PDA

View Full Version : bill hicks

spook
11-20-2002, 11:01 AM
admittedly, i don't know much about bill hicks but the quote from him that stuck in my craw was the one about the waitress who exclaimed"what are you reading for", to which he replied in his act "so i won't be a fucking waitress." does a stand-up comedian need to judge anyone. that waitress
could possibly have done more for mankind than he ever did. my creed is; never trust anyone who talks for a living, be it politician, preacher, or lead singer for tool. i think that ,ironically, mr. keenan has always exibited the same disdain for many of his fans.

Satan
11-21-2002, 03:17 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm sorry, but you just totally missed the point of the reading thing, misrepresented Bill Hicks, and you smell like fish. The point of the waffle waitress joke was society's opinion of reading. The waitress commented "why read when you can just flip on the tube?" which greatly angered and insulted Hicks. If you want an accurate representation of Hicks, check out www.billhicks.com, or download some of his stuff, I'd recommend Rant in e-minor. And while you're at it, you just might want to take Bill's advice, take some psylocibin mushrooms and "Squeegee your third fucking eye!!!" I definitely agree with your philosophy of don't trust anybody who talks for a living, but this guy is dead. Bill Hicks was one of the greatest visionaries this world has ever known, and Tool's tribute to him, Third Eye rules too. Drugs can open up your eyes, just be careful not to force them shut forever. Or if you do, don't be afraid, death is nothing more than an illusion. Simply, the message of this song can be summed up in Hick's bits at the beginning. You ask who he was to judge the waitress, and Hicks himself could probably answer that. "Are you aware each load contains 200 million sperm? That means I have wiped entire civilizations off my chest! You are not special!" Hicks viewed all people with a certain contempt. He is the founder of the People Who Hate People Political Party, and judged everybody, not just some stupid redneck waffle waitress. Its an outright fucking shame he left us so early. He could have helped purge the collective human subconscious.

ragna16
11-21-2002, 04:54 PM
He really wasn't ahead of his time. I wish he was still around though. I particularly like his political freedom and looking of the hypocracy and moronics of democratic nations on such issues as smoking, drugs, and religion. I remember one time he got pissed at some guy who shouted 'freebird' during his act, and he let loose with a cool rage which ended 'Hitler had the right idea, he was just an under-achiever'.

That's why I like him, he was not afraid to lash out at stupidity.

spook
11-22-2002, 09:08 AM
I do get the point of "the reading thing". But , imagine a level playing field where "stupid redneck" waffle waitresses have the same opportunities in life as someone who has the time and luxury to just make obervations for a living. (there are so many factors to an argument like this it's pointless.) Anyway, who's gonna bring out the damn waffles! We all have our place. I value the guy that makes my trash disappear when I put it at the curb just as much as someone that society considers a "valuable contributor". As for death, I'm not afraid, I'm not a christian. And finally, given the drugs Mr. Hicks speaks of, many of the sperm in his load were probably deformed and not viable. I know , I'm stupid, well, it's nice to have met you and you have a decent day. Hey wait, what do you mean I smell like fish?!!

Niaboc
11-24-2002, 04:49 PM
personally i find you hypocritical...why come to a tool forum, in a topic titled bill hicks. and tell everyone not to trust either mjk or bill hicks.
as the late Bill Hicks himself said, 'im not tellin you how to live your life, im just offering options'.
Next you claim your not christian whilst bitching about people judging other people (which is traditionally a christian no-no).
'Satan' covered how you took that particular skit out of context adequately anyways.

'Boc