PDA

View Full Version : I still love me, the skin of me.

ThreeDeviations
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
1:48

I still love me
Still love me
But you didn't need
To cheat on me
Steal off of me
Steal off of me
But you didn't need to cheat on me

2:45

I still love me
The skin of me
But you didn't need to shit on me
I'm pushing and shoving me
Pushing and shoving me

Carny_Handles
12-17-2004, 11:25 AM

I still love me
Still love me
But you didn't need
To cheat on me
Steal off of me
Steal off of me

I still love me
The skin of me
Pushing and shoving me

haha thanks man, thats actually why i was here, i was reading along w/the lyrics and i was thinking wtf, there's some stanzas missing.

I think for the most part you're right, but im pretty sure it "you still love me"

ThreeDeviations
12-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I used to think it was "you still love me.." and it still could be...
but I don't hear the "you." It sounds more like "I" than "you."

The one at 1:48 definitely sounds like "I."
The one at 2:45 isn't quite as clear...
I suppose it could be "ya" still love me... but I hear "I" more than "you" or "ya."

ThreeDeviations
08-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I still love me
Still love me
But you didn't need
To cheat on me
Steal off of me / still love me- (not certain)
Steal off of me / still love me

I still love me
The skin of me
Pushing and shoving me

Actually, in this verse, he says "But SHE didn't need to shit on me..."

sounds like infidelity to me.

pathological2
08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I think you got that wrong:

"I still love me
I still love me
Pushit on me
Pushit on me"

You know, like the title.....

pathological2
08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I think you got that wrong:

"I still love me
I still love me
Pushit on me
Pushit on me"

You know, like the title.....

(the song is obviously not about a girl)

pathological2
08-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Oh yeah, the "aenima" version is "I still love me" and the "salival" version is "you still love me."

ThreeDeviations
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
wrong, try listening more attentively.

follow it along with what I have written.

right, I'm sure ya have already.

right

pathological2
08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
I have listened countless times...."I still love me, but you pushit on me" (put shit and pushit are very similar, pushit and you cheat are also similar). There's no "cheat" in the song, sorry. Infedility huh.....same with 'part of me' right?

ThreeDeviations
08-17-2005, 02:44 PM
read all my posts, then get back to me about credibility.

thanks

pathological2
08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm just saying that you might be fooling yourself. I mean, you have to admit that "put shit" may be "pushit". Why would Maynard post the wrong lyrics?

ThreeDeviations
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Read my posts... there are plenty of lyrics posted on this page... that are NOT what is actually said during the song...

one example, Prison Sex...

First time he says... "Close enough so I can smell you.."

the 2nd time through that verse he says "close enough so I can DROWN you.."

that's merely one example.

why does he do it?

I'll ask him when I see him.

awaking
08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm just saying that you might be fooling yourself. I mean, you have to admit that "put shit" may be "pushit". Why would Maynard post the wrong lyrics?
it doesnt have the lyricsw he posted on toolshed.. thats where maynard posted them,. it def sounds liek cheat on me, after reading this post i am starting to believe thats what he says there. def sounds like but you didnt need to shit on me.. or whatever

pathological2
08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
I agree that it sounds like what you originally posted. I thought it was something like that too the first couple times I heard the song. But I hear "pushit" now. It's just the way he says it, I think. "Cheat" wouldn't make sense considering the song is in no way connected to a woman.

ThreeDeviations
08-19-2005, 06:07 PM

I still love me
Still love me
But you didn't need
To cheat on me
Steal off of me
Steal off of me
But you didn't need to cheat/pushit on me

to me, the last line sounds most like "but you didn't need to shit on me"

I still love me
The skin of me
Pushing and shoving me

The Pushit being the name of the song theory.... it's not from "put shit." I will concede that it's possible that at the end of the 1:48 passage.. the last line could be "but you didn't need to pushit on me.." but it's most likely cheat or "you didn't need to shit on me" is what is most clearly heard.

ThreeDeviations
08-19-2005, 06:32 PM
you say Pushit is derived from "put shit" on me....

he says "BUT YOU'RE" at 1:24... "pushing, shoving me, pushing, shoving me... pushing, shoving me... pushing, shoving me..."

so how does "But you're Put Shit" on me make sense?

the "PUSHIT" is derived from... you PUSH SHIT on me.... PUSHING SHIT on him...

3:41... PUSH IT ON ME.. PUSH IT ON ME.. PUSHIT ON ME... you're PUSHING and SHOVING..."

what is this but my reflection?
who am I judge or strike you down?
BUT YOU'RE

he's basically saying he has the right to be pissed because the person he's singing about in the song is pushing all this shit on him. PUSHIT = pushing shit... which makes him ask himself the question... who am I to judge you, but it's hard not to when you're shoving all this shit on me.

pathological2
08-20-2005, 03:13 AM
Ok, I didn't say it was "put shit". I said it could be mistaken for that. It is "push it"! And I don't think the song is about another person at all. This song is clearly a song derived from the squaring-off between state (like "Undertow", "H.", "Intolerance", and APC's "The Rose"). The "you" is not a person; it's inside. The internal snake and/or the third eye reality. "What are YOU but my reflection?" (Salival). Come on.

48&2
08-20-2005, 07:06 AM
and all this time I thought he was saying 'shit on me, shit on me...'

awaking
08-20-2005, 09:01 AM
not about a a woman? about a relationship? what the hell is it about.. "I'm alive when you're touch me, alive when you're shoving me down.." "trade it all for a piece of mind" shes out cheating, shes out doing somehintg, he just needs piece of mind about something from her. and the closing lines? how can you say that isn't about another person? what does everyone take the song as.. esp yous who said it isn't aout awoman..
{side note}
I listened to this song while on K/mushrooms an though i know it isn't about that.. after hearing the song for 9 ?years an knowing the album was written about/on K' It out the song under a new light, it sounded so much better, but exactly the same at the same time.. I deffintly believe they used K while writing this album esp this song.. it fit so perfect witht he mood of the drug.

awaking
08-20-2005, 09:05 AM
after re reading the lyrics, I can see this song as just him on drugs..in a way, i also see it as it about a lover.. the part about persuding them abother wway.. most of the lyrics would make u to believe its about a failing relationship

theres no love in fear? very true.. you can't be in love if you fear they are heating on you, or they have doubt they love you, not love..

pathological2
08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Please read "my meaning" to see my interpretation. Don't you think Maynard uses "you" when referring to his inner world? I do in most Tool songs. "I'm alive when you're touching me"....it's a METAPHOR. Like in "H." when he says "Days away I still feel you touching me". I do not think that's a person either. Maynard's lyrics run way deeper than that. Let me explain the squaring-off between state. It's being in a different reality (one brought on by the use of any drug that produces some sort of psychosis). In this reality there is a storm between you're true self and the snake (or internal monster, beast, devil, whatever you call it - the destructive part of YOURSELF). This is the storm in "H." and the tug of war so eliquently described in "Pushit" and "Undertow". The snake is trying to get control of your willl. You are too. If you win the battle, it's like the you're more connected to your true self/spirit and you change for the better. The best song that describes this is APC's "The Rose".
"Don't disturb the beast
The tempermental goat, the snail
While HE'S feeding on the rose....
So no longer will I play YOUR doe.....
YOUR deer in the headlights shot down and terrified
When push comes to pull comes to shove
Comes to step around this self-destructive dance
That never would've ended till I ROSE
I roar aloud here, I WILL I AM!"
(That battle, HE WON).

SpiralOutKeepGoing
08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I used to think it was "you still love me.." and it still could be...
but I don't hear the "you." It sounds more like "I" than "you."

The one at 1:48 definitely sounds like "I."
The one at 2:45 isn't quite as clear...
I suppose it could be "ya" still love me... but I hear "I" more than "you" or "ya."

As long as I have been listening to Pushit I have always thought it was 'ya still love me....'

ThreeDeviations
08-20-2005, 11:05 PM
the best examples of "squaring off" is Jimmy...

and 4 degrees somewhat too

where the whole song is basically God talking/pleading to Maynard.

(even though of course maynard wrote it)
(even though of course maynard wrote it)

ThreeDeviations
08-20-2005, 11:17 PM
There are numerous songs where he's referring to himself solely in the song... I agree.

But Pushit isn't one of them.

ThreeDeviations
08-20-2005, 11:22 PM
and he, or anyone doesn't have to be on a drug to wage the inner war.

It's a sober reality.

pathological2
08-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Maynard admittingly takes drugs and writes under their influence. And as for the squaring-off between, there are songs on every record. "Sweat", "Intolerance", "Undertow", "Pushit", and "Schism" are prime examples. "Rest your trigger on my finger"....Come on!!! A woman? I don't think so.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 07:56 AM
There are numerous songs where he's referring to himself solely in the song... I agree.

But Pushit isn't one of them.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 08:11 AM
"And as for the squaring-off between, there are songs on every record."

I dont disagree, I dont know why you keep insisting on this.

H, Jimmy, Sweat, Undertow and 4 degrees... are all undeniably written from this perspective, with 4 degrees being his "divine self" instead of always the "snake" talking to him.

I do not agree Schism is solely about himself.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 09:39 AM
First off, Intermission is the segue to Jimmy.

The sound of a carnival or circus is what you associate with childhood... and just general happiness/innocence.

The sudden, alarming and erie break in Intermission represents the sudden, unexpected change that occured in the author's childhood at age 11.
So everything went from being happy, peaceful and general carefree bliss of being 11 years old... to having something happen very suddenly that changed his (their) world.

As for the song Jimmy. Most people know it's a reference to Maynard "James" Keenan. "Jimmy" representing the youth of Maynard.
The actual song was incredibly written. It's Maynard talking to Jimmy. So you have to perceive the song as if it's two totally different people, even though they're both MJK....

Maynard asking Jimmy....

Jimmy, what was it like to see
the face of your own stability
suddenly look away?
...leaving you with the dead and hopeless.

Eleven and "she" (jimmy) was gone...
eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
you're waiting for ME to free you by coming home...

Jimmy, you move me with a sound.
Opening me within a gesture.
Drawing me down and in, you're showing me where it all began, jimmy.

Jimmy, it took so long for me to realize that you hold the light that's been leading me back home...
(Maynard finally accepts that in order to heal... he must reconnect with jimmy.)

Under a dead Ohio sky,
Jimmy has been and will be waiting,
defending his light and wondering...
"Where the hell have I been?"
Jimmy, I've been sleeping, lost and numb...
but I am so glad that I have finally found you...
Now I am wide awake and heading home.

Hold your light, Jimmy.
Lead me through each gentle step by step
by inch my loaded memory.

Jimmy, I'll move to heal
as soon as my pain allows
so we can both move on together...

so hold your light...
jimmy, lead me through each gentle step by step
by inch by loaded memory....
Until you and me, are ONE.
So glow jimmy, glow....

I'm heading back home.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 09:42 AM
SCHISM

I think the song is about a once meaningful, passionate, healthy relationship...

However, now the relationship has progressively gotten worse... to the point where the two people have become basically opposites.
Hence, "mildewed and smoldering" and "fundamental differing.." Mildew, and something that's smoldering are stark opposites.

Pure intention juxtaposed is necessary in a meaningful relationship.... but as any relationship wears on, that pure intention is tested through time... possibly eroding or "disintegration" along the way.

"The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so we cannot see to reach and end..."
(their mutual passion, conviction and perspective)
These were the attributes that originally brought them together, however, now it's ironic that these same "attributes" are what's keeping them apart.

"No fault, none to blame... that doesn't mean I don't desire to point the finger, blame the other...watch the temple topple over, to bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication."
Maynard basically saying that he doesn't blame the other person in the relationship for having their own opinions and conviction... In fact, he wouldn't want it any other way. However, he still feels that he is the one who's standing for what is right... so the urge to "point the finger" still exists. "Rediscover communication" just explains that in their relationship, and in our lives as human beings... we need to be able to compromise and understand what's important in order to evolve individually, and globally.

"The poetry that comes from the squaring off between...
and the circling is worth it.
Finding beauty in the dissonance."

Although the feud between the two people isn't good for their relationship... The thoughts, emotion, and energy conjured from this "squaring off" can actually help create something positive if it's processed and channeled correctly.
The "circling is worth it" line, I have always associated the expression"they're going 'round n 'round over that issue." Hence, the "circling." Repeatedly discussing an issue in the relationship... going 'round n 'round about the topic of debate.

"Strangled by our coveting.."
I don't think this refers to any material possessions.... It's that their relationship is being suffocated because they both desire different things from it.

("Strangled by our coveting" could be material things if you apply this song globally.... land, weapons, power etc.)

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion... between supposed lovers/brothers."

Sounds like the two have separated and have not communicated (cold silence) recently. This lack of communication between the two (at least from the author's perspective) really makes him less sympathetic/caring toward the other person.

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers.."
Lack of global unity, due to poor communication on every level.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Super-Ego vs. ID = Undertow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the "sense your enemy..." isn't the only part of the song where he sings something different than what is listed in the lyrics.
Here are actually what is said during this song.

Two times down!
I've been struckdumb by a voice
that speaks from deep
beneath the endless water
that's twice as clear as heaven
twice as loud as reason
deep and rich like silt on a riverbed...
just as neverending.

Currents mouth below me
opens up around me
suggests 'n beckons all while swallowing
surrounds 'n drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable, so comfortable.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, - senseyourenemy.

How can I 'this bring me back to my knees?

Third time that ...
I've been baptized by a voice that screams, from deep beneath the calm of the water that's half as high as heaven, half as clear as reason. ("reason" repeated again faintly)
Clear and black like silt on a riverbed.
'Just as neverending. . .
Currents mouth below me, opens up around me.
Suggests and beckons all while swallowing....
'surrounds and drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable, too comfortable.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, 'sense your enemy.

How can I let this happen?

Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant.

How can I 'this bring me back to my knees?

Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a
Eu phor i a

I'm back down I'm in the undertow.
I'm helpless, and I'm awake...
I'm in the undertow.
Way down.... beneath the undertow.
There doesn't seem no other way out of the undertow....

Euphoria.

An explanation of the song?

I agree that it's about an overwhelming craving.

The song is an ongoing "conversation" and tug o' war between Maynard's SUPER EGO and his ID. (Freud)

The ID narrates most of the song.... When you read it below, think of it like you're reading a play.

In the first verse of the song, the "ID" refers to a voice... that voice, is his SUPER-EGO.

Maynard's personal tug of war in his head-

ID:
(ID acknowledging that it hears the suggestions from the super-ego... but isn't ready to concede its desires, just because it's getting lectured from the super-ego.)

"Two times down!
I've been struckdumb by a "voice" (voice is the super-ego)
that speaks from deep
beneath the endless water
that's twice as clear as heaven
twice as loud as reason
deep and rich like silt on a riverbed...
just as neverending.

ID:
(giving an analogy of going under the influence of his addiction. The craving grinning, whispering and swallowing him whole... )

Currents mouth below me
opens up around me
suggests 'n beckons all while swallowing
surrounds 'n drowns and wipes me away.

ID:
(sensing the super-ego isn't going to be happy about the decision of surrendering to the craving- tries to justify his decision)

But I'm so comfortable.... so comfortable."

SUPER-EGO:
(The super-ego won't rationalize comfort from the ID... The super-ego is frustrated, pissed off, and doesn't want to hear another word from ID now)

"Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.... sense your enemy!

SUPER-EGO:
( Super Ego realizes he's once again been dominated by the ID, and is frustrated that it let the ID get the best [or worst] of the situation.. asks itself...)

How can I (let) this bring me back to my knees?"

ID:
(ID is narrating/explaining/singing again. Getting ready to give in to the urge once again. Acknowledging it still hears the super-ego's voice of reason. The Super-Ego's message is clear and neverending... and now the super-ego is "screaming"... yet, the ID remains calm and unphazed)

"Third time that ...
I've been baptized by a voice that screams, from deep beneath the calm of the water that's half as high as heaven, half as clear as reason.
Clear and black like silt on a riverbed.
'Just as neverending. . .
Currents mouth below me, opens up around me.
Suggests and beckons all while swallowing....
'surrounds and drowns and wipes me away.

But I'm so comfortable. Too comfortable."

Super-Ego: (Super-Ego is frustrated once again at the ID- and now the Super-Ego is even starting to question "itself" because it wasn't strong enough to stop the ID from acting once again... but Super-Ego lectures again)

"Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.... Sense your enemy!

How can I let this happen?"

ID:
(coming down from its high... feeling depressed that it is no longer being consumed by the high... and trembling at the thought of having to wait... for another period of pleasure. ID realizes its negative effect on Maynard's/Super-Ego's overall well-being... and is feeling guilty and vulnerable and over-the-top... like a junkie without a fix)

"Why don't you kill me? I am weak and numb and insignificant!"

Super-Ego:
(Super-ego realizes he's gettin whipped by something he should easily be managing...)

"How can I let this bring me back to my knees?!"

ID:
(Here, the ID basically needling the Super-Ego with soft whispers of "euphoria..." The ID is answering the Super-Ego's question of "How can I let this bring me back to my knees..?" Even the super-ego at this point is being overwhelmed by the craving... and the ID tells him why. Even the super-ego cannot deny the pleasure at this point)

"Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a. Eu phor i a."

Super-Ego-
(The super-ego has now given up... it too, has now totally been consumed by the craving. So now the Super-Ego and ID are hand in hand... in the undertow together. The Super-Ego's strength and morality have been suffocated. The Super-Ego is conscious [awake] of this, which makes it even more disturbing.... it knows it is wrong, but it's helpless. This unfortunately has happened before... despite it's genuine attempt to squelch the ID's influence on the overall self)

Super-Ego:

"I'm back down.
I'm in the undertow.
I'm helpless and I'm awake...
I'm in the undertow...
way down beneath the undertow
there doesn't seem no other way out of the undertow.
...Euphoria..."

pathological2
08-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Nevermind "pushit", I find it awesome that you see "Jimmy" the EXACT way I see it (and 4 Degrees). You rock!

pathological2
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah, just a remark about "Schism". I believe it's about establishing communication between yourself and your true self or spirit (or even god within). That's why it's before "parabola". The sought after connection is established.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 04:04 PM
yeah, the "between supposed lover/brothers" sort of leads me to believe it's about more than just him... but you could be right.

Cold and Ugly is another one where he refers to himself... thought you might appreciate this one...

The "her" he makes repeated reference to in Cold and Ugly is himself.

Cold and Ugly.

Underneath the skin and jewelry,

"Jewelry" doesn't mean earrings, necklace, rings.. etc.
Jewelry means all of his habits, behaviors, attitude, mannerisms, walls... and so on- that help him to keep this facade operational, and appearing to be genuine to anyone who comes in contact with him.

Hidden in her words and eyes- Is a wall that's cold and ugly and she's scared as hell.

He doesn't want people to notice his insecurity.
So although you'd never auditorily/visually detect insecurity in his words or eyes... it definitely exists. He just makes sure that it remains "hidden."
He's not proud of this, it makes him feel cold and ugly inside.

Trembling at the thought of feeling.

He's scared to totally open up and come to terms with his past, present, future. He'd rather stay in this shell of insecurity because he feels safe/less vulnerable here.

Wide awake and keeping distance.

He's conscious of the wall(s) he has up... and actually prefers it.

Nothing seems to penetrate her 'cause she's scared as hell.

His defenses act as a shield against any stimulus that he'd consider a threat to his facade. So although people might perceive him to be a pillar of strength, which nobody, or no-thing can penetrate. He knows and feels, otherwise. Despite his walls of protection... he still feels very vulnerable, alone and scared as hell.

I am frightened to. (NOT "too" as many assume)

He's saying, "I am frightened to" take down my walls / take off my jewelry....

Wide awake and keeping distance from my soul.

He's aware that he's living with these insecurities. He'd acknowledge that this is not how he'd like it to be.(soul)
However, this is how he wants it to be. (current state of mind)

I am scared like you. (or now you can say... "I am frightened "too.")

Just him saying he's a human being like the rest of us. We're all scared. We all have insecurities. We all have walls that alter our behavior / thought process.

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Cool part in Crawl Away you might not be aware of....

at 4:09

"Say........ you....... won't.... go.

I have a hard-on.... for you.. for you...

Here it is!

Straight in."

ThreeDeviations
08-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe you have a good grasp on the Prison Sex video... but if not.. see what ya think of this... I think it's pretty right on-

The video is about physical/sexual abuse... (more sexual I believe)

The tall, thin...intimidating figure in the video is the abuser... and the other character is obviously the person being abused.

The legs.... the abuser takes away the legs... so the "child" can't get away from the abuse. You notice that when the "child" is with the "parent" in one instance of the video, the legs start "running" even though they're not attached to the child's body.... the frantic movement of the legs that are hanging on the wall in the "parent's" room represents the terror going through the mind of the child when with the parent.

The page being ripped out of the book... is like the saying... "he took a page out of the book" of so n so...
The parent (tall, black, intimidating figure) rips the page out of the book... suggesting to the viewer that this abuse is a learned "behavior." He's merely taking a page out of the book out of what's already been done to him.
Abuse is cyclical.

The eyes rolling back in the child is what gets to me the most... the child knows the abuse is ready to occur again... and his fear is overwhelming... to the point where he'd just rather give in to the parent, than resist.

I think the bee is arbitrary... it could be any thing in the jar. Any thing alive.
That part of the video is just a metaphor of how powerful manipulation/abuse can be....
It shows the bee in the jar... assume the bee represents the child in the video. After a period of this abuse and mental dominance/manipulation.... the abuser OWNS the bee/child.
The parent has such control (post-abuse) over the bee/child that it can simply toy with it ... passing the bee from finger to finger... and the bee won't fly away due to this manipulation and fear.

pathological2
08-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I read that post before. I just don't agree with it. I do agree with your OVERALL meaning though. I just think that he is referring to a girl at first. Then he admits that HE FEELS THE EXACT SAME WAY. Just an opinion.

Abaculus
09-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree with your interpretation of Jimmy, Schism, and the Prison Sex video. You left out the most obvious symbol tho - when the child reaches up to take the brush at the end, the "parent" figure grabs his hand and forces it back down.

However, I disagree with your "pushit" lyrx ("I still love me"). Maynard clearly states on the live track "but you're pushin me, and I'm shoving you" and later "you're pushin and we're shovin." The song is derived from "push it" or "push shit." Here's a perspective I haven't seen yet - it could describe a negative sexual experience. The other person could be female, but I doubt it due to the "trigger" reference.

The speaker is taken advantage of in an altered state of mind by another man, and wakes up in horror the next day. The intoxicated speaker consented, but once sober feels regret and guilt. "I'm alive when your touching me not when your shoving me down" - maybe it started out consensual but went further than the speaker intended. "Push me somewhere I don't want to be" The speaker feels guilt for enjoying how the pain helped him get outside himself (think s&m). "What are you but my reflection, who am I to judge and strike you down?" The speaker is angry, but cannot assign blame because he consented...OR...maybe the speaker feels guilt because he used women for sexual gratification in the same way this man has used him.

"I saw the gap again today while you were begging me to stay..." The speaker is looking at the gap created from sex while the man professes love ("you still love me") and begs him to stay. "There's no love in fear" - the speaker knows the other man is insincere and fears the evil of the user's intent. That could support your "steal off me" interpretation. The speaker attempts to leave, but the man is "limiting his movement" and the speaker must "persuade <him> another way." The last line is sarcastic "remember I'll always love you, as I tear your fucking throat away...there'll be no other way." The user won't take no for an answer, and the speaker must use force to make an exit by choking him....sound plausible?

Abaculus
09-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Before I get heavy feedback on that interpretation, let me say it could also simply represent how humans tend to hurt the one's they love. Love, hate, and obsession are basically the same emotion, but the intent each party possesses is what changes the label. You hurt the one you love/hate either because they are exactly the same as you, or the exact opposite.

ThreeDeviations
09-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Abaculus- Welcome to the page...

Well organized thoughts-

However, I dont think it's about the drunk or high gay experience. . .

"saw the gap again today" Isn't your theory just based on a one night stand sort of thing.... "saw the gap again today" suggests it's something that he's been battling for some time.

I do agree with your last post though... I think that's generally what the song's meaning is about... although I don't know specifically how to perceive it.

Also, I claim he says that on Ænima... not necessarily elsewhere.

Abaculus
09-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Abaculus- Welcome to the page...

Well organized thoughts-

However, I dont think it's about the drunk or high gay experience. . .

"saw the gap again today" Isn't your theory just based on a one night stand sort of thing.... "saw the gap again today" suggests it's something that he's been battling for some time.

I do agree with your last post though... I think that's generally what the song's meaning is about... although I don't know specifically how to perceive it.

Also, I claim he says that on Ænima... not necessarily elsewhere.

Yeah, like I said, it was just a different perspective I hadn't seen proposed. It could be female or male, and I agree the "gap" reference may be stretching it a bit much. Maynard's lyrx are normally not that obvious, and when they are they tend to be metaphors for something else (ex. Stinkfist). The alternate lyric could be "you're still on me" as well... Perhaps the "gap" can be perceived as anything that separates humans from each other - you burn the bridge or connection and can no longer communicate and thus resort to force and manipulation.... Or the gap could be depression caused from an emotionally abusive relationship in which the one the figure loves is constantly pushing and shoving all of their problems on the other. "I'm alive when your touching me, not when your shoving me down." It is probably a lot deeper than a high homosexual experience or even a cheating girlfriend - maybe more like a comparison of the different kinds of release 2 lovers have: the sexual "pushing and shoving" in contrast to the emotional "pushing and shoving" that exists when the lovers vent their inner frustrations on each other. The "trigger" could be what ever sets the argument off and the "fault line" could be in reference to the distance or separation that is growing. I love analyzing, but I just got off a 14 hour shift......Later.

pathological2
09-05-2005, 08:41 AM
"I'm alive when your touching me
ALIVE when your shoving me down"
You got that lyric wrong. And the gap is simply the neutral place where you're neither controlled by the devil or your true self. You've pushed them both away, hence, the neutral place.

Abaculus
09-07-2005, 08:16 PM
"I'm alive when your touching me
ALIVE when your shoving me down"
You got that lyric wrong. And the gap is simply the neutral place where you're neither controlled by the devil or your true self. You've pushed them both away, hence, the neutral place.

Erroneous on my part, please excuse, but I was giving examples, not my personal definition. The "one night stand theory" and the 3 or 4 in the last post were to illustrate that a person can take any lines out of the context of a song and put their own spin on it, and "hear" what they want to hear..... I doubt its about a horny homosexual just as much as I doubt its about a slutty girlfriend (as this thread proposed), but ANY theory is valid because none are disproved.

Maynard's lyrx don't vary THAT much...."cheat on me" would be a huge variation that skews the entire song to one meaning, which maynard rarely (if ever) does.

All games aside.....your post is closest to my personal def. - that of a true self and devil fighting to gain control of the mind.....but I don't think the gap is neutral......the gap is when you've lost control....the mind becomes vulnerable in this space where the higher intelligence loses its ability to control your true self vs. your demons. In this state of panic a person....reacts.....for better or worse

pathological2
09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
could be...

LabRat404
09-19-2005, 08:43 AM
"put shit" or "pushit"

... or pun?

or poo shit :-) ... or push shit, ...

Archetypically
09-19-2005, 10:32 AM
SCHISM

I think the song is about a once meaningful, passionate, healthy relationship...

However, now the relationship has progressively gotten worse... to the point where the two people have become basically opposites.
Hence, "mildewed and smoldering" and "fundamental differing.." Mildew, and something that's smoldering are stark opposites.

Pure intention juxtaposed is necessary in a meaningful relationship.... but as any relationship wears on, that pure intention is tested through time... possibly eroding or "disintegration" along the way.

"The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so we cannot see to reach and end..."
(their mutual passion, conviction and perspective)
These were the attributes that originally brought them together, however, now it's ironic that these same "attributes" are what's keeping them apart.

"No fault, none to blame... that doesn't mean I don't desire to point the finger, blame the other...watch the temple topple over, to bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication."
Maynard basically saying that he doesn't blame the other person in the relationship for having their own opinions and conviction... In fact, he wouldn't want it any other way. However, he still feels that he is the one who's standing for what is right... so the urge to "point the finger" still exists. "Rediscover communication" just explains that in their relationship, and in our lives as human beings... we need to be able to compromise and understand what's important in order to evolve individually, and globally.

"The poetry that comes from the squaring off between...
and the circling is worth it.
Finding beauty in the dissonance."

Although the feud between the two people isn't good for their relationship... The thoughts, emotion, and energy conjured from this "squaring off" can actually help create something positive if it's processed and channeled correctly.
The "circling is worth it" line, I have always associated the expression"they're going 'round n 'round over that issue." Hence, the "circling." Repeatedly discussing an issue in the relationship... going 'round n 'round about the topic of debate.

"Strangled by our coveting.."
I don't think this refers to any material possessions.... It's that their relationship is being suffocated because they both desire different things from it.

("Strangled by our coveting" could be material things if you apply this song globally.... land, weapons, power etc.)

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion... between supposed lovers/brothers."

Sounds like the two have separated and have not communicated (cold silence) recently. This lack of communication between the two (at least from the author's perspective) really makes him less sympathetic/caring toward the other person.

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers.."
Lack of global unity, due to poor communication on every level.

I think this interpretation is dead on... only replace the two people with these two:

1. Fundamental Religious beliefs
2. Maynard

Archetypically
09-19-2005, 10:33 AM
And pathological2, it seems I almost ALWAYS agree with you. I like how you think.

pathological2
09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
thanks..cool.