PDA

View Full Version : It's a Tolkien reference...

The Fly Freer
01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
The character thing is Gollum, the box is the ring (his "precious"), and the intruding thingies are entities after the "precious." I'm not a big Tolkien fan at all, but it seems to make sense to me. Also, another thing: if anyone knows of the band Finger Eleven, I always see scenes from this video when I listen to "Stay and Drown." It'd be interesting to edit the video around that song. On that note, Adam should do a video for F11. They could use a video with better latent narrative than the "First Time" video. Wait...this is supposed to be about Tool.

Rogerwilco
02-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by The Fly Freer
The character thing is Gollum, the box is the ring (his "precious"), and the intruding thingies are entities after the "precious." I'm not a big Tolkien fan at all, but it seems to make sense to me. Also, another thing: if anyone knows of the band Finger Eleven, I always see scenes from this video when I listen to "Stay and Drown." It'd be interesting to edit the video around that song. On that note, Adam should do a video for F11. They could use a video with better latent narrative than the "First Time" video. Wait...this is supposed to be about Tool.

I am sorry but I think that "connection" is a stupid one. I am not saying your stupid, so let this act as a disclaimer to that.

I just think that idea is more of a forced connection than anything. Yeah we could say that the ring is like the addiciton that the little man has with the box, but I think comparing the two worlds in such a forced and contrived way is insulting to both works of literature(considering the music video to be a work of literature in many ways).

Convoy_X
02-03-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Rogerwilco
I just think that idea is more of a forced connection than anything. Yeah we could say that the ring is like the addiciton that the little man has with the box, but I think comparing the two worlds in such a forced and contrived way is insulting to both works of literature(considering the music video to be a work of literature in many ways).

I got go with you go this i can see the similarities in what the artists might be saying but Sober is about the addiction and LOTR is about good vs. evil and the ring represents the temptations of evil.