directly on the surface. I think he is more Diabolical.

reign3
01-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Nobody can know for sure what Maynard is really thinking. So we should just listen to the lyrics and learn what we can from them, but not let them be more powerful than what we believe in. If that makes any sense